PDA

View Full Version : USC RB Hershel Dennis out for the Season

colleyvillesooner
4/7/2006, 09:08 AM
Tough loss for the Trojans. Hate to see a kid go down like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2399979

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California tailback Hershel Dennis, who entered spring practice No. 1 on the depth chart, has torn ligaments in his left knee and is expected to miss the 2006 season.

Dennis was injured in practice Tuesday, apparently trying to cut on the wet artificial turf at USC's Cromwell Field. An MRI taken Wednesday night revealed the damage.

The fifth-year senior tore ligaments in the same knee in December 2004, had surgery the following month and sat out last season. USC coach Pete Carroll said after practice Thursday that the school would look into applying for a sixth year of eligibility for Dennis. A date wasn't immediately set for surgery.

Running back Desmond Reed, who played as a backup last season, will also miss the season, ESPN's Joe Schad reports.

Reed injured his ACL in last season's game against Notre Dame. He is rehabilitating the injury but is not expected to be able to return to play in 2006.

Dennis started every game as a sophomore in 2003 -- ahead of then-freshmen Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

Dennis was the only experienced tailback participating in spring practice. Reed and Michael Coleman both played as backups last season. Coleman is also recovering from an operation, his on a hip.

Chauncy Washington, who has been academically ineligible the past two seasons and isn't participating in spring practice, hopes to play next fall. He is currently taking classes at USC.

OUGreg723
4/7/2006, 09:13 AM
Petey sure wishes he didnt tell Demarco he wasnt a RB NOW!! To bad for SC. It happens to every team after a good run. You can't keep getting the breaks forever. Glad we dont have to go through it again for a while.

as Robert Frost once wrote..."Nothing gold can stay"

Jimminy Crimson
4/7/2006, 09:45 AM
This brings a tear to my eye! :rolleyes: ;)

TheGodfather889
4/7/2006, 10:30 AM
That's tough. Knee injuries are bad and as we all know they can reoccur again.

sooneron
4/7/2006, 10:34 AM
Glad we dont have to go through it again for a while.

What are you the official jinx giver??? Geez!

Desert Sapper
4/7/2006, 10:46 AM
It sucks to tear ligaments like that. BTDT. All the same, couldn't have happened to a nicer crew (except maybe the Whorns).http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/images/smiles/devil.gifhttp://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/images/smiles/M16.gifHook 'em

NormanPride
4/7/2006, 11:02 AM
Poor kid... Hope he has a full recovery! I am, however, grinning a bit about SoCal losing one. :D

OKC-SLC
4/7/2006, 11:20 AM
Petey sure wishes he didnt tell Demarco he wasnt a RB NOW!!
heh.

shavedmarmoset
4/7/2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know how to feel about this. I hate to see kids go down right before their senior year no matter what team (except texas), I mean that has to suck BAD. But then again it is USC.

SoonerJLB
4/7/2006, 02:24 PM
Dennis was a 5th year senior and is out for the season. I hate to see any kid from any team get hurt.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 02:45 PM
Dennis was a 5th year senior and is out for the season. I hate to see any kid from any team get hurt.

Agreed. I feel bad for Dennis.

I DO NOT feel bad for USC. Something is really funny about a team supposedly having a pick of whatever 5-star player they want finishing their spring without a healthy RB and with their heir apparent at QB being hurt. Lets if any of those 5-star WRs can play RB.

snp
4/7/2006, 03:06 PM
Petey sure wishes he didnt tell Demarco he wasnt a RB NOW!! To bad for SC. It happens to every team after a good run. You can't keep getting the breaks forever. Glad we dont have to go through it again for a while.

I doubt USC is hurting for incoming RBs:

Stafon Johnson 5-star
CJ Gable 5-star
Kenny Ashley 4-star
Stanley Havili 4-star
Emmanuel Moody 4-star

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 03:18 PM

Stafon Johnson 5-star
CJ Gable 5-star
Kenny Ashley 4-star
Stanley Havili 4-star
Emmanuel Moody 4-star

They aren't hurting long term but they just lost arguably a couple 6-star RBs and one or more of those guys are going to have to be the man within just a few weeks of showing up on campus. I don't think it signals a slide for USC but it could cost them a game early in the season.

Sirus
4/7/2006, 03:21 PM
This is why we have indoor practice facilities on rainy days.

SoonerDood
4/7/2006, 03:51 PM
that's. toobaaaaad.
maybe Dennis is getting hurt for all the times FatLendale claimed he was?

The Consumate Showman
4/7/2006, 04:21 PM
Emmanuel Moody 4-star

Since you brought him up, can you post a pic of this kid. He looks FREAKY!!

oumartin
4/7/2006, 04:54 PM
karma coming back on this team.

PDXsooner
4/7/2006, 05:07 PM
i thought they signed two 12-stars and a 34 star? what about the 56 star quarterback? wasn't he also ranked an actual constellation? maybe not.

oumartin
4/7/2006, 05:08 PM
qb was a 1 star until he signed. then went to a five star

XingTheRubicon
4/7/2006, 05:34 PM
I hate hearing these stories. These kind of injuries do not just hurt now, but you feel it when you're 40. Sucks.

OUGreg723
4/7/2006, 06:04 PM

Stafon Johnson 5-star
CJ Gable 5-star
Kenny Ashley 4-star
Stanley Havili 4-star
Emmanuel Moody 4-star

Snap I forgot about those fools. My bad.

goingoneight
4/7/2006, 07:55 PM
Dammit! We had to rely on the whorns to end ther streak... Now, it seems they've jinxed them as well. Oh well, time for ESPN to find a new "greatest team ever anyway." I got a feeling their next greatest team ever will wear golden domes, until they get beat.
Who wants to take a poll on how long it takes someone in the media to pronounce "the greatest team ever???"
I'll bet whoever is off to a 6-0 start will get that honor. Hmmm, what if three teams go undefeated like in 2004? Imagine the arguments on College Football Gameday...

snp
4/7/2006, 08:05 PM
They aren't hurting long term but they just lost arguably a couple 6-star RBs and one or more of those guys are going to have to be the man within just a few weeks of showing up on campus. I don't think it signals a slide for USC but it could cost them a game early in the season.

I know, I wasn't talking about that. I am only talking about the incoming class.

Husker In Oklahoma
4/8/2006, 02:05 AM
I don't think it signals a slide for USC but it could cost them a game early in the season.
You could be right. An "eager" and improved Husker team could get them "early"!:D

Octavian
4/8/2006, 02:09 AM
must...resist...Nelson Muntz picture....

SOONER44EVER
4/8/2006, 02:13 AM
Wasn't Dennis one of the usc players accused of rape or something at the beginning of last season?

Desert Sapper
4/8/2006, 03:12 AM
You could be right. An "eager" and improved Husker team could get them "early"!:D

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! At least you have a sense of humor.