PDA

View Full Version : Calapari to NC State in next 24 hrs & ??s about OU private planes

Sooner Among The Pack
4/9/2006, 01:29 PM
Some very smart NC State fans helped solidify some rumors about the Wolfpack snagging John Calapari and finally add some truth to all the crap "flying" around about it.

Using the website "flightaware.com", which tracks the movement of private planes, we discovered that our biggest fat cat donor, Wendell Murphy, flew on his private plane from Raleigh to Memphis, and is returning this afternoon. This is a very strong indication that NC State has a deal on the table and is close to getting Johnny C in Raleigh. :) :) :) :)

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N88MF

Which begs the question...does anyone know information about Joe C's plane or any donors? Would be interesting to look around this free website and see if we can find any Sooner travel to places like Wichita, Philadelphia, or Lexington.

sooner518
4/9/2006, 02:20 PM
Calipari would have to be nuts to go to NC State. But that flight website is cool.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 02:52 PM
he might have just had a hankerin' for some BBQ. ;)

I agree, that website is cool.

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 02:57 PM
he might have just had a hankerin' for some BBQ. ;)

I agree, that website is cool.

If he wanted BBQ, he could go down the street to the Rendezvous. No need to go to NC.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 03:00 PM
If he wanted BBQ, he could go down the street to the Rendezvous. No need to go to NC.

hello mcfly, the fellah went to Memphis from NC. :twinkies: :D

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 03:12 PM
hello mcfly, the fellah went to Memphis from NC. :twinkies: :D

Um, I'm pretty sure he works in Memphis and the other job is in NC.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 03:30 PM
Trombone, please read the orginal post.

fat cat donor, Wendell Murphy, flew on his private plane from Raleigh to Memphis

I was referring to Mr. Murphy having a hankerin' for BBQ.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/9/2006, 07:22 PM
FWIW, I totally hate NC vinegar based BBQ. Ugh. If it ain't sweet, I don't want it. In fact, hitting some of the little BBQ places in Oklahoma and Texas while storm chasing is as important a part of my vacation as the storms themselves! ;)

Apparently it wasn't just donors on the plane, but our Athletic Director Lee Fowler and Chancellor James Oblinger was on the plane too. WRAL, Raleigh's CBS station, got video of them coming off the plane. w00t! This wouldn't have gone this far if the deal wasn't almost done and Calipari was going to turn us down. It looks like the Wolfpack will end up getting candidate 1b in the coaching search. Here's a tremendous picture posted on a Memphis board showing the flight! :)

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jdcollie/tww/calplane.gif

Now, the Sooners need to jump on it. Anybody at all have a clue about Sooner private plane usage?

oumartin
4/9/2006, 07:24 PM
Look, Joe C. is about on my last nerve with this coaching search thing..

If he doesn't land a top guy I say we run his butt off next...

I'd say let Stoops be the new A.D. but we know how that would work. it would be someone from Youngstown Ohio or someone he went to school with or Dana Altman

Sooner Among The Pack
4/9/2006, 07:34 PM
Look, Joe C. is about on my last nerve with this coaching search thing.. If he doesn't land a top guy I say we run his butt off next...

Other than Jay Wright, if State gets the Coach Cal deal done, how many other big names are REALLY out there? I find the Tubby Smith talk to be more wishy than anything. Can we really call John Brady from LSU a big name? After Brady, you hear Turgereon, but that's certainly not a big name coach and seems to draw luke warm feelings at best.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 07:35 PM
what happened to all the hobbs talk?

I don't want brady and no way tubby comes

OKC-SLC
4/9/2006, 07:48 PM
I'm just hoping he has some secret Stoops-like candidate he's working on.

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 07:53 PM
Trombone, please read the orginal post.

I was referring to Mr. Murphy having a hankerin' for BBQ.

Ah, thought you meant Calipari did. Makes sense now.

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 08:09 PM
Prepare for meltdown if NC State announces Calipari as new HC before Joe C.'s announcement.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 08:16 PM
theres gonna be a meltdown anyway

Sooner Among The Pack
4/9/2006, 08:17 PM
Personally, I have a hard time believing that our AD, Chancellor, and biggest donor would fly to Memphis and allow it to go "somewhat" public if the deal wasn't almost completely done AND Calipari had not already said "yes" behind closed doors.

If State gets turned down, it'll be a HUGE embarassment for our program and I'll be seeking out more than one AD besides [Joe C.] to destroy [/Joe C.].

william_brasky
4/9/2006, 08:19 PM
theres gonna be a meltdown anyway
you're probably right.

I might just declare myself AD and announce a new coach tomorrow.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 08:27 AM
Oh the suspense is killing me. NC State's offer is actually $2 mil/yr reported by media in Memphis, and the Tiger counter-offer is between $1.4-1.7 mil/yr. Memphis boards, and a reliable poster/source, have broken that a team meeting has been called for this afternoon. Mempho's say that he's telling him he "loves Tiger Nation" and is staying.

How many team meetings are called to tell your team that your staying?!?!?!

Why is Joe. C not out there hot on the recruiting trail like the State camp?!?!

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 08:31 AM
double post what a bust, sry.

mdklatt
4/10/2006, 09:32 AM
Which begs the question...does anyone know information about Joe C's plane or any donors? Would be interesting to look around this free website and see if we can find any Sooner travel to places like Wichita, Philadelphia, or Lexington.

http://www.aviation.ou.edu/faculty-staff_transport.html

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nameSQL.asp?nametxt=University+of+Oklahoma&sort_option=5&cmndfind.x=18&cmndfind.y=13

The King Air would be the most likely plane for flying in coaching candidates, but it's not listed in this database.

oumartin
4/10/2006, 09:48 AM
O-V-E-R-A-T-E-D!

I won't say who

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.aviation.ou.edu/faculty-staff_transport.html

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nameSQL.asp?nametxt=University+of+Oklahoma&sort_option=5&cmndfind.x=18&cmndfind.y=13

The King Air would be the most likely plane for flying in coaching candidates, but it's not listed in this database.

Thanks for the links. I'll remember the name "King Air" Honestly, I kind of saved the KOUN flight page from the FlightAware.com site and have been checking it for new scheduled departures. I feel like such a stalker! :)
:texan:

Newbomb Turk
4/10/2006, 10:06 AM
Look, Joe C. is about on my last nerve with this coaching search thing..

If he doesn't land a top guy I say we run his butt off next...

You've already runt Chuck Long and Kelvin off. Now you want to run Joe off. ;)

oumartin
4/10/2006, 10:08 AM
All I gotta do is make one phone call and its done Newbomb!

You know it.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:11 AM
triple post i hate linux

TheHumanAlphabet
4/10/2006, 10:14 AM
Barnes has supposedly agreed to 1.8 Million at saxet next year...

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:17 AM
ESPN.com's Andy Katz is reporting at 3:55pm that John Calipari and his staff will be flying to Raleigh to "check out the facilities" and meet again with the State entourage. GREAT NEWS FOR THE WOLFPACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2403784

This comes less than 10 minutes after a scheduled meeting between Calipari and the Memphis AD/Boosters in Memphis, TN.

PrideTrombone
4/10/2006, 10:20 AM
Playing the waiting game in Raleigh. Apparently, we offered Calipari $1.7 mil/yr + incentives, almost the same exact package we reportedly offered Rick Barnes. Calipari said he was "overwhelmed" by the size of the offer and said there was no way Memphis could match the offer. If we don't get an announcement by this afternoon, I'm gonna start worrying. Here's the link:

http://html.wral.com/sh/blogger/2006/04/ncsu-offer-overwhelms-calipari.html

The other part that worries me is I don't believe NC State wanted this to go public. Finding the airplane on the interent led to local camera crews going to the airport and taking video of the entourage coming off the plane. If Calipari turns us down, this will SERIOUSLY KILL the NC State coaching search.

Some Sooner fans might not mind that....

So, either we can't come up with 1.7 mil for a new basketball coach (which shouldn't be too hard considering the job Joe C has done with getting the cash flow going), or one of these things is the case:

1) The LNC complex isn't nearly as attractive as some people think it is.
2) The NCAA is going to hit us a little harder than we think.
3) Big name coaches don't want to play second fiddle to Bob Stoops and the football program. (Worked OK for Billy Donovan).

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:36 AM
Barnes has supposedly agreed to 1.8 Million at saxet next year...

I think there may be some extra incentives in that offer...not for sure though.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/10/2006, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't be surprised, this was blurbed during the sports on the news talk station this morning in Houston.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:53 AM
Barnes defintley used the NC State push as leverage for a new contract AND a raise for all his assistants...and part of me is starting to worry if Calipari is doing the same thing. On paper, Memphis can't match the money, but the Fed Ex owner down the street can probably snap his fingers and match anything we throw at him, IF he wants to.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 06:22 PM
Calipari and his staff are now coming to Raleigh either "tonight" or in the morning to "check out the facilities", and a rumor of team meetings this evening in Memphis. If this is so, I bet Cal. inks the deal and we get the press conference tomorrow.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 10:13 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N27XP

Calipari's plane trip to Raleigh. They were "supposed" to land in Chapel Hill, NC to avoid media attention, but from the flight path, it clearly landed in Raleigh-Durham. Now flying back out of Raleigh-Durham and are landing at Olive-Branch MS on the SE side of Memphis to avoid media attention.

The lights were on at the RBC Center tonight, and this flight time schedule coincides with Andy Katz reports on ESPN.com.

We can only hope he is going back to tell Memphis he's leaving for Raleigh! :) :) :) :)

soonersin07
4/10/2006, 10:54 PM
You're either the master of information or the master of b.s. i choose to believe the former.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 11:43 PM
When Calipari announces he's coming to NC State tomorrow, I'll gladly garnish your spek with some more negative.

Jeff Capel...err...not too good guys.