PDA

View Full Version : Re: A Trip to He**

Partial Qualifier
4/10/2006, 07:56 AM
I bet that 1/4 mile in reverse with a trailer on back & being chased by flames put a few gray hairs on your head! Good job, btw

edit: umm, why is this up here :confused: :)

Flagstaffsooner
4/10/2006, 08:07 AM
IB4OU2, if you come to AZ this summer be ready for round two.

IB4OU2
4/10/2006, 09:21 AM
Our trip to Western OK for our annual spring turkey hunt turned into one heart pounding scary a5S weekend. We travelled out to Roger Mills county Thursday afternoon to hunt all day Friday and Saturday morning. The high winds on the way out there were a sign of things to come. When we reached a little town called Hammon Ok. we could see a huge smoke cloud coming from Roger Mills county which was our destination (The Bar Z ranch).

We made it to Cheyenne OK. and stopped to reserve our motel room and there was smoke everywhere. The Bar Z ranch is about 12 miles west of Cheyenne and we decided to drive on out to drop off the 4 wheeler. About 6 miles out on highway 47 the bridge was out so we had to take a country road to detour around the construction. We drove about three miles down the country road and there was heavy smoke and fire to the west and south of us (did I mention the winds were blowing 50-60 miles).

We drove down this long hill and about this time a game ranger races up the hill and stops and looks scared sh*tless. All he says is "Go that Way!"
pointing to the east and there was smoke and flame following him about 200 hundred yards back being pushed along with the high winds I mentioned earlier. I said "Will Do" and pull down the small road a bit to find a place to turn around. Wer'e driving a diesel Ram 4 wheel drive pickup with a long trailer pulling a 4 wheeler and the road was so narrow with steep sides there was no F***ing place to turn around. With the fire and smoke getting closer my buddy starts to panic and says "I'm going to disconnect the trailer so we can get out of here so he jumps out of the truck. I said F*** that! and I put the Truck in reverse and back it up that narrow road for about 1/4 mile and finally found a place to turn around. We made our way back to Cheyenne and found out the Bar Z was on fire and about half of it was burned. We ended up going out there Friday morning and spent that time helping the ranch owners and families move livestock and watch for the wildfires and hotspots.

The hunt was a bust pretty much but I think we helped some of our Western Ok. neighbors when they really needed it. :)

crawfish
4/10/2006, 09:26 AM
You earn the good samaritan award for the week.

Glad you're all ok.

yermom
4/10/2006, 09:26 AM
yikes

glad you got out OK

good jorb on the ranch thing

Hatfield
4/10/2006, 09:37 AM
when we played hammon in high school bball....we would joke that their mascot was "eggs".....and then ryan damon minor would commence mopping the floor with us.

Norm In Norman
4/10/2006, 09:42 AM
Dude, that sucks. I bet you get a free motel room next time.

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 10:07 AM
You rock IB4. Lesser men woulda just bailed a5s back to OKC. I hope the ranch will be back in operation soon.

IB4OU2
4/10/2006, 10:17 AM
You rock IB4. Lesser men woulda just bailed a5s back to OKC. I hope the ranch will be back in operation soon.

Thanks, but the real hero's are the firefighters in this state that have been fighting these fires for the last 6-7 months......There were THOUSANDS of acres burned in Roger Mills county last weekend.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 10:45 AM
Wow. Good job, and I'm glad you guys were ok.

Osce0la
4/10/2006, 11:05 AM
I thought this was a thread talking about a trip to Alabama...

IB4OU2
4/10/2006, 09:43 PM
IB4OU2, if you come to AZ this summer be ready for round two.

Flag, atleast I'll be driving a Honda instead of a Dodge Ram pulling a loaded trailer... Oh, and this thread has some wierd dynamics.

Tailwind
4/10/2006, 10:03 PM
dayum! I'd a wet myself fo sho!

IB4OU2
4/10/2006, 10:10 PM
dayum! I'd a wet myself fo sho!

That would of helped us alot more than the picture in your Avie Tail......:D