PDA

View Full Version : Will Capel be a Stoops-type hire or...

Soonerus
4/11/2006, 09:05 PM
...a Blake-type hire.??? I am betting on a Stoops-type hire...I like the choice, we'll see how he does...

CtheB
4/11/2006, 09:54 PM
I don't necessarily think he will be either. He doesn't come with the credentials of Stoops, and he doesn't seem to be capable of being utterly clueless like Blake.

usmc-sooner
4/11/2006, 09:57 PM
I was stationed with the USMC in Norfolk,Va (MCSFBn) while his dad was a coach at ODU. His dad was a good coach although often outmanned by a lot of schools in that area such as Hampton, Maryland, UVA, VaTech, Duke, UNC, NCState, Georgetown.

Right now I'd say I'd say that Sampson for Capel is not a good trade but I think the kid might actually be a great hire and really ignite a spark. I like that he's young. He's 3 years younger than me. I hope he brings a lot of eneregy and a lot of excitement.

All we can do is get behind him because he is our new coach.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 10:06 PM
I would say somewhere between. I hope it's not a Blake type hire.

KC//CRIMSON
4/11/2006, 10:10 PM
...a Blake-type hire.??? I am betting on a Stoops-type hire...I like the choice, we'll see how he does...

as long as it's not a nick-type hire, we'll be okay.

Soonerus
4/11/2006, 10:30 PM
Wasn't Blake about 31 when he was hired ???

oumartin
4/11/2006, 10:34 PM
Nick needs to get laid I think.... Can harry potter score a chick?

usmc-sooner
4/11/2006, 10:36 PM
Wasn't Blake about 31 when he was hired ???

honestly who cares?

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 10:42 PM
Blake graduated from OU in 82. He would have had to have been about 17 when he graduated in order to be 31 in 1996. Blake was atleast in his mid 30's.

okienole3
4/11/2006, 11:07 PM
Blake graduated from OU in 82. He would have had to have been about 17 when he graduated in order to be 31 in 1996. Blake was atleast in his mid 30's.

Actually he stopped playing in 82. He didn't graduate until '86. So, you might be right about his age, but you are wrong about something. This is nothing new. I just wanted to point it out.

OKC-SLC
4/12/2006, 03:04 AM
but you are wrong about something. This is nothing new. I just wanted to point it out.
heh. gold, jerry.

OUGreg723
4/12/2006, 09:37 AM
He will be a Stoops like hire. He'll win us a national title or more. This is the right hire. If coach K wants to hand his program over to you if he were retiring tomarrow...it means this guy is good. Joe C. wanted him all along. I'm a fan.

BOOMER SOONER!

skycat
4/12/2006, 09:55 AM
He will be a Stoops like hire. He'll win us a national title or more. This is the right hire. If coach K wants to hand his program over to you if he were retiring tomarrow...it means this guy is good. Joe C. wanted him all along. I'm a fan.

BOOMER SOONER!

Dude's good if he can win more than a National Title.

soonersin07
4/12/2006, 01:46 PM

hahahahaha

Redshirt
4/12/2006, 03:32 PM

Well there is winning the lottery, pie eating contests, texas hold'em, a game of horse, winning respect...

If Dude wins the National Title and wins a pie eating contest will you go on record as saying he is 'good'?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/12/2006, 03:44 PM
I hope he brings back the Denslo Cup as well.

skycat
4/12/2006, 03:56 PM
Well there is winning the lottery, pie eating contests, texas hold'em, a game of horse, winning respect...

If Dude wins the National Title and wins a pie eating contest will you go on record as saying he is 'good'?

Who would be invited to that contest?

If Big XII North coaches are allowed to participate, and Caple wins, I'd build him a 300 ft tall statue in Tulsa.

Redshirt
4/12/2006, 04:15 PM
Who would be invited to that contest?

If Big XII North coaches are allowed to participate, and Caple wins, I'd build him a 300 ft tall statue in Tulsa.

That wouldn't even rival the 900 foot Jesus that Oral saw.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/12/2006, 04:27 PM

Maybe he can win 800 games AND be on the bench to see it.:eddie:

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 12:52 AM
They must have nice institutional orange comfy benches at the Betty Ford Clinic.

Collier11
6/7/2009, 03:27 PM
Good call Rus, seems that so far you were dead on

soonervegas
6/9/2009, 03:02 PM
He's going to need to lose a few more regional finals and final four games for me to consider him the equal of Stoops. :)

Collier11
6/9/2009, 03:08 PM
If only he had lost a cpl first round games thus far, he could be just as good as Kalvin

badger
6/10/2009, 08:10 AM
I think if we can keep him around five more years, we'll have him for 10 more and so on. He has a young family that could uproot easily and move elsewhere, but once his daughters start school, it will be harder to move (Stoops wouldn't move now for the same reason)

sifa123
6/29/2009, 02:13 AM
Right now I'd say I'd say that Sampson for Capel is not a good trade but I think the kid might actually be a great hire and really ignite a spark. I like that he's young. He's 3 years younger than me. I hope he brings a lot of eneregy and a lot of excitement.

OU_Sooners75
6/29/2009, 03:18 AM
I don't necessarily think he will be either. He doesn't come with the credentials of Stoops, and he doesn't seem to be capable of being utterly clueless like Blake.

What creditials did Stoops have before coming to OU?

He was the DC for FL in 1996 when they won the NC. He was never a head coach...Capel was before coming to OU.

It is proving that both appear to be great finds for OU!

OU_Sooners75
6/29/2009, 03:20 AM

I will say this...Capel appears to be better than Sampson.

Sampson was notorious for losing in the First Round. ;)

soonerguild
7/6/2009, 11:30 PM
I know that recruiting isn't everything, but in today's college basketball with handlers and such, recruiting is getting bigger and bigger. Plus with only a 12-13 man roster, talent is alot more obvious. To this point Capel has recruited circles around ks, and its not even close. On top of that, Capel doesn't run off the talent he does get, and lets them play. Did ks get more out of guys that probably shouldn't have been D-1 bball players, probably, but for the future of our program, I'll take McDonald's AA and 1st round draft picks, and see what happens.

BOOMER SOONER

ndpruitt03
7/8/2009, 09:43 PM
I don't really care about the recruiting aspect because it's what you do on the court that really matters to me. But it's pretty obvious that Capel his teams to play hard and play near the style he wants to play. I think if Willie is able to mature next year it'll be a much faster pace out there than we've had with Blake. I'm not so sure about our defense though. Capel has been a much better coach than anyone could have expected.