PDA

View Full Version : Peterson really is great

TJKDone
4/9/2006, 09:30 PM
That young man is the only guy I've seen for OU that really feels like one who got away. He's the best tailback I've seen when he's healthy since Earl Campbell. He will tear everyone up this season if he doesn't do it to himself first.

Vince being gone is already being dreaded by this UT fan.

We're still gonna wipe the cotton bowl with your hind ends.

Hook'em

Octavian
4/9/2006, 09:35 PM
:twinkies:

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 09:38 PM
We're still gonna stick various objects into our hind ends.

Fixed that for you. :twinkies:

Czar Soonerov
4/9/2006, 09:56 PM
Mmmm, :twinkies:

olevetonahill
4/9/2006, 10:12 PM
That young man is the only guy I've seen for OU that really feels like one who got away. He's the best tailback I've seen when he's healthy since Earl Campbell. He will tear everyone up this season if he doesn't do it to himself first.

Hook'em
He didnt "get away " as In yall losing him . He "got away " as in going to a top program so stfu :texan: Oh and Hook 'em :twinkies:

dolemitesooner
4/9/2006, 10:12 PM

Hook'em
have you had realtions with your mother?

olevetonahill
4/9/2006, 10:13 PM
have you had realtions with your mother?
:cool: :D The REAL Doleo is back ! ;)

shavedmarmoset
4/9/2006, 11:14 PM
That young man is the only guy I've seen for OU that really feels like one who got away.

Really? Does Quentin Griffin ring a bell? I believe he had some success against Texas (In the form of 6 TD's in 2000 and 248 yards in 2002).

Desert Sapper
4/10/2006, 07:02 AM
How about Derrick Strait? We stole him out of Austin, for crying out loud. A national championship, an almost national championship, and a Thorpe Award later...he's starting for the NY Jets.

link (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493078)

TJKDone
4/10/2006, 07:49 AM
too bad that tommie harris kid wasn't sought after, or anything.

come to think of it, we've NEVER had any luck with texas players choosing OU over TU.

Dip****.

Harris was certainly recruited, but not Knowing he would be as good as he has become. We had others in the same time frame that were as good or better in S. Rogers, Casey Hampton, Corey Redding etc...

The point is that we knew that AP was going to be as good as he is and didn't get him. That is a rarity even going up against OU.

Bomar will be really good, again I just don't think his presence would have made us noteably better vs other guys. I just don't see him as the same caliber of player at his position as AP is at his.

Hook'em

tbl
4/10/2006, 08:37 AM
Poor Nick. You guys are so mean to him...

MiccoMacey
4/10/2006, 08:56 AM
He may not have seen them, but he is accurate.

Bomar and Gundy didn't tear up the world. Jamelle did.

I'm hoping Bomar will be a great one, but 9th in the Big Twelve in ypg passing doesn't rate as anything other than average.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 09:27 AM
Jamelle and Cale were true frosh. Bomar redshirt. Just in case some of you knuckleheads did not know. :twinkies:

TJKDone
4/10/2006, 09:29 AM
Really? Does Quentin Griffin ring a bell? I believe he had some success against Texas (In the form of 6 TD's in 2000 and 248 yards in 2002).

Not that he wasn't a great player, but we weren't after him and there will be a hundred like him compared to Peterson IMO.

Strait is the same way. He was a great one, but never felt like he got away.

Peterson is just a monster. Too bad Bomar isn't in the same league. He'll be good...just not a AP.

Hook'em

yermom
4/10/2006, 09:58 AM
yeah, they were after Peterson, it should kinda be embarrassing

as opposed to Q and DS who they didn't even want but went to OU and embarrassed them for 3-4 years :D

OKC-SLC
4/10/2006, 10:01 AM
too bad that tommie harris kid wasn't sought after, or anything.

come to think of it, we've NEVER had any luck with texas players choosing OU over TU.

Dip****.

XingTheRubicon
4/10/2006, 10:12 AM
Not that he wasn't a great player, but we weren't after him and there will be a hundred like him compared to Peterson IMO.

Strait is the same way. He was a great one, but never felt like he got away.

Peterson is just a monster. Too bad Bomar isn't in the same league. He'll be good...just not a AP.

Hook'em

Name me a QB that was impressive as a freshman...btw your boy vince looked like one of those monkeys throwing **** at the zoo his freshman year. My apologies to all monkeys out there.

and last, your head coach was licking Bomar's knees from the second he eligible to be licked...

Bomar may be a stud/championship QB,
Bomar may never win anything...

one thing is for sure, whorn
you sure as **** don't know

Octavian
4/10/2006, 10:25 AM
Name me a QB that was impressive as a freshman...

exactly one has won a national championship

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4850/jh9pa.png (http://imageshack.us)

NickZeppelin
4/10/2006, 10:40 AM
I can only think of 3 Sooners that have started as Freshmen. Gundy, Jamelle and Bomar. I would say both Bomar and Gundy were average as freshmen. Jamelle probably had one of the better seasons you'll see anyone have. Not just a freshman.

okienole3
4/10/2006, 10:45 AM
I can only think of 3 Sooners that have started as Freshmen. Gundy, Jamelle and Bomar. I would say both Bomar and Gundy were average as freshmen. Jamelle probably had one of the better seasons you'll see anyone have. Not just a freshman.

Were you even born yet in 85?

picasso
4/10/2006, 10:47 AM
really, how would you know? did you actually see Jamelle or Gundy play? I doubt it seriously.

TJK, how about Kelly or Iglesias? those 2 were great as true freshmen and are only going to get better and better.
you didn't even mention our devensive linemen.

but yeah, it's scary to think that you probably could have won 2 in a row now if you'd have gotten Peterson. heh.

Old Sooner
4/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Charles Thompson was on his way to be a great freshman QB until he got busted for cocaine.

TheGodfather889
4/10/2006, 05:18 PM
Adrian Peterson is special. The type of talent that comes around once every 25 years. I'm glad I heard a Texas fan say that since I've heard others that say Peterson is trash and Jamal Charles is 20X better than Adrian. Just nonsense like that.

Octavian
4/10/2006, 05:33 PM
Charles Thompson was on his way to be a great freshman QB until he got busted for cocaine.

Hanta Yo wasnt a frosh when he got nabbed.

KC//CRIMSON
4/10/2006, 07:11 PM
Mmmm, fried :twinkies:

footballfanatic
4/10/2006, 08:59 PM
OU has had good college QB's. Curious from OU fans why OU hasn't had any QB success in the NFL, and when was the last OU grad who started for an NFL team.

BASSooner
4/10/2006, 09:00 PM
Who in here actually cares? Not me.

Big Red Ron
4/10/2006, 09:07 PM
OU has had good college QB's. Curious from OU fans why OU hasn't had any QB success in the NFL, and when was the last OU grad who started for an NFL team.You obviously threw that Grad thing out there to try and eliminate Troy Aikman (who has an OU National Championship ring on his finger) but to answer your question we ran an option offense for so long and had :eek: black QB's. There weren't many option QB's in the nfl, much less black QB's.

We have had some damn fine CFL QB's(Other than Troy).

sooneron
4/10/2006, 09:16 PM
OU has had good college QB's. Curious from OU fans why OU hasn't had any QB success in the NFL, and when was the last OU grad who started for an NFL team.
You say that as if you actually believe that radio will start a game as qb.

We've only been running a pro-style offense for the duration of 3 qbs thus far that have graduated. What's your excuse?

Octavian
4/10/2006, 09:19 PM
We've only been running a pro-style offense for the duration of 3 qbs thus far that have graduated.

good point....and they've been:

one Heisman runner-up/national champion

one Rose Bowl MVP

one Heisman winner

What's your excuse?

even better question.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 09:19 PM
Harris was certainly recruited, but not Knowing he would be as good as he has become. We had others in the same time frame that were as good or better in S. Rogers, Casey Hampton, Corey Redding etc...

The point is that we knew that AP was going to be as good as he is and didn't get him. That is a rarity even going up against OU.

Bomar will be really good, again I just don't think his presence would have made us noteably better vs other guys. I just don't see him as the same caliber of player at his position as AP is at his.

Hook'em

Wait a minute. Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton were NFL rookies in 2001. Tommie Harris was a rookie in 2004, entering a year early. which means Rogers and Hampton had both left for the NFL before TH ever played a down of college ball. Hardly the "same time frame" in the college game. And you CERTAINLY weren't recruiting Rogers or Hampton while TH was available. Sounds like you're in denial.

footballfanatic
4/10/2006, 09:26 PM
Young certainly isn't in the mold of traditional pro QB's. There really aren't that many good pro qb's, period. Most are pretty mediocre, or maybe they are just the victims of poor coaching. Even Aikman might have been bad if he had ended up on a lame team. I was actually thinking of Simms. Now that Griese is gone (who hasn't been terribly good himself,) Simms looks like the starter, at least for now. He might turn out to be okay, or drift back into mediocrity, as so many qb's seem to do.

Why did Aikman transfer? Was it over a lack of playing time, or did he think he would have more success in a pro-style offense? And I would be curious how far back you have to go to find an NFL starter from OU. Before Simms, I'm not sure how far you have to go for a UT QB starting, but I think it's pretty far. I can't think of one.

footballfanatic
4/10/2006, 09:30 PM
Also, just thought you might want to know what some Ohio State fans are saying in preparation for our big game next Fall. Not only do they say the Big 12 sucks, they are even insulting our stadiums, for heaven's sake. They are saying our stadiums are second-class and wouldn't even crack the top six Big 10 stadiums for size, history and ambience.

Octavian
4/10/2006, 09:31 PM
Why did Aikman transfer? Was it over a lack of playing time, or did he think he would have more success in a pro-style offense?

you gotta be younger than Nick...

OKC-SLC
4/10/2006, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you're in denial.
And a ****ing dip****.

footballfanatic
4/10/2006, 09:37 PM
you gotta be younger than Nick...

Nope. I lived in NYC and I didn't get access to college football coverage. Everything was pro football.

NickZeppelin
4/10/2006, 09:43 PM
Why did Aikman transfer? Was it over a lack of playing time, or did he think he would have more success in a pro-style offense? And I would be curious how far back you have to go to find an NFL starter from OU. Before Simms, I'm not sure how far you have to go for a UT QB starting, but I think it's pretty far. I can't think of one.

I doubt Aikman at that age thought about the pros as a QB if he went to OU. Although OU was going toward more of a pass offense added into the option offense they ran. And Aikman was a better runner then you would think of him as being. Even in the NFL he was a decent runner that could scramble for a first down if he needed to. But he left because a freshman QB took over and took the team to new heights and took over the team. Did the move to UCLA help him be the hall of famer he ended up being in Dallas? Of course it did. But the offense we were running at OU fit him more then it fit Hollieway really. But when Hollieway was forced to play we went back to the Bone completely and ran the ball 90% of the time.

Octavian
4/10/2006, 09:47 PM
I lived in NYC and I didn't get access...

well it wasn't in 1785...surely you could get a newsie in New York

Aikman left b/c he boke his leg and a frosh named Holieway took us to an NC...

footballfanatic
4/10/2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Was Holieway drafted? He was a great athlete. Yes, it wasn't 1785, but coverage was limited, and still is. Check out the NY Post online and see for yourself. The Times usually has one big summary article on Monday, and the big games covered are almost always East Coast affairs (Penn St, Miami, ND, Harvard, etc) Either that, or I am just getting senile, which is a distinct possibility.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/11/2006, 09:58 AM
Jamelle was an option QB. When Troy broke his leg, Jamelle ran the option to perfection. Troy was not going to sit and watch Jamelle run the option. He transferred.

Obviously, option qb's aren't a big deal in the nfl. The most recent option qb that was drafted was probably Eric Crouch. He was drafted as a receiver. We haven't been running a passing offense for very long. Our list of Passing qbs looks something like this:
Gundy (not nfl quality)
Fuente (not college quality)
Heupel (poor ball velocity)
Hybl (still hanging around the minor leagues)
White (bad wheels)
Bomar (TBD)

There are some odd names peppered in between there, but usually passing wasn't their forte. That's kind of a big deal in the NFL. Their college success made little difference (See Major Applewhite). Look at a school like tOSU. They have had years when they couldn't do ****, but the NFL still drafts a crapload of players from their, because of the type of system they have.

Speaking of the Big 10, they DO have some pretty amazing stadiums up here. (Their architecture teams win NCs every year) The horseshoe is amazing and should be located in Norman. The big house is a big piece of crap, but it's big. Purdue has a neat stadium, but ut and OU have nice facilities (took us long enough). NU is nice. aTm is noisy. What else do you want?

As great as their stadiums are, they don't have a lock on tradition. The Big 8, Big 12, and even the little swc have pleanty of tradition and all around football prowess. The Big 10 (11) ain't all that. Archie Griffin still owes Little Joe Washington one of those heismans.

Duke o Brewery
4/11/2006, 06:29 PM
Harris was certainly recruited, but not Knowing he would be as good as he has become. We had others in the same time frame that were as good or better in S. Rogers, Casey Hampton, Corey Redding.

AS GOOD OR BETTER?! Not out of those names! Not by a long shot.

jacru
4/12/2006, 12:16 AM
...btw your boy vince looked like one of those monkeys throwing **** at the zoo his freshman year. My apologies to all monkeys out there.
:D

Jason White's Third Knee
4/12/2006, 12:19 AM
AS GOOD OR BETTER?! Not out of those names! Not by a long shot.

...and who didn't know that Harris was going to be a monster??? He had so much hype coming in and he totally lived up to it. ut was dying to get their hands on Harris.

Desert Sapper
4/12/2006, 12:39 AM
Also, just thought you might want to know what some Ohio State fans are saying in preparation for our big game next Fall. Not only do they say the Big 12 sucks, they are even insulting our stadiums, for heaven's sake. They are saying our stadiums are second-class and wouldn't even crack the top six Big 10 stadiums for size, history and ambiance.

I agree that they have a great stadium. The Horseshoe is one of the best stadiums in the country. I don't, however, agree with their assessment by conference. The big house and beaver stadium are big, but they suck as stadiums, unless you like that old crappy bowl seating feeling. At least Beaver stadium has an upper deck. And the other stadiums? What other stadiums? The Big (11) is really the big three and the little 8, especially as far as fan support and national attention goes.

Our stadiums aren't as big, but that is about the only way we don't exceed those Big X relics. I think as a minimum OU, saxet, Nebraska, and CU should have 100,000 seat stadiums. At least then non-season ticket holders like me could get seats when we come in for the weekend without having to buy from scalpers.

Of course, there is just something to be said about our stadium (82,112). We have that classy Notre Dame (80,795) feel, and our stadiums opened round about the same time. OUr campus is beautiful and doesn't have that cheap strip mall feel to it (Michigan?). The game day atmosphere is unequalled anywhere except maybe ND and Bama. I think it's cute that they are trying to say we don't have any history within the Big XII conference. Especially when compared to the Big 10 (11). I'm comfortable with where we stand as far as ambiance and history. I'm proud to be a part of the 80,000+ club and not the overly ostentatious, better than everybody, 100,000+ club. Tell the suckeyes to shove it where the sun don't shine. Hook 'em

soonerbub
4/12/2006, 01:44 AM
best tailback I've seen when he's healthy since Earl Campbell

RADIO being gone is already being dreaded by this UT fan.

We're still gonna wipe the cotton bowl with :mack: tears

Hook 'em

You do know that the pearl was mainly a fullback at the school of Satan don't you?

(even though I don't mind helping support the guy when I grill)

Jason White's Third Knee
4/12/2006, 01:58 AM
Now, I hate to say it, but I'll give it up to the Big 10 when it comes to tailgating. It a friggin sea of tents and rv's that OU just doesn't have. Maybe it's because OU is all spread out.

Here in little ol' Champaign, the tailgating is incredible. It has to be or else no one would show up. Not many people go in when the game starts.

Desert Sapper
4/12/2006, 04:08 AM
I personally think the SEC folks have everybody beat as far as tailgating. It doesn't hurt that it's warm in the south through October, so the ladies are still runnin' round in short shorts and skirts during football season. Can't say they can get away with that up North.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/12/2006, 09:52 AM
Now, I hate to say it, but I'll give it up to the Big 10 when it comes to tailgating. It a friggin sea of tents and rv's that OU just doesn't have. Maybe it's because OU is all spread out.

Here in little ol' Champaign, the tailgating is incredible. It has to be or else no one would show up. Not many people go in when the game starts.

The tailgating does slow does when the cold hits, but until then, it is awesome. Without fail, someone shoots something and grills it for everyone to try. Lot's of folks bring PA systems and spin records. Good stuff like that, but it's the arrangement that makes it cool to me. It's an endless sea of tailgaters. Not just a few cars then a party. It's every friggin' space in a parking lot. I love that ****. I can't blame them for the weather.

Now if we could only get our hands on some Earl Cambell hot links, we'd be in business. Most people think that we could get along with Johnsonville Bratwurst. What a sham. Everyone knows that Old Wisconsin Brats are the best.