PDA

View Full Version : Only Time Will Tell With Jeff Capel...

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 10:00 AM
... but at this point — looking at his background and how players (especially from the incoming class) are going to respond — this is a great hire. OU needed a young, fiery coach with big league pedigree and it looks like Joe C. got what he was looking for.

I recall when Castiglione hired an under-the-radar assistant named Bob Stoops and talked about how he had been tracking Stoops' career for years and knew he was the man for the job.

Well, anyone who doesn't believe Castiglione hasn't had his eyes on Capel for a while is kidding themselves. The reason the deal took so long is because Capel recently signed a contract extension and there was much debate about the buyout process.

The only reason Turgeon went in front of the WSU fans yesterday was because he knew OU was not going to offer the job and to make himself look like a hero for the Shocker fans. It was a great move on his part. But the fact is — he was not the guy Joe C. wanted.

As the process progressed, the main candidate all along was Capel. OU looked at other possibilities, only because they were not sure a buyout deal for Capel could be struck.

That is why it took almost two weeks.

But in the end, OU got the guy it wanted. And time will tell if it is the right move.

I think so.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:01 AM
I agree.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 10:07 AM
Jay

I'm pretty sure Asia did that one.

Actually I know some people are going to be skeptical but I think Jay is right. It does appear that if Capel wasn't the #1 choice that he was very close to #1.

I was always ambivalent about Turgeon so I wasn't really disappointed with not getting him. Turgeon is more proven but Capel has a bigger upside.

Taxman71
4/11/2006, 10:09 AM
Coaching is like the stock market. Past returns do not guarantee future success. I prefer to have the coach of the future (Capel) than the coach of the past (Calipari, etc.).

MikeInNorman
4/11/2006, 10:13 AM
I'm all for Coach Capel. I am against this revisionist history that Bob Stoops was a "little known assistant" when he got the job. I expect this from message board posters, but not from professional journalists.

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 10:16 AM
My bad... I fixed that just for MikeInNorman.

Stoops wasn't "little-known," but when he was hired at OU, thousands of fans responded like he was some chump who had no chance of stepping in and winning with the Sooners.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 10:17 AM
I'm all for Coach Capel. I am against this revisionist history that Bob Stoops was a "little known assistant" when he got the job. I expect this from message board posters, but not from professional journalists.

I agree. While I hadn't heard of Stoops when he was at KSU I had heard of him at Florida. Especially when he was brought in after Tommy Frazier and Neb took down the Gator defense faster than Steve Erwin.

Jeff Capel is not unknown. He is unexpected.

okienole3
4/11/2006, 10:19 AM

Agreeed. I think Stoops was a bigger name than Capel. Much bigger. Stoops had just been buying his time and waiting for the right situation to come along.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I guess it's just weird that the search took two weeks, and they had the same guy targeted the whole time, and his name never leaked out, once.

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 10:22 AM
That is because all the name leaking go on was done by the media, who spent the entire process taking stabs in the dark.

MikeInNorman
4/11/2006, 10:23 AM
My bad... I fixed that just for MikeInNorman.

Stoops wasn't "little-known," but when he was hired at OU, thousands of fans responded like he was some chump who had no chance of stepping in and winning with the Sooners.

Thanks Jay. Sorry for the slam.

You hit the nail on the head about some of our fans reacting negatively about Stoops, though. People forget that there were actually Blake loyalists who were very upset about the firing, mostly because Blake was officially endorsed by The King and The King has never been wrong. Thus, they denigrated the hottest assistant in the country, Bob Stoops, who was being actively courted by everybody with a job opening.

Gdog
4/11/2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jay!

I am actually pretty excited about this. I wasn't really looking forward to a Calipari and the NCAA breathing down our neck. I think Coach Capel will make a lot of people eat some crow. Just because a coach has a big name and gets paid alot doesn't mean he is still hungry and committed to the Sooner program.

Ruprecht
4/11/2006, 11:53 AM
A serious question for consideration: How does Capel have more upside than Turgeon? Can you point to a SINGLE fact or talking point?

mdklatt
4/11/2006, 11:58 AM
A serious question for consideration: How does Capel have more upside than Turgeon? Can you point to a SINGLE fact or talking point?

Insulting Nickname Potential:

Crapel
Turdgeon

I guess that's a wash.

Ruprecht
4/11/2006, 12:05 PM
I would agree....a wash.

Any others?

okienole3
4/11/2006, 01:19 PM

Coaching pedigree.

Can you point out a single fact in the other direction?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 01:20 PM
A serious question for consideration from a guy on probation for felonious c***sucking with intent to swallow: How does my blue outfit look You think the Duke Lacrosse team would dig me?

Fixed

yager
4/11/2006, 01:29 PM
Who's this Turgeon guy everyone is talking about?

oumartin
4/11/2006, 01:58 PM
I suppose capel could turn out great and thats what I'm hoping for. I'm still gonna have high expectations.. He better meet em or he's gone! :D

anyone hear Calvin on the radio this morning..? he thinks the hire was a grand slam. for what its worth

okienole3
4/11/2006, 02:06 PM
I suppose capel could turn out great and thats what I'm hoping for. I'm still gonna have high expectations.. He better meet em or he's gone! :D

anyone hear Calvin on the radio this morning..? he thinks the hire was a grand slam. for what its worth

http://myspace-291.vo.llnwd.net/00383/19/27/383507291_l.jpg

or

http://www.allcoachnetwork.com/sampson/images/kelvin-pic-bio.JPG

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 04:13 PM
Well, anyone who doesn't believe Castiglione hasn't had his eyes on Capel for a while is kidding themselves. The reason the deal took so long is because Capel recently signed a contract extension and there was much debate about the buyout process.

The only reason Turgeon went in front of the WSU fans yesterday was because he knew OU was not going to offer the job and to make himself look like a hero for the Shocker fans. It was a great move on his part. But the fact is — he was not the guy Joe C. wanted.

Sorry, but I just don't believe any of this.

They way everything played out makes it more the obvious that Turgeon turned us down and Capel was simply plan B or C. WAY too many alumns I know were talking up Turgeon.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 04:17 PM
There is none. Capel is simply way to unknown.

Might as well promoted one of KS's assistants IMO.

StoopTroup
4/11/2006, 04:24 PM
I'm glad Joe C. is hiring and not the Alums.

So far I've been happy with most of the things Joe has done at OU except for the Halftime Gate Nazis.

OU Adonis
4/11/2006, 04:26 PM

So far I've been happy with most of the things Joe has done at OU except for the Halftime Gate Nazis.

http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics30/200/TJ/TJYEXLLOKKGSKSQ.20050902181903.jpg

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 04:48 PM

Never said the alums were doing the hiring, or should. Just that some people seemed to know the direction of this, and it didn't happen.

Also, consider that within a hour of Turgeron saying he was staying @ WSU the word came out on Capel.

To me, its insane to think it took this long to get Capel. There is no reason on earth that is the case. But I trust Joe C judgement on this. Just don't tell me this was the #1 guy on the list. No way.

OUstud
4/11/2006, 04:58 PM

And the ridiculous timeout promotions, lame music, sign/shirt police, and regulations on the band playing (so I've heard).

Jay C. Upchurch
4/11/2006, 05:11 PM
It took 13 days to hire a replacement. Just me, but that is not a long period of time when you are looking to make a critically important hire for your basketball proram.

I'll say it again, Turgeon was never the guy. He was never offered the job, even though he wanted it very much. His whole deal with making the announcement yesterday came when he found out he was no longer in the running.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 05:19 PM
It took 13 days to hire a replacement. Just me, but that is not a long period of time when you are looking to make a critically important hire for your basketball proram.

I'll say it again, Turgeon was never the guy. He was never offered the job, even though he wanted it very much. His whole deal with making the announcement yesterday came when he found out he was no longer in the running.

True, but Capel himself said he was contacted last week. Where they doing a week's worth of background checks?

TopDawg
4/11/2006, 05:38 PM
True, but Capel himself said he was contacted last week. Where they doing a week's worth of background checks?

Sampson announced he was leaving on a Tuesday. It was sudden. They probably mentioned a few names that day, but I bet they didn't start looking in earnest until Wednesday. After a day or two of rounding up some names, they headed to Indy for the Final Four. It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't made formal contact with anybody until last week.

I think we, as fans, underestimate the work that goes into this. I know I did.

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 07:05 PM
good points made all around, but gonna have to agree with tuba on this one. pretty confident capel wasn't the #1 choice, if he's the first guy joe c. went to then joe c. better pray it works out. i never thought we'd get calipari, few, wright, tubby or any of those caliber guys, but i'd be ****ed if our a.d. didn't at least look into their interest and instead just went after capel immediately.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 07:15 PM
Capel himself said he was first contacted last Wen, and it only got serious by Friday.

King Crimson
4/11/2006, 07:24 PM
Jay

I'm pretty sure Asia did that one.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000OMB.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

MikeInNorman
4/11/2006, 08:24 PM

The pony is Joe C.'s "John Blake" hire.

Glad he got that out of the way before Capel.

stoopified
4/13/2006, 12:17 AM
In the hire of Capel I think we are looking at a younger version of KS much to the chagrin of the bashers.

badger
4/13/2006, 12:30 AM

I agree. There's a reason Joe wasn't talking to anyone - nobody would have guessed this was the guy he was after.

Of course, once we met him, we knew exactly why he was brought it - potential, winning and establishing a winner.

badger
4/13/2006, 12:31 AM
Ack! It's the hooves! The red sweater-like thing! The sissy eyelashes! Make it go away!!!!

GDC
4/13/2006, 07:58 AM
Survival skills will help coach in new season
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
4/13/2006

So Oklahoma finally found its point guard.

It was a month late, and he doesn't have any eligibility left, but Jeff Capel's point-guard background might be the best asset he has going for him as Oklahoma's basketball coach.

The lack of a quality point guard haunted coach Kelvin Sampson throughout his 12th and final OU season, which ended last month in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He desperately needed someone like Capel, who was good enough to start at Duke as a freshman.

More importantly, Capel was good enough to play the point for a taskmaster in Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. That player-coach experience is why the 31-year-old Capel believes he acts a whole lot older than the date on his birth certificate.

"The point guard position is the most difficult position in basketball. Period. And the most important position," Capel said. "Coach K puts a lot of demands on his point guard, so I had to grow up very quick. There was a lot expected of me as a freshman."

There is also going to be a lot expected of Capel in his rookie season at OU. If he thought trying to please Krzyzewski was difficult, wait until he gets a load of the wine-and-cheese OU crowd.

Billy Tubbs and Sampson can both tell Capel that

no matter what style he plays or how many games he wins, Sooner fans will show up in sold out numbers when they feel like it. Which is two or three times a season, depending on if Kansas is on the schedule that season along with Oklahoma State and Texas.

Capel will soon discover that OU's Lloyd Noble Center will never be confused with Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. But overcoming fan apathy is the easy part of what awaits him.

One thing that will remind Capel of his days playing for the Blue Devils will be the high quality of Big 12 Conference coaching talent sitting on the opponents' bench.

The Big 12 doesn't have to take a backdoor cut to any league when it comes to coaches, including Duke's league, the Atlantic Coast Conference. After all, it was ACC member North Carolina State that last week attempted to hire away Texas coach Rick Barnes by offering him a reported $2 million per season.

And ACC member North Carolina couldn't restore its national championship tradition until it hired Kansas coach Roy Williams (Yes, Williams was a Tar Heels assistant, but he cut his coaching chops in the Big 12).

Barnes' decision to stay at UT was great for the Big 12's reputation but bad news for Capel and every other coach in the league.

As impressive and mature as Capel came off Tuesday when OU introduced him as Sampson's replacement, you have to wonder if he really understands what he's getting into in this league.

A conference already loaded with coaches on par with Barnes, got a whole lot better when Kansas State replaced Jim Wooldridge with Bob Huggins and Missouri hired Mike Anderson to take over for Capel's fellow Dookie, Quin Snyder.

Sure, the league will take a hit if legendary Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton goes ahead and does the expected by retiring soon. But his replacement has more than the same last name. And many of us believe Sean Sutton will prove his father was correct when Eddie predicted, "Sean's going to be a better coach than I was."

Toss in Texas Tech legend Bob Knight, Kansas' Bill Self and Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie, and Capel will soon learn he's no longer coaching Virginia Commonwealth in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The CAA has some excellent coaches. We all discovered that when Jim Larranaga took George Mason to the Final Four. But nobody in the CAA recruits like the aforementioned Big 12 coaches.

I haven't even mentioned Baylor's Scott Drew, whose recruiting skills are starting to scare the bejesus out of the rest of the conference. And Iowa State believes it upgraded significantly when it replaced Wayne Morgan with Greg McDermott.

Oh, and then there's this: Most of the so-called experts are predicting that the Big 12 will be college basketball's best conference next season.

"One of the things that makes this job attractive," Capel said, "is that coach Sampson didn't leave the cupboard bare."

He didn't? Those so-called experts apparently don't agree; OU wasn't predicted by any of them to be in the Top 25 when the preseason polls are released next fall. That's because Sampson's three best players last season were seniors. And it's uncertain how many of the top-flight recruits he signed last fall will qualify academically.

The only thing Capel knows for certain is that he has a core of role players coming back. And, more than likely, he will have to depend heavily on them to fill Lloyd Noble Center and help him compete against a Big 12 coaching lineup that's starting to resemble Murderers Row.

If he succeeds, Capel can thank a demanding Coach K for teaching him how to survive as a Duke point guard. He's going to need every one of those survival skills for the journey he's about to take.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Sittler 581-8312
[email protected].

GDC
4/13/2006, 08:00 AM
Challenges greet Capel on first day
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/13/2006

New coach plans to learn more about OU's current and future players.
NORMAN -- Jeff Capel won his first game as Oklahoma basketball coach Wednesday.

"On a controversial call," he said.

Sooner guard David Godbold didn't like it a bit, but it's not like he or teammate Taylor Griffin could pitch a fit. After all, their 2-on-2 opponents in OU's practice gym were Kellen Sampson and their new coach.

"I felt like playing a little bit today," Capel said.

So while the other 329 Division I coaches worried about the first day of the late signing period, Capel borrowed a pair of Godbold's high-tops, put on a white T-shirt and crimson shorts, and worked up a stream of sweat.

"The most important recruits we have in our program right now are the guys that are already here," he said. "I think it's very important for me to get to know them, spend time with them, hang out with them. I think exams are over the second week of May. That doesn't leave me a lot of time for me to get a feel of each guy."

The idea was to spend a decent part of Wednesday afternoon doing just that. Which was fine, until the reality of a new coach's first full day on the job sideswiped it.

Capel's day included more

meetings with athletic director Joe Castiglione. And seeing his office for the first time. And doing another round of media interviews. And getting a university ID card. And navigating Lloyd Noble Center (Capel to OU trainer Alex Brown after the game of 2-on-2: "So if you go out those doors right there, you'll be in the tunnel?").

And then there were calls to make, including five big ones to the Sooners' nationally touted class of early period signees.

"I asked them all to give me a chance," Capel said. "They all said, 'Coach, we're on board. We're ready to go.' "

By the time Capel caught up with his new players in the gym, 2-on-2 would have to do.

The plan is to use the next few days wisely.

"I will take some (film) back to Richmond with me and watch some," said Capel, scheduled to fly to his old home Thursday, "and really try to get more familiar than I am."

All he knows of his players is what he saw on ESPN last year and what he remembers while on the recruiting trail for Virginia Commonwealth.

So Capel will load up on film over the weekend, taking breaks to visit OU signee Scottie Reynolds -- the Herndon, Va., McDonald's All-American point guard -- and to put in a little recruiting time.

What Capel does will be defined by the progress he makes with his current players.

"When I really get a chance to evaluate our team right here, that's when I'll go out and identify what I think we need to move forward," Capel said.

As of early Wednesday evening, when he sat courtside with a Gatorade towel draped across his legs, Capel at least had a better idea of what makes Godbold, Griffin and Sampson tick.

Come Monday, when he returns to his new home for what he calls "his first official day," Capel can finally zero in.

"That's when I'll really sit down and do individual meetings with each guy, try to get to know them," he said. " I'll get back here and get going."

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

GDC
4/13/2006, 08:01 AM
OU Notebook: Kellen Sampson staying at OU
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/13/2006

Walk-on guard Kellen Sampson has decided not to follow his father to Bloomington.

"I think it's great he wants to stay and finish his last year," said Jeff Capel, OU's new coach. "This is where he's grown up, this is his school."

Asked if Sampson would have to go through any walk-on tryout to rejoin next year's team, Capel said: "No. This is what he wants to do and this is where he wants to be, and we want him back here. He's part of our team."

To be continued: Capel re-emphasized Wednesday that while putting together a coaching staff is critical, it takes a back seat to connecting with current players and the five November signees.

The only commitment he'll make is that he wants Virginia Commonwealth assistant Mark Cline to join him at OU. Of course, that's contingent on Capel's old position at VCU.

"I would very much like to have (the VCU head coaching job)," Cline told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

"If he has a chance to get that, I certainly want him to," Capel said. "I think he's very deserving of it and is ready for it.".