PDA

View Full Version : Army Women's BB Coach Dead at 28.

SOONER44EVER
4/7/2006, 08:11 AM
Way, way too young. May she RIP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news;_ylt=Aqb6xgm3jkulr.5e4P6eAuM5nYcB?slug=ap-obit-dixon&prov=ap&type=lgns

Army women's basketball coach dead at 28

By MICHAEL HILL, Associated Press Writer
April 7, 2006

Army women's basketball coach Maggie Dixon, who led the Black Knights to their NCAA tournament debut last month, has died. She was 28.

Jim O'Connell, a spokesman for the Westchester County medical examiner's office, confirmed that Dixon died Thursday at 3:10 p.m. EDT. An autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

Dixon was hospitalized in critical condition Thursday after suffering an "arrhythmic episode to her heart" Wednesday at the U.S. Military Academy, said her older brother, Pittsburgh men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon.

Dixon said his sister collapsed and was taken to the intensive care unit of Westchester Medical Center.

"She ... went to the house of a friend for afternoon tea where she said she wasn't feeling good and she collapsed," said Dixon, who read a prepared statement from the hospital.

He said he had breakfast with his sister earlier Wednesday and that she had apparently been feeling well.

Army gave Dixon her first head coaching job last October. Six months later, she led the team to its first bid in the women's field. The rookie coach's accomplishment gained extra attention because her brother led the Panthers to the men's tournament at the same time.

The Dixons are believed to be the first brother and sister to coach in the NCAA tournament in the same year.

Army lost to No. 6 Tennessee in the first round of the tournament, 102-54.

The North Hollywood, Calif., native had hoped to play in the WNBA after graduating in 1999 from the University of San Diego. But the Los Angeles Sparks cut her after a tryout in May 2000. She went into coaching with encouragement from her brother.

"He said, `If you want to do this coaching thing, do something drastic,"' Dixon told The Associated Press last month. "That's what I did."

She held a number of positions under DePaul coach Doug Bruno after walking into his office and introducing herself. She eventually became his top assistant in May 2004.

Members of her team were with Dixon's family members at her bedside Thursday.

crawfish
4/7/2006, 08:29 AM
:(

RacerX
4/7/2006, 08:32 AM
That's really sad.

My heart goes out to her team and family.

WOW.

Ruuuuuufus
4/7/2006, 08:53 AM
May she rest in peace. I remember seeing her on Cold Pizza just about a month ago before the tournament started.

Skysooner
4/7/2006, 09:08 AM
This is really strange. I knew her brother Jamie back at TCU. He hit a half court shot to beat Texas in my sophomore year, and he almost single handedly blasted OU in the All-College tournament my junior year (after I had transferred to OU). He hit something like 9 three-pointers in the game. I heard the name yesterday after they took Maggie to the hospital, but I didn't relate it to the Jamie Dixon that I knew so long ago. That is really hard on that family. Jamie is good people.

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2006, 09:12 AM
how sad - RIP Maggie.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/7/2006, 09:13 AM
That's horrible! May God be with her family.

Boomer.....
4/7/2006, 09:19 AM
Very, very sad :(

Harry Beanbag
4/7/2006, 09:23 AM
That is awful. Life sucks sometimes. :(

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/ncaa/women/04/06/army.womens.coach.ap/t1_dixon_ap.jpg

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/03/15/PH2006031502612.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
4/7/2006, 10:00 AM
Saddest story ever.

When the ESPN women's selection show had Army as one of the live feeds, they talked a bit with her and surprised her with having Jamie on the air as well. You could tell from those couple minutes that they had a great relationship and were a neat family.

Sad, sad stuff. :(

emoinwinter
4/7/2006, 10:03 AM
This is sad. I remember seeing her and her brother on Cold Pizza. She seemed really happy nice. My prayers go out to their family.

NormanPride
4/7/2006, 10:55 AM
God bless her and her family. Terrible news...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/7/2006, 12:57 PM
I hate hearing stuff like this. As a woman just a few years older than her, it is really scary.

josh09
4/7/2006, 04:10 PM
wow

and i saw her on that selection special thing. i wonder what happened.

R.I.P.

Jimminy Crimson
4/7/2006, 05:20 PM
i wonder what happened.

cardiac arrhythmia

i'm still in shock over this

life is TOO SHORT! :(

Big Red Ron
4/7/2006, 07:18 PM
I wonder how Pat Summet feels for gettin medevil on her team in the tourney now?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/7/2006, 11:22 PM
I wonder how Pat Summet feels for gettin medevil on her team in the tourney now?
Exactly, and I wonder how Candace Parker feels now after having "dunked" twice on those poor girls from Army.
Like everyone else on this thread, I was shocked; I actually found out late last night on another board that she passed away. Yeah, I watched that same women's selection special when she was being interviewed and she felt like a million dollars. They knew it would be an uphill climb against Tennessee but they already felt like they had won the national championship and she was a big reason for that.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Dixon family.:(

AllAboutThe'O'
4/7/2006, 11:23 PM
This is really strange. I knew her brother Jamie back at TCU. He hit a half court shot to beat Texas in my sophomore year, and he almost single handedly blasted OU in the All-College tournament my junior year (after I had transferred to OU). He hit something like 9 three-pointers in the game. I heard the name yesterday after they took Maggie to the hospital, but I didn't relate it to the Jamie Dixon that I knew so long ago. That is really hard on that family. Jamie is good people.
I saw Jamie Dixon's shot to beat Texas live on the old Southwest Conference TV network.
I probably wasn't the only one when it was announced that he took over as head coach at Pitt that I immediately remembered that miracle shot to beat Texas back in the mid '80s.