PDA

View Full Version : Possible New OU Coach?

Jay C. Upchurch
4/9/2006, 10:19 PM
Just a possibility from what I have heard...

Thoughts?

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/holladay_joe00.html

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 10:27 PM
I've heard he's a great guy and a great assistant, but IMO this would not even approach the home run of which Joe C. spoke.

NickZeppelin
4/9/2006, 10:27 PM
He would be pretty good. I'm not sure how good of a head coach he would be because he's been an assistant for a long time.

booomer
4/9/2006, 10:39 PM
I've had my heart set on Hobbs.....all these rumors are driving me crazy.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 10:43 PM
no way Jay. please say it aint so

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 10:45 PM
If NC State can get John Calipari and we have to find an assistant of a coach who used to routinely pwn us, I'm gonna be seriously ****ed.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 10:49 PM
if we end up with this guy, I'll be disappointed.

He's what, around 60 years old and has never been a HC for a D1 school.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 10:55 PM
dude, Rodgers just said Joe C. told him it would be at least another week before he had a coach..
I'm freakin'

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 11:00 PM
dude, Rodgers just said Joe C. told him it would be at least another week before he had a coach..
I'm freakin'

when did you start believing what Dodgie Rodgers says martin?

the first guy that I thought of for the job (Pelphrey) sound really dang good compared to Churchy's candidate.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 11:03 PM
maybe church is toying with us for us giving him heck this year..

I dont' know that i believe rodgers but gosh. I hope its not true.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 11:05 PM
maybe church is toying with us for us giving him heck this year..

if he is, he can eat :twinkies:

oumartin
4/9/2006, 11:13 PM
shouldn't he be doing Hoosier spectator?

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2006, 11:30 PM
is PJ Carlesimo still a candidate?

oumartin
4/9/2006, 11:31 PM
I heard that name on the news last night jk so I'm guessing he still might be in the mix.. why i don't know

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2006, 11:37 PM
i've heard several NBA coaches (good ones) talk about how good he is and that its a "crime" he hasnt been offered a HC job since the Sprewell incident.....its not as if Sprewell was an angel

i dont much care if its an assistant.....Bob Stoops was an assistant before he came here and he turned out ok......hiring an assistant isnt always a bad thing...I'm happy if we get a guy who's considered a VERY GOOD X's and O's coach and can recruit.......i dont much care if we get some guy from a mid major who's won a few games....

the bottom line is that no matter who it is, we're going to have no guarantee they'll be a failure or an immediate success

a name alone is just a name....only time will tell, i think whoever gets the job should get our support until he gives us reason not too

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 11:52 PM
Carlesimo would be cool. I haven't heard that one.

Just watched the Sports Blitz. Nothing new. They did say the Joe C. is done with the information gathering and is going to begin the Offer process this week. No real time frame was solidified (a week to 10 days or less or more)

birddog
4/9/2006, 11:53 PM
thanks jay. i was wondering if you had some info.

Jay C. Upchurch
4/10/2006, 12:15 AM
By no means am I saying Holladay is going to be the next coach. I simply heard he might be in the mix...

I believe the short list includes:

Karl Hobbs at GW
Frank Haith at Mia, Florida
Mark Fox at Nevada
Joe Holladay at UNC
Mark Turgeon at WSU
Jim Les at Bradley

...and I still believe OU has an outside shot at Gonzaga's Mark Few

But Joe Castiglione may have someone in mind that nobody else has any clue about. He's certainly kept his search under the radar.

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 12:29 AM
i cannot believe Few is a possibility.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 12:35 AM
i cannot believe Few is a possibility.

I'm right there with you. They did mention him as a top 5 candidate on the Sport Blitz just an hour or so ago. Take that for what it's worth.

Their top 5 potential candidates were:
Few - said not to discount
Floyd - is interested in maybe coming back to Big 12
Haith - most likely interested in NC State gig
Gillespie - said not to discount
Hobbs - mentioned the weekend hubbub

They mentioned Turgeon and Altman as secondary candidates.

King Crimson
4/10/2006, 12:45 AM
ATM will sell their mothers into white slavery in Morocco to keep Gillespie at any price. i don't see that happening. FLoyd doesn't excite me. i'd rather take a chance than a re-tread.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 12:55 AM
i'd rather take a chance than a re-tread.

I'm right there with ya.

Few and Hobbs from the first list I like. Turgeon would be acceptable.

I still think that Pelphrey would be an outstanding hire - the biggest gamble with the biggest potential payoff.

Scott D
4/10/2006, 01:55 AM
ATM will sell their mothers into white slavery in Morocco to keep Gillespie at any price. i don't see that happening. FLoyd doesn't excite me. i'd rather take a chance than a re-tread.

What makes you think they haven't done that already...and it wasn't about keeping Gillespie? ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/10/2006, 02:01 AM
anyone but floyd. he's been pulling ships on players after he recruited them...

Scott D
4/10/2006, 02:10 AM
I'm biased and would vote for PJ but that's because I almost attempted to be a walk-on at Seton Hall.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 09:15 AM
when did you start believing what Dodgie Rodgers says martin?

the first guy that I thought of for the job (Pelphrey) sound really dang good compared to Churchy's candidate.

I'm not sure that Pelphrey is a very good candidate either. He had good success as an assistant under Billy Donovon but his head coaching record isn't exaclty stellar.

02-03 14-14
03-04 12-16
04-05 10-18
05-06 24-7 NCAA Tourney

Certainly this year was a big step forward but the win/loss regressed from year 1-3. He may become a good candidate in a couple years but I don't see it now.

I'll have to say PJ Carlesimo is intriguing.

My gut still tells me it will be Turgeon.

Harry Beanbag
4/10/2006, 09:31 AM
I've given up trying to figure out who it'll be. I have heard there is no chance in hell that Haith will be the one though.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 10:17 AM
If Halladay is anything like the last Roy Williams assistant to take a head job I think we should pass. Neil Dougherty came to TCU and we are bad. Not just bad, getting beat by Tarelton State bad.

You are also TCU.

hey ;)

IB4OU2
4/10/2006, 10:30 AM
Just a possibility from what I have heard...

Thoughts?

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/holladay_joe00.html

I guess I would think that would be pretty cool since he was an assistant coach at Norman High when I was going to school there back in the early seventies and he's a really nice guy.

FroggyStyle22
4/10/2006, 10:40 AM
If Halladay is anything like the last Roy Williams assistant to take a head job I think we should pass. Neil Dougherty came to TCU and we are bad. Not just bad, getting beat by Tarelton State bad.

okienole3
4/10/2006, 10:47 AM

You are also TCU.

Old Sooner
4/10/2006, 10:48 AM
JK I beleive most assistant Football coaches have more experience than assistant bb coaches. The FB assistants are almost always Offensive or Defensive Coordinators. These guys actually are incharge of their units and call the plays. I don't see the same thing out of an assistant bb coach.