PDA

View Full Version : WILD video of Boeing crosswind landing tests

CShine
4/9/2006, 03:54 AM
I swear to God, on the 3rd and 4th landings, I thought they would crash and burn. These pilots are crazy good. I've watched this video something like two dozen times, and believe me, by the time you see the 4th plane coming down out of the sky, you'll be ready to crap yer pants.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PzwoCADjd9Y&search=crosswind%20landing

OUTromBoNado
4/9/2006, 04:08 AM
Holay carp! That's some amazing flying skillz.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
4/9/2006, 04:53 AM
Wo mo fo, kick that rudder babe.

LoyalFan
4/9/2006, 06:39 AM
Uhhhh....Tower, this is Air Portu...JEEBUS!...uhhh...Portugal 345...request have cabin cleanup crew on alert, Code Red.

Air Portugal 345, do you have an emergency?

Tower...EEK!...this is 345. You might say that...OHMIGOD!

Air Portugal, nature of emergency?

Tower, request change designation to Air...AIYEEEE!...Portapotty 345...(retching sounds.)

Air Portugal 345, nice landing!

Tower, inform home office entire crew is taking early retirement. Out.

Epilogue: The aircraft, although structurally sound, was deemed unsalvageable by the Lisbon Health Inspectors and was cocooned. It was then towed to a large pit and buried.
Passengers were hosed off as they deplaned, then quarantined until they could shower and change clothing.
As a result of this tragedy, Portugal's Minister of Aviation and Silly Walks issued a ban on crosswinds and ordered their deportation. Said winds were saddened, but found a new home in Oklahoma, where they were free to come sweeping down the plains.

True, every word.

LF

Okieflyer
4/9/2006, 08:33 AM
Holay carp! That's some amazing flying skillz.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ha, ha not as much as you would think. The nice thing about planes like this is the "crabbing" of the landing gear and the auto pilot.

http://sidesalad.net/archives/AirplaneMovieOttoPilotInflatable.jpg

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2006, 08:34 AM
I was gonna ask if the landing gear on those big boys would crab with the plane. That's awesome.

Jerk
4/9/2006, 09:05 AM
Engineers are amazing people.

OUTromBoNado
4/9/2006, 07:15 PM
Even still, it takes nerves of steel to do stuff like that. It's still a great job of flying. But yeah, go engineers! An actual design that works like it's supposed to!

Cam
4/9/2006, 07:34 PM
Holy chit Batman. That's just nuts.

StoopTroup
4/9/2006, 07:41 PM
Worst case of crabs I've ever seen.

Viking Kitten
4/9/2006, 08:25 PM
Cool video, but word up on the Enigma stripper music?

Seriously, isn't avoiding that kind of thing the reason why airports have diagonal runways?

oumartin
4/9/2006, 08:27 PM
I liked the music..

StoopTroup
4/9/2006, 08:33 PM
My Wife said it should say:

"El Pilotos con cahones el grande!"

oumartin
4/9/2006, 08:35 PM
I'll not bother to even fix that one up troup.. too easy

StoopTroup
4/9/2006, 08:42 PM
Mi Espanol es picano.

KABOOKIE
4/9/2006, 09:08 PM
Cross wind landing testing is for newbie test pilots. Show me a test pilot that can do engine cuts at rotate and maintain Vy. :D

Jerk
4/9/2006, 09:18 PM
Cross wind landing testing is for newbie test pilots. Show me a test pilot that can do engine cuts at rotate and maintain Vy. :D

Bob Hoover.

http://tbirds.hp.infoseek.co.jp/hmbay03_l.JPG

(At least, I've seen him cut one engine many times the one time I saw him fly and do touch and goes)