PDA

View Full Version : the magical powers of Joe Castiglione

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 04:08 AM
some of our fanbase need to scale back the Joe C. walking on water stuff.

JMO.

oumartin
4/10/2006, 04:21 AM
i'm with u!

this is a guy highly regarded by sports animal hosts after all.
Gene Stephenson, LNC arrangement, any others?

Sooner in Tampa
4/10/2006, 06:34 AM
Let's wait and see who is brought in as our coach...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 07:02 AM
I don't know how you can argue that JC isnt the best athletic director in the land. He has built our athletic dept. into perhaps the best in the country. We have made a complete 180 compared to when he arrived on campus. He brought greatness back to Oklahoma. From incredible facilities to championships in less than a decade, our campus just looks different and has a better feel to it. Joe C. is a great part of that. I don't want anybody else. In still have faith that he will make the right hire. All because it has taken two and a half weeks to find a new coach doesnt mean he isnt great at doing his job.

I have to second that. Obviously it was far from a one man accomplishment but if you look where we were 10 years ago and where we are today, there is no comparison.

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 07:13 AM
joe castigilione didn't win anything. the student-athletes and coaches at OU did. what Joe C. does is continually browbeat longtime donors for *more* money.

Joe C. has nothing to do with the way the campus "feels" or looks.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 07:34 AM
next post

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 07:37 AM
some of our fanbase need to scale back the Joe C. walking on water stuff.

JMO.

are you likening Joe C. to Ric Ocasek?

http://dreamvalley-mlp.com/cars/graphics/pool.jpg

Grimey
4/10/2006, 08:02 AM
test

Grimey
4/10/2006, 08:08 AM
I'm psychic. To prove it, I predict at 4/10/2006, 10:51 AM that
CarolinaSoonerinFla
Sooner All-Big XII
will say the following:

message boards are the debbil when it comes to hiring a new coach...every freakin idiot with a keyboard has an "inside" source.

Sincerely,

Grimey

caphorns
4/10/2006, 08:16 AM
nm

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 08:54 AM
joe castigilione didn't win anything. the student-athletes and coaches at OU did. what Joe C. does is continually browbeat longtime donors for *more* money.

Joe C. has nothing to do with the way the campus "feels" or looks.

That is like saying Mike Alden hasn't won or lost anything at Missouri. It isn't absolute, but the dots are not that hard to connect.

Say for example the Joe C had the type of personality that drove Bob Stoops to take the (ND,Ohio St, Florida, Subway) job x-years ago. Joe C then decided that Chuck Long is the next OU coach, meanwhile most if not all the assistants leave for other jobs. So coming off our 9-3 season in 03, we watch as Peterson sets all kinds of rushing records as a freshman, for Hook 'em . Now had that been the scenario Joe C wouldn't have lost any games, Chuck Long, the other coaches and the players would have. I think you get it, a good AD at the most creates an environment where coaches/programs can succeed or AT LEAST is able to keep from messing things up.

Not to say that Joe C doesn't browbeat the boosters for money but he does seem effective in that area.

I don't think Joe C walks on water and I don't know anywhere where AD's are rated but when someone says he is the best AD in the country, I tend to agree.

ouflak
4/10/2006, 09:08 AM
I don't know how you can argue that JC isnt the best athletic director in the land.

http://www.funfolly.com/g/mascots/c27170ud.jpg

ouflak
4/10/2006, 09:15 AM
There seems to be a small problem with the database here at Soonerfans.... Either that, or I've been caught in a time warp.

OKC-SLC
4/10/2006, 09:23 AM
you all are right--he has made some blunders I suppose. But hiring Bob, who actually DOES walk on water, was huge and gives him a pass for me until he makes a huge mistake (LNC and Gene were charlie-foxtrots, don't get me wrong).

CatfishSooner
4/10/2006, 09:30 AM
Joe C. is a great AD and I wouldn't want anyone else in the country...

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 09:59 AM
don't forget the mullet pig-ponies. and adios Top Daug. i don't have any real problem with the guy, i'm just tired of reading (mostly) at Insider where some asshat will post: "don't worry about it, Joe C. has a secret candidate...."....or nonsense like that. there are clearly some problems with the search thus far. and to be fair, we were way back in the process in a year where a lot of schools were hiring. and 2 in conference--KSU gets Huggy, and MU gets UAB's Anderson. but, this idea that Joe Castiglione is a double-naught spy and working some hot stuff under the radar or scooping the next John Wooden that no one has ever heard of *just because* he's Joe C......is silly.

i guess i'm just not a blind faith kind of guy.

ultimatesooner1
4/10/2006, 10:48 AM
i'm just tired of reading (mostly) at Insider where some asshat will post: "don't worry about it, Joe C. has a secret candidate...."....or nonsense like that.

therein lies the problem, the only board worth a flip over there is the OConnels board

Sooner in Tampa
4/10/2006, 10:51 AM
message boards are the debbil when it comes to hiring a new coach...every freakin idiot with a keyboard has an "inside" source.

skycat
4/10/2006, 10:56 AM
and to be fair, we were way back in the process in a year where a lot of schools were hiring. and 2 in conference--KSU gets Huggy, and MU gets UAB's Anderson.

Three in conference. ISU got McDermott too.

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:03 AM
Three in conference. ISU got McDermott too.

exactly, i forgot about that. all things being equal, that's a great hire...especially considering that Iowa was thinking that Alford was a shoe-in for IU.

OUGreg723
4/10/2006, 11:06 AM
I don't know how you can argue that JC isnt the best athletic director in the land. He has built our athletic dept. into perhaps the best in the country. We have made a complete 180 compared to when he arrived on campus. He brought greatness back to Oklahoma. From incredible facilities to championships in less than a decade, our campus just looks different and has a better feel to it. Joe C. is a great part of that. I don't want anybody else. In still have faith that he will make the right hire. All because it has taken two and a half weeks to find a new coach doesnt mean he isnt great at doing his job.