PDA

View Full Version : Gas will be around $4 per gallon this summer.

GDC
4/10/2006, 11:00 AM
Believe it.:mad: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/bush.gif:texan:

SoonerInKCMO
4/10/2006, 11:01 AM
Good for me. Maybe some more people will trade in their big SUVs for something smaller that I can see past while I'm driving behind them.

Osce0la
4/10/2006, 11:06 AM
Won't matter to me for too long. After a few car notes go to the gas tank instead of Honda, they'll reposess my car, and I won't have to worry about gas prices any more. Problem solved. :cool:

OUDoc
4/10/2006, 11:07 AM
They all deserve syphilis. Maybe even tertiary syphilis.

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 11:08 AM
If there was ever a time for the US auto industry to kick into high gear, it's now. If they started cranking out hybrids, dropped the price, and started pushing dealer incentives on them, there would be an auto sales boom of epic proportions.

They'd also have to make sure all the dealerships were equipped to service them. Might be a significant capital outlay, but they could really corner the market.

oumartin
4/10/2006, 11:09 AM
oh well. state tourist industries will suffer, people will no longer buy the big gas guzzlers and people will find alternative fuels..

Petro-Sooner
4/10/2006, 11:10 AM
:texan:

Vaevictis
4/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Heh, Prius here I come.

oumartin
4/10/2006, 11:14 AM
gm and ford will continue to lay off workers by the 1,000's while the car companies like honda and toyota thrive on making fuel economical cars..

OUDoc
4/10/2006, 11:15 AM
gm and ford will continue to lay off workers by the 1,000's while the car companies like honda and toyota thrive on making fuel economical cars..
And I go screaming past the Hondas and Toyotas at 100mph. Until I run out of gas after a mile. :(

KABOOKIE
4/10/2006, 11:17 AM
Meanwhile profits are up at the oil companies.

Vaevictis

Won't be the first time. You'd think that the bloody American car companies would learn; this is how they lost so much market share in the first place (in the 1970's).

oumartin
all you have to do is look at who is laying off and who isnt'

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 11:18 AM
And I go screaming past the Hondas and Toyotas at 100mph. Until I run out of gas after a mile. :(
Same for me. That premium-burning V-8 Caddy engine rocks until you realize you're only getting about 18 mpg average.

(And I still wish the car was 2 years younger with the Northstar engine - 100 more horsepower.)

oumartin
4/10/2006, 11:18 AM
don't blame the oil companies. they are gonna charge what they can get away with. just doing what anyone would do. someone is gonna have to step up and force their hand

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 11:19 AM

Good point. Which also means that the State coffers will be flush.

Look on the bright side. As long as the Repubs stay in power in Oklahoma, we can look forward to the State income tax dropping. :D

JohnnyMack
4/10/2006, 11:19 AM

It's cause more people are driving, not because of profit margins. Don't think it means there are bigger profit margins, cause there aren't. No sirree, not bigger margins. Not at all. Nope. Didn't happen.

oumartin
4/10/2006, 11:20 AM
meanwhile you can buy 3 times the house you could ten years ago for the same mortgage payment. it's all a wash

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 11:20 AM
Same for me. That premium-burning V-8 Caddy engine rocks until you realize you're only getting about 18 mpg average.

(And I still wish the car was 2 years younger with the Northstar engine - 100 more horsepower.)

Huh. I understood that the Northstar's performance was better than that.

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 11:22 AM
meanwhile you can buy 3 times the house you could ten years ago for the same mortgage payment. it's all a wash

Right. With the equity I have in my house, I could sell it and maybe I'd be able to afford gas this summer. ;)

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 11:23 AM
I'll grumble as usual, but I'll do it while enjoying an AVERAGE of 33 MPG (most of my driving is on the HWY)

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 11:25 AM
It's cause more people are driving, not because of profit margins. Don't think it means there are bigger profit margins, cause there aren't. No sirree, not bigger margins. Not at all. Nope. Didn't happen.

exactly. which is why exxon mobile just passed the devil (walmart) for the #1 spot on the fortune 500 list. The oil companies are about to go under I tell ya!!!!

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/10/2006, 11:25 AM
I'll grumble

The devil you say!

Beef
4/10/2006, 11:26 AM
I might get me a motorcycle. A big, loud ****er.

setem
http://i1.tinypic.com/v58s5v.jpg

Classy ehh?

OU Adonis
Its supply and demand. Thats how capitalism works. I don't see anyone walking/taking a bike to work.

Stoop Dawg
4/10/2006, 11:27 AM
:texan:

God’s finest little creatures
Looking brave and strong
Whistling past the graveyard
Nothing can go wrong

Boarder
4/10/2006, 11:27 AM
Good, maybe there'll be less goobers in my way at the lake.

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 11:28 AM
Its supply and demand. Thats how capitalism works. I don't see anyone walking/taking a bike to work.

I'm all about biking, but 35 miles each way is a bit far for me.

royalfan5
4/10/2006, 11:28 AM
Good thing my roomate went crazy and forced me to move withing walking distance of work and school.

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 11:29 AM
I currently carpool with my boss....I wonder how he feels about a tandem cycle......

OUstudent4life
4/10/2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah, 'cause I want to live near where I work.

...and get shot at alot.

:twinkies:

NormanPride
4/10/2006, 11:34 AM

Give me a viable mass transit system and I'll gladly stop driving. GLADLY. I hate traffic, and it would let me read or something on the way to work. I loved taking the Cart at OU.

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 11:36 AM
when I lived & worked in OKC I was 7 miles away from work. It took me about 10 minutes to get to/from work. I looked into taking the bus and it would have taken me OVER 2 HOURS each way. uhhhhhh.

Boomer.....
4/10/2006, 11:45 AM

Don't feel bad, I am lucky to get 14-15 mpg with 3/4 highway driving. I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew with a 5.4L V8.

OU Adonis
4/10/2006, 11:49 AM
I get 19 on the highway, 16 in the city.

I also don't get into my car to walk to the store thats 100 yards away either. :D

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 11:51 AM
Huh. I understood that the Northstar's performance was better than that.
Holy cow, posts are going all crazygonuts.

Anyway, my car's a 1990, gets about 190 horsepower. the 1992 El Dorado with the Northstar was rated at about 285 horsepower. That's almost a 100 horsepower difference.

yermom
4/10/2006, 11:52 AM
Don't feel bad, I am lucky to get 14-15 mpg with 3/4 highway driving. I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew with a 5.4L V8.

yeah, that's about where i am with my 2.5L H4, best i've gotten was almost 24

GDC
4/10/2006, 12:02 PM
Good, maybe there'll be less goobers in my way at the lake.

There's no water in the lake, anyway.:(

I sure wish we had a kick *** train system like in Europe.

GDC
4/10/2006, 12:07 PM
Good point. Which also means that the State coffers will be flush.

Look on the bright side. As long as the Repubs stay in power in Oklahoma, we can look forward to the State income tax dropping. :D

...and Oklahoma teacher pay will stay near the bottom in the country.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 12:13 PM

Agreed. the whole time I was in London and Paris a car was completely unnecessary.

mdklatt
4/10/2006, 12:14 PM
...and Oklahoma pay will stay near the bottom in the country.

Fixed.

Boarder
4/10/2006, 05:27 PM
There's no water in the lake, anyway.:(

Yeah, I may have to learn to love boarding in the middle of the lake.

Stoop Dawg
4/10/2006, 05:31 PM
I never understood why boarders with huge sacks of water in the backs of their boats designed to throw the biggest wake possible complain about choppy water. ;)

mdklatt
4/10/2006, 05:36 PM
I never understood why boarders with huge sacks of water in the backs of their boats designed to throw the biggest wake possible complain about choppy water. ;)

I know why....

OUHOMER
4/10/2006, 05:50 PM
My suzuki C50T gets 44 mpg.... I love driving my motorcycle past all the gas stations.... it just sucks watching out for all the fools out there.

mdklatt
4/10/2006, 05:52 PM
My suzuki C50T gets 44 mpg.... I love driving my motorcycle past all the gas stations.... it just sucks watching out for all the fools out there.

I guess you're the one motorcycle rider out of 50 that doesn't weave in and out of traffic at high speed, then. :D

OUHOMER
4/10/2006, 06:01 PM
I guess you're the one motorcycle rider out of 50 that doesn't weave in and out of traffic at high speed, then. :D

NEVER, i have gotten old and dont think i would heal too fast after hitting a car or concrete..:(

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 06:28 PM
...and Oklahoma's cost of living will stay near the bottom in the country.

Fixed better. :D

And as for teacher pay, we can throw all the money we want at the public schools, they won't get any better unless the whole mindset changes. Which won't happen. Paying teachers more just means we pay bad teachers more. If we had teachers who actually knew how to teach (as opposed to the products of our higher education system) instead of socially conditioning kids, our schools would be the best in the world.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 06:50 PM
And as for teacher pay, we can throw all the money we want at the public schools, they won't get any better unless the whole mindset changes. Which won't happen. Paying teachers more just means we pay bad teachers more. If we had teachers who actually knew how to teach (as opposed to the products of our higher education system) instead of socially conditioning kids, our schools would be the best in the world.

True.

sooneron
4/10/2006, 08:55 PM
I walk .5 mi to the train, then walk or take the subway to the office depending on weather. Commuterism bitches!!:texan:

Okla-homey
4/10/2006, 09:41 PM
I'm all about biking, but 35 miles each way is a bit far for me.
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7742/bikerfoxdetail3jt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
:eek:

TopDaugIn2000
4/10/2006, 10:13 PM
thanks but no thanks, homey

Boarder
4/10/2006, 10:47 PM
You gots to have it smooth going into the huge wake. Duh!

JohnnyMack
4/10/2006, 10:48 PM
We have no one to blame in this but ourselves.

boomersooner28
4/10/2006, 11:09 PM
I have a boat for sale. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

afs
4/10/2006, 11:10 PM
Everyone needs to start filling up your empty milk jugs now.

Okla-homey
4/11/2006, 05:18 AM
Everyone needs to start filling up your empty milk jugs now.

and line them up in a neat row on your patio -- 'cause having gallon milk jugs full of highly flammable gasoline actually inside your home is dangerous and stuff.

OUDoc
4/11/2006, 08:06 AM
We have no one to blame in this but ourselves.
Oh, and the gas companies. Yeah, mostly the gas companies.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 08:39 AM
I know this will be hard for some people (like JM) to understand , but when the price of feedstock AND consumption goes up, so do the prices of the end product usually.

Also, it helps A LOT that the tree hugging enviro-commies have made it essentially to cost prohibitive and now takes years of permitting to build a new refinery in this country, which is why there havn't been any new refineries in the last 30 years.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2006, 09:26 AM
I'm as guilty of the rest of us when it comes to not doing what I should to try and reduce the amount of fuel I use. We just got a new SUV that isn't exatcly eco-friendly or fuel efficient, so that's my fault. I would argue that most of us aren't taking the necessary steps to reduce our personal fuel consumption. Because we're all spoiled brats. We try and keep up with the Joneses.

Beyond each of our personal shortcomings in terms of character flaws I would stand by my argument that we as a nation are guilty of a string of systemic failures in terms of our handling of our energy needs. We haven't been hard enough on fuel efficiency standards, we haven't built the additional refineries necessary and we haven't distanced ourselves from our need for foreign oil.

So again, we have no one to blame for this situation but ourselves.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 09:42 AM
On that, I would agree.

I am really excited about Ethanol though.

That is happening really fast. At the plant construction level, there are more than 5 new projects announced DAILY.

Expect flexfuel cars to be the norm really soon IMO.

If E85 can become the norm, combined with hybrid technology, then the autofuel issue could be solved in 10 years or so. Ramjet combustion could save jetfuel in the future as well.

But to think we will ever remove ourselves from oil isn't realistic, considering you have to use hydrocarbons to make everything, including renewables at this time. To say we are addicted to oil is like saying we are addicted to blood.

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 09:45 AM
too bad we can't get vehicles to run off methane...

slick's secretary and our office "crop duster" would have it made! plenty to go around for everyone

JohnnyMack
4/11/2006, 09:49 AM
too bad we can't get vehicles to run off methane...

slick's secretary and our office "crop duster" would have it made! plenty to go around for everyone

:les:SEMI!!!!!!!!!

just testing your reflexes. :O

SoonerInKCMO
4/11/2006, 09:51 AM
Also, it helps A LOT that the tree hugging enviro-commies have made it essentially to cost prohibitive and now takes years of permitting to build a new refinery in this country, which is why there havn't been any new refineries in the last 30 years.

Granted, the environmental regulations for new refineries are onerous... but isn't the declining production of domestic crude also a large reason why no new refineries are being built?

Stoop Dawg
4/11/2006, 09:51 AM
You gots to have it smooth going into the huge wake. Duh!

Lord knows I need it smoother than most. But you have to laugh at the irony. :)

slickdawg
4/11/2006, 09:52 AM
I can say this, the price has JUMPED a quarter to 35 cents in the last week here.

$2.75 a gallon yesterday, $2.69 was the cheapest I saw.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 09:54 AM
Granted, the environmental regulations for new refineries are onerous... but isn't the declining production of domestic crude also a large reason why no new refineries are being built?

No.

There are refineres planned for mexico now, cause they can't get built here.

Its much cheaper and cost effective to import crude than it is gasoline.

I shutter to think that the wackos at PEMEX could have us by the balls with our gasoline supply.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Speaking of Mexico,

Anyone hear who might succeed Vincente Fox?

I'll just say it sounds like the ******* makes Hugo Chavez look like Rush Limbaugh!

SoonerInKCMO
4/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Its much cheaper and cost effective to import crude than it is gasoline.

Hmmm... I wouldn't have expected that.

GDC
4/11/2006, 10:11 AM
We should just annex Mexico, anyway.

handcrafted
4/11/2006, 10:16 AM
We should just annex Mexico, anyway.

Now yer thinkin. :D

SoonerInKCMO
4/11/2006, 10:53 AM
Hmmm... I wouldn't have expected that.

I should amend that to say that I wouldn't have expected it because I hadn't given it more than a second or two of thought. Seems logical that the higher volatility of gasoline would make it much more expensive to transport than crude oil. :der:

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 11:00 AM
I should amend that to say that I wouldn't have expected it because I hadn't given it more than a second or two of thought. Seems logical that the higher volatility of gasoline would make it much more expensive to transport than crude oil. :der:

Its not that.

Its the distribution of the product.

See, every state has different MTBE or additive requirements because of state emission standards, so the gas they sell in LA is a lot different than the gas they sell here in Tulsa, as its more "doctored" to reduce emissions in LA.

Well, if you import gas, you basically add a very costly step, which means adding yet another process. Its much cheaper to import the crude and then refine and distribute and not import refined product, treat and then distribute.

We can all bitch about Light Sweet Crude being the price it is, but it’s the refinery capacity that’s gonna kill us. No doubt that rise of 35% overnite we saw was the beginning of tunraround season for the refineries, and its probably just getting started before the summer driving season heats up.

SoonerInKCMO
4/11/2006, 11:30 AM
Ah, I see now. I think. So, what I'm getting from what you said is that it's cheaper to have 'customized' refineries that focus on a specific blend by both refining and introducing additives than to buy generic gas and introduce the additives at the distribution facilities.

mdklatt
4/11/2006, 11:33 AM
I have a boat for sale. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You should learn how to sail. :)

soonerbrat
4/11/2006, 11:38 AM
They all deserve syphilis. Maybe even tertiary syphilis.

nobody deserves tertiary syphilis.