PDA

View Full Version : DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Foot Sues U.S

SapulpaSooner
4/11/2006, 09:16 PM
Seeks damages for distribution of humiliating gun accident video
APRIL 11--A Drug Enforcement Administration agent who stars in a popular online video that shows him shooting himself in the foot during a weapons demonstration for Florida children is suing over the tape's release, claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution. Lee Paige, 45, blames the video's release on DEA officials in an April 7 federal lawsuit filed against the U.S. government. A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige, a DEA agent since 1990, can be found below. According to the lawsuit, Paige was making a "drug education presentation" in April 2004 to a Florida youth group when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged. The shooting occurred moments after Paige told the children that he was the only person in the room professional enough to carry the weapon. The accident was filmed by an audience member, and the tape, Paige claims, was turned over to the DEA. The drug agency subsequently "improperly, illegally, willfully and/or intentionally" allowed the tape to be disseminated. As a result, Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports. Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover. He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations." :rolleyes:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Okla-homey
4/11/2006, 09:29 PM
Methinks it is instructive that Paige couldn't find a lawyer to take his "case.":D

Pricetag
4/11/2006, 11:02 PM
Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports.
The movie was funny and all, but I don't think I'd make any comments toward the guy in public, unless he's lost about 100 pounds since then.

Osce0la
4/12/2006, 08:37 AM
My question is, why was the gun actually loaded when you're in a room full of kids giving a demonstration? He just showed in the clip that accidents can and do happen...So what if the gun had been pointed in the wrong direction during this accident? The guy could've shot and killed himself (in front of a group of young children) or he could've shot one of the children in the room...

That being said, I did get a pretty good laugh the first few times I saw this video...Hearing him talk about being the only one professional enough to handle one of those guns and then BOOM!!!

The thing about this case is, in our society today, I really don't think this will be a hard one for him to win. Pain and suffering type cases are almost always an easy win, and if he can show that he has "suffered" from this tape being shown across America, he will win...

TexasLidig8r
4/12/2006, 10:52 AM
Y'all are missing the most important part of the video....

Is the teacher walking around after he shoots himself hawt or WHAT!!!!! :D

SoonerWood
4/12/2006, 11:47 AM
Not surprising it was a Glock

Taxman71
4/12/2006, 12:47 PM
2 Short? Nobody born after 1980 knows who 2 Short was.

KABOOKIE
4/12/2006, 04:10 PM
Not surprising it was a Glock

Yes, because most Glocks are unsafe when you pull the trigger. :rolleyes:

caphorns
4/12/2006, 04:18 PM
Is he forced to live in a van down by the river?

StoopTroup
4/12/2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.gossipish.com/images/DEAdude.jpg

http://www.gossipish.com/madaia/DEA_shoots_self.asx

Veritas
4/12/2006, 04:30 PM
That dude is tough as hell. I'd be crying like a kinnygarten girl if I shot myself in the foot.

RacerX
4/12/2006, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking he'll get sued by some parents.

IDIOT

Jerk
4/12/2006, 07:45 PM
"I'm da only one professional enuff n' dis room to carry dis glock foaty.. Kaboooooooooooooooooooom!

lexsooner
4/12/2006, 07:47 PM
Seeks damages for distribution of humiliating gun accident video
APRIL 11--A Drug Enforcement Administration agent who stars in a popular online video that shows him shooting himself in the foot during a weapons demonstration for Florida children is suing over the tape's release, claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution. Lee Paige, 45, blames the video's release on DEA officials in an April 7 federal lawsuit filed against the U.S. government. A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige, a DEA agent since 1990, can be found below. According to the lawsuit, Paige was making a "drug education presentation" in April 2004 to a Florida youth group when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged. The shooting occurred moments after Paige told the children that he was the only person in the room professional enough to carry the weapon. The accident was filmed by an audience member, and the tape, Paige claims, was turned over to the DEA. The drug agency subsequently "improperly, illegally, willfully and/or intentionally" allowed the tape to be disseminated. As a result, Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports. Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover. He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations." :rolleyes:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He appears to be a decorated DEA agent who is being ridiculed over the internet.

From a brief glance, it seems to me his whole case turns on Paragraph 8, in which he alleges the tape was part of a "system of records" as defined in the federal Privacy Act, 5 USC Section 552a. If he can establish this in a federal Privacy Act case, he would have a good chance of prevailing, since it be a willful and intentional disclosure by a federal agency of a document which was part of its system of records.

I frankly don't know if he can prove Paragraph 8. The tape might have been turned over to become part of an official investigatory file of an accidental discharge during a volunteer activity related to his job. Or maybe he was trying to claim workers' compensation. If either is true, he has a case. If he was just trying to show his boss it was an accident and it had no official records status with the DEA, his federal Privacy Act case will not succeed.

It is a fairly well-drafted complaint, definitely not done by the agent himself unless he is an attorney. He filed it in the proper venue for federal Privacy cases, the District of D.C.. The named Defendant, however, should be the U. S. Attorney General Gonzales, not the United States.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 07:50 PM
I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He appears to be a decorated DEA agent who is being ridiculed over the internet.

From a brief glance, it seems to me his whole case turns on Paragraph 8, in which he alleges the tape was part of a "system of records" as defined in the federal Privacy Act, 5 USC Section 552a. If he can establish this in a federal Privacy Act case, he would have a good chance of prevailing, since it be a willful and intentional disclosure by a federal agency of a document which was part of its system of records.

I frankly don't know if he can prove Paragraph 8. The tape might have been turned over to become part of an official investigatory file of an accidental discharge during a volunteer activity related to his job. Or maybe he was trying to claim workers' compensation. If either is true, he has a case. If he was just trying to show his boss it was an accident and it had no official records status with the DEA, his federal Privacy Act case will not succeed.

It is a fairly well-drafted complaint, definitely not done by the agent himself unless he is an attorney. He filed it in the proper venue for federal Privacy cases, the District of D.C.. The named Defendant, however, should be the U. S. Attorney General Gonzales, not the United States.

You are no fun.

RacerX
4/12/2006, 07:50 PM
and he is an IDIOT!!!!!

RacerX
4/12/2006, 07:51 PM
Damn it SAS, now it looks like I'm calling lex an idiot.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 07:51 PM
and he is an IDIOT!!!!!
You are the only poster in this forum with enough experience to make that judgement.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 07:52 PM
Damn it SAS, now it looks like I'm calling lex an idiot.
heh

MamaMia
4/12/2006, 08:08 PM
Too bad for him he wasnt practicing medicine, by busting innocent doctors for prescribing what he may disagree with, then his foot would have been in his mouth instead.

lexsooner
4/12/2006, 08:09 PM
The dude did a stupid thing, but I still feel sorry for him since his professional reputation could be shot, no pun intended.

Jerk
4/12/2006, 08:10 PM
Workers comp because of his own mistake at a voluntary function? Any 'professional' knows you can't holster a pistol with your finger on the trigger without the possibility of something very bad happening. He should just sue Glock, because, guns are bad, m'kay?

A normal citizen would go to jail for having an 'AD' in public like that.

Octavian
4/12/2006, 08:41 PM
Too bad for him he wasnt practicing medicine, by busting innocent doctors for prescribing what he may disagree with, then his foot would have been in his mouth instead.

zing!

Jerk
4/16/2006, 08:29 AM
I'm sorry to bring this back up, but I can't get some of the comments which Lex made out of my mind.

I just want to say one thing, and then I'll let it go.

Should lawyers make being stupid a profitable thing?

oumartin
4/16/2006, 08:34 AM
I have yet to view the video but now I have something to look forward too when I go home. I wanna see the teach

lexsooner
4/16/2006, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry to bring this back up, but I can't get some of the comments which Lex made out of my mind.

I just want to say one thing, and then I'll let it go.

Should lawyers make being stupid a profitable thing?

No, of course not. But IF, and I have no idea if it has merit, the agency released something deliberately in violation of the Privacy Act, then the agent has legitimate grounds to sue. He is representing himself, but it sure looks like some lawyer is doing his work.