PDA

View Full Version : Better get a move on.

Sooner24
4/10/2006, 09:24 PM
Elderly woman gets $114 ticket for slow street crossing

07:45 PM CDT on Monday, April 10, 2006
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES – Mayvis Coyle, 82, shuffled across a San Fernando Valley intersection with her cane, but couldn't cross to the other side before the light turned red.

A motorcycle officer then gave her a $114 ticket Feb. 15 for taking too long to cross the street and told her she was obstructing traffic.

"I think it's completely outrageous," said Coyle, who described herself as a Cherokee medicine woman. "He treated me like a 6-year-old, like I don't know what I'm doing."

Police have been cracking down on people who improperly cross streets because pedestrian accidents are above normal, said Sgt. Mike Zaboski of the LAPD's Valley Traffic Division. Zaboski said he could not comment on Coyle's ticket, other than to say that it is her word against that of the citing officer.

"I'd rather not have angry pedestrians," Zaboski said. "But I'd rather have them be alive."

Others, however, support Coyle's contention that the light in question doesn't give people enough time to cross the busy, five-lane boulevard.

"I can go halfway, then the light changes," said Edith Krause, 78, who uses an electric cart because she has difficulty walking.

Councilwoman Wendy Greuel said she has asked transportation officials to figure out how to accommodate elderly people.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 09:29 PM
Clearly, old people should just not cross streets.