PDA

View Full Version : With energy prices what they are, the thing people need to get cracking on is..

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 11:33 AM
The commoditization of switchgrass so we can begin kicking switchgrass ethanol production into gear being that it is far more efficent than corn. The techonolgy is just about ready, it's the marketing and processing infrastructure that we need. Otherwise ethanol production may be hurting in the near future as corn acres look to be way off this year which will cause corn prices to rise when combined with increased consumption of corn and record cattle numbers, will look to retard ethanol development and Dean will make less money because feeder cattle prices will respond to increased supply and feeding costs.

NormanPride
4/10/2006, 11:37 AM
This is something I've never really understood: we have the ability to phase in a fuel system that we have a LOT of control over. You'd think the government/big farms/energy corporations would be positively DROOLING over this. And yet, we still sit on oil because we're just too damn lazy to care that OPEC is anally violating us every day.

yermom
4/10/2006, 11:40 AM
if by we you mean the oil companies

record profits aren't going to make them want to change their business are they?

NormanPride
4/10/2006, 11:43 AM
Monopoly/Cartel > record profits, imo

But then, I'm all about planning for the future and keeping power within the US. But what the hell do I know. ;)

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 11:46 AM
if by we you mean the oil companies

record profits aren't going to make them want to change their business are they?
However, right now ethanol companies are making more per gallon than oil companies due to lower corn costs. Ethanol demand is spiking right now as the price for 90/10 blend went from 10 cents under regular to 10 cents over regular. Switchgrass and/or sugar ethanol could be more lucrative to energy companies over the long haul.

Condescending Sooner
4/10/2006, 11:47 AM
The problem is that with current technology, it uses more energy to produce the ethanol than it saves. Not cost effective versus oil........yet.

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 11:57 AM
The problem is that with current technology, it uses more energy to produce the ethanol than it saves. Not cost effective versus oil........yet.
That's not true anymore even with corn, as plants have gotten much bigger economies of scale have changed that. Switchgrass and sugar are even more efficent, just ask Brazil which has achieved energy independence through ethanol.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 12:10 PM
That's not true anymore even with corn, as plants have gotten much bigger economies of scale have changed that. Switchgrass and sugar are even more efficent, just ask Brazil which has achieved energy independence through ethanol.

I've heard from Brazilians that those cars have problems with not starting when it gets cold, though....

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 05:18 PM
I've heard from Brazilians that those cars have problems with not starting when it gets cold, though....
But their gas prices don't go crazy every time something happens in the Middle East. Stuff like that can be fixed or worked around, diesels don't like to start in the cold either, so they invented engine block heaters.

StoopTroup
4/10/2006, 05:20 PM
Is corn a fruit?
http://www.clipartguide.com/_small/0060-0504-2515-2608.jpg

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 05:22 PM
Is corn a fruit?
http://www.clipartguide.com/_small/0060-0504-2515-2608.jpg
Give the scienctist at DuPont sometime and it will be.

mdklatt
4/10/2006, 06:21 PM

Like you can even possibly know brazilians of people. :rolleyes:

Had to be done.

mrowl
4/10/2006, 06:25 PM
e85 would be cool if there were any stations in DFW. BUT there are NONE.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 06:27 PM
Like you can even possibly know brazilians of people. :rolleyes:

Had to be done.

I only know a few brazilians of people. One of them is very hawt. Of course, if you posers showed up to my latin band's gigs, you'd know that already. ;)

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 06:30 PM
e85 would be cool if there were any stations in DFW. BUT there are NONE.
The capacity and infrastructure isn't quite there yet to get ethanol widely available outside the big corn growing states.

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 06:35 PM
The commoditization of switchgrass so we can begin kicking switchgrass ethanol production into gear being that it is far more efficent than corn. The techonolgy is just about ready, it's the marketing and processing infrastructure that we need. Otherwise ethanol production may be hurting in the near future as corn acres look to be way off this year which will cause corn prices to rise when combined with increased consumption of corn and record cattle numbers, will look to retard ethanol development and Dean will make less money because feeder cattle prices will respond to increased supply and feeding costs.

And, of course, Nebraska will have quite the booming economy and become the fuel mecca of the country, right? :D

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 06:44 PM
And, of course, Nebraska will have quite the booming economy and become the fuel mecca of the country, right? :D
Well we have switchgrass and corn in abundance and will be cranking out a billion gallons of ethanol a year by mid-2007. Nebraska's economy isn't hurting right now, particularly because we not very manufacturing based.

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 10:51 PM
The capacity and infrastructure isn't quite there yet to get ethanol widely available outside the big corn growing states.

Like Oklahoma! :texan:

SoonerInKCMO
4/10/2006, 11:16 PM
Well we have switchgrass and corn in abundance and will be cranking out a billion gallons of ethanol a year by mid-2007. Nebraska's economy isn't hurting right now, particularly because we not very manufacturing based.

Which, if every car in the U.S. used E85, would last about three days.

How much land area would be needed to grow enough switchgrass to supply the U.S. with fuel at current consumption rates?

yermom
4/10/2006, 11:44 PM
I only know a few brazilians of people. One of them is very hawt. Of course, if you posers showed up to my latin band's gigs, you'd know that already. ;)

you should have advertised this fact earlier

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 11:45 PM
I would think a switch to ethanol-based fuel would only be part of a larger solution. The bigger solution should probably also involve better urban design, mass transit, and electric commuter vehicles.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 11:45 PM
you should have advertised this fact earlier

Well, I'm pretty sure she's engaged now. But that doesn't mean you can't look. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:47 PM
I would think a switch to ethanol-based fuel would only be part of a larger solution. The bigger solution should probably also involve better urban design, mass transit, and electric commuter vehicles.

Earnest Ist-crook didn't want Oklahoma having funding to have a study on mass transit, instead he sent the money to Utah to get their system up and running before the Olympics. Mormon homer! :rolleyes: ;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:47 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure she's engaged now. But that doesn't mean you can't touch. ;)

F*** YEAH! :cool:

royalfan5
4/11/2006, 08:30 AM
Which, if every car in the U.S. used E85, would last about three days.

How much land area would be needed to grow enough switchgrass to supply the U.S. with fuel at current consumption rates?
Less land area would be needed for switchgrass than corn as switchgrass is much more efficent than corn. That billion wouldn't go a long way at E85 but if you use lower percentage blends like 90/10 you can still put a signifcant dent in oil consumption. Plus if you get bio-diesel going that would help allot too.

soonerjoker
4/11/2006, 10:11 AM
we can all hitch a ride in willie's bus.