PDA

View Full Version : Am I being an imposition?

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 02:36 PM
Yesterday I explained to the new office lady that I wanted her to start making out the checks for the utilty bills for the house and the clinic, and keep track of my medical bills for me. All of those go to the clinic address anyway. My former office lady offered to do that for me since we just have a small mom and pop clinic and I hate dealing with all that kind of stuff.

There is alot of extra time on Wednesdays when we're closed, but shes still there to answer the phones. She acted as though I was being a bother in that she wouldnt even make eye contact with me after I told her what I wanted her to do. You would have thought I asked her to do it for free.

Maybe I shouldnt have expected the new lady to help me by doing those bills for me just because the former office lady did?

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 02:38 PM
Do you realize how much time I waste responding to you?;)

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2006, 02:41 PM
Well, she does work for you and your husband doesn't she? If you want her to mow your yard she should ask you what setting you want the mower height to be on.

Or you could be a really cool boss and slip her a nice gift certificate or cash bonus for doing those things for you being as she's going above and beyond what she signed up for at the clinic.

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 02:42 PM
Do you realize how much time I waste responding to you?;)Yes, and I really appreciate it, especially since you are doing it for free. :D

Or you could be a really cool boss and slip her a nice gift certificate or cash bonus for doing those things for you being as she's going above and beyond what she signed up for at the clinicShes on the clock when she handles that for me.

Each year, we do treat everyone, and a guest of their choice, to a Friday and Saturday night stay at the Embassy Suites. We include tickets to whatever OU football game is going on that weekend.

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 02:43 PM
Well, she does work for you and your husband doesn't she? If you want her to mow your yard she should ask you what setting you want the mower height to be on.

ED ZACHARY

Osce0la
Does her job description include that line that everybody loves?

...and other duties as assigned by your manager.

mdklatt
There is alot of extra time on Wednesdays when we're closed, but shes still there to answer the phones. She acted as though I was being a bother in that she wouldnt even make eye contact with me after I told her what I wanted her to do. You would have thought I asked her to do it for free.

Would taking care of your home finances detract from her being able to pick up your drycleaning and washing your car? ;)

Seriously, since she's your office assistant and not your personal assistant I can see why she wouldn't be receptive to the extra work.

sooner n houston
4/11/2006, 02:44 PM
Maybe you should fire her and get someone who would appreciate the chance to work! :D

Osce0la
4/11/2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe you should fire her and get someone who would appreciate the chance to work! :D
Messicans? Hey, they would save you money...

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 02:46 PM
have you all read the posts about how mom takes her office girls AND their children shopping and BUYS them things and stuff?!?!?!?!?!?! uh, yeah, do what the boss lady askes cause she WILL make it worth your time by BEING NICE AND STUFF!

walkoffsooner
4/11/2006, 02:48 PM
If she keeps looking for a job you will know.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 02:53 PM
have you all read the posts about how mom takes her office girls AND their children shopping and BUYS them things and stuff?!?!?!?!?!?! uh, yeah, do what the boss lady askes cause she WILL make it worth your time by BEING NICE AND STUFF!
Should you be posting with your neck in a tourniquet?

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 02:53 PM
Should you be posting with your neck in a tourniquet?

:mad:

KABOOKIE
4/11/2006, 02:57 PM
Is she hawt? ;)

Osce0la
4/11/2006, 03:08 PM
Is she hawt? ;)
It took 13 replies to get that outta someone? I'm a little disappointed...

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 03:12 PM
No shes not hawt and yes I do babysit for the other 2 girls kids if they need me to, and spoil them while they're here, but not this ladys kids. Her kids are grown.

Would taking care of your home finances detract from her being able to pick up your drycleaning and washing your car? ;)

Seriously, since she's your office assistant and not your personal assistant I can see why she wouldn't be receptive to the extra work.
The part time office girl use to help the former clerical lady figure up my medical and utility bills for me. I suppose I could just have her continue to do that and have her work on Wednesdays instead, however I remember the new lady saying that eventhough she realized that most dental clinics are only open 4 days a week, that she would like to come in and work 5 days a week if she could.

BeetDigger
4/11/2006, 03:14 PM
It took 13 replies to get that outta someone? I'm a little disappointed...

I blame it on the server issues of yesterday.

If she is hawt, do you have pics? Does she wear skanky clothes to work? We need more details before we can offer you any guidance.

SicEmBaylor
4/11/2006, 03:28 PM
Each year, we do treat everyone, and a guest of their choice, to a Friday and Saturday night stay at the Embassy Suites. We include tickets to whatever OU football game is going on that weekend.

Man, I'll take that job!
Do you have a need for a political affairs department? :D

Seriously, you're not being an imposition at all.

soonerbrat
4/11/2006, 03:31 PM
I need a job..i'll do it for you :)

OUinFLA
4/11/2006, 03:35 PM
well, tell her 5 days a week is out of the question, since you didnt exactly promise her that.
then tell her the reason why is that on Wednesday when all you need is a phone answerer, and a persoal bill payer, you have an experienced person in mind that only needs to work one day a week.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 03:43 PM
Is she illegal? Go hire an illegal and all your problems will be solved!

IB4OU2
4/11/2006, 03:57 PM
Is she illegal? Go hire an illegal and all your problems will be solved!

Que?

Btw Mom, Have you ever used the phrase, "My way or the Highway"?

1stTimeCaller
4/11/2006, 03:58 PM
SI SE PUEDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soonerbrat
4/11/2006, 04:01 PM
you are not an imposition. what does it matter what kind of paperwork you ask her to do? you're paying her, right?

tell her to like it or leave it

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 04:43 PM
well, tell her 5 days a week is out of the question, since you didnt exactly promise her that.
then tell her the reason why is that on Wednesday when all you need is a phone answerer, and a persoal bill payer, you have an experienced person in mind that only needs to work one day a week.
The other girl still works there. She works two days a week already, but would be more than happy to come in on Wednesdays to answer the phones and do whatever I need, but I can only justify having one girl there on Wednesdays since we arent seeing patients.

I need a job..i'll do it for you :)
If you lived here, the job would be yours. :D

OUinFLA
4/11/2006, 04:45 PM
The other girl still works there. She works two days a week already, but would be more than happy to come in on Wednesdays to answer the phones and do whatever I need, but I can only justify having one girl there on Wednesdays since we arent seeing patients.

DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 04:45 PM
yup, bring in the other girl.

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 04:50 PM
yup, bring in the other girl.
Yeah, but wouldnt that be like punishing the new gal for being persnippity to me? :P

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 04:51 PM
IS she illegal though? They'll do work no American wants to do...

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but wouldnt that be like punishing the new gal for being persnippity to me? :PNope! Just an adjustment of duties...

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but wouldnt that be like punishing the new gal for being persnippity to me? :P
and??????

you da boss!

BeetDigger
4/11/2006, 04:59 PM

I wouldn't do it unless you want to end the relationship early. She will put 2 and 2 together and will be very unhappy and will likely leave soon after you ask her to not stay late on Wednesdays.

I would say that if it is not in the job spec, then you shouldn't ask her to do it. If it is in the job spec, then you should expect it. She sees it as you asking her to do personal favors right off the bat. Perhaps it is something that is better to be added at a later date, after you have had time to build a good rapport and she has had time to experience some of the fringe benefits that you provide. Since you have already hired her, give her a chance to become a good employee.

Oh, and stop hiring non-hawt women. It is your duty, as a member of the SO, to hire good looking, slightly slutty, women who provide you with stories to tell on the SO. Do not, I repeat do not, hire women like Slickdawgs who has had her stomach stapled and who farts all the time. One of them is plenty for the board.

Tailwind
4/11/2006, 05:01 PM
Do your own damn bills.

mdklatt
4/11/2006, 05:01 PM
I would say that if it is not in the job spec, then you shouldn't ask her to do it. If it is in the job spec, then you should expect it. She sees it as you asking her to do personal favors right off the bat.

Exactly.

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 05:07 PM
I disagree. If you work for an individual, in their business, and they ask you to do something, you do it. End of story. That goes with the job I say.

In high school I worked at a little embroidery shop in town. It was the boss lady, one full time person, and myself. The boss lady asked me one christmas to drive her elderly mother-in-law to the nursing home IN THE ICE to deliver christmas presents to her friends down there. She (the boss) was going to be out of town and didn't want her M-I-L driving herself. Oh, and I was to drive the boss lady's NEW $43,000 yukon cause all the presents wouldn't fit in my car. IN THE ICE. Now this wasn't in my EMBROIDERY job description, but I gladly did it, cause I was asked to. In a small family owned enviroment you can expect to do "other duties" along the way, but the boss will usually make it up to you in FRENCH benefits (as Mom has proven she does)

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 05:09 PM
Let us not forget who recently received head trauma.

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 05:13 PM
:mad:

OUHOMER
4/11/2006, 05:33 PM
Well, You mean you had somebody already on staff that wanted extra hours and you gave them to the new girl? ummm

i know that in the corp world you dont ask employees to do your personel biz but i dont see anything wrong with it in a small mom and pop shop. Did she come from a big company, that may be why she does not want to do it.

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't do it unless you want to end the relationship early. She will put 2 and 2 together and will be very unhappy and will likely leave soon after you ask her to not stay late on Wednesdays. She doesnt stay "late on Wednesdays." She has plenty of time on that day to catch up on things, answer the phone, do my bills, do her nails and leave early. If she wants to "leave" as in 'quit', over this then why would I want someone that touchy anyway? I do have other applicants who are qualified to do the job, and good jobs with nice bosses are hard to find in this town, so the loss would be bigger on her part.

I would say that if it is not in the job spec, then you shouldn't ask her to do it. If it is in the job spec, then you should expect it. She sees it as you asking her to do personal favors right off the bat. I dont really think of it as a "favor." I think of it as something to do to fill the extra time she asked for the other day, which was to work 5 days a week. I was going to have the part time girl work on Wednesdays, so it is I who is doing the personal favor. :D

I dont have any "specs" but would it not be a spec since the lady before her paid those bills for me before this gal took her place? She is expected to do the utility bills for the clinic and the dental bills for every patient who walks through the door so I thats why I didnt see see it as being any big deal until she acted like it was.

Perhaps it is something that is better to be added at a later date, after you have had time to build a good rapport and she has had time to experience some of the fringe benefits that you provide. Since you have already hired her, give her a chance to become a good employee.I'm giving her that chance right now by asking her to pay those bills for me. :)

Oh, and stop hiring non-hawt women. It is your duty, as a member of the SO, to hire good looking, slightly slutty, women who provide you with stories to tell on the SO. Do not, I repeat do not, hire women like Slickdawgs who has had her stomach stapled and who farts all the time. One of them is plenty for the board.I have 2 other employees and a part time girl who are all very hot. :D

MamaMia
4/11/2006, 05:39 PM
I disagree. If you work for an individual, in their business, and they ask you to do something, you do it. End of story. That goes with the job I say.

In high school I worked at a little embroidery shop in town. It was the boss lady, one full time person, and myself. The boss lady asked me one christmas to drive her elderly mother-in-law to the nursing home IN THE ICE to deliver christmas presents to her friends down there. She (the boss) was going to be out of town and didn't want her M-I-L driving herself. Oh, and I was to drive the boss lady's NEW $43,000 yukon cause all the presents wouldn't fit in my car. IN THE ICE. Now this wasn't in my EMBROIDERY job description, but I gladly did it, cause I was asked to. In a small family owned enviroment you can expect to do "other duties" along the way, but the boss will usually make it up to you in FRENCH benefits (as Mom has proven she does)
Thank you. You would be the kind of employee I would always be there for if you needed me. :)

mrowl
4/11/2006, 05:39 PM
I don't think it is appropriate to have an employee handle your personal matters, I would never ask any of mine to do that.

BeetDigger
4/11/2006, 05:41 PM
I don't disagree that some people will understand that working in an small business may entail doing things that are personal. However, not ALL people will see it that way. This lady appears to fall into that category. That is why it needs to be in the specs.

Oh, and OUSAEMOM, be careful. There may be tax implications here. She is doing personal work for you, but you are running her expenses through the company. That can be an issue to a nosey IRS agent with a burr in his side. It could be considered compensation to your personal income and subject to tax.

BeetDigger
4/11/2006, 05:44 PM
She doesnt stay "late on Wednesdays." She has plenty of time on that day to catch up on things, answer the phone, do my bills, do her nails and leave early. If she wants to "leave" as in 'quit', over this then why would I want someone that touchy anyway? I do have other applicants who are qualified to do the job, and good jobs with nice bosses are hard to find in this town, so the loss would be bigger on her part.
I dont really think of it as a "favor." I think of it as something to do to fill the extra time she asked for the other day, which was to work 5 days a week. I was going to have the part time girl work on Wednesdays, so it is I who is doing the personal favor. :D

I dont have any "specs" but would it not be a spec since the lady before her paid those bills for me before this gal took her place? She is expected to do the utility bills for the clinic and the dental bills for every patient who walks through the door so I thats why I didnt see see it as being any big deal until she acted like it was.
I'm giving her that chance right now by asking her to pay those bills for me. :)
I have 2 other employees and a part time girl who are all very hot. :D

I think you answered your own question. No need to ask us.

Just remember, this may not be an issue of right or wrong, but one of perception. If she is easily replaced, then do so. But I would make sure and tighten up the screening process on the next one since this one didn't work out so well.

achiro
4/11/2006, 05:45 PM

If a new person is already giving you attitude then its the best thing to let them go. I'm not sure trusting someone that has a problem with you to pay any of your bills is a good idea.

I know that some people have a problem with "the wife" of the boss coming in and telling them to do something. That may have more to do with it than the actually duties that you are asking her to do. With new employees, I always make clear early on that my wife is the REAL boss and if she asks you to jump you better damn well do it if you want to stay through the rest of the day.

OKC Sooner
4/11/2006, 06:26 PM
I have 2 other employees and a part time girl who are all very hot. :D

Pics? :)

olevetonahill
4/11/2006, 07:12 PM
Fire the yainch . Then hire a hawt one and post pics yw :cool: