PDA

View Full Version : I hate to bring this up...

goingoneight
4/8/2006, 11:57 PM
I really do, but on the road to the R/W scrimmage today, we heard two commentators say that :texan: looked like shat in their game and everyone in our truck said they did too. Did anyone watch it out of curiosity? I thought theirs would be like super-advertised and primetime-TV kinda @$$-kissing if it was on TV.

Only reason I'm curious is I thought in the end of the day OU looked pretty damn good considering some of their starters and recruits weren't in the mix. It would be pretty funny to hear that they really did suck. It would prove the one-man theory the so hate to hear about from us.

The Consumate Showman
4/9/2006, 12:01 AM
Well crap GDC. This thread is going to get those damn whorns posting like crazy about how good they are and how much VY leaving isn't going to hurt them.

sooner518
4/9/2006, 12:02 AM
I didnt hear that. It'd be kinda funny, but I dont think you should put too much weight on a team's spring game.

The Consumate Showman
4/9/2006, 12:05 AM
ummmmmm....NAH, we'll put all our weight in their spring game. They're gonna suck. The buckeyes and sooners will feast on BEVO this year!

goingoneight
4/9/2006, 12:28 AM
I agree that the spring game is only a foundation of future success, do you think the 2004 Red/White team would have won the BIG 12 without AD??? Maybe, but most likely not. I was just thinking... no foundation = future trouble... Look at 2005 scrimmage. OU was pitiful, and played very much like that for the first half of the season. I like Bob's chance's of rebuilding a damaged program better than Mack's.

yermom
4/9/2006, 01:05 AM
not having VY to bail them out in the 2nd half is going to be their undoing

rainiersooner
4/9/2006, 01:07 AM
Texas Sucks.

BASSooner
4/9/2006, 01:09 AM
no more vince young=no more championships(both conference and national) and also =no more beating OU:D

Ruuuuuufus
4/9/2006, 01:27 AM
everyone thinks their teams looked great in the spring game and the other teams looked awful. We're all undefeated at this point :)

shavedmarmoset
4/9/2006, 02:03 AM
Wunderlicked.

GottaHavePride
4/9/2006, 10:17 AM
Was that in response to Ruuuuuufus's avatar?

sooner13f
4/9/2006, 07:10 PM
Texas Sucks.
First I agree 100% with the above statement.

Down here in hornland everyone has been talking about their spring game...like young QB Sneed looks like the next coming, new TE will make them forget about Thomas, blah, blah, blah...while the stores are selling all the longhorn items they can so they are not stuck with it for 35 more years.

silverwheels
4/9/2006, 07:25 PM

I don't know about shavedmarmoset, but I sure as hell would wonderlick Scarlett Johansson.

jrsooner
4/9/2006, 09:27 PM
ESPN is rerunning it many times this week (or one of their sister stations are). I switched over to it, but it was at the end, and Mack was just shooting bull as usual, so I switched it to another channel.

If I remember correctly, I think he said they were going to go to a 2 quarterback system next year. :)

oumartin
4/9/2006, 09:31 PM
two qb system has worked so well for Mack in the past :D

olevetonahill
4/9/2006, 10:17 PM
:D ;)

olevetonahill
4/9/2006, 10:19 PM
ESPN is rerunning it many times this week (or one of their sister stations are). I switched over to it, but it was at the end, and Mack was just shooting bull as usual, so I switched it to another channel.

If I remember correctly, I think he said they were going to go to a 2 quarterback system next year. :)
Time and date please ? Id love to see the balless whorns :P

caphorns
4/10/2006, 07:06 AM
Basically, Sexat is going to lose at least two games this yer? tOSU and OU, right? Thanks for the update!

I think we lose 2 games this year at least . . . but not to OU. Thanks to your punter, we'll win that ugly offense fest with field position ;)

shavedmarmoset
4/10/2006, 07:40 AM
Both the Buckeyes and Sooners have questions of their own to answer. Texas has a good chance to win one or both of these games. Our D will be better than last year's.

And you'll see how good our new TE Jermichael Finley is soon enough. Mike Stoops wanted him badly if you'll remember. Our QBs will be green but they won't be asked to carry the load.

And your boys will see how beastly our defensive line is. We have four all-conference caliber DE's who can shove the ball down Snead and McCoy's throats.

caphorns
4/10/2006, 09:02 AM
The spring game garnered fairly mixed results. The defensive front 7 looks good, but we didn't get to see Kindle in the game because of a technicality that kept him off the field. I don't think our first unit secondary got much work. The running game did not look good. I find that somewhat unsurprising with Vince's legs out of the mix. Passing was good but not spectacular. It's obvious to me that Colt is going to get his shot, but Jevan will get some time. I expect one of them to win out at the job by mid-season. Most fans know that we'll have to rely on our defense to win some games this year.

homerxsimpson
4/10/2006, 09:16 AM
ESPN is rerunning it many times this week (or one of their sister stations are).

FoxSportsNet is now a sister station of ESPN?!?:eek: Well, it was only a matter of time, I guess.;)

Try looking up the FSN schedual for your local region and you might be able to catch it...then again, maybe not, FSN is pretty screwy. But I'm not sure how much you'd get from watching it. Unlike OU's game which was pretty "game-like", Texas's was very short, very plain jane and very scripted. Defenses stayed in base and Offenses kept it very simple.

The Consumate Showman
4/10/2006, 10:50 AM
The spring game garnered fairly mixed results. The defensive front 7 looks good, but we didn't get to see Kindle in the game because of a technicality that kept him off the field. I don't think our first unit secondary got much work. The running game did not look good. I find that somewhat unsurprising with Vince's legs out of the mix. Passing was good but not spectacular. It's obvious to me that Colt is going to get his shot, but Jevan will get some time. I expect one of them to win out at the job by mid-season. Most fans know that we'll have to rely on our defense to win some games this year.

Basically, Sexat is going to lose at least two games this yer? tOSU and OU, right? Thanks for the update!

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

Sooner in Tampa
4/10/2006, 10:54 AM
Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

That is all.

Herr Scholz
4/10/2006, 11:01 AM

Both the Buckeyes and Sooners have questions of their own to answer. Texas has a good chance to win one or both of these games. Our D will be better than last year's.

And you'll see how good our new TE Jermichael Finley is soon enough. Mike Stoops wanted him badly if you'll remember. Our QBs will be green but they won't be asked to carry the load.

jrsooner
4/12/2006, 10:49 PM
Time and date please ? Id love to see the balless whorns :PChannel = Fox College Sports. It's on right now listed as a "TBA".

foxcollegesports.com website has this listed for thursday on Fox College Sports Central ...
Thursday, 4/13, 6:00 - 8pm ET
Big 12 Spring Football Games
Longhorns, Aggies, Bears (delay)

jrsooner
4/12/2006, 10:50 PM
FoxSportsNet is now a sister station of ESPN?!?:eek: Well, it was only a matter of time, I guess.;) My bad....what can I say.... my one mistake for this year. :)

soonerguild
4/12/2006, 10:57 PM
Question how many games would texas have lost last the last two years without young. That is all.

BASSooner
4/12/2006, 11:35 PM

That right there is totally wrong.

shavedmarmoset
4/12/2006, 11:43 PM
I think OUr defense will eat up the whorn offensive line. We can put in four excellent DE's and the rotation will keep them all fresh. At DT we have Pendleton returning, and both of the no. 1 DT recruits of the last two years.

BASSooner
4/12/2006, 11:44 PM
OUr secondary has also solidified and our linebackers are great as always

Desert Sapper
4/13/2006, 06:52 AM
I don't see why the whorns continue to state that their D will be 'better than last year'. I think we proved in 2004 that your D does NOT get better by losing proven playmakers. In 2003, we graduated Derrick Strait (Cedric Griffin is not that good, but still), Teddy Lehman (granted, Aaron Harris is not that good, but still), Tommie Harris (Rod Wright was definitely not that good, but still), and Brandon Everage (who Michael Huff is actually better than by a lot).

Were we delusional enough to think we would be better on D going into 2004? Eh, probably (since we got DD and both ends back, returned Ruuufus, got Lance Mitchell back from surgery, and had 'talent waiting in the wings to replace the departed') but the whorns should have learned from OUr silliness. I laugh at you. All of you. Yeah, you'll be better alright. Better. Ha.

goingoneight
4/13/2006, 11:01 PM
A lot of whorns I know personally are saying things like "I'm glad things are back to normal, us beating OU and all..."

I always ask them what their definition of "normal" is in the RRS. For as long as anyone on SF.com shall remember, the series has been damn near even. Unless we have some 70-90-year olds who recall Texas' 8-win runs long ago.
Since when has Mack beating Bob been "normal?" I continue to ask.
Mack has a top-notch program, and is a good, fair coach... I've watched him for several years. Yes UT should be glad to have him, or else Bob (among other great NCAA F HC's) could have recruited some of UT's recent all-stars, as Mackovic just couldn't really do anything dynamic as a HC.

Contrary to Mack's greatness, he DID take 22 years just to win a conference title (or so I've read, cuz I don't remember his earlier years as an HC). Bob has been a consistent winner who flips losing teams upside-down, changes things all-around, and gets in for the MNC race all of the time. Such examples are his DC run at K-State, Florida (Nat'l Champs), and who could forget OU??? Granted, Bob was embarassed by K-State, USC and LSU when it mattered the most in recent years, but look at the situations... Snyder was his mentor, and has an up-and-coming force hammered by injuries in 2003... they snuck up on us and whipped us because they knew OUr strengths (passing game) and weaknesses (frail-legged QB Jason White). And USC were National Championship contenders, and what can you say-- you cannot win them all. USC embarassed us yes, but not-so-much as if they were Okie Light, or someone else undeserving of beating OU, they actually turned out to be one of the greatest teams of all time. Ill-fate would have it that we would have to rely on UT to stop USC from taking over college football.

Thus, the circle of rivalry is strengthened again this time around. It never gets light weight with OU/TX. It never has, it never will. These two programs will fight for even royalties probably till the end of the rivalry's time. UT will continue to boast more series wins, OU will continue to prosper with things like MNC's and Heismans. And some say that the RRS is a dead rivalry...

Herr Scholz
4/14/2006, 11:31 AM
I don't see why the whorns continue to state that their D will be 'better than last year'.
Better talent and depth in the Front 7 (Aaron Harris and Rod Wright are replaceable). Also, we were paper thin at DE last year. Not so anymore. We have more talent to shuffle in at all the LB spots, DT and DE. I would also point to this being our D's second year under Chizik. No new terminology to learn this offseason.

Huff is the one big loss we have at safety but we have 3 returning players in the secondary who got a lot of minutes and we have plenty of new talent there too.

Desert Sapper
4/14/2006, 12:46 PM
Better talent and depth in the Front 7 (Aaron Harris and Rod Wright are replaceable). Also, we were paper thin at DE last year. Not so anymore. We have more talent to shuffle in at all the LB spots, DT and DE. I would also point to this being our D's second year under Chizik. No new terminology to learn this offseason.

Huff is the one big loss we have at safety but we have 3 returning players in the secondary who got a lot of minutes and we have plenty of new talent there too.

Sounds like you guys are all set then. You'll have a great D, but losing 4 playmakers on defense will still take it's toll. Wright, Harris, Griffin, and Huff will all be missed, probably Huff most of all. You have 2 returning starters in the secondary - Michael Griffin and Tarell Brown. The other guys weren't starters, unless you are counting your nickel guys. You'll still be great, but you won't be as good as you were last year. At least not at the beginning of the season. You certainly won't be better, Gene Chizik's second year or no.

Herr Scholz
4/14/2006, 01:10 PM
You have 2 returning starters in the secondary - Michael Griffin and Tarell Brown. The other guys weren't starters, unless you are counting your nickel guys.
Aaron Ross started some games for us as well (although he was mainly the nickel - also our punt returner). He's got plenty of experience and talent, and if you think CB will be a weakness for us at all, it won't. I count him as a pseudo-returning starter.

You certainly won't be better, Gene Chizik's second year or no.
Maybe not at first, but we have better overall talent than last year. And more depth.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/14/2006, 01:26 PM
Hook 'em is probably not going to drop off much on defense. They will some because they lose several playmakers. Chizik is real good, I'll give him that but I don't think the fact that he is in his second year at Hook 'em is relevant. The defense is going to win 7-8 games for Hook 'em and probably keep them in about every game.

The offense however was as reliant on one player as any team I've EVER seen in football. Whoever the next QB is will not have the benefit of receivers running wide open because teams will be overplaying the zone read, or spying on VY. The offense will resemble the Hook 'em offense before VY, that is pretty dominant against lesser competition but pretty easy to defend by a team with equal athletes OU, tOSU.

In short expect the OU/Hook 'em game to turn out a lot like 00-04.

Desert Sapper
4/15/2006, 12:10 AM
Aaron Ross started some games for us as well (although he was mainly the nickel - also our punt returner).

By your logic, OUr O-Line won't be a weakness, because we have (by your logic) four returning starters. Quinn, Braxton, and Cooper all started games for us last year and have talent. Messner started pretty much the whole year. I'm feeling so much better now. Thanks.

stoopified
4/15/2006, 01:37 AM
two qb system has worked so well for Mack in the past :DAmen brother.Well its worked well for us when Brown the Clown goes 2qb.

101sooner
4/15/2006, 09:38 AM
Even if the 'Horn defense does get better, it wasn't great last year. Certainly not a typical NC defense. All seven OU NC defenses were better than last years 'Horn defense.