PDA

View Full Version : I like the Jeff Capel hire.

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 01:08 AM
He's young, basketball pedigreed, and will work his tail off to succeed with this being his shot at the big time.

Welcome Coach Capel!

Big Red Ron
4/11/2006, 01:10 AM
me too, ditto.

OKC-SLC
4/11/2006, 01:22 AM
Totally agree. I really have a good feeling about this. I'm more excited about next year's basketball season than I would have been if we'd hired Turgeon, Huggins, Tubby, and Calipari combined. Something about the youth and freshness of a dude getting his chance on a relatively big coaching stage.

Welcome to Norman, Coach. How about we score some points.

Salt City Sooner
4/11/2006, 01:25 AM
"How about we score some points."

VCU's PPG under Capel:

1st year: 74 PPG

2nd year: 71 PPG

3rd year: 70 PPG

4th year: 67 PPG

Unless it was a talent thing, I'm not sure I'd be holding my breath. I personally don't mind this style of B-ball, but I can just HEAR the gripe session cranking up right now if those stats weren't due to a lack of talent.

birddog
4/11/2006, 01:29 AM
i didn't see it coming. but i remember watching his team play during "championship week". i think recruits will love him. i played for a "players coach" in college and he knew how to motivate me to get better. capel's played at the highest level in college and i think he will have a good influence on his players.

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 01:32 AM
with Jeff being so young and not so far removed from his playing days, he'll most likely be able to demonstrate how he wants things done. that's a really good thing IMO.

yermom
4/11/2006, 01:36 AM
maybe he can help with the game atmosphere

boomersooner28
4/11/2006, 02:18 AM
I, myself, am speechless.

Have no idea what I think, or what i should think.

walkoffsooner
4/11/2006, 02:52 AM
I could turn on him but right now I like him.

ouflak
4/11/2006, 04:11 AM
Heh, we'll see. Should be an interesting what he can do at a program like OU.

Sooner in Tampa
4/11/2006, 05:10 AM
Heh, we'll see. Should be an interesting what he can do at a program like OU.I agree...I am optimistic at the possibilities with a young coach like Capel.

King Crimson
4/11/2006, 06:02 AM
i kinda like it too. it's a wildcard, and i'll give the Joe C wonks some spek here.....

it;s a gamble and as i posted in another thread....i'd prefer taking a chance than a retread. track record on Duke assistants is bad, but Capel left the nest and starting coaching. pedigre ought to be enough to keep the recruiting class.

OUstud
4/11/2006, 08:00 AM
What the hell, he's waaaaaaay under the radar like Stoops, so a big GO CAPEL from me.

Boomer.....
4/11/2006, 08:09 AM
I'm confidant that Joe C. knows what he is doing. With all of those big names out there, he wouldn't chose a no-name unless he felt good about it.

ouradu
4/11/2006, 08:21 AM
I was no sunshine pumper, but I'm getting a feeling this could actually work. He's young, which could be a minus, but it also could be a big plus. His Duke background also makes me a bit optimistic. I think unlike Snyder, he has experience. It feels a little billy donovan-esque to me.

toast
4/11/2006, 08:37 AM
I think Joe C. had a bunch of monogrammed stuff he was wanting to get rid of.

Partial Qualifier
4/11/2006, 08:53 AM
I like the hire too. Gutsy, but it's not like a huge gamble. He's well-respected especially on the East Coast where many think he's a rising star. He should be a natural recruiter. We'll see.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 08:55 AM
I agree...I am optimistic at the possibilities with a young coach like Capel.
are you 'happy' though?

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 09:06 AM
are you 'happy' though?

I'm a lot happier than I would have been if we had hired a retread job like Tubby Smith.

oumartin
4/11/2006, 09:16 AM
I am not happy.. where was he coaching?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 09:25 AM
I'm a lot happier than I would have been if we had hired a retread job like Tubby Smith.

I don't think a "retread" like Tubby Smith that won big at Tulsa, won at Georgia and then won a NC at Kentucky with a win/loss % that is in the top 25 ALL TIME would have been a bad hire, but maybe that's just me.

I would have to say I like the Capel hire and the more facts I see the more it makes sense.

oumartin
4/11/2006, 09:26 AM
I miss Kelvin now

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:29 AM
I didn't ask if you were happy.

I asked if 44 was happy.

Ruprecht
4/11/2006, 09:29 AM
VCU finished 19-10, 11-7 in the Colonial Athletic Association this past season.

Please continue spelling Turgeon with a "d".

You didn't get what you asked for, just what you deserve.

OU has finally arrived!

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:35 AM
VCU finished 19-10, 11-7 in the Colonial Athletic Association this past season.

Please continue spelling Turgeon with a "d".

You didn't get what you asked for, just what you deserve.

OU has finally arrived!
Thanks for your input.

You may go back to your coloring book now.

Dio
4/11/2006, 11:41 AM
Ruprect, you've been banging your pots again, haven't you?

Ruprecht
4/11/2006, 11:56 AM
Just a little good natured wondering, with the benefit of hindsight, why Turgeon was such a bad idea. Seems like yesterday it was becuase you were only accepting the biggest of the big names.

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:07 PM
I never thought we'd get a "big name" guy.

The biggest names I thought we'd get would be Hobbs or Turgeon.

My guy from the get-go was Pelphrey at S. Alabama.

boomersooner82
4/11/2006, 12:39 PM
I like that the hire was announced late last night. Here I thought I'd have to do work today. God bless you internet! I'm Capel Crazy!

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 05:40 PM
I like the hire even more after the Press Conference.

Also, most of the press guys I dislike do not like the hire, including Poke press people who are acting all smug about their having Rat Boy.

Capel's going to give 'em all a big ****burger to eat. Next year too. Be on the watch for some interesting players committing to OU very soon.