PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on Capel's hiring at VCU..

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 04:53 PM
Damn. 27 and a head coach. Seems so young but worked for coach K.

Former Duke player, 27, replaces McCarthy

Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- Jeff Capel III became the youngest coach in Division I when he was picked Tuesday to replace Mack McCarthy at Virginia Commonwealth.

The 27-year-old Capel, a former Duke standout, was an assistant at VCU for one season. He previously was an assistant at Old Dominion for one year under his father.

McCarthy resigned Tuesday, one day after the Rams lost in the title game of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament to North Carolina-Wilmington.

McCarthy led the Rams to a 66-55 record in four years as coach. VCU was 21-11 this season and finished tied for third in the conference with an 11-7 record.

Though an NCAA Tournament bid seems unlikely, the Rams have a chance to play in the NIT.

McCarthy has two years left on this contract and said he plans to stay at the school in an administrative job.

"After 28 years of Division I coaching, I thought it might be time for me to make a change," McCarthy said.

Capel said his father had told him that coaching at VCU was probably the best job in the CAA.

"Last summer, I was just worried about getting a job. Now I'm standing here with the best job in the league," he said.

Capel was a starter as a freshman in 1994, when the Blue Devils reached the national championship game.

"I'm proud of him. It's exciting. I'm very emotional about Jeff being given this opportunity," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who called in during the news conference.

Krzyzewski himself was 27 when he became a head coach for the first time at Army.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/0305/1345900.html