PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bomar

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2006, 07:43 PM
I was listening to the SA a while back(i was SA free for years before there signal reached my town), and there was a pro scout on saying that he believed that Bomar has already become as good as he is going to be...that he will never be a superstar qb...He said he will be a decent quarterback but that he wont be a elite type of player...I have talked to some other people who think the same way...they are not bad mouthing him but they dont see much upside in his future....The question I guess i am asking is not whether or not he is a good qb...but is he going to improve past where he is at right now?

jacru
4/8/2006, 07:53 PM
right, everyone reaches maximum ability after one year.:rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2006, 08:04 PM
it would seem to be a ridiculous thought but the only thing i could think of was that Bomar doesnt apply himself and work as hard as someone trying to learn a system...or maybe Bomar doesnt have the mental capacity to improve...i dunno, i feel guilty for even repeating something i heard on SA.. All i know is that he progressed well throughout the season last year and was playing superb football down the stretch..

toast
4/8/2006, 08:19 PM
I always believe a pro scout...they are never wrong.

For what it's worth, Davin Joseph said on the post-game radio show that RB has the talent to be as good as he wants to be. Of course, Davin is an o-lineman and maybe not the best judge of qb skills. But I'm definitely not going to argue with him, he would make a little grease spot out of me.

olevetonahill
4/8/2006, 08:21 PM
He will improve continualy take my crimson word for it ;)

jacru
4/8/2006, 08:24 PM
He will improne continualy take my crimson word for it ;)
does improne mean to make someone lay on their belly or did you misspell improve.:D

olevetonahill
4/8/2006, 08:28 PM
does improne mean to make someone lay on their belly or did you misspell improve.:D
Just to stupid to spell check and to lazy to proof :O
Sides those letters are real close on the keyboard .

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2006, 08:32 PM
i d let davin joseph eat my cornbread

olevetonahill
4/8/2006, 08:43 PM
i d let davin joseph eat my cornbread
Hell Id ask him if he needed more butter ;)

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 08:51 PM

ole vet can't type worth a shat - cut him some slack. ;)

olevetonahill
4/8/2006, 08:53 PM
ole vet can't type worth a shat - cut him some slack. ;)
thank ya. Dayum these fat fingers . All 2 of em :D

SouthFortySooner
4/8/2006, 09:59 PM
He'll win the Heisman. Based on the fact that I want him to.

Big Red Ron
4/8/2006, 10:19 PM
Your buddies are goofy.

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 10:26 PM
I think that Bomar being short(about 6-0 or 6-1 could) could hurt him in the pros. And he still hasn't been a good decision maker. But he has the skills to be great at any level he wants to be. I just don't know if he has the skills above the neck to be a great QB right now. He's yet to show that consistantly.

picasso
4/8/2006, 10:33 PM
I think that Bomar being short(about 6-0 or 6-1 could) could hurt him in the pros. And he still hasn't been a good decision maker. But he has the skills to be great at any level he wants to be. I just don't know if he has the skills above the neck to be a great QB right now. He's yet to show that consistantly.
he's as tall as Jason White.

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 10:39 PM
He's 6-3 or 6-4.

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 10:55 PM
There's no way he's 6-3 or 6-4. If he's 6-3 or 6-4 then I'm 6-0 or 6-1. He's only about 1.5-2 inches taller then me and I'm no taller then 5-11. I'm probably not even 5-11.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/8/2006, 10:57 PM
Well Halzle is listed at 6'4 and Bomar was standing next to him and appeared to be the same height

SoonerMooner
4/8/2006, 11:03 PM
Idiots.

I have know Rhett and his family personally for many years, going back to his Dad's coaching stints in central Texas, as well as attending church with the Bomar family. They are good people.

Rhett is about 6-2. He is as tall as many a hall of fame NFL QB and a better athlete than most. Rhett is still learning, and he is smart. He's going to make an absolute jackass out of all you imbeciles doubting him. He eats that stuff up. Keep talking - I'm going to make sure he reads this stuff.

goingoneight
4/8/2006, 11:05 PM
You guys are just used to Jason White, Nate Hybl and Josh Heupel. Rhett is growing with the system, and is in the same pre-season shape as QB that Heupel was in 2000. Healthy, lots of potential, great coaches, making small mistakes, surrounded by talented team mates. Joey is exactly what Josh was in 1998-- a quarterback that Bob Stoops wanted to take a chance on out of Junior College.
You don't have to have a Heisman winner or runner-up for that matter to win games, the important thing is seeing these guys grow as athletes, and preparing them for their future, at OU and beyond graduation.
Joey and Rhett really are looking to grow and better themselves. I saw it down the stretch in 2005 with Rhett, and I believe Bob Stoops any day over SF.com posts about Halzle. I mean we're talking about a guy who has put his faith in all of his quarterbacks, and look how far they've come from their younger, more bull-headed days. If Joey was damaged goods, why didn't they just keep PT and Hays at backup? The dude's got it, he just needs game time to learn and grow in the system.

sanantoniosooner
4/8/2006, 11:07 PM
I Keep talking - I'm going to make sure he reads this stuff.
Make sure he reads that thread where we suggest he could use more discretion while drinking in public.

thanks.

picasso
4/8/2006, 11:08 PM
There's no way he's 6-3 or 6-4. If he's 6-3 or 6-4 then I'm 6-0 or 6-1. He's only about 1.5-2 inches taller then me and I'm no taller then 5-11. I'm probably not even 5-11.
one of the dumbest and most common things people say when judging one's height. try standing next to the guy next time and get a second opinion.
6'0"? heh.

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 11:12 PM
My bad - Soonersports.com has him at 6'2"

olevetonahill
4/8/2006, 11:14 PM
hell accordin to nick I thot he was 2ft 6 :eek:

SoonerLB
4/8/2006, 11:15 PM
Bomar has the size and the athletic talent to be darn good QB, but he has to buckle down and work hard, as well as keep his off the field life in order. If he keeps focused, there is a lot of potential there. And now that there is some serious competition in the mix, he might just have the motivation to show what he is capable of.

The Consumate Showman
4/8/2006, 11:16 PM
The one thing I hope is that Rhett can finally break what I call the curse of OU QB's. I want an OU QB to make a roster and compete for playing time. I think Rhett can possibly do this if he focuses and goes at it with 100%.

westcoast_sooner
4/8/2006, 11:23 PM
This started out like a thread several months ago. Look, Bomar needs maturity. We saw that at the end of the Holiday Bowl, and there have been a couple of off-the-field incidents that say the same thing. But I think that Josh and Coach Stoops will help him come around.

On the field, he struggled at times last year, especially early, but did well as the season progressed. I liked the way he played late in games, most of the time - he did make some big throws, and big runs. Halzle, from what we saw today, isn't ready yet, but I think by the time the season starts, he'll have a few more months to mature and will be a solid backup.

Let's hold off whether RB will be a great QB or just average right now. If he works as hard, then the sky is the limit for him. If not, .....

Zing
4/9/2006, 12:04 AM
Make sure he reads that thread where we suggest he could use more discretion while drinking in public.

thanks.

ding ding ding ding!

shavedmarmoset
4/9/2006, 02:10 AM
While I hope I am wrong, it is a very realistic possibility people. What about Jason Carter? What has he done since he got to Norman? He may have been decent coming in but has not improved. Same happened to Bassey and Onyenegecha. Another example would be Kejuan Jones. While I love that guy, his average hovered right below 4.0 his whole career and he never reached his 4-star expectations that he had coming in.

So really, it can and does happen. Not that it will, don't neg me for this, but I'm just considering possible outcomes.

Hook 'Em Horns
4/9/2006, 08:19 AM
Bomar has the size and the athletic talent to be darn good QB, but he has to buckle down and work hard, as well as keep his off the field life in order. If he keeps focused, there is a lot of potential there. And now that there is some serious competition in the mix, he might just have the motivation to show what he is capable of.

Where is this serious competition you speak of? Halzle is an interception machine. If Bomar goes down you're screwed royal.

Bomar has a big arm, but is slow in his reads and delivery. That can be coached up, but thus far has not happened. I am surprised he's nt further along than he is.

I also think the depth issue on your OL and AP being in a blue shirt is going to hurt the productivity of both your offense and your defense early in the year. The OOC games should get them in the flow before conference begins, but you have a couple of tough games early that could put your chances of a BCS bid to bed early.http://i.a.cnn.net/nascar/2006/news/headlines/bg/03/21/mwaltrip.longhorns/mwaltrip.384.jpg

homerxsimpson
4/9/2006, 08:49 AM

thanks.

He's already hiding it in a coke can, how much more discrete can he get?

Maybe he could wear a fake beard and mustache.;)

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2006, 09:01 AM
Idiots.

I have know Rhett and his family personally for many years, going back to his Dad's coaching stints in central Texas, as well as attending church with the Bomar family. They are good people.

Rhett is about 6-2. He is as tall as many a hall of fame NFL QB and a better athlete than most. Rhett is still learning, and he is smart. He's going to make an absolute jackass out of all you imbeciles doubting him. He eats that stuff up. Keep talking - I'm going to make sure he reads this stuff.

You know what a good way to get your point across is? Insult a bunch of people. Really makes them give a **** about what you say. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Remembering Tom Stidham
4/9/2006, 09:33 AM
Bomar will be our greatest quarterback, ever. With experienced and gifted receivers, a much improved offensive line, and a healthy Petersen, he will have a superb season. Standing next to Josh, he was a littler taller. I don't remember Hypel's height, but Rhett is 'lanky' in appearance.

Rogue
4/9/2006, 10:31 AM
I'm not talent scout, but I have to think that with a year under Long and now working with Josh he'll learn to read more quickly. Another big advantage is that with a solid backfield, he's not under an enormous amount of pressure to be great immediately.

toast
4/9/2006, 11:01 AM
Also, I look to Rhett's improvement to tie to the OL improvement as well.

NickZeppelin
4/9/2006, 11:34 AM
Another example would be Kejuan Jones. While I love that guy, his average hovered right below 4.0 his whole career and he never reached his 4-star expectations that he had coming in.

His numbers are pretty good for a backup RB. If AD never came to OU he would have been a good enough back for 2004 and probably been in the top 5 in the all time rushing numbers. I'm not even saying he's a top 10 or even 20 back in OU history. He was just a very solid backup and had some good numbers. And he was pretty good at everything as a back.

85Sooner
4/9/2006, 11:51 AM
I just want consistency from him.

I got scoured several months ago after reporting that same information that a pro QB coach told me. We'll see. Of course I want him to do good for several reasons.

walkoffsooner
4/9/2006, 12:03 PM
Stoops will get the party bug out of Bomars system then he will improve.

RedstickSooner
4/9/2006, 12:26 PM
Bomar doesn't seem stupid, and so long as he isn't, he has an upside.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/9/2006, 12:34 PM

6'0", 6'2", 6'4" ...what's the differece. He's too short. Plenty of "short" guys have done well in the NFL.

(I'm 6'8" BTW) :D

Seriously, he is plenty tall enough, and has all the physical tools as well as the toughness to be a future NFL QB. His football smarts as his work ethic will determing how far he goes.

cjames317
4/10/2006, 07:51 AM
The Sporting News had a good article within the last year or two explaining the progression/development of a college QB from redshirt freshman to 5th-year senior. What's supposed to happen is that, upon learning execution of the complete offense (which is probably where Rhett's at now, based on the current offensive package), the game should start to "slow down" for him. Then, instead of tucking and running, his abilities to read, recognize, decide, adjust and execute accordingly should improve incrementally, hopefully exponentially. From Saturday's performance, he looked on track.

tbl
4/10/2006, 08:43 AM
Bomar will be our greatest quarterback, ever.

Tap the breaks, chief.