PDA

View Full Version : My vacuum cleaner sucks in a bad way

MamaMia
4/9/2006, 07:30 PM
I need a new vacuum. I had Sears Kenmores and according to Consumer Reports, they were suppose to be the best at the time. That was only 16 months ago. I bought two. One was for the clinic and one for the house. Now neither one of them work. They both bite the dust, so to speak.

Who makes the best vac these days?

oumartin
4/9/2006, 07:31 PM
get a rhumba! or however you spell it.

MamaMia
4/9/2006, 07:37 PM
get a rhumba! or however you spell it.
Isnt the roomba one of those vacs that roam around cleaning the carpets? If so, that wont work for me since I have two grandbabies crawling on the floor, and one almost to that stage. Plus...I think my Shih Tzu would kill it. :D

oumartin
4/9/2006, 07:41 PM
yeah, thats what i was talking about.

I don't have any advice. I think all vacuums work to some extent and I think they all polute to some extent. we can vacuum our floor and then clean the hepa filter. then 10 minutes later vacuum again and get the same amount of dust on the filter.

Vaevictis
4/9/2006, 08:00 PM
I bought a Dyson Animal. It. is. awesome. I've had it for about 6 months. I have a collie (long-haired dog) and a himilayan (long-haired cat); the Roomba couldn't cut it. It completely died in 12 months.

The Dyson is very powerful, no filters to change, no bag to change, but the very best thing about it is the attachments system. The basic attachments fit onto the frame so they're always handy, and you pull out the extended hose by pressing a button on the handle -- it's part of the handle -- and extending it from the handle. Good stuff.

FWIW, if you can afford to drop the money on a Dyson (~$500ish), consider buying it (or any other expensive item) from Hammacher-Schlemmer. I bought the Roomba from them; it died slightly out of warranty. Hammacher-Schlemmer has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee on all products, so all you have to do is not *like* how the product performs, at any time, and you can return it. You pay a bit more for this, but I did return a nearly $300 Roomba to them out of warranty, with no questions asked.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2006, 08:50 PM
We've got a Hoover Fusion, which is a knock off of the Dyson. Not quite as nice, but less than half the price.

I'm pretty happy with it so far.

StoopTroup
4/9/2006, 08:55 PM
http://www.hoover.com/FusionGame/

Okla-homey
4/9/2006, 09:02 PM
We got an Oreck. Very light, dependable and powerful. Works for us.

BeetDigger
4/9/2006, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure what are good vacuums. I hear the Oreck's bad mouthed by some. I think that they work pretty well however. I don't have one but borrowed one. Haven't heard anything negative about the Dyson. But I am sure that you will hear good and bad if you look.

One piece of advice however, don't trust Consumer Reports. The best vac should last longer than 16 months.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2006, 09:36 PM
16 year old nieces on Myspace give the best reviews on stuff like this.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 09:39 PM
z-700 by hoover. the new sport utility vacuum

http://images.housekeepingchannel.com/5407hvr_z700-up-lft-2_lo.jpg

OUAndy1807
4/9/2006, 09:54 PM
we don't have an animal, just the normal dc-14, but our Dyson is awesome. I vacuumed the house with our old vacuum right before used the Dyson for the first time. It was disgusting the stuff that our other vacuum (which was a nice vac, still in good working condition) didn't pick up that the Dyson did.

They're pricy but awesome.

BajaOklahoma
4/9/2006, 10:07 PM
We have a Hoover Windtunnel, but we rarely use it.
We use the built-in vacuum. I love it. The trick is to buy a unit that is recommended for a house twice the actual size of your house. And we have three large, hairy dogs.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2006, 10:08 PM
And we have three large, hairy dogs.
Did you train them to use the vac?

BajaOklahoma
4/9/2006, 10:14 PM
Did you train them to use the vac?

I wish. But the in-house vac works fine on all that blonde, white, black and gray hair - some vacuums can't handle it. We have to clean off the roller on the regular vac everytime we use it. it would be worse if I didn't brush them often.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2006, 10:19 PM
One thing I like about our Fusion is that it doesn't have a filtler (similar to Dyson) and I can totally clean it out after each use. I just do that because I like to see how much I pick up with each round.

BeetDigger
4/9/2006, 10:36 PM
One thing I like about our Fusion is that it doesn't have a filtler (similar to Dyson) and I can totally clean it out after each use. I just do that because I like to see how much I pick up with each round.

Boy, the things that one will do to amuse themselves. You really have to get that wife some spanish fly or something. :texan:

proud gonzo
4/9/2006, 10:56 PM
goddamn roomba people stole my idea. i should sue them.

JohnnyMack
4/9/2006, 11:01 PM

:les:Johnnie Cochran!!!

Vaevictis
4/9/2006, 11:06 PM

You and million other people since the 1950's.

proud gonzo
4/9/2006, 11:07 PM
yeah, i know, but I had proof. Years ago for a science class I entered that idea in Toshiba's ExploraVision contest.

olevetonahill
4/9/2006, 11:19 PM
Take anyold Vacuum plug that sucker into 220 ! itll pull the carpet Off the floor . ONE time :eek:

Vaevictis
4/9/2006, 11:33 PM
yeah, i know, but I had proof. Years ago for a science class I entered that idea in Toshiba's ExploraVision contest.

shrug, go looking through the "vision of the future" mags printed since the 1950's, I'm certain you'll see robotic vacuum cleaners. Over. And Over. And Over. :p

MamaMia
4/9/2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas but I cant afford a Dyson at $500.00 dollars. I want one that is air friendly too. I have allergies. I like the idea of an easy disposable heppa type bag. I dont like cleaning canisters. :)

AlbqSooner
4/10/2006, 07:07 AM
The price is worth it. Take your best vacuum and clean your carpets fully. Then run over them with a Dyson and see what you have left in the carpet. It is really amazing how much the Dyson will pick up.
Allergies are not only tweaked by the airborne crap generated while vacuuming. The stuff you leave in the carpet exacerbates them as well. Although I was hesitant to spend the bucks for the Dyson, I think I will make up the difference in Kleenex in a matter of months.

Flagstaffsooner
4/10/2006, 07:18 AM
Get a whorn, they never quit sucking.

MamaMia
4/10/2006, 08:28 AM
In a year or two, we are going to remodel and I will only have wood and tile floors, however I do know we will have rugs. I just dont think spending that much money will go over very well with my husband at this time, but I'll mention it at dinner this evening. :)

You see, I just got the go ahead from my husband to send this 10 year old kid to the OU football camp. Hes a teammate and the best friend of one of my friends grandson. His mother is a struggling minority single mom, with very little education. She works 2 jobs and she gets no child support. It broke my heart that he wasnt able to go to camp with Jaelin last year.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/10/2006, 09:12 AM
DYSON!!!

Best vacuum ever. You will not be sorry!

Vaevictis
4/10/2006, 10:35 AM
Well, if you're not going to have any carpet, the ROI equation for the Dyson gets fuzzier. You probably don't need something that strong for an area rug.

(For me, it came down to the fact that I killed cheap vacuum cleaners in less than 6 months, and mid-range ones ($100-$150ish) in less than a year -- I expect that the Dyson will last me long enough to cost less over time.)

MamaMia
4/10/2006, 10:57 AM
I'm leaning toward an Oreck. Isnt this thread about as dull as it can get? :O

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 09:28 AM
I bet you will wish you had a Dyson later on...

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 09:44 AM
I can't believe nobody has made a SoonerWill joke yet. You guys are slipping.

TopDaugIn2000
4/11/2006, 09:49 AM
whatever happened to those HUGE Kirby ones, that were red (or green) and weighed like 95 pounds but could clean shag carpet like no other. THOSE were vacuums. Think my stepmom still uses hers!!!!

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:51 AM
whatever happened to those HUGE Kirby ones, that were red (or green) and weighed like 95 pounds but could clean shag carpet like no other. THOSE were vacuums. Think my stepmom still uses hers!!!!
Still some of the best made. They got transmissions and carpet cleaning attachments now.

'spensive stuff.