PDA

View Full Version : Please don't feed me this line...

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 09:12 AM
Regardless, Capel was a target of Castiglione's since Kelvin Sampson announced he was leaving for Indiana two weeks ago.

What.Ever.

I like this hire, and if this is the guy Joe C. wants to go with, I'm behind him and the program 100%. But please don't tell me this guy has been targeted from the beginning. We probably wiffed on a few "big" names, and fell down a peg or two. This guy was on no ones radar.

I hope he does great here, but I just have a hard time believing he was in on it from the beginning.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 09:14 AM
Well, its obvious JC tried to get a coach from Witchita State again, and got stung again.

Thank GOD they don't have a football program up there, or we could be up **** creek when Stoops goes byebye.

ouflak
4/11/2006, 09:46 AM
Regardless, Capel was a target of Castiglione's since Kelvin Sampson announced he was leaving for Indiana two weeks ago.

I'm not buying this load either. Frankly it sounds apologist and kind of pathetic. Capel is probably a decent coach and he could be great one. We just don't know yet. He will have to prove himself here. But I don't think any of the fanbase needs to be spoon fed this kind of stuff.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:48 AM
yeah..........everyone knows Joe should have said we settled for less than we wanted.

What do you guys expect?

ouflak
4/11/2006, 09:52 AM
Who says we settled for less? As has been pointed out, OU has had very good success hiring coaches who might not have been on top of everybody else's 'big name' list. It's worked out well for us in the past and there's no reason why it shouldn't work out for us now.

I expect to hear that they conducted a thorough search with a pretty good idea of the kind of person they wanted, did their research, made some contacts, and feel after going through the process that they got the ideal candidate.

Frankly, I think that's what happened.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 09:55 AM
I would be interested in what the contract calls for? I would think he should be less than Kelvin, say the 400 to 500K range with incentives to increase salary based on milestones. Joe, seems quite a buck minder and I doubt he would go after some person who is late in career with a major bucks requirement... I think Joe is more savvy than that...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 09:58 AM
I heard that Capel was a target of Castiglione's since Kelvin Sampson announced he was leaving for Indiana two weeks ago.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Who says we settled for less? As has been pointed out, OU has had very good success hiring coaches who might not have been on top of everybody else's 'big name' list. It's worked out well for us in the past and there's no reason why it shouldn't work out for us now.

I expect to hear that they conducted a thorough search with a pretty good idea of the kind of person they wanted, did their research, made some contacts, and feel after going through the process that they got the ideal candidate.

Frankly, I think that's what happened.
My post was sarcasm, sorry I left the winkie off.

We know what's going to be said at press conferences before they say it. Why are people bugged when they say exactly what you knew they would say?

I know this.....Joe C probably does his job rather than spending hours a day on the internet.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 10:06 AM
I know this.....Joe C probably does his job rather than spending hours a day on the internet.

No one said he didn't do his job. I'm just saying don't feed me that line of crap. Just don't say it. You don't have to say "we missed on some guys and this is who we got" You just say, "We made a hire that is great for Oklahoma..." and so on.

Or did you just forget the winkie again?

crawfish
4/11/2006, 10:06 AM
I'm sure he was *a* candidate...

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:12 AM
Quit watching press conferences if you don't like hearing 'coachspeak'.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 10:14 AM
Quit watching press conferences if you don't like hearing 'coachspeak'.

Who's watching a press conference? This was from the article posted on ESPN.com

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:17 AM
Who's watching a press conference? This was from the article posted on ESPN.com
It's 'coachspeak' where ever you found it.

Are you unfamiliar with the technique? I see it all the time. Nobody says the truth. They say what looks good in print or as a headline.

I quit whining about it when I realized it existed.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 10:21 AM
It's 'coachspeak' where ever you found it.

Are you unfamiliar with the technique? I see it all the time. Nobody says the truth. They say what looks good in print or as a headline.

I quit whining about it when I realized it existed.

There's a difference between coachspeak and bull****.

Like I said, this hire is fine by me and I can't wait to see what he does.

TJKDone
4/11/2006, 10:23 AM
I am not so sure he wasn't the primary target all along. Joe C is his own man in hiring and I think that you would have known if someone more "big time" had turned down an offer.

I think he is a great hire and will serve OU very well.

Hook'em

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:26 AM
There's a difference between coachspeak and bull****.

Like I said, this hire is fine by me and I can't wait to see what he does.
unless you got sticky pads from Joes desk, I don't think you have any idea what his intentions have been.

FaninAma
4/11/2006, 10:40 AM
I'm excited about the hire. I like the choice much, much, much better than hiring Turgeon, Calipari or another name coach.

We all should thank our lucky stars Joe went with Bob Stoops back in 1998 instead of the popular choice of Franchione or Barnett.

So don't be a moron(I know that's a difficult request for some of you) and just see how this plays out. I think it will turn out well.

NormanPride
4/11/2006, 10:41 AM
What I heard was that this guy was an assistant to Jay Wright in the college olympics or whatever in Turkey when we won the gold. Then, through researching Wright, we found this guy and the rest is history.

It sounds plausible, but there's no way to tell if it's true. I've also heard that a bunch of big-names told us "hell no" because Sampson was such a hard act to follow.

But we all knew Sampson sucked, right? He couldn't put points up and only won 20 games a season? :confused:

:rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2006, 10:54 AM
unless you got sticky pads from Joes desk, I don't think you have any idea what his intentions have been.

In your face:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/674/postitnote3ak.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

;)

JohnnyMack
4/11/2006, 11:21 AM
I'm excited about the hire. I like the choice much, much, much better than hiring Turgeon, Calipari or another name coach.

We all should thank our lucky stars Joe went with Bob Stoops back in 1998 instead of the popular choice of Franchione or Barnett.

So don't be a moron(I know that's a difficult request for some of you) and just see how this plays out. I think it will turn out well.

I agree with you 100%

Except for this part:

So don't be a moron(I know that's a difficult request for some of you)

:bsmf:

wahoorob
4/11/2006, 11:42 AM
Actually, I'm guessing Joe C spent the past 10 days or so just reading the Sooner message boards and eating pizza...then pulled Capel's name out of a hat over the weekend, made the call and made the hire. ;)

RacerX
4/11/2006, 12:33 PM

I only agree 66%, you left out Jim Donnan.

King Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:38 PM
Actually, I'm guessing Joe C spent the past 10 days or so just reading the Sooner message boards and eating pizza...then pulled Capel's name out of a hat over the weekend, made the call and made the hire. ;)

ten days to just eat pizza and drink beer? who wouldn't?

uh, you didn't say anything about beer. well, you implied it.

Partial Qualifier
4/11/2006, 12:47 PM
About 20 minutes ago, Kelvin was on the radio and said He had been talking to Joe C. about Capel for several days.. fwiw