PDA

View Full Version : Cody Freeby off the team.

SOONER44EVER
4/6/2006, 07:42 PM
James Hale just reported Cody Freeby is not on the team any more. Something about him not cooperating with his suspension.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2006, 08:11 PM
What a punk...

That fighting artichoke, Knall better step up and boot the crap outta the ball

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2006, 08:13 PM
While I am thinking about this. Has anyone ever heard of a kicker/punter being kicked off a team because they were trouble makers ?

Kickers/punters are normally the strangest guys on the team.

Jello Biafra
4/6/2006, 08:44 PM
While I am thinking about this. Has anyone ever heard of a kicker/punter being kicked off a team because they were trouble makers ?

the punter on my high school team also played safety. cracked three helmets from sophmore year on. he's in jail now so........

BoomerJack
4/6/2006, 08:48 PM
the punter on my high school team also played safety. cracked three helmets from sophmore year on. he's in jail now so........

If memory serves, I believe Joe Don Looney punted some.

Sooner_Bob
4/6/2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, I was a punter in high school.

Of course I also played QB, RB, TE, WR, DT, DE, CB, FS, SS and held for FG attempts.

Eielson
4/6/2006, 09:04 PM

Of course I also played QB, RB, TE, WR, DT, DE, CB, FS, SS and held for FG attempts.

We had a kid at my hometown that did that. He wasn't quite in high school though, 8th grade. But he never lined up at DT or DE and instead of holding field goal attempts he was the one kicking them.

RacerX
4/6/2006, 09:28 PM
http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/tm/images/artichoke-logo_2color.gif

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:31 PM
wasn't freeby and scholarship kicker?

OKC-SLC
4/6/2006, 09:36 PM
[Stoops/]"I'm sure we can find someone to punt 9 balls for us this season"[Stoops]

Jay C. Upchurch
4/6/2006, 09:52 PM
NORMAN — University of Oklahoma head football coach Bob Stoops said Thursday night that punter Cody Freeby has been removed from the Sooners' roster. Freeby, a junior from Fort Worth, had earlier been suspended and missed the first two scrimmages of the spring practice sessions.

"He has not live up to his responsibilities or expectations with the team or academically," Stoops said. "He also hasn't followed through on the disciplinary measures that resulted in those areas."

Freeby, from Fort Worth, ranked No. 7 in the Big 12 last season with an average of 42.8 yards per kick. It was his first full season as the Sooners' punter. Stoops said junior Mike Knall will handle the punting duties in Saturday's Red/White Spring Game.

OU Sports Information Report

LosAngelesSooner
4/6/2006, 09:53 PM
What a dumbass.

You get a chance like that and throw it away because you're immature?

Wow.

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2006, 10:00 PM
Good luck to him in future endeavors. Now
, onto the next punter.

SoonersEnFuego
4/6/2006, 10:07 PM

Sebastian Janikowski was close, I think.

tulsaoilerfan
4/6/2006, 10:09 PM
Remember the North Texas game in 03 where ESPN credited Freeby with Jason White's stats on their crawl? They both wore 18 then; guess that was Freeby's 15 mins of fame.

JU

goingoneight
4/6/2006, 10:24 PM
Number SEVEN in the Big 12??? SEVEN? Please tell me aggy was ranked lower, please. It's bad enough they ranked higher in kick returns...

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 10:58 PM
Complete idiot. You have the EASIEST job on the team and you get kicked off because you think you're too good to TRY to pass a class....what a WETAWD!!!!!!!!!

picasso
4/6/2006, 11:17 PM
only punter in D-1 who had a 50/50 shot of spraining his ankle on every kick.

royalfan5
4/6/2006, 11:20 PM

Nebraska had a kicker get suspended a few years ago, because he decided to go to an ex-girlfriends and wait on her door step with a bottle of vodka. He then got his *** handed to him by her new boyfriend after he tried to throw down. That's about all I can think of.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/6/2006, 11:36 PM
Nebraska had a kicker get suspended a few years ago, because he decided to go to an ex-girlfriends and wait on her door step with a bottle of vodka. He then got his *** handed to him by her new boyfriend after he tried to throw down. That's about all I can think of.

That's hilarious

picasso
4/7/2006, 12:05 AM
I thought that was Josh Brown. who tried to beat up his ex and got clobbered by her new nerd boyfriend.

Rhino
4/7/2006, 12:15 AM
http://photos-680.facebook.com/images/profile/786/107/n9608680_19929.jpg

Desert Sapper
4/7/2006, 12:49 AM
An easy scholarship, and he flushed it. Am I sorry to see him go? No, I am not. Somewhere in the student body or already on the team exists someone that can eclipse his 42.8 yds/punt. I say we look at the Women's Soccer team.

royalfan5
4/7/2006, 08:37 AM
I thought that was Josh Brown. who tried to beat up his ex and got clobbered by her new nerd boyfriend.
It was Josh Brown.

OUGreg723
4/7/2006, 08:42 AM
our highschool punter was a fat arabian/mexican guy named Aiden. REAL nice guy, and the vocal leader of our team. Sad actually....our punter was our vocal leader...GO HORNETS!

snp
4/7/2006, 09:01 AM
http://photos-680.facebook.com/images/profile/786/107/n9608680_19929.jpg

Kinda weird seeing my friends being posted on message boards. Small world.

Grimey
4/7/2006, 09:04 AM
The Punter from my high school went on to play linebacker at OU. Collin Rosenberg.

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 09:06 AM
Kinda weird seeing my friends being posted on message boards. Small world.

It shouldn't be if you're friend is an OU player and you're on an OU message board.

:)

n8v_ndn
4/7/2006, 09:13 AM
Say, that reminds me...anyone know what became of that all-star high school punter from Montana who decommitted before setting foot on campus? The story I saw on him stated that he wasn't changing his mind on which school to go to, he was quitting or something.

Howzit
4/7/2006, 09:25 AM

Which would support BOOMERBRADLEY'S hypothesis.

;)

Harry Beanbag
4/7/2006, 09:31 AM
Say, that reminds me...anyone know what became of that all-star high school punter from Montana who decommitted before setting foot on campus? The story I saw on him stated that he wasn't changing his mind on which school to go to, he was quitting or something.

Josh Roberts was a kicker, and I think he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Jimminy Crimson
4/7/2006, 09:48 AM

Malta, Montana!

haha

I was :confused: the first time that Josh Roberts, the singer d00d, did the national anthem at an OU event. I was like WTF, he doesn't show up to kick but ends up singing? :D

1stTimeCaller
4/7/2006, 09:49 AM
I blame Schmidt.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 09:52 AM
Josh Roberts was a kicker, and I think he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Yeah, I think he passed on a scholarship at quit outright. I think he said Subway was hiring.

Freeby was beating up Ninja's though. This is disappointing. I guess we just we will just need to find someone else to punt 15-16 times next year.:D

Jimminy Crimson
4/7/2006, 09:52 AM
I blame Schmidt.

When you can't blame Chuck Long, turn all blame towards Schmidtty! :texan:

TheUnnamedSooner
4/7/2006, 09:58 AM
anyone else think its funny that a kicker got kicked?

Rhino
4/7/2006, 10:37 AM
Kinda weird seeing my friends being posted on message boards. Small world. Just a facebook world.

The Punter from my high school went on to play linebacker at OU. Collin Rosenberg. Colin was an animal.

badger
4/7/2006, 12:50 PM
just think of him as football's (former) version of Kellen Sampson:
http://photos-270.facebook.com/n13/157/10/9608632/n9608632_30697270_6509.jpg
He loves Kevin Bookout.

LSUdeek
4/7/2006, 01:17 PM
Glad he didn't honor his commitment to LSU.

Flagstaffsooner
4/7/2006, 02:45 PM
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1918

April 7, 2006

F’N UP: OKLAHOMA PUNTER OFF THE TEAM (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1918)

Bob Stoops has punted punter Cody Freeby from the team for just kind of generally sucking at life as an Oklahoma Sooner (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66254). Freeby, already suspended from the team, refused to “cooperate with his suspension,” which we interpret as funneling beer, skipping class, and behaving like most non-scholarship, non-athlete cretins on college campuses do: like a second-degree *** with a PlayStation addiction and five dollars to his name. Freeby’s name will no longer describe the cost of his education, however, as the scholarship ends with his dismissal.
This begs the question: how does one **** up a punting scholarship? That’s like getting in trouble on the lacrosse team, and you know how mild-mannered those guys are…especially at prestigious private schools. Bobby Bowden, however, understands the plight of renegade kickers, and will likely roll out the red carpet for the “misunderstood” Freeby at Florida State, paving the way for his eventual pick as the number one draft pick of the Oakland Raiders in 2008 draft.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0jurz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/al_davis.jpg.w180h194.jpg
Al Davis: suddenly madly in love with a punter.

Spray
4/7/2006, 04:18 PM
Which would support BOOMERBRADLEY'S hypothesis.

;)

That all Germans love David Hasselhoff?

Rogue
4/8/2006, 01:23 PM
He's already been dropped from the roster at soonersports.com

Harry Beanbag
4/8/2006, 07:45 PM
If what I saw today is any indication, we've got some problems at the punter position now.

royalfan5
4/8/2006, 11:18 PM
If what I saw today is any indication, we've got some problems at the punter position now.
If AD stays healthy you guys should have to punt once maybe twice a game, that means if worse comes to worse you'll just have to make sure you score more than 14 points and y'all should be fine. Could your kicker handle punting too, if worse comes to worse?

snp
4/9/2006, 11:54 AM
Freeby withdrew from all his classes. Definately not making a comeback this season.

NickZeppelin
4/9/2006, 12:03 PM
Why all this fuss over a punter? If we are really good then we won't need a good punter anyway.

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 12:13 PM
Why all this fuss over a punter? If we are really good then we won't need a good punter anyway.

Yeah, 'cause Jeff Ferguson didn't make a damned smart play in the Orange Bowl to keep FSU from getting a touchdown or anything.

Desert Sapper
4/9/2006, 12:19 PM
Bottom line is we need a productive punter to maintain the field position advantage. Especially against the better teams. I hope we blow everybody out, but we didn't even do that in 2000. Jeff Ferguson was a huge reason we made it to the OB in the first place, and a definite factor in our win. I hope we can find somebody worth their salt.

NickZeppelin
4/9/2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, 'cause Jeff Ferguson didn't make a damned smart play in the Orange Bowl to keep FSU from getting a touchdown or anything.

FSU still had to score 2 TDs to win. And the way our defense played that wasn't gonna happen.

sanantoniosooner
4/9/2006, 01:13 PM
FSU still had to score 2 TDs to win. And the way our defense played that wasn't gonna happen.
You're right Nick.

Only crappy teams should bother with a good punter.

Your logic wins out again.

PrideTrombone
4/9/2006, 01:33 PM

Agreed, however, you never know when a good punter is gonna be necessary. How about Ferguson side-stepping the Air Force punt rush and getting off a 55 yarder? Saved us at least 2, if not 7 points.

1stTimeCaller
4/9/2006, 02:54 PM
I still blame Schmiddy.

Rhino
4/9/2006, 04:47 PM
Freeby withdrew from all his classes. Definately not making a comeback this season. Yikes.

Withdrawing from your classes in April doesn't speak too highly of one's academic standing.

NickZeppelin
4/9/2006, 05:57 PM
Agreed, however, you never know when a good punter is gonna be necessary. How about Ferguson side-stepping the Air Force punt rush and getting off a 55 yarder? Saved us at least 2, if not 7 points.

Wow that was a real nail biter. I think we won 40-3. I'm not saying a good punter is bad for the team or something. But it's not a position you need to really worry about that much. People were bitching about Blake as a punter too when he came in here to replace his brother. He ended up just fine.

MamaMia
4/9/2006, 06:14 PM
Well, I'll admit that my curiosity as to what happened with Cody sure is at an all time high, but I'll just have to mind my own business. :D

We do need a punter though, and a good one at that. I really do feel that Stoops will find us at least one, maybe even two, so I wont worry just yet.

n8v_ndn
4/10/2006, 09:48 AM
Man...ya'll remember the '02 game vs. A&M in College Station? A 30-26 loss for OU.

For me, that game was the prime example of how a punter can affect the game. Seems like we couldn't put together a 30 yd drive to save our lives, and A&M's punter pinned us deep all day and night. Even when we'd stop them on their side of the field, their punter would get the ball out of there and prevent big returns.

Success comes from a solid, multi-prong attack...somewhere down the line the best and smartest competition will exploit whatever weakness(es) you have.

picasso
4/11/2006, 01:37 AM
Wow that was a real nail biter. I think we won 40-3. I'm not saying a good punter is bad for the team or something. But it's not a position you need to really worry about that much. People were bitching about Blake as a punter too when he came in here to replace his brother. He ended up just fine.
defense and special teams wins games.

-Bob Dunleavey

Desert Sapper
4/11/2006, 03:40 AM
defense and special teams wins games.

-Bob Dunleavey

No, no, no. OFFENSE wins games. DEFENSE wins championships. SPECIAL TEAMS saves your A$$. ;)

picasso
4/11/2006, 11:05 AM
you had me at hello.

- Jameal Holleyway

Zing
4/11/2006, 01:55 PM
Climb a tree! Trucks can't climb trees!

-Crow T. Robot

Tear Down This Wall
4/11/2006, 04:04 PM
Freeby's brother is an attorney in Fort Worth. Total opposite of his little brother. He dished mucho scoop on the inner working of last year's locker room...but, I shall divulge detail none for fear of baning.

CobraKai
4/11/2006, 04:11 PM

Actually, had Ferg not made that play they would have only had to score one TD really. Not that I'm saying they ever would have scored that day, but still...

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 04:18 PM
Freeby's brother is an attorney in Fort Worth. Total opposite of his little brother. He dished mucho scoop on the inner working of last year's locker room...but, I shall divulge detail none for fear of baning.

Sounds like PEEMs are in order then.

CobraKai
4/11/2006, 04:32 PM

What if all of us promise not to tell?

Tear Down This Wall
4/11/2006, 04:37 PM
I'd say you don't have the power to bane me :D I gave one scoop last fall and got baned...even though it came true, but was spun different publicly.

Just believe it when you hear it said that Stoops gives these guys an honest chance to get back on the straight and narrow path if they falter...and if they don't, they're real gone, daddy-o!

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 05:02 PM
I'd say you don't have the power to bane me :D I gave one scoop last fall and got baned...even though it came true, but was spun different publicly.

Refresh our memories, what did you say and what did happen and what was spun...Since it was true and in the past, you can't get baned for 1. telling the truth and 2. discussing past issues...