PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Spring Game?

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 03:31 PM
QB-Neither QB played that well. But Bomar was the better QB by far. He still made a lot of bad decisions but he looked better in the 2nd half. It's really tough to judge the QBs against those corners. Our corners are becoming more and more of a strength.

RBs-I wish they could have just made it to not tackle AD instead of the touch treatment he got. It would have made it more fun. Patrick had a couple impressive runs.

WRs-Paul Thompson was impressive. Outside of that the WRs weren't all that good. Strong dropped atleast 3 or 4 balls maybe more. Malcolm Kelly and Iglaseas were rarely thrown to. Although Iglaseas had that impressive catch. I think Johnson had a coach also. Outside of that I don't remember much. It'll be tough with all those young recievers. Hopefully they can step up in the fall.

TEs-Not enough to really judge from. The restrictions against AD didn't allow to see much of the outside blocking. It looked like most of Patrick's runs were in between the tackles so you can't tell how good the TEs are blocking. I don't remember any catches from the TEs.

OL-They were pretty impressive for a spring game. You are gonna allow a lot of sacks in a spring game only because it's touch football out there. But I thought they held their own much of the game. That may not say much about our DLine right now. But the QBs seemed to have quite a bit of time a lot today even on some of the "sacks"

DL-The Ends are awesome but we all know that. They were helped a lot by the QBs wearing the blue. The Tackles worry me a bit. Bennett was pretty good but outside of that I was underwelmed at tackle. I know we get Pendelton back during the fall. And we'll see how good McCoy is but the DTs overall weren't that good.

LBs-I don't think Alexander played for most of the game but the LBs still played well. Pleasant led the way with the INT and some good hits. He was the most impressive guy out there. I was eager to see Reynolds but he didn't seem to have his name called as much as I thought he would. Lofton played well.

DBs-Reggie Smith was the most impressive player on the field. He did get the phantom interference call and he fumbled a punt return but he was impressive. Even on the Paul Thompson catch he defended that one as well as anyone could. Wolfe made some good tackles also. I don't think he did anything bad in coverage. Bowers made a couple good players at corner to. So did Holmes. He was in the right place at the right time for the game TD that put the game away but he looks comfortable at DB. Nic Harris had a great game at safety. He had the 2 INTs. I wasn't really too impressed by the other safeties as much. Williams was in a bad position.

Kicking game-Hartley has a leg but he still needs to work on his accuracy. I liked Knall as a punter. I don't think we'll miss Freeby much.

oufan1
4/8/2006, 03:35 PM
I couldnt wait to get home to see what nick thought

sooneron
4/8/2006, 03:37 PM
I thought the DTs played pretty well. Only once in a while do you get someone that is a true monster at that position. Maybe Granger or McCoy will step into that. They held the inside pretty well and tied up the pass blocking to free up the LBs and DEs.

Flagstaffsooner
4/8/2006, 03:51 PM
I couldnt wait to get home to see what nick thought:D
Actually Nick has a pretty fair assessment of it all. No gloom and doom we're all gonna die crap.;)

soonerfan247
4/8/2006, 03:59 PM
other than Bomar looked worse in the 2nd than the 1st!

Reggie is a stud and will lock down one side of the field and, the oline was really impressive they had to play the entire game! I was very impressed the all aspects except the punting and the dropped balls. If Strong learns how to catch he will be good, was open every time.

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 04:04 PM
Bomar looked a bit more under control in the 2nd half. Outside of the TD in the first half he didn't look that good in the first half. I thought Halzle got worse as the game went on but he seemed confident atleast. He's a capable backup. This might be the first time since 2000 that we don't really want to see the backup over the starter.

oumartin
4/8/2006, 04:15 PM
hold up there nick****!

kelly and inglesias we know what they can do. It was obvious they were working to get the young guys more looks today..

Bomar looked like he did last fall before the improvments IMO.

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 04:35 PM
My impression of the spring game is that it is what it is...a scrimmage.

Flagstaffsooner
4/8/2006, 04:42 PM
My impression of the spring game is that it is what it is...a scrimmage.Sheeet! That didn't count?;)

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 04:44 PM
Sheeet! That didn't count?;)

Well, you can count it. Just like Bob could change the score during that scrimmage. :D

Flagstaffsooner
4/8/2006, 04:50 PM
Well, you can count it. Just like Bob could change the score during that scrimmage. :DDuring the season that is a power that only Big XII refs from Lubbock have.:texan:

Soonerman08
4/8/2006, 05:06 PM
Bomar looked pretty decent out there, Halzle didn't look that good. He was off target with most of his throws.

StoopTroup
4/8/2006, 05:59 PM
The funny thing is no matter which side of the ball you think didn't do well...

They are playing against OUr team.

So if one side didn't look great...that's because the otherside of the ball did.

Enjoy some damn football folks...

We have a long wait till fall ball starts...

Flagstaffsooner
4/8/2006, 06:26 PM
We have a long wait till fall ball starts...
Yup September 2 (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=2&month=9&year=2006&hour=16&min=00)

Soonerus
4/8/2006, 06:33 PM
I thought it was a very encouraging performance, in all aspects, with the possible exception of punting....

Rogue
4/8/2006, 06:37 PM
It was good to watch some football on a Saturday for a change.

Other than what's been said so far...

-I thought Bomar looked a little green in the 2nd half, but started the first half pretty sharp.

-I don't know what plays were called so this may be a reach. It seems that RB still doesn't check very far past the first receiver. Halze is willing to get rid of the ball, but maybe too quickly.

-We had a couple problems with high or mishandled snaps. That worries me.

-A couple of times we either didn't get set before the snap (offense) and once a wideout looked to be lined up offsides.

-Both sides of the ball look they they are getting to the line and lining up more quickly than in recent years. I've worried about our defense seeming to be way out of position at the start of the play in the past and I'm still convinced that this made us vulnerable to some big play exploitation.

-Some new difference makers are emerging:
Allen Patrick, Reggie Smith, and Demarrio Pleasant were bright spots.

-I had a hard time telling much about the O line. On one play they would pass block very well and the next get beat, especially by the ends.

-Same thing with interior D line. I didn't see much penetration in the middle and on the few occasions we tried to run inside it seemed that they were pushed aside too easily. Maybe our O line is better'n I thought.

SCOUT
4/8/2006, 07:21 PM
My daughter had a soccer game today so I missed the game. Anyone know if they are going to rebroadcast it?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2006, 07:37 PM
they are going to rebroadcast on espnu...whatever it is

knall concerns me....coach must be concerned too..said he going to bring a couple of guys in to try out i guess.. center-qb exchange problem made me throw up in my mouth a little....290 % better than last years game....i think the safeties are better this year..15 dollars for 2 baby pizzas and a coke....not so great.....no one got hurt which is nice...it only takes dusty d 3 bites to eat a cheeseburger from o connells..

toast
4/8/2006, 08:13 PM
My daughter had a soccer game today so I missed the game. Anyone know if they are going to rebroadcast it?

ESPNU Sunday morning at 8:00 or 9:00 and Monday evening at 10:00 p.m. I believe.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/8/2006, 08:56 PM
sunday at 9 am

KC//CRIMSON
4/8/2006, 09:30 PM
I couldnt wait to get home to see what nick thought

No kidding. I almost shat myself just trying to log on.

starclassic tama
4/8/2006, 10:09 PM
I liked Knall as a punter. I don't think we'll miss Freeby much.

umm.. what? i thought he kicked poorly all day...

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 10:12 PM
They didn't show his first punt I believe. But his last 3 or 4 punts were solid. I don't know what his averaged was. Probably 30-35 if I were to guess.

jk the sooner fan
4/8/2006, 10:25 PM
he was kicking 45+ with the wind, and about 25-30 into the wind....

Nick - did you wear a Jets jacket to the game today?

Halzle locks in on the first read and never goes anywhere else.....Fred Strong must be the first read on all his plays, because Huggins never got a chance on Halzle's other side.

I thought Bomar looked pretty good...things got a little sloppy in the second half, but it was only when the coaches starting mixing things up with personnel

Reggie and Nic looked good obviously..I thought Lendy Holmes covered well when the 2's were playing, and Ryan Reynolds got after it a bunch.

compared to last years spring game, the O line is vastly improved....which isnt saying much....but i guess the positive thing is that they were blatantly and obviously bad like they were last year

colleyvillesooner
4/8/2006, 10:27 PM

Halzle locks in on the first read and never goes anywhere else.....Fred Strong must be the first read on all his plays, because Huggins never got a chance on Halzle's other side.

I thought Bomar looked pretty good...things got a little sloppy in the second half, but it was only when the coaches starting mixing things up with personnel

Reggie and Nic looked good obviously..I thought Lendy Holmes covered well when the 2's were playing, and Ryan Reynolds got after it a bunch.

compared to last years spring game, the O line is vastly improved....which isnt saying much....but i guess the positive thing is that they were blatantly and obviously bad like they were last year

Ditto on all of it. Bomar put to rest any QB "controversy". He still a Sophmore, but he's making strides.

Your comment on Halzle was right on. If you remember, that was Bomar's biggest fault at first, staring down option #1. That, and Mr butterfingers under center ;)

I realy wanted to see what Huggins could do, but you're right, he wasn't a factor.

picasso
4/8/2006, 10:42 PM
Nick, you do know that our offensive plays were limited. we had 2 RB's suited up and our outstanding D knew what plays we were going to run most of time? right? do do ya realize that?
I was at the game and didn't see too many wideouts running open routes. I saw Bomar being pressured when he was in the pocket from the backside. I saw him rolling out on play action fakes and seeing nobody open one many an occasion.
call me crazy but I think it was a defensive show today.

but hey, some of you nutjobs were thinking Halzle was the 2nd coming or something.:confused: :confused: ;)

goingoneight
4/8/2006, 10:43 PM
Bomar was good as usual... a B+ in my book. The interceptions were clearly good reads by Reggie.
Halzle showed much potential, but I woudn't start him unless it was a game like Middle Tenn State, or aggy. He is good for only being a few practices into D-1 football. His longshots just need a little more speed, accuracy was just as good as Bomar's. No question anymore, Bomar is the 2006 guy, but with room for Halzle to intimidate him. Don't be surprised at all to see us float between QB's this year to relieve Rhett, I think Joey will do well.

Reggie was great today on the D... but he is still NOT a kick returner. He drops the catch too much, and seems lucky to pick up ten yards. This isn't because OUr special teams were THAT good, he played like this all season in 2005. Hopefully DeMarco Murray will step up to the Jejuan Rankins/Antonio Perkins hype we're hearing about him.

AD=great RB (no excuses, just great!)! EVEN BETTER ON THE RECEIVING!!! Sorry Mr. Blue Jersey, those receptions would have been touchdowns easily. I truly believe on that opening play AD was going for scoreboard. I am really looking forward to him in that Play-Action style. This along with Paul Thompson, Malcom Kelly, and Iglesias making plays as they did in the HB and the RW game, OUr offense won't be a threat, but they'll get the job done.

Hats off to Brent Venables and company, so far you've proven me wrong. Secondary looked incredible today, Reggie looked like a star. Please continue to prove me wrong and let's beat this ailing defense we've had since 2004.

R/W game defensive MVP = Reggie Smith
R/W game offensive MVP = gotta go with AD. Take away that purple number, and he would have been home-free at least three times that I saw.

Halzle may have been rusty, but he just came out of JUCO too. All in all, I think he should just move a little more in the pocket and speed up his passing, easy stuff to make him a great QB.

If OUr Offenive Line was supposed to be a problem, I surely didn't notice it. Quinn, Cooper, and whoever else was missing didn't seem to take away those young guys' fire.

OU is growing and showing signs of being a full team by early August, I liked what I saw... and I'm glad I went. Did anyone happen to hear how badly the King butchered Dvoracek's last name??? That was pretty funny IMO...

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 10:48 PM
I think some people put too much importance on a scrimmage.

NickZeppelin
4/8/2006, 10:51 PM

I said Bomar makes bad decisions but I never said Halzle was better. I think I even posted somewhere that this is the first year we won't want to see the backup over the starter since atleast 2000. People were calling for Paul Thompson to start even into the 2004 season when he was being redshirted. Bomar did better as the game went on outside of the last 2 plays that Reggie Smith picked off. I know one didn't count but it was a on bs call.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is Ryan Reynolds. He didn't seem to make as many plays as I thought he would. Curtis Lofton was really good though. Pleasant had the best day of the LBs. Baker played good too.

birddog
4/8/2006, 11:01 PM
i am seeing too much positivity from you, guy. don't make me start to respect you.

westcoast_sooner
4/8/2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I thought Halzle didn't look good at all, but he had probably never played in front of that many people before, and even though he had received a lot of positive comments during practice, he just probably hadn't seen the kind of speed he saw today. I think he'll progress.

Bomar, didn't look great, but was definitely the starter. He should be. he earned the position last year, and I think he did a good job of solidifying. He still locks onto his first read, and that's no good. Josh is going to need to work with him on that kind of stuff. I'm sure that he knows how to read his options from an intellectual standpoint, but just hasn't learned to do it on the field.

AD - what can you say? He's the best back in college football.

Paul Thompson played really well. This was the best I've seen him play at WR. He can really contribute during the season this fall.

The D looked good at times, and I think going into the season they will be one of the best in the country. Seems like the DBs played a good game, made some INTs, but we need someone that can throw the deep ball. Bomar has to make those plays.

All in all, I thought this was a little sloppy, and expected more from a spring game. AD said it was good to knock some rust off, and I could tell by his other comments he's ready to start hitting right now. He's a monster, and I am glad we have him.

I think the biggest thing is for Coach Stoops to find out who is going to be able to contribute as a starter, who can contribute as a reserve in the fall and who will get redshirted.

Go Sooners - can't wait until Sept. 2.

picasso
4/8/2006, 11:27 PM
I don't get it. when in the past several years have we looked lights out in a spring game? the red/white game was moved up this year also.
honestly, I'd be more worried if our #1 O ran roughshod over #1 D.

The Consumate Showman
4/8/2006, 11:29 PM
Short and to the point.

Bomar was okay. Still the starter.

AD is scary out there. If he was full contact?????

OL will be fine this year.

Nic Harris looked good....as did:

Reggie Smith (MVP). lost one to PT and the refs look one away from him.(lame)

All in all. We looked good for not showing a whole lot.

The rest of the Big XII should be a little worried about AD catching the ball out of the backfield. He could rack up some really big numbers this year.

CatfishSooner
4/9/2006, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=

Reggie was great today on the D... but he is still NOT a kick returner. He drops the catch too much, and seems lucky to pick up ten yards. This isn't because OUr special teams were THAT good, he played like this all season in 2005. Hopefully DeMarco Murray will step up to the Jejuan Rankins/Antonio Perkins hype we're hearing about him.[/QUOTE]

I would take Reggie over Rankins(didn't do anything last year really) any day returning the ball...He showed some great explosivness and quick cuts and will just get better w/ the more reps he gets...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/9/2006, 02:29 AM
this is what i'm thinking initially, i'll review the game again to see if i agree with myself.

halzle is where bomar was last year around game 6. he knows where his primary read is and that's about it. the talk about him being able to make progressions was, uh, unfounded.

bomar is a little bit more difficult to read. first of all, he is still only a 1 read QB. however, he proved in the holiday bowl that his pre-snap reads were way above average. this is great when teams only have x days to prepare, but when the defense knows the play, they are able to force you to check to a particular receiver. at issue in the R/W game was that this was inevitably one of our weaker receivers which shouldn't happen in the regular season. so, hopefully this hastens his progress to multiple reads vs. him just saying "oh, they knew the plays, other teams won't".

i thought the announcers did a pretty good job pointing out how late he was with the ball. this doesn't concern me as much as our WRs seem to have really improved on their route running over the spring. this creates a little bit of a lag in timing that normally gets ironed out in the summer.

Rogue
4/9/2006, 10:40 AM
JK, I'm glad you pointed out that RB makes good pre-snap reads. I think the freedom he was allowed last year to audible worked well to that end. Still just a bit slow or not looking past the #1 read. I love his confidence to "force" the ball through the eye of the needle, but that confidence tends to be more solid than the ability right now.

toast
4/9/2006, 11:06 AM
I don't get it. when in the past several years have we looked lights out in a spring game? the red/white game was moved up this year also.
honestly, I'd be more worried if our #1 O ran roughshod over #1 D.

Nice points, Pic.

I go to the spring game for 3 reasons:

1. To spend the day with my son.
2. To get away from the house.
3. To see the younger players on the roster.

I gave up trying to get any sort of comfort factor about the team after a spring game years ago. That being said, I have a better feeling about this team already than what I had at any point last year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/9/2006, 11:45 AM
My impression of the spring game is that it is what it is...a scrimmage.

Xactly. Usually the best thing I take out of the spring game is if no one gets seriously hurt. Otherwise I put about as much stock in it as a spring training game in baseball.

I've never seen a scrimmage game with anything close to the intensity or sharpness of the real thing. By comparison they are pretty weak. But they are like a drink of water at the oasis on the desert trip between seasons.

All that said, for a spring game I though we looked pretty damn good.

RedstickSooner
4/9/2006, 12:20 PM
Folks have already pointed out most of the impressive thigns from the game, I just wanted to add one: Duke seems to be as good as we'd hoped he'd be when we heard about his stupendous weight-room transformation. I'm not an Xs and Os geek, and I find my attention start to wander if I try to watch one player exclusively, but when I happened to watch him for a play he seemed to be aggressive, animated, and pretty effective.

Any of you football geeks analyze his play more, like, critically?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/9/2006, 12:52 PM
i thought the guards played pretty well when bennett wasn't in the game which is worrisome from a DT standpoint.

i was impressed with the corners, not as much with the safeties. the talent is definitely there at safety though. BJW is doing his typical stockpile thing and next year our secondary is going to be tuf.

Jello Biafra
4/9/2006, 03:13 PM
QB-Neither QB played that well. But Bomar was the better QB by far. He still made a lot of bad decisions but he looked better in the 2nd half. It's really tough to judge the QBs against those corners. Our corners are becoming more and more of a strength.

RBs-I wish they could have just made it to not tackle AD instead of the touch treatment he got. It would have made it more fun. Patrick had a couple impressive runs.

WRs-Paul Thompson was impressive. Outside of that the WRs weren't all that good. Strong dropped atleast 3 or 4 balls maybe more. Malcolm Kelly and Iglaseas were rarely thrown to. Although Iglaseas had that impressive catch. I think Johnson had a coach also. Outside of that I don't remember much. It'll be tough with all those young recievers. Hopefully they can step up in the fall.

TEs-Not enough to really judge from. The restrictions against AD didn't allow to see much of the outside blocking. It looked like most of Patrick's runs were in between the tackles so you can't tell how good the TEs are blocking. I don't remember any catches from the TEs.

OL-They were pretty impressive for a spring game. You are gonna allow a lot of sacks in a spring game only because it's touch football out there. But I thought they held their own much of the game. That may not say much about our DLine right now. But the QBs seemed to have quite a bit of time a lot today even on some of the "sacks"

DL-The Ends are awesome but we all know that. They were helped a lot by the QBs wearing the blue. The Tackles worry me a bit. Bennett was pretty good but outside of that I was underwelmed at tackle. I know we get Pendelton back during the fall. And we'll see how good McCoy is but the DTs overall weren't that good.

LBs-I don't think Alexander played for most of the game but the LBs still played well. Pleasant led the way with the INT and some good hits. He was the most impressive guy out there. I was eager to see Reynolds but he didn't seem to have his name called as much as I thought he would. Lofton played well.

DBs-Reggie Smith was the most impressive player on the field. He did get the phantom interference call and he fumbled a punt return but he was impressive. Even on the Paul Thompson catch he defended that one as well as anyone could. Wolfe made some good tackles also. I don't think he did anything bad in coverage. Bowers made a couple good players at corner to. So did Holmes. He was in the right place at the right time for the game TD that put the game away but he looks comfortable at DB. Nic Harris had a great game at safety. He had the 2 INTs. I wasn't really too impressed by the other safeties as much. Williams was in a bad position.

Kicking game-Hartley has a leg but he still needs to work on his accuracy. I liked Knall as a punter. I don't think we'll miss Freeby much.

http://uw-madison-ces.org/calendar/spring04/IslamConference/color.jpg

can i like touch you or something?

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2006, 03:44 PM
holy crap, jkm saw something positive ;)

Collier11
4/9/2006, 03:46 PM
ONe thing I noticed that had me excited was #81, did anyone else notice how easily Fred Strong was blowing by db's? He could be our new deep threat possibly, what do you guys think?

goingoneight
4/9/2006, 03:52 PM
deep threat or deep throat? I was there for all of three quarters and never saw him catch anything.

Most notable plays
1. Bomar to AD three times, without the blue numbers, AD was home-free
2. Halzle to (I think it was) Quentin Chaney. Somewhat of a long pass, lloked good for a Newbie-QB.
3. Reggie the interception machine...

Collier11
4/9/2006, 03:58 PM
I didnt say he caught anything, but he burned the db's atleast three or four times deep and the passes were overthrown each time, one of the biggest things for wide-outs is the ability to seperate and I didnt see anyone do it like Strong yesterday

jk the sooner fan
4/9/2006, 04:15 PM
Strong had a case of the dropsies

Perhaps his hands are the pair that Paul Thompson apparently stole since last season ;)

i dont know that we're a 12-0 team next season, but i sure as hell think we're better than 8-4

and i think that defense causes a freshman QB at texas ALL sorts of problems

Collier11
4/9/2006, 04:17 PM
A.D. even though limited appeared to really have a new gear, I was excited about him. With our D, is it that they know what the Offense is doing that well or are they that good, if they really are THAT good then they could be really dominate

Egeo
4/9/2006, 07:18 PM
offensively
bomar looked ok... nothing great - but we could run some pass plays against uab or tulsa im sure

wr - looked ok
thompson looked much improved
with our athletic te's we'll have a good catching rotation going on

the passing offense will probably be average in the fall - which is a huge step up
and with peterson healthy the running game will be well above average

i was impressed with the oline - they kinda held their own - which is a major achievement considering last year's sack fest

defensively
dline looked good but not great which shows how much the oline has improved

linebacker - we return 2 starters and tons of talent so im not worried
and they looked ok - i didnt notice anything bad

smith gave up some passes but he had good coverage on most of them so thats good and got the turnover/2 and those are nice
wolfe is solid for sure and im confident in lendy holmes playing nickelback or walker should he be healthy ever

at safety, nic harris looked good with the 2's and ive been high on jason carter for a couple of years now
williams is not a consistent cover guy at safety as he gave up the td to iglesias - i dont like the idea of him starting / playing man coverage

im really excited about this team - i definitely expect us to be much better than last year overall should we stay healthy and expect us to make a bcs run

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/9/2006, 07:33 PM
i dont know that we're a 12-0 team next season, but i sure as hell think we're better than 8-4

i think we're better, but with the schedule we have it might not be reflected in the W/L.

oumartin
4/9/2006, 07:34 PM
oh good, here you are ruining our optimism jkm! :D

MikeInNorman
4/10/2006, 10:35 AM
Well, since you asked,

I feel pretty good about this coming year. Based on what I see right now, which is, of course, subject to change, my offical opinion is:

DEFENSE: could be really, really good.

OFFENSE: could be good enough.

SPECIAL TEAMS: could be average, again.

The formula for this team to make a run is this: the defense must be the focus of the team. The defense must play much more consistently in the secondary (thus giving up fewer big plays) and cover better at the LB position (thus squelching the opponent's troubling ability to dink and dunk). Early indications from the staff indicate to me that the coaches think these things will happen. On a bad day, the defense must still be capable of making enough stops to allow Bomar and AD win the game. On a good day, the defense must be dominant enough to keep Bomar from losing the game. Speaking of which....

I predict Bomar will be all over the map. There will be times that the kid looks like a latter day Brett Favre, making plays all over the place with confidence and swagger. He will be much better than last year at this. Other times, I predict Bomar will make mistakes of head-scratching stupidity, such that the entire OU crowd will look something like :stunned:. A great defense and Adrian Peterson will allow us, hopefully, to overcome those moments.

Regarding special teams, I wonder if Joe C will have enough money left over from the basketball HC search to buy Jon Hayes' contract from the Bengals. We have been a big bag of "meh" since he left.

Old Sooner
4/10/2006, 10:53 AM
On Halze, Uncle Merv mentioned that he was a little late on his throws. He felt he has a good arm, however.

NormanPride
4/10/2006, 11:01 AM
I liked the jumping ability of Alonzo Dotson. It'll be nice to have him back there blocking kicks... Granted, the 56 yarder was low (and a bad hold/snap) but 'Zo got REALLY high on that one as well. I do like what I see from Reggie's vision. He looks like he COULD be a great returner, he just has to concentrate on catching everything first.

Scott D
4/10/2006, 05:22 PM
Was kind of hard to evaluate the receivers since both QB's tended to lock in on one-two guys (Bomar - Thompson/Iglasies; Halzle - Strong/Johnson). I'd have liked to have seen more things run for Higgins as the primary read.

We're definitely looking better at corner. Smith looks more natural, and Holmes seems a better fit. It's nice to have corners capable of staying in a receiver's hip pocket. Now, this fall we get to see if they can keep it up against more experienced receivers.

jk the sooner fan
4/10/2006, 06:14 PM
I liked the jumping ability of Alonzo Dotson. It'll be nice to have him back there blocking kicks... Granted, the 56 yarder was low (and a bad hold/snap) but 'Zo got REALLY high on that one as well. I do like what I see from Reggie's vision. He looks like he COULD be a great returner, he just has to concentrate on catching everything first.

umm, you do realize that ryan reynolds blocked that right?

Scott D
4/10/2006, 07:38 PM
heh NP says Dotson, jk says reynolds, the tv guys said brian jackson :)

Collier11
4/10/2006, 08:20 PM
it was reynolds

NormanPride
4/11/2006, 10:37 AM
I thought I saw #91's hand block it on the replay. Either way, we got someone up there and it was cool. :D