PDA

View Full Version : Word on Jason Detrick

Edwin
4/10/2006, 08:17 AM
Hi,

Just a small word from Holland (you know, a small country in Europe) on Jason Detrick a member of the Sooner Basketball team that went on to reach the Final Four. He currently plays pro ball for the team I support: the MPC Capitals .

He caught the eye of our scouts when he was elected MVP of the Austrian basketball league last season. Jason has had a tough season this year. He's found it hard to adjust to the fact that he was no longer the go-t-guy which he was in Austria. Playing without the ball in your hands just requires a different approach to your own play as Jason found out during the first part of our season. Jason has recently returned to the teams line up after having been out for about a month with back problems (T-mac like).

Jason is a very likeable guy wich I have come to like a lot. He has a very positive attitude and a healthy work ethic (our coach is very demanding). Jason and I speak quite regularly and the toppic off late has been the departure of coach Sampson. His game seems to be getting better with the day. We started the season with both our top players injured (Travis Reed, former UCLA and Long Beach State and Travis Young who played collegeball at Marshall) wich meant that all (well a lot of the eyes hahaha) were on Jason. It also meant that he didn't get any room for his famous penetrations. He had to be content with playing some hardnose defense wich he did (he's averaging 4 rebounds and nearly 2 steals per game).

Jason had one of his best games for us in our last regular season match against Omniworld netting 18 in a convincing win. Anyone interested in his efforts during the oncomming play-offs is advised to check out the following websites:

www.mpccapitals.nl (official club website),
www.donarbasketbal.com (fansite)
or
www.debasketballsitevannederland.nl (choose feb eredivisie on the left)

I'll keep you guys posted on our and his progress during the play-offs!

Edwin

Go Boomer Sooner!!

SpiderInMyPeanuts
4/10/2006, 08:25 AM
Does Jason speak well of Kelvin Sampson? Sampson asked him to red-shirt his senior year which gave him an extra year of eligibility. That was very unselfish of him to do so.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=Edwin]

It also meant that he didn't get any room for his famous penetrations.

Anyone else concerned? :D

Seriously, thanks for the update.

okienole3
4/10/2006, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=Edwin]

It also meant that he didn't get any room for his famous penetrations.

Anyone else concerned? :D

Seriously, thanks for the update.

Red Light District

Edwin
4/10/2006, 08:38 AM
I do know that he (Jason) is very proud of having been a part of the OU basketball team. He is till in contact with Hollis, Ebi, Quannas, Kevin and some guys at OU. He was suprised by the departure of Sampson. To me Jason has always spoken about coach Sampson with the greatest respect, emphasising that he had become e more solid, fundamentally sound, all-round baller during his years under coach Sampson.

I will ask him on his thoughts on coach Sampson in a weeks time (next match).

Collier11
4/10/2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the update, cool website sept for I dont speak a word of whatever frickin language that is, is there a english version?

Edwin
4/10/2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the update, cool website sept for I dont speak a word of whatever frickin language that is, is there a english version?

I hate to dissapoint you but the answer is nope!

We have some other players on our team that you guys might know

1. Tom Timmermans (7-footer that played for Notre Dame he even played OU on a couple of occasions)

2. Daniel Novak (former Southwest Missouri State)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 10:43 AM
I do know that he (Jason) is very proud of having been a part of the OU basketball team. He is till in contact with Hollis, Ebi, Quannas, Kevin and some guys at OU. He was suprised by the departure of Sampson. To me Jason has always spoken about coach Sampson with the greatest respect, emphasising that he had become e more solid, fundamentally sound, all-round baller during his years under coach Sampson.

I will ask him on his thoughts on coach Sampson in a weeks time (next match).

Just make sure you don't give him too much room when you ask him. :eek:

Thanks for the update. I wish Jason much success.

boomersooner28
4/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the info Edwin!

ouflak
4/10/2006, 11:35 AM
Wish I'd known he was in Austria. I would have gone to watch him play. I'll have to look into how far away Holland is from here....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/10/2006, 11:46 AM
$40 on ryanair...

Edwin
4/11/2006, 03:18 AM
Wish I'd known he was in Austria. I would have gone to watch him play. I'll have to look into how far away Holland is from here....

Please let me know if you feel like comming over to watch him play, I'll get you some tickets an arrange for him to meet you!

Do remember that the play-offs can be over in 2 matches (best of three) but we will not bow out in the first round as we will probably finish second or third in the regular season, winning 10 of the last 13 matches we played!

suncoastsooner7
4/11/2006, 10:54 AM
I would have thought he would have been used to not being the go to guy after his time at OU. I mean don't get me wrong I like Detrick but I can't ever recall a time he was ever the go to guy on OU's team. That isn't to say he didn't make some big plays. I believe it was he who saved the game @ Michigan State on that dark day in December of 2003?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 11:15 AM
I would have thought he would have been used to not being the go to guy after his time at OU. I mean don't get me wrong I like Detrick but I can't ever recall a time he was ever the go to guy on OU's team. That isn't to say he didn't make some big plays. I believe it was he who saved the game @ Michigan State on that dark day in December of 2003?

We lost the game but Detrick almost single handidly won the game at Colorado in 03-04, which it turn probably would have got us in the tourney that year. It was an "almost" of course but Detrick was the go-to guy that game.