PDA

View Full Version : Cops in Caddies...

OklahomaTuba
4/7/2006, 01:07 PM
Coming out of Subway at lunch in Owasso towne, and I happened upon a Tulsa Police Vehicle.

It was a new Cadillac Escalade (with rims!)

WTF is that about? Was the Yukon just not luxurious enough for them?

I bet that car could pay for one extra cop a year, which might have been enough to save my neighbors little girl from being beaten, raped and murdered, then dumped in a dumpster.

If that's the way TPD is going to waste tax-payers money, than F'em I say. Glad I moved the hell outta that town. Cause obviously the driver of said escalade wasn't to worried about spending his hard earned money in Tulsey town.

(I have the picture on my cell phone. I will try to post later. )

RacerX
4/7/2006, 01:09 PM
probably confiscated.

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better, they're already whining to the City Council about the impending (yet again) budget crisis.

And if I were to guess, I'd guess that vehicle was seized during a drug bust or something. I'm pretty sure they're aren't allowd to buy Escalades for city vehicles.

Redshirt
4/7/2006, 01:10 PM
can you say 'government seized property'?

OklahomaTuba
4/7/2006, 01:11 PM
They can use seized property?

I didn't think they could, thats why they had auctions.

Still, if they are bitching about a budget crisis, perhaps they should consider which vehicles they seize and use, just for pr sake?

Okla-homey
4/7/2006, 01:11 PM
Coming out of Subway at lunch in Owasso towne, and I happened upon a Tulsa Police Vehicle.

It was a new Cadillac Escalade (with rims!)

WTF is that about? Was the Yukon just not luxurious enough for them?

I bet that car could pay for one extra cop a year, which might have been enough to save my neighbors little girl from being beaten, raped and murdered, then dumped in a dumpster.

If that's the way TPD is going to waste tax-payers money, than F'em I say. Glad I moved the hell outta that town. Cause obviously the drive of said escalade wasn't to worried about spending his hard earned money in Tulsey town.

(I have the picture on my cell phone. I will try to post later. )

I have the picture on my cellphone. I will try to post later.

Let's not leap to conclusions Tuba. It could have been acquired through a drug-related forfeiture or sumthin'.

Besides, even if not, I'm sure CathyTwoTimes will get all that police stuff straightened out by next Wednesday or so, Friday at the latest.;)

TUSooner
4/7/2006, 01:12 PM
Do they still have the Louisiana dealer plates?

See, these New Orleans cops helped themselves to a bunch of caddies from a local dealership during the chaos after the .... well, n/m

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:13 PM

They use the money from the auctions, right? What's the difference?

Octavian
4/7/2006, 01:13 PM
why is a TPD crusin on 76th St in Owasso anyway?

RacerX
4/7/2006, 01:14 PM
But this thread reminded me that I want to look at the current Michigan State Police car evaluation (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf).

Okla-homey
4/7/2006, 01:14 PM
Do they still have the Louisiana dealer plates?

See, these New Orleans cops helped themselves to a bunch of caddies from a local dealership during the chaos after the .... well, n/m

I read in the Tulsa Paper this morning that the Crescent City Constabulary has now fired upwards of 60 cops for failure to show up for work during the Late Unpleasantness. Any word on firings of "lootinous" cops?

RacerX
4/7/2006, 01:15 PM
why is a TPD crusin on 76th St in Owasso anyway?

Isn't their training center, which is nice, way out on that edge of Tulsa?

Octavian
4/7/2006, 01:16 PM
yeah it is I didnt think of that...

they must've been hungry

TUSooner
4/7/2006, 01:19 PM
I read in the Tulsa Paper this morning that the Crescent City Constabulary has now fired upwards of 60 cops for failure to show up for work during the Late Unpleasantness. Any word on firings of "lootinous" cops?
A few were exonerated, as in, "it was all just a big misunderstanding." :rolleyes:

OU Adonis
4/7/2006, 01:23 PM
They use the money from the auctions, right? What's the difference?

Actually there is a difference. Sell the high end car, buy a low end car and keep the cash difference.

Jimminy Crimson
Sometimes they keep some of the confiscated drug type cars and trick them out to use in their PR events and at schools and the like.

OU Adonis

I didn't realize you were english.

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:25 PM
Actually there is a difference. Sell the high end car, buy a low end car and keep the cash difference.

He implied they couldn't use confiscated vehicles, that's why they have auctions. I said using the money from the sale of the confiscated vehicle would be the same thing.

:mad:

OU Adonis
4/7/2006, 01:26 PM
He implied they couldn't use confiscated vehicles, that's why they have auctions. I said using the money from the sale of the confiscated vehicle would be the same thing.

I am an idjoit.. carry on. :D

yermom
4/7/2006, 01:28 PM
Isn't their training center, which is nice, way out on that edge of Tulsa?

i think it's a bit South and a lot West of Owasso

bri
4/7/2006, 01:29 PM
And if I were to guess, I'd guess that vehicle was seized during a drug bust or something. I'm pretty sure they're aren't allowd to buy Escalades for city vehicles.

Man, it is getting hard out here for a pimp...

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:30 PM
If you'd roll in a Neon, you'd probably be just fine.

RacerX
4/7/2006, 01:31 PM
i think it's a bit South and a lot West of Owasso

I conducted training there and we went to lunch in Owasso.

OklahomaTuba
4/7/2006, 01:31 PM

Well, thats what I meant, that they had to sell the stuff. I thought that was the case although I admit I am probably wrong.

Anyhoo, with the info of just how bad Tulsa fortunes have been as of late, I thought it was pretty crappy.

yermom
4/7/2006, 01:34 PM

i'm sure you lose a lot of money in that process though

in Australia they drive WRX's ;)

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:36 PM
i'm sure you lose a lot of money in that process though

Oh for the love of....

Nevermind.

yermom
4/7/2006, 01:36 PM
I conducted training there and we went to lunch in Owasso.

i guess it's a lot nicer than North Tulsa ;)

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 01:37 PM

Undoubtedly on account of the large gay population.

:D

GDC
4/7/2006, 03:48 PM
Since the Tulsa police tip off the drug dealers they are on the way to their house to bust them, I'm not surprised they drive Escalades.

yermom
4/7/2006, 03:53 PM
Undoubtedly on account of the large gay population.

that or that they are fast and AWD

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 09:00 AM
Here's an article on the subject, Tuba.....

Tulsa - Tulsa's newest patrol car is top of the line. Every year, police
seize about twenty vehicles. Most are sold off, but a few are used as
undercover vehicles. As NewsChannel 8's Bill Mitchell shows us, one of the
more expensive vehicles is now a patrol car.

"It's a pretty fancy car -- a Cadillac Escalade," says Sergeant Mike Eckert.
"It has everything inside -- everything is electric, leather, DVD player, CD
players. It's just a fine 60-thousand dollar plus car."

Sergeant Eckert is a training supervisor. He was assigned the new patrol car
about three weeks ago.

"I'll take the duty and suffer through this time period and drive this
Cadillac to work," he laughs. "I guess if I have to make a sacrifice for the
good of the department, I'm willing to do that."

Eckert says the car gets a lot of thumbs up from the public, especially when
they learn this was confiscated from a drug dealer.

"Everybody that's ever seen it, everybody that's given me an indication of
their opinion of it, it's all been positive," he says.

He says they take the vehicle to community meetings and it will be on
display at the next Tulsa State Fair. Police say if drug dealers want to
keep buying these fancy cars with their drug profits, they'll be happy to
continue taking them away from them.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0506/324595.html

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 09:08 AM
Well, it was a pretty sweet ride, thats for sure.

Obviously fuel economy isn't a problem for our cash strapped city workers.

I do wonder how much they could sell said vehicle for though. Might be enough to train a new cadet? Who knows.

I am just glad they didn't go out and buy it when they just cut the next two police acadamies (even though crime in Tulsa is out of control now) and have to raise utilities an average of 30-50% to make up for money shortages.

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 09:15 AM
I am just glad they didn't go out and buy it when they just cut the next two police acadamies (even though crime in Tulsa is out of control now) and have to raise utilities an average of 30-50% to make up for money shortages.

:rolleyes:

In the new budget, the utility rates were increased an average of $3.85 per household and it was the first increase in 10 years.

Taxman71
5/4/2006, 09:23 AM
What's the big deal? Horatio Caine drives a Hummer for the Miami P.D. CSI division.

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 09:35 AM
:rolleyes:

In the new budget, the utility rates were increased an average of $3.85 per household and it was the first increase in 10 years.
3.85? Not likely!

I just think its funny that the water coming from Tulsa and going to places like Owasso and Bixby is cheaper than it is in Tulsa now!

picasso
5/4/2006, 09:35 AM
my cuz is an undercover cop in Tulsa and he get's to drive some pretty sweet rides.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 09:41 AM
Obviously fuel economy isn't a problem for our cash strapped city workers.

You kill me. First you bitch and moan about how wrong it is for the City to spend that money on an Escalade, then when you learn that they seized the car and it didn't cost them anything you instead bitch about the fuel economy of said vehicle.

Weak. Sauce.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 09:42 AM
Since the Tulsa police tip off the drug dealers they are on the way to their house to bust them, I'm not surprised they drive Escalades.

That's a generalization so broad that I'm sure Tuba got a tear in his eye as he read that post and admired it.

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 09:47 AM
3.85? Not likely!

All I can go by is what was presented in the budget to Council and that's what it said, so....

Unless your source that told you TPD was buying Escalades also has the skinny on the utility inceases, then you could be right.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 09:50 AM
TPD did buy Chargers.

GottaHavePride
5/4/2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, but a low-end Dodge Charger is about the same price as the low-end Impalas that every other police department is using. Patrol cars have so many modifications done to them they're all probably worth $30,000 anyway.

BoomerJack
5/4/2006, 12:32 PM
I believe there have also been some allegations of stuff like this going on in the Dept. of Homeland Security.

There was another thread here about Sen. Coburn and how he's been calling out other Sens. and Reps. on pork. Since I live in Texas, one of you Coburn constituents could contact him about it.

bri
5/4/2006, 01:37 PM
You kill me. First you bitch and moan about how wrong it is for the City to spend that money on an Escalade, then when you learn that they seized the car and it didn't cost them anything you instead bitch about the fuel economy of said vehicle.

Weak. Sauce.

Next he'll bitch about how all that driving around the cops do needlessly burns gas. If we need them, we can just call them.

Oh, and don't even get him started on the fuel waste that is high-speed chases...

Ike
5/4/2006, 01:59 PM
you shoulda seen the prototype vehicle that Mayor Daley rolled out for the CPD a couple months ago. pimpin.

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 02:42 PM

Weak. Sauce.

Hows that weak?

I thought a liberal such as yourself would actually care about the local tax funded offical running around in a gas guzzleing SUV, polluting the environment.

Never mind the fact of spending a considerable amount of extra money on fuel just for "training" purposes in a time when the police are cutting new recruits during one of the worst crime waves in city history.

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 02:45 PM
Next he'll bitch about how all that driving around the cops do needlessly burns gas. If we need them, we can just call them.

Oh, and don't even get him started on the fuel waste that is high-speed chases...

Except in car chases the cops are actually attempting to do something about crime, and most cars get better gas mileage on the highways anyhow.

Running around the burbs eating lunch in a tax payer funded SUV thats used for "training" is another thing.

soonerbrat
5/4/2006, 02:45 PM

Still, if they are bitching about a budget crisis, perhaps they should consider which vehicles they seize and use, just for pr sake?

yep..my stepdad drove all siezed vehicles when he was working in auto theft..used them for stakeouts and to follow people.

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 02:47 PM
All I can go by is what was presented in the budget to Council and that's what it said, so....

Unless your source that told you TPD was buying Escalades also has the skinny on the utility inceases, then you could be right.

I just keep thinking about what the estimate for the Tulsa Arena was at first, and how that came in 40% over budget I think.

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 02:48 PM
I just keep thinking about what the estimate for the Tulsa Arena was at first, and how that came in 40% over budget I think.

That's because a repubz was in office at the time.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 02:48 PM
Hows that weak?

I thought a liberal such as yourself would actually care about the local tax funded offical running around in a gas guzzleing SUV, polluting the environment.

Never mind the fact of spending a considerable amount of extra money on fuel just for "training" purposes in a time when the police are cutting new recruits during one of the worst crime waves in city history.

Do you think the V8 they have in those police interceptor's are fuel efficient? :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 02:51 PM
Do you think the V8 they have in those police interceptor's are fuel efficient? :rolleyes:

Compared to an escalade? Please.

OklahomaTuba
5/4/2006, 02:52 PM
That's because a repubz was in office at the time.

Twas all that fuzzy math. ;)

JohnnyMack
5/4/2006, 02:58 PM

I think you got pwned on your first argument and decided to do whatever you could to keep your argument going.

Now that Taylor is in office I assume you're going to pile on what a shi*ty job she's doing and how she's running the city into the ground, right? Pile on the Dem because she's a Dem. Right? The crime rate was fine under LaFortune.

Your partisan attacks are so tiresome.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2006, 03:18 PM
I think you got pwned on your first argument and decided to do whatever you could to keep your argument going.

Now that Taylor is in office I assume you're going to pile on what a shi*ty job she's doing and how she's running the city into the ground, right? Pile on the Dem because she's a Dem. Right? The crime rate was fine under LaFortune.

Your partisan attacks are so tiresome.

I always got bashed endlessly from my fellow conservatives for holding the opinion that Savage, more or less, did a decent job running Tulsa.

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 03:21 PM
I always got bashed endlessly from my fellow conservatives for holding the opinion that Savage, more or less, did a decent job running Tulsa.

In fairness, she did not have to deal with the budget issues that LaFortune and Taylor have.

1stTimeCaller
5/4/2006, 03:44 PM

2004 Cadillac Escalade

Vortec H.O. 6000 6.0L V-8: 12 | 16 | 14

Vortec 5300 5.3L V-8: 14 | 18 | 16

just googled escalade fuel economy

The 4.6L V-8 Ford CVPI with the 3.27 axle and the 3.55 axle are both rated at 17.7 mpg
last taken from http://www.pfmmag.com/NovDec04/Julyaugustmichstate.htm

Look pretty danged close to me there Tuba. You need to take your fact checker into the shop because this thread proves it is out of whack.

toast
5/4/2006, 03:58 PM

The next TPD vehicle...

http://www.mikedevore.com/uploads/le%20car.jpg

mdklatt
5/4/2006, 04:12 PM
Patrol cars have so many modifications done to them they're all probably worth $30,000 anyway.

About half as much as a new Escalade. Seize the Escalade, auction the Escalade, have enough money to buy a new patrol car with some left over to pay for all kinds of overtime.

I don't see why you people are giving Tuba such a hard time about this. :confused:

1stTimeCaller
5/4/2006, 04:17 PM
you think an Escalade sells for $60k at an police auction?

The PR value is worth something isn't it? See what we do to drug dealers and their money? Pretty good message.

Mjcpr
5/4/2006, 04:22 PM
I don't see why you people are giving Tuba such a hard time about this. :confused:
Because I don't think that was ever Tuba's point. His initial point was that TPD was buying Escalade's then later is was gas mileage.

I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread though so I could be remembering incorrectly.

mdklatt
5/4/2006, 04:24 PM
you think an Escalade sells for $60k at an police auction?

No, but what would it go for?

The PR value is worth something isn't it? See what we do to drug dealers and their money? Pretty good message.

I'd say it sends the message "don't drive a car that catches our eye or we might pull you over, plant drugs in the trunk, and take it from you". But I'm just cynical like that. :D

1stTimeCaller
5/4/2006, 04:32 PM
No, but what would it go for?

I'd say it sends the message "don't drive a car that catches our eye or we might pull you over, plant drugs in the trunk, and take it from you". But I'm just cynical like that. :D

$35,100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-NAVIGATION-DVDS-CHROMES-LOADED_W0QQitemZ4632481445QQcategoryZ6148QQcmdZVie wItem

Why do the cops hate Bruce? ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2006, 05:02 PM
In fairness, she did not have to deal with the budget issues that LaFortune and Taylor have.

Aye, that's very true.

Mjcpr
5/8/2006, 08:57 AM
3.85? Not likely!

I just think its funny that the water coming from Tulsa and going to places like Owasso and Bixby is cheaper than it is in Tulsa now!
Also not true.....

Taylor's proposal calls for increasing water rates by seven percent, sewer rates by nine percent and stormwater rates by up to 25 percent.

TULSA:

Residential water rates

Residential water rates are based on actual water usage each month, according to regular meter readings. Customers are charged a meter fee based on the size of their meter and $1.98 for each 1,000 gallons of water used.

Residential sanitary sewer charges

Sanitary sewer fees pay for the treatment and disposal of more than 23 billion gallons of wastewater each year. Single-family, residential sanitary-sewer rates are based on the average water usage for winter months – December, January and February – or on the current month's water usage, whichever is less. Under either system, residential customers are charged $2.61 per 1,000 gallons of water used.

Residential stormwater rate

Residential customers are charged $3.70 per month to pay for operations and maintenance of more than 85 detention ponds, plus other stormwater facilities operated and maintained by the Public Works Department. Seventy percent of the money raised by the fee goes toward operations and maintenance of stormwater detention facilities, stream channels, pumping stations, culverts, ditches and other drainage facilities. The rest of the money goes toward small capital projects, utility billing, planning and design services, indirect costs, franchise fee and administration. In addition, the City's stormwater detention facilities provide residents with: open green space for playgrounds, soccer fields and trails; wetlands and ponds that serve as wildlife habitat; flood-resistant commercial and residential development; and safer streets due to drainage improvements.

Sand Springs: http://www.sandspringsok.org/shell.asp?pg=35

Owasso: http://cityofowasso.com/PublicWorks/utility_rates.htm

Bixby: http://www.bixby.com/water_rates.asp

Jenks: http://www.jenks.com/utilities.php

Broken Arrow: http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/our-citizens/quality_life/water_sewer.htm

GDC
5/8/2006, 09:02 AM
Taylor's not accepting her salary, that'll buy 1 and 1/2 Escalades.

Mjcpr
5/8/2006, 09:03 AM
Taylor's not accepting her salary, that'll buy 1 and 1/2 Escalades.

Yeah, I posted that the other day but nobody cared. :D

bri
5/8/2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I posted that the other day but nobody cared. :D

Well, yeah, but they can't get p*ssed about THAT.

Well, I speak too soon...I'm sure they can if they try really hard. I've seen them get angry over less. ;)

hurricane'bone
5/8/2006, 12:58 PM
This thread makes me chuckle.