PDA

View Full Version : Saints trying to move Jammal Brown to the LT

Ruuuuuufus
4/9/2006, 11:59 AM
If it doesn't work out they're going to take a serious look at D'Brickashaw Ferguson with that #2 pick. A Ferguson-Brown tackle duo would be a good foundation for the future. If it does work I guess the 'aints would try and trade down?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/APS/604071118

Brown switching to left side

By BRETT MARTEL
AP Sports Writer
NEW ORLEANS
Jammal Brown often spoke of feeling like he didn't have a real rookie season last year because of the distractions and displacement caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Even he didn't realize how right he was until the first minicamp of 2006 opened Friday and he was moved over to left tackle by new coach Sean Payton.

Brown played on the right side last season, which tends to be where the weaker or less experienced of the two starting tackles plays because most quarterbacks are right-handed.

New Saints quarterback Drew Brees also is a righty, meaning the Saints will need their best tackle on the left side to fend off the blind-side rush.

"Like coach Payton says, it's kind of like a promotion, so that's how I look at it," Brown said. "They moved me over there for a reason. Hopefully that's where I stay. It's still a long time before the preseason starts."

The day before minicamp opened, the Saints traded away their previous starting left tackle, Wayne Gandy, to Atlanta.

Brown, who is 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds, was the Saints top draft pick out of Oklahoma in 2005. He was made a starter immediately and got good reviews from coaches around the league.

Payton, a former Dallas assistant who has been studying film of Saints performances from last season since arriving in New Orleans, decided Brown was good enough to make the switch.

"We thought about it a long time. We felt like it was in our best interest, so we did it," Payton said. "It's permanent, and I know there'll be a lot speculated about the draft."

The Saints have the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. They need help at linebacker and on the offensive line in particular, but Payton and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis have declined to show their hand about the draft so far.

The only clue is Payton's decision to skip quarterback Matt Leinart's workout at Southern Cal after initially saying he intended to go. The Saints are not expected to pick a quarterback anyway, however, with the recent acquisition of Brees through free agency.

The reshuffling of the Saints' line will bring more focus on Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

"He's rated as the top offensive tackle prospect in our draft," Payton said. "He has tremendous athleticism and he's a sharp kid. He's got bright future. Certainly he's a good player."

For now, Jon Stinchcomb is taking first-team snaps at right tackle. A second round pick out of Georgia four years ago, Stinchcomb was expected to compete for playing time last season but a knee injury sidelined him for all of 2005.

GottaHavePride
4/9/2006, 11:38 PM
Why not take Ferguson with the #2 anyway?

MiccoMacey
4/10/2006, 09:08 AM
Brown, who is 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds, was the Saints top draft pick out of Oklahoma in 2005. He was made a starter immediately and got good reviews from coaches around the league.

Da.

Man.

JohnnyMack
4/10/2006, 09:29 AM
Why not take Ferguson with the #2 anyway?

Because they can trade down to the Titans or Jets (both teams draft right behind the Aint's) and get a 2nd round pick from one of those teams. Tennessee and the Jets want Leinart, the Aint's can get a free pick and their guy, so why not? Kinda like what happened when TRRW got picked up by the Cowboys.