PDA

View Full Version : so you have a house built and they guarentee you they'll fix any problems for a year

usmc-sooner
4/10/2006, 07:50 AM
they give you a walk though @ 6 months and a year. What if they don't fix the stuff you need fixed.

Do you have to take them to court? I'm about 2 months away from the 1 year thing and they haven't taken care of the stuff from the 6 month walk through.

usmc-sooner
4/10/2006, 07:52 AM
One more thing the paint they used on the interior was either really cheap or they just hurried though with one coat. They now say that repainting the interior is out of the question. I'm thinking about having repainted and sending them the bill. Or small claims court. If I threaten them with this do you think they'd repaint it or just say do what you gotta do.

anyone else go through this before.

Taxman71
4/10/2006, 08:04 AM
Document everything your builder says and everything you want said in a dated writing via letter to the builder. If they know you are documenting their failure, they are much quicker to respond. The arbitration process generally favors the builder so don't expect much there. You will have more success being a pain in their side with daily phone calls, etc. Small claims is a crapshoot, but generally favors the builder since they have been using that same contract for a while most likely.

IMO, the builder should be much more worried about his reputation than hiring a minimum wager to give you another coat of paint. Complaints to builder's association, business bureaus and the like work well.

1stTimeCaller
4/10/2006, 08:08 AM
I'll round up some info for you about standards in regards to your paint. Do you have the contract handy from the sale of the house?

Write them a letter and list all defiencies and give them a reasonable time to complete the work, say two weeks.

Harry Beanbag
4/10/2006, 09:15 AM
They should have an arbitration process before you get to the point of going to court. At least our builder did, maybe it's an Arizona thing.

Our paint was pretty crappy too, but we were planning on repainting everything in a non-white color anyway so it didn't really matter.

usmc-sooner
4/10/2006, 09:32 AM
yeah they do have an abritration process, I'm not to upset now but they seem like the are really good at procrastinating and giving you the run around once the years up, I'll be much more demanding.

yermom
4/10/2006, 09:52 AM
i'd put everything in writing before the year is up... pictures too. and snail mail them and yourself copy.

that way they can't screw you on the dates, how much that might help, i have no idea, but it should CYA a bit

handcrafted
4/10/2006, 10:28 AM
Follow all advice above, and get a lawyer post-haste. The sooner you get your attorney on their butts, the faster the work will get done. Trust me on this.

Penguin
4/10/2006, 10:42 AM
Burn that puppy down and tell them to rebuild it the right way.