PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bama People

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 08:35 PM
Every two years I put together a database of every congressional district in the country, the candidates, and whatever polling data I can put together. It's a little early since not every state has had a primary, but I'm getting started anyway.

Do any of you know who the Democratic candidate for AL's CD-2 is, who it is likely to be, or if Everett is going to be unopposed?

slickdawg
4/11/2006, 08:39 PM
I can't help you there, but if you need Mississippi data, lemme know.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 08:47 PM
I can't help you there, but if you need Mississippi data, lemme know.

Well I just started so it'll be awhile before I get to the M's but when I get there I'll let you know. :D

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2006, 09:05 PM
what......have you turned congressional races into some dork form of fantasy baseball?

VeeJay
4/11/2006, 09:10 PM
Excel?

achiro
4/11/2006, 09:13 PM
I'm just skeert how many questions from you that we have to hear before you finally make it to the end of the alphabet!!!!

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 09:16 PM
what......have you turned congressional races into some dork form of fantasy baseball?

Yes.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 09:16 PM
Excel?

You bet.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 09:18 PM
I'm just skeert how many questions from you that we have to hear before you finally make it to the end of the alphabet!!!!

Hah, I'm not asking for every state. There happen to be quite a few Alabama folks on the board which is why I'm asking. I don't think there are a lot of Vermontians around here. :D

Okla-homey
4/11/2006, 09:25 PM
Every two years I put together a database of every congressional district in the country, the candidates, and whatever polling data I can put together. It's a little early since not every state has had a primary, but I'm getting started anyway.

Do any of you know who the Democratic candidate for AL's CD-2 is, who it is likely to be, or if Everett is going to be unopposed?

Speaking as a guy who just recently moved from Alabama, here's the dealio.

It doesn't matter if Everett does have a Dem opponent. AL CD-2 is GOP owned. See, in 1992 Alabama's seven congressional districts - each roughly containing 600,000 people - underwent remapping as mandated by the 1990 census and the Justice Department's requirement for the creation of a minority district in the state.

This order resulted in redrawing of District 7 which sent Artur Davis to Washington as Alabama's second black congressman since Reconstruction when he defeated the incumbent Earl Hilliard who was the first black Alabama congressman from Alabama since Reconstruction. Davis is reasonable, moderate and brilliant. Hilliard was a doofus. 7 is the poorest region in the state and is predominantly black and therefore will always elect Dems

The state's congressional districting is so profoundly gerrymandered that the only place a Dem can be competitive are districts 5 and 7. District 5 up on the Tennessee border is the only one where there is ever a legitimate race. It's majority white and is currently held by a white Dem.

Osce0la
4/11/2006, 09:40 PM

It doesn't matter if Everett does have a Dem opponent. AL CD-2 is GOP owned. See, in 1992 Alabama's seven congressional districts - each roughly containing 600,000 people - underwent remapping as mandated by the 1990 census and the Justice Department's requirement for the creation of a minority district in the state.

This order resulted in redrawing of District 7 which sent Artur Davis to Washington as Alabama's second black congressman since Reconstruction when he defeated the incumbent Earl Hilliard who was the first black Alabama congressman from Alabama since Reconstruction. Davis is reasonable, moderate and brilliant. Hilliard was a doofus. 7 is the poorest region in the state and is predominantly black and therefore will always elect Dems

The state's congressional districting is so profoundly gerrymandered that the only place a Dem can be competitive are districts 5 and 7. District 5 up on the Tennessee border is the only one where there is ever a legitimate race. It's majority white and is currently held by a white Dem.
Yeah...what he said...

jk the sooner fan
4/11/2006, 09:55 PM
score a triple with runners on the corners for homey's political fantasy team...

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 10:25 PM

Well on paper Everett seems unbeatable, that's definitely a solid district that he's in having won it in 2004 by what? Almost 70% of the vote? That's the kind of % that very often keeps the opposition party out of the race even at the Congressional level.

However, my question still stands who is challenging Everett out there? I managed to get ahold of a friend of mine who is very much involved in AL GOP politics and apparently there are a couple of candidates running on the Democratic side.

Charles (Chuck) Dean James and John Morykwas. Anyone know anything about them?

Okla-homey
4/11/2006, 10:33 PM
Charles (Chuck) Dean James and John Morykwas. Anyone know anything about them?

Nothing other than the fact they enjoy wasting their campaign donors' money. I'm serious, AL CD-2 is decided in the GOP primary. Take a look at the district borders. It encompasses the most prosperous part of the state. Rich and middle class Alabamians simply don't vote for Dem congressional candidates.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 10:49 PM
Nothing other than the fact they enjoy wasting their campaign donors' money. I'm serious, AL CD-2 is decided in the GOP primary. Take a look at the district borders. It encompasses the most prosperous part of the state. Rich and middle class Alabamians simply don't vote for Dem congressional candidates.

I believe you and looking at the district data here in front of me there's no chance in hell a Democrat is going to win. Still, I have these slots here for Democratic candidate's in Alabama's CD-2 and I gotta put some name in there otherwise it gets a big fat UNCONTESTED label. :D

In fact, looking at the district data I'm surprised the Democrats managed to scrap together even one candidate willing to run. The two of them need to get together before the primary and decide who among them is the better candidate and the other needs to drop out in order to focus their resources on the general. Not that they have a chance in either case, but it's pointless to have a Democratic primary in that district.