PDA

View Full Version : Turgeons offer

theshocker
4/6/2006, 06:21 PM
Turgeon has been offered by almost a million a year and a 10 year contract. This is going to get very interesting.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:24 PM
shocker, where have you been hearing this? who are your sources?

theshocker
4/6/2006, 06:25 PM
just came in on the news on the NBC affiliate here. (KSNW) You might look at Kansas.com and see if it's on there yet also.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:25 PM
if you're a troll, you are very good.

OUGreg723
4/6/2006, 06:27 PM
He couldnt possibly turn this down. He'd be crazy or yellow. If it's true, I'd say it is safe to say its in the bag. Welcome to Oklahoma , Coach.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:28 PM
a buddy of mine who gets the Kansas news channels confirmed the TV announcement.

here we go!

theshocker
4/6/2006, 06:29 PM
I'm a huge Turgeon supporter and would hate to see him leave here. I have never seen so much excitement in this city. It went as far as closing the theatres during the tournament to show the ncaa games on the movie screens. Stores would get in hundreds of Wichita St. apparel and be sold out by the end of day. It was as good as winning the national championship. He could run for mayor and win by a landslide. Any of you that are saying NO TURGEON are insane. He is definately qualified for that position and if you don't get him now he will be coaching against you in 3-5 years at Kansas. You might be regreting your opinions on the situation then.

theshocker
4/6/2006, 06:30 PM
This offer of almost a million is what WSU has offered him...NOT OU

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:31 PM
This offer of almost a million is what WSU has offered him...NOT OU

oh. I've got a call to make. :mad:

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:35 PM
my buddy said he caught the tail end of an announcement and automatically assumed it was OU who made the offer.

very interesting.

this sounds like a bidding war.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 06:47 PM
what else would prompt WSU to make an offer like this besides the fact that he is a really good coach?

what sort of contract is he currently under?

theshocker
4/6/2006, 07:11 PM
his contract now is for $460,000 a year for the next 4 or 5 years i don't remember how many

sooneron
4/6/2006, 07:35 PM
I don't see OU offering more than 1.2 for about 6-7 years. Taking someone from a MVC warrants that kind of set up. Someone proven in the bigs would get more years with some more dough.

Just my gut feeling. No offense to Turgeon.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 07:40 PM
I have a gut feeling he's going to take the WSU offer.

oumartin
4/6/2006, 07:49 PM
Joe C. hasn't even offered to Turgeon yet.
I just talked to the guy

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 07:54 PM
Joe C. hasn't even offered to Turgeon yet.
I just talked to the guy

is that right? well, there are official offers and there are "unofficial" offers.

it's all very delicate and involves other people (agents) besides the people directly involved. so, just because there hasn't been an actual offer doesn't mean that there hasn't been an actual offer. :D

oumartin
4/6/2006, 07:57 PM
Look, Joe C. just sent me a text telling me to quit texting him because he is very busy nailing down his candidate over a couple brews and some dancers.

lufkinaggie07
4/6/2006, 08:02 PM
He's no Gillespie or Barnes, but he's about as good as a school like OU can get.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:08 PM
Look, Joe C. just sent me a text telling me to quit texting him because he is very busy nailing down his candidate over a couple brews and some dancers.

at Suger's?

oumartin
4/6/2006, 08:16 PM
couldn't tell, lots of background noise. sounded like an air force base or something in the background. I mentioned McConnell but I don't know where that is.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:19 PM
He's no Gillespie or Barnes, but he's about as good as a school like OU can get.
aTm has one decent season and their fans get all uppity.

theshocker
4/6/2006, 08:31 PM
are you saying wichita st. having one decent season??? i think we have seen things improve for a few years now. i know oklahoma has some great recruits coming in but we have only lost one player from next years team. we will be back in the tournament again next year and hope to have as good of a run as we did this year.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:34 PM
are you saying wichita st. having one decent season??? i think we have seen things improve for a few years now. i know oklahoma has some great recruits coming in but we have only lost one player from next years team. we will be back in the tournament again next year and hope to have as good of a run as we did this year.

he was talking about Texas A&M having one good season Shocker, not you guys.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:35 PM
There's this REAL cool feature on this site where you QUOTE somebody so that you can respond to them.

It's PURE GENIUS.

Read the post that I QUOTED and who it was from and then read my RESPONSE in that context.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy hours of QUOTING and RESPONDING.

theshocker
4/6/2006, 08:38 PM
Funny that you are talking like you are an intellect, when most people refer to the school you are talking about as Texas A&M not aTm. Don't be an ***! :)

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:40 PM
Funny that you are talking like you are an intellect, when most people refer to the school you are talking about as Texas A&M not aTm. Don't be an ***! :)

easy shocker. :)

aTm is the accepted way in Big 12 circles. Check their logo.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:41 PM
Funny that you are talking like you are an intellect, when most people refer to the school you are talking about is Texas A&M not aTm. Don't be an ***! :)
So you got mighty smart since your last post?

The day I type out aTm in long form is the day I spek you for reading comprehension.

Harry Beanbag

You are stupid. Go back to the Missouri Valley Conference boards.

william_brasky
I'm out of this one. :)

theshocker
4/6/2006, 08:43 PM
You are truly a funny man. I wasn't getting on you about your comments until you started ACTING you were more intelligent than everyone else. All you had to do was explain your comment. I'm sorry that I don't know what aTm is, that doesn't mean you should be rude about it.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:47 PM
You are truly a funny man. I wasn't getting on you about your comments until you started ACTING you were more intelligent than everyone else. All you had to do was explain your comment. I'm sorry that I don't know what aTm is, that doesn't mean you should be rude about it.
your second clue about my response would have been the name 'aggie' for the person I responded to.

hey, I just dropped a little teasing on you and you got all serious.

Lighten up, read a little closer, and have some fun.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:50 PM
SA, theshocker is right.

You are a funny man.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:51 PM
SA, theshocker is right.

You are a funny man.
**** off dip****

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:52 PM
no, you **** off dip****

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:53 PM
hey SHOCKER, did they mention any type of time-frame on the Turgeon offer?

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 08:54 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sanantoniosooner again.

you dip****

sooneron
4/6/2006, 09:17 PM
I guess shocker went back to his board. They have one, right?

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 09:18 PM
You know that 3 straight posts pretty much kills a thread don't you?

theshocker
No they haven't. It is official that Tad Boyle is going to stay at WSU now. I guess the Northern Colorado job starts at $57,000 a year. There are highschool coaches making that kind of money. I think he was making $90,000 here. I'm not sure how far this will go but I'm sure if Turgeon comes back and asks for the $1.2 million he has supposedly been offered at OU then he would get it. I do know that WSU has been in touch with the Kochs and Carneys. If you don't know who the Carneys are, just think pizza. :)

sanantoniosooner
I guess shocker went back to his board. They have one, right?
his light is green.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 09:54 PM
If you don't know who the Carneys are, just think pizza. :)

OK. Now what?

Now I'm hungry. Damnit.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14282278.htm

Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus said he remains optimistic that basketball coach Mark Turgeon will sign a contract extension.

"I felt very good about our discussions," Schaus said. "I feel like we've had a very positive dialogue. Obviously, it's a tremendous priority."

Schaus said he most recently spoke with Turgeon on Tuesday, and he expects Turgeon to be at Monday's awards celebration for the team. Turgeon also talked with Schaus last week before attending the Final Four.

"I still don't know a timetable," Schaus said. "Hopefully, when it's comfortable for Mark in this process, it will all work out."

Schaus declined to comment on specific job searches.

Turgeon received an extension a year ago that runs through the 2009-10 season. It increased his compensation to $460,000 annually.

Turgeon, 41, is 111-76 in six seasons at WSU. The Shockers won their first Missouri Valley Conference title since 1983 this season and qualified for their first NCAA Tournament since 1988.

WSU associate head coach Tad Boyle is no longer a candidate at Northern Colorado, according to the Greeley Tribune. Boyle declined to comment. Boyle's base salary, according to Schaus is $89,712. Northern Colorado will pay its next coach a salary "starting around $70,000," vice president for advancement Ken McConnellogue told the Tribune.

theshocker
4/6/2006, 10:07 PM
just to let you know.....the AD said the day after the lost in the tournament that this would be a priority and taken care of immediately. it's been almost 2 weeks since they lost. you call this immediate????

OUstud
4/6/2006, 10:22 PM
He'll come to OU. There, I said it. Gut feeling.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 10:30 PM
just to let you know.....the AD said the day after the lost in the tournament that this would be a priority and taken care of immediately. it's been almost 2 weeks since they lost. you call this immediate????

maybe something has lit a little fire under the WSU ADs hiney.

SpiderInMyPeanuts
4/6/2006, 10:42 PM
He'll come to OU. There, I said it. Gut feeling.

Wow! What a bold statement.

Harry Beanbag
4/6/2006, 11:09 PM
his light is green.

Does that mean nobody's home?

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 11:19 PM
This is what I say about our coaching job:

Hire one of the following and it's a success:

1) Jay Wright
2) Al Skinner
3) John Calipari
4) Mark Few

Stay away from NBA coaches that are getting fired and stay away from these freakin' "coach of the hour" types like Turgeon, Hobbs, Larranaga and otehrs. We can land a "Big Name" coach here. When Joe flashes that cash and the incentives, I think we'll end up with a good coach. TRust in Joe's ability to hire. Plus, he really likes B-Ball....

picasso
4/6/2006, 11:20 PM
Turgeon's a prick.

Big Red Ron
4/6/2006, 11:58 PM
He's no Gillespie or Barnes, but he's about as good as a school like OU can get.:rolleyes: Dude we just pushed out a coach better than one if not both of those guys (I'll let you decide which ;) ) Also, Tubbs was/is a better coach than both too.

picasso
4/7/2006, 12:03 AM
yeah, I missed that brilliant post by Luffy aggy.

John Mcleod, Dave Bliss, Billy Tubbs, Kelvin Sampson. lousy lot alright.

Big Red Ron
4/7/2006, 12:10 AM

1) Jay Wright
2) Al Skinner
3) John Calipari
4) Mark Few

Stay away from NBA coaches that are getting fired and stay away from these freakin' "coach of the hour" types like Turgeon, Hobbs, Larranaga and otehrs. We can land a "Big Name" coach here. When Joe flashes that cash and the incentives, I think we'll end up with a good coach. TRust in Joe's ability to hire. Plus, he really likes B-Ball....I know that we are willing and able to present a package of around 2.2 million per year to the handful of "home runs" out there. I have a gut feeling this hire may be someone that hasn't really been discussed much and very exciting.

Vegas Sooner
4/7/2006, 11:07 AM
I'm a huge Turgeon supporter and would hate to see him leave here. I have never seen so much excitement in this city. It went as far as closing the theatres during the tournament to show the ncaa games on the movie screens. Stores would get in hundreds of Wichita St. apparel and be sold out by the end of day. It was as good as winning the national championship. He could run for mayor and win by a landslide. Any of you that are saying NO TURGEON are insane. He is definately qualified for that position and if you don't get him now he will be coaching against you in 3-5 years at Kansas. You might be regreting your opinions on the situation then.

He said he wants to stay at BTK's alma and then go to towne east and watch all the wanna be gangsters walk around.

Vegas Sooner
4/7/2006, 11:19 AM

....that is just sad.

picasso
4/7/2006, 11:22 AM
no go to Wicheetahtaw.

royalfan5
4/7/2006, 12:53 PM

1) Jay Wright
2) Al Skinner
3) John Calipari
4) Mark Few

Stay away from NBA coaches that are getting fired and stay away from these freakin' "coach of the hour" types like Turgeon, Hobbs, Larranaga and otehrs. We can land a "Big Name" coach here. When Joe flashes that cash and the incentives, I think we'll end up with a good coach. TRust in Joe's ability to hire. Plus, he really likes B-Ball....Why are you so hopped up on Few, his teams consistently fold in tight games against real teams, and play down to their competition in Conference. Few is more of a mirage than the MVC coaches that have to get their teams ready to slog through a top heavy league. But then again everybody loves Gonzaga for somre reason.

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 12:55 PM
....that is just sad.

I think it's kind of cool really. Having that much support and excitement for a school's basketball squad.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 01:45 PM
Why are you so hopped up on Few, his teams consistently fold in tight games against real teams, and play down to their competition in Conference. Few is more of a mirage than the MVC coaches that have to get their teams ready to slog through a top heavy league. But then again everybody loves Gonzaga for somre reason.

Well Gonzaga 2005-06 was certainly overrated as probably was 04-05. Prior to that though I think they were underrated and I give Few a lot of credit for making a national power out of a school that was know for John Stockton 20 years ago and the occaisional clash with Mothra or Ghidorah.

I think Few would be a great coach at OU.

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 02:38 PM
Why are you so hopped up on Few, his teams consistently fold in tight games against real teams, and play down to their competition in Conference. Few is more of a mirage than the MVC coaches that have to get their teams ready to slog through a top heavy league. But then again everybody loves Gonzaga for somre reason.

Few is an excellent coach dude. There's no telling what he could do at a school that could draw better athletes. He's starting to get some talent in though with all their success.

Adam Morrison was pretty much a nobody coming out of high school according to recruiting experts.

theshocker
4/7/2006, 02:46 PM
Few also has a transfer coming in that is tall and is a pure shooter. Micah Downs didn't get along with Bill Self. He wasn't good in practice. He was lazy and Self believes that you have to play hard in practice to be able to play in the games. They butted heads the whole time he was there.

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 02:49 PM
Self should've redshirted that kid.

royalfan5
4/7/2006, 03:31 PM
Well Gonzaga 2005-06 was certainly overrated as probably was 04-05. Prior to that though I think they were underrated and I give Few a lot of credit for making a national power out of a school that was know for John Stockton 20 years ago and the occaisional clash with Mothra or Ghidorah.

I think Few would be a great coach at OU.
Dan Monson built that program and took it to the Elite 8. WCC is a cake walk conference, and Few's teams didn't get past the first weekend in the tournament til this year after his first year.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/7/2006, 03:38 PM
no go to Wicheetahtaw.

I kid you not...Mrs. THA was up in Wichita to WSU for a music conference. Anyone that doens't know about WSU, lets just say it's not in a nice part of town. Anyway, MRs. THA and her friends are in a car going to someplace to eat when a naked women comes running out of the projects with a man chasing her with a gun...I'm not kidding!

I was looking into a faculty position at WSU until this story was related to me...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 03:46 PM
I kid you not...Mrs. THA was up in Wichita to WSU for a music conference. Anyone that doens't know about WSU, lets just say it's not in a nice part of town. Anyway, MRs. THA and her friends are in a car going to someplace to eat when a naked women comes running out of the projects with a man chasing her with a gun...I'm not kidding!

I was looking into a faculty position at WSU until this story was related to me...

Sounds like the guy running with the gun was looking for a position as well. :eek:

soonersin07
4/7/2006, 04:02 PM

1) Jay Wright
2) Al Skinner
3) John Calipari
4) Mark Few

Stay away from NBA coaches that are getting fired and stay away from these freakin' "coach of the hour" types like Turgeon, Hobbs, Larranaga and otehrs. We can land a "Big Name" coach here. When Joe flashes that cash and the incentives, I think we'll end up with a good coach. TRust in Joe's ability to hire. Plus, he really likes B-Ball....

Are you kidding me? Who do you think we are, we're not getting Calipari, Wright, or Few and Skinner's a long shot. Calipari and Wright both have great teams coming back at schools where the fans actually fill the arena and Few's a west-coast guy that won't take any job that's not a pac-10 school in the northwest. Does Skinner have some kind of connection to the midwest I don't know about? I'm pretty sure he's from the northeast and hasn't been elsewhere. Oddly enough, Tubby might be the best bet of the "bigtime" coaches people seem to want. All the scrutiny he's under at Kentucky, he might actually enjoy being ignored for awhile, but good luck buying out that contract, over 2 mil a year.

Turgeon seems to be our best bet. I don't know why some OU fans seem to think we're too high and mighty for a MVC coach. I'm pretty sure Turgeon's done alot more at WSU with alot less resources than Sampson had at OU- and I liked Sampson. For Turgeon to take a team that lost 3 4-year starters from last year and take them to an MVC championship and the Sweet 16...just imagine what he could do with the recruiting resources possible at a Big 12 school.

theshocker
4/7/2006, 04:05 PM
Weird things happen around that campus. One night after leaving a game we were going down 21st street to get on the highway and out of nowhere comes a guy dressed in all red that looks like he is a total thug riding a horse through the streets. First I thought, what did this guy do and where is he going. Then I thought where in the hell is he going to steal a horse in that area of town. I have a picture on my camera phone. I'll see if I can pull it off of there tonight and post it. It was so f ing funny.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 04:14 PM
Are you kidding me? Who do you think we are, we're not getting Calipari, Wright, or Few and Skinner's a long shot. Calipari and Wright both have great teams coming back at schools where the fans actually fill the arena and Few's a west-coast guy that won't take any job that's not a pac-10 school in the northwest. Does Skinner have some kind of connection to the midwest I don't know about? I'm pretty sure he's from the northeast and hasn't been elsewhere. Oddly enough, Tubby might be the best bet of the "bigtime" coaches people seem to want. All the scrutiny he's under at Kentucky, he might actually enjoy being ignored for awhile, but good luck buying out that contract, over 2 mil a year.

Turgeon seems to be our best bet. I don't know why some OU fans seem to think we're too high and mighty for a MVC coach. I'm pretty sure Turgeon's done alot more at WSU with alot less resources than Sampson had at OU- and I liked Sampson. For Turgeon to take a team that lost 3 4-year starters from last year and take them to an MVC championship and the Sweet 16...just imagine what he could do with the recruiting resources possible at a Big 12 school.

Wow. A big STFU to Showman on a first post! That is ballzy my friend.

I generally agree with you but my wishes are the same as Showman's. I'd like Joe C to make a run at some of the big names and to bring his checkbook with him. I thinK Turgeon would be a good hire but Sampson has been to the NCAA tourney 12 times (11 at OU), has a Final 4, an Elite 8, multiple conference tourney titles and has twice been National Coach of the Year. I agree Turgeon has accomplished a lot with less but at this point of his career, certainly not more.

My $ at this point is that Turgeon would be the next coach but Joe C is running a tight ship.

theshocker
4/7/2006, 04:21 PM
Report here is that Jim Schaus is expecting Turgeon to sign the extension here at WSU very soon.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 04:33 PM
Report here is that Jim Schaus is expecting Turgeon to sign the extension here at WSU very soon.

I guess that can only mean our next coach is Tubby Smith.:twinkies:

soonersin07
4/7/2006, 04:33 PM
yeah, i've just been reading for awhile now and finally got tired of hearing about how appealing the OU job is, it is the big 12 but its not one of the best 3 or 4 jobs in the big 12 in my opinion- at least not right now. i agree with you too, if joe c. can throw enough money at any of those 4 "bigtime" coaches to lure them away, then awesome. it's kind of a no-brainer to take one of them over Turgeon at this point, but i just don't see it happening.

i also agree with you that Sampson has done more than Turgeon at this point, but Turgeon is younger. I guess what I mean by that is that i think Turgeon has a higher ceiling of possibilities as a coach in the future. my only concern with him is recruiting. He's been an average recruiter thus far at WSU, but has relied on his coaching to win. I don't know that that would fly at OU- it could be argued that the Big 12 has the best collection of coaches of any conference (especially now with Huggins who i'm confident is gonna get Mitch Richmond caliber players at k-state and really fast, and Anderson who i really think will become an elite coach). having worked in a division I athletic department i've learned that assistant coaches have a far greater impact on recruiting than most people believe, if turgeon was able to snag a great recruiter or two, i think he could potentially build something great at OU.

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 04:39 PM

This reminds me of my "New coach to be announced!" thread.

The Consumate Showman
4/7/2006, 04:46 PM

Well, let's see what all three of these guys might have in common with the possibility of becoming OU's next coach....CA$$$$$$$$$H money!

I'm sorry, but in my life, I have always been about not settling for something when there is something else better out there. You miss my entire point jackass.

This is OU. We are a Good program. You follow so far? Now. We have this little thing called a football team that has been pretty prestigeous throughout the years and has literally bought us a lot of noterity over the past, ooooh, 60 years or so. OU merchandise sells are always at the top 5 or so of every major college list every year. Now, having said that, it is easy to infer if youo are Calipari, Few, Wright, or Skinner that if you come in right now, Joe C. is probably going to pay you right at $1.5 mil starting out, right? You following me here son?

Now. Let's look at, say, Coach Stoops for a sec. When he came in to OU, he took a pretty good pay raise from his old Fla job, right? Not a huge amount at first compared to what he's making now, but still, a good chunk of change. Now tell me Mr. smart guy, what happened at the end of the 2000 season when we were dancing in the streets of Miami? That's right!!!! Coach Stoops miraculously got a PAY RAISE!! A pretty BIG one if I remember right. And, there's no telling what his incentive bonuses were for winning the Big XII and NC on that contract.

Now do you see my point???? If one of the four aformentioned guys comes into OU and can go to the Final Four in the first 2-3 years here, which we probably should have this year and could be in good shape to the next 2-3 years, that coach, whoever he may be, will ALSO get a BIG pay raise. You see, when you win big at OU, we tend to like to pay the coach for it as to not lose him to the pros or another school.

Now, go back to your corner and finish off and come back in a couple days when your intelligence grows a little bit. Okay?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 04:52 PM
yeah, i've just been reading for awhile now and finally got tired of hearing about how appealing the OU job is, it is the big 12 but its not one of the best 3 or 4 jobs in the big 12 in my opinion- at least not right now. i agree with you too, if joe c. can throw enough money at any of those 4 "bigtime" coaches to lure them away, then awesome. it's kind of a no-brainer to take one of them over Turgeon at this point, but i just don't see it happening.

i also agree with you that Sampson has done more than Turgeon at this point, but Turgeon is younger. I guess what I mean by that is that i think Turgeon has a higher ceiling of possibilities as a coach in the future. my only concern with him is recruiting. He's been an average recruiter thus far at WSU, but has relied on his coaching to win. I don't know that that would fly at OU- it could be argued that the Big 12 has the best collection of coaches of any conference (especially now with Huggins who i'm confident is gonna get Mitch Richmond caliber players at k-state and really fast, and Anderson who i really think will become an elite coach). having worked in a division I athletic department i've learned that assistant coaches have a far greater impact on recruiting than most people believe, if turgeon was able to snag a great recruiter or two, i think he could potentially build something great at OU.

It is arguably the second best coaching job right now unless you factor in possibly NCAA sanctions hurting the program for the next year or 2. Hook 'em has a bigger budget but hoops is second fiddle there as well. There is good $$$ at OU, facilities other than LNC are first rate and a dynamite recruiting class is coming in. In no way, shape or form is MU or KSU a "better job". Huggins WILL win but he also has about a 40% chance of giving KSU Baylorlike sanctions. I'm not sold on Anderson. UAB beat some good teams but they also lost by 30 to UTEP. I'd buy them being dangerous. Once you remove the X-factor of NCAA sanctions whatever coach is next at OU is going to walk in to a pretty good situation. If that coach is someone like Calipari or Tubby Smith then there will be a lot less talk about Huggins and Anderson. If it is Turgeon I don't think the program is sunk but I think we will have a hard time duplicating the last 25 years. We will be a solid team.

Sooner_Bob
4/7/2006, 05:05 PM
your second clue about my response would have been the name 'aggie' for the person I responded to.

hey, I just dropped a little teasing on you and you got all serious.

Lighten up, read a little closer, and have some fun.

You know what you're problem is? You don't eat nearly enough tacos.

Vegas Sooner
4/7/2006, 05:12 PM
wsu sucks--there is no college life AT ALL!

Cam
4/7/2006, 06:40 PM
I kid you not...Mrs. THA was up in Wichita to WSU for a music conference. Anyone that doens't know about WSU, lets just say it's not in a nice part of town.
I had a very good friend killed 2 blocks from WSU in 1990 when race relations were pretty damn ugly in Wichita. His crime? He was a light skinned Mexican. Got a a large chunk of asphalt to the temple as he was driving down 21st. He was in a coma for 4 months and died 2 days after I finally got the nuts up to go see him in the hospital. Miss you Ray.

I was looking into a faculty position at WSU until this story was related to me... Wise choice my friend.

Cam
4/7/2006, 06:41 PM
wsu sucks--there is no college life AT ALL!
Commuter school. There are/were some very kick *** bars in the area though. Small, but still kick ***.

soonersin07
4/7/2006, 07:21 PM
Okay, first in response to the very irritable Showman (calling me "son" and explaining the obvious situations to me like you would a child doesn't make you any smarter, just makes you look like an ***):
So what you're saying is what OU has going for itself is the opportunity to give out alot of money, lets look at what the 4 coaches you mentioned are currently making...
Calipari- $1.5 million/year for 4 years, not to mention an arena less then 2 years old
Wright- http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14257721.htm
This article directly addresses the chances of Jay Wright leaving for OU, including a contract extention (also doesn't mention the $15 million dollar practice facility they're building at Villanova)
Skinner- i'll be honest, i don't know how much he makes and it's probably not as much as he could at OU but I do know he's from New York, played college ball in Massachusetts, and coached at Marist, Rhode Island, and Boston College, do you see a trend "son"?
Few- also definitely lower than what OU could offer, but comparable to what say Oregon could offer next year if Kent doesn't get his act together, or one of the several Pac-10 schools in the area. just don't see him leaving the northwest.

Of the 4, Skinner's the only one that I wouldn't be absolutely shocked to see leave, but I'd still be pretty surprised. MY POINT Showman is that to make a list like that saying that's the pecking order for the next OU coach is a bit ridiculous and unrealistic- and labeling hobbs and turgeon as "coaches of the hour" is ignorant.

Rockhard: of course I would factor in the sanctions, why would you not? and of course LNC is a big part of the basketball facilities, i don't think you could say a school has great facilities if you just ignore the arena they play in. it's not great, but it's not even really that bad- it's the atmosphere that makes it a disappointment also, i was not saying kstate or missouri is a better coaching job than ou in the previous post (though now that you mention it, i would take mizzou job over ou)- all i was saying was that there are 3 or 4 better jobs in the big 12 (kansas, texas, mizzou, a case could be made for iowa state or osu but i won't go as far as to say they are definitely better).

Big Red Ron
4/7/2006, 07:27 PM
Okay, first in response to the very irritable Showman (calling me "son" and explaining the obvious situations to me like you would a child doesn't make you any smarter, just makes you look like an ***):
So what you're saying is what OU has going for itself is the opportunity to give out alot of money, lets look at what the 4 coaches you mentioned are currently making...
Calipari- $1.5 million/year for 4 years, not to mention an arena less then 2 years old
Wright- http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14257721.htm
This article directly addresses the chances of Jay Wright leaving for OU, including a contract extention (also doesn't mention the $15 million dollar practice facility they're building at Villanova)
Skinner- i'll be honest, i don't know how much he makes and it's probably not as much as he could at OU but I do know he's from New York, played college ball in Massachusetts, and coached at Marist, Rhode Island, and Boston College, do you see a trend "son"?
Few- also definitely lower than what OU could offer, but comparable to what say Oregon could offer next year if Kent doesn't get his act together, or one of the several Pac-10 schools in the area. just don't see him leaving the northwest.

Of the 4, Skinner's the only one that I wouldn't be absolutely shocked to see leave, but I'd still be pretty surprised. MY POINT Showman is that to make a list like that saying that's the pecking order for the next OU coach is a bit ridiculous and unrealistic- and labeling hobbs and turgeon as "coaches of the hour" is ignorant.

Rockhard: of course I would factor in the sanctions, why would you not? and of course LNC is a big part of the basketball facilities, i don't think you could say a school has great facilities if you just ignore the arena they play in. it's not great, but it's not even really that bad- it's the atmosphere that makes it a disappointment also, i was not saying kstate or missouri is a better coaching job than ou in the previous post (though now that you mention it, i would take mizzou job over ou)- all i was saying was that there are 3 or 4 better jobs in the big 12 (kansas, texas, mizzou, a case could be made for iowa state or osu but i won't go as far as to say they are definitely better).Okay, I glanced at this divle and all I need to tell you is Kelvin Sampson made nearly two million a year, second of all we just spent about 20 million on Basketball facility upgrades about two years ago and we can afford to pay more than two million even 2.5 for the right guy. Carry on small timer.

oumartin
4/7/2006, 07:40 PM
are we gonna have to bump stoops up to 3.5 mil to get a bball coach over the 2.0 million mark?

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2006, 08:30 PM
I have nothing to add - just wanted to try out my new sig line from the Brasky thread that was locked.

oumartin
4/7/2006, 08:33 PM
you're a tard you know! :D

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2006, 08:39 PM
yes...I know.

But I like the company, so I visit this board. :D

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 09:16 PM
I have nothing to add - just wanted to try out my new sig line from the Brasky thread that was locked.

I am honored Newbomb. :twinkies:

There may be some breaking news over the weekend. :D

Stay Tuned.

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2006, 09:33 PM
I think I'll keep this sig line until a coach is named. I know that will be SOON! :D

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 09:41 PM
I think I'll keep this sig line until a coach is named. I know that will be SOON! :D

Very soon!

Right now we are closer to the announcement than we have ever been.

:twinkies:

WTF do these twinkies mean?

Newbomb Turk
4/7/2006, 09:43 PM

WTF do these twinkies mean?

they mean Twinkies are good.

oumartin
4/7/2006, 09:45 PM
I've got two twinkies in my lunch box as a matter of fact. they are my food for the night

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 09:48 PM
Twinkies are good. I agree.

Is it like you're offering someone some twinkies to eat just to be nice?

william_brasky
4/7/2006, 09:51 PM

The Consumate Showman
4/7/2006, 10:40 PM
MY POINT Showman is that to make a list like that saying that's the pecking order for the next OU coach is a bit ridiculous and unrealistic- and labeling hobbs and turgeon as "coaches of the hour" is ignorant.

Since you're new here "son", I'll put it this way. I wouldn't want my first impressions on this board to be that I come out and attack people for what they think. It actually makes you look more like the idiot for calling my so-called pecking order pointless. I love this University and want the BEST for it, not to settle on someone not yet as proven as maybe someone else. Sometimes it works to hire a guy like Turgeon and if we can't get an older more proven coach, I hope Turgeon or Hobbs is the first two mid-major guys we contact. But, sometimes a guy like Turgeon comes into a high pressure job like OU and flounders. Having said that....

I think OU is a big enough job that #1 - We can offer some serious cash to a seriously big time coach and that #2 - OU is a good enough job for a coach to be lured away from his prospective school. OU is not a slouch team. We have underachieved the last few years, granted; but the right coach can turn this thing around in a big way...QUICKLY. I think that in order to do that, we need to not hire a smaller school coach like Turgeon. How much talk was Turgeon involved in the last few years when jobs were coming open. He is a "coach of the hour" because he experienced some good success in this years tourney and suddenly people start thinking maybe he's the next big thing. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I would like to see another year out of him before we start trying to give him a prestegious job. I happen to be of the mind that OU is worth leaving a school like Gonzaga or BC. I'll agree that Calipari and Wright would have to have the right "persuasions" thrown at them to come our way, but it's not entirely impossible. Hobbs has been a good coach for a good while at GW, but he struggled late this year in a pretty weak conference with some good talent on his team.

Anyway, I'm tired of typing, so let's end this stupid shiat and move on. I hope for Skinner hopefully while you wait for a younger Turgeon, NTTATWWT, but I feel we may be both wrong. BBJ just reported that Georgia officials are reporting that there has apparently been some talk about Joe C. and one of the coaches in state....Hewitt may be our man....

theshocker
4/8/2006, 01:52 AM
showman....i do agree with most of your points. but your being a little hard on turgeon. you say no schools have been interested in him the last few years. i thought i would let you know that KU was interested in talking with him after roy left. he took his name out of the running immediately for two reasons. 1) why would anyone want to follow roy williams in kansas and 2) he is raising a young family and wanted to stay put where his family was comfortable. i'm not saying he would have got that job, but there was interest. this is probably the biggest issue that will determine if he goes to OU or not. he has stated many times that he doesn't want to continue to move his family around. you better believe that if that kansas job opens up again, he will be there in a heart beat. he's from topeka and his family is still there. it's only a matter of time before he ends up there. it could be as early as next year if bill self can't get out of the first round. they are ready to run self out of lawrence like OU fans did to Sampson

The Consumate Showman
4/8/2006, 07:57 AM
Well Shocker, maybe I am being a little hard on Turgeon, BUT...he is a young coach. With a young coach comes a lot of advantage and disadvantages. He would probably bring a more excitable style of ball to Norman no doubt. Kids would probably like a "younger" coach, too. But, there's always that phrase, "What have you done for me lately?" I just think that Turgeon needs another couple years of solid play at Wich. State and he should be off and running for a big time job. Right now I think you might still have a couple of question marks about him. Can he handle the pressure and is he going to be a flight risk for a job, like you said, like Kansas. I don't think Joe wants to hire a guy that would leave OU in a heartbeat if another Big XII job came open.

That's the beauty of hiring a "bigger name" coach. If we hire, say, my favorite candidate, Jay Wright, he could very EASILY come in to OU and take us to the final four in a couple of years time, maybe less. Yes, I like him as a coach and think he can get the job done here. But the beauty of a guy like him is that he's not going to leave for Kansas or Texas. The only thing he might leave early for would be a hot in the NBA, which I would be okay with as long as he delivered us at least 1 Final Four. A guy like Turgeon , on the other hand, might use OU as a stepping stone to Kansas, but seriously, I HIGHLY doubt Self is going anywhere any time soon. KU will be scary good this coming year. Mark it down.

Vegas Sooner
4/8/2006, 07:21 PM
Wichita sucks---thats why I am afraid we will settle on turd. They love the BTK

wrestlerdad
4/10/2006, 10:49 AM
This guy is full of BS I live in Wichita and have ben following this and there is no news station in Wichita reporting anything except wondering why OU or WSU ist being so silent. The sports radio guys here believe that after the Sweet 16 celebration at WSU tonight, the next time they will see Turgen is in Norman

GDC
4/10/2006, 10:53 AM
I like the deep-fried Twinkies at the state fair.

wrestlerdad
4/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Vegas Sooner whats with the Wichita sucks stuff. Wichita is a nice town with a lot of Sooner fans we love sporting our sooner pride and giving the Shocker fans a hard time but we respect the Shockers. Turgen is a very good coach and the Valley is a strong Basketball Conference. And the BTK talk is out of line that was a horrible time in the City that affected many people.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/10/2006, 11:03 AM
Vegas Sooner whats with the Wichita sucks stuff. Wichita is a nice town with a lot of Sooner fans we love sporting our sooner pride and giving the Shocker fans a hard time but we respect the Shockers. Turgen is a very good coach and the Valley is a strong Basketball Conference. And the BTK talk is out of line that was a horrible time in the City that affected many people.

Well I do know 3 people that have lived in Wichita and 2 of the 3 have had their car shot (both while driving in Wichita) so Wichita is not high on my list of places I want to live but there are worse places. Not that it has much to do with Turgeon and WSU.

GottaHavePride
4/10/2006, 11:34 AM
Well I do know 3 people that have lived in Wichita and 2 of the 3 have had their car shot (both while driving in Wichita) so Wichita is not high on my list of places I want to live but there are worse places. Not that it has much to do with Turgeon and WSU.

They were probably driving over by 17th and Hillside, right? Formerly the highest-crime intersection in the city, although luckily right next to the hospital. Most of Wichita is very nice, if not downright boring.

WSU just happens to be near some of the absolute ****tiest neighborhoods in Wichita.

CobraKai
4/10/2006, 05:40 PM
How is Texas an obviously better job (unless you ignore everything except the last 5 years)?

Texas is NOT a better job than Oklahoma in basketball. They have a great coach, and have some really solid success, but to say that a team that barely fielded a basketball team before Barnes arrived is now a better job...that is silly IMO. Put it another way...until Barnes arrived 10 out of 10 people would have said OU was a better job. Period. No question. Since Barnes arrived we are about even in the series, we have both been to a Final 4 and an Elite 8, we have won more Big 12 tourneys, they have won more outright titles, etc. But they are far from being a better job. They just have a better team than us right now.

Harry Beanbag
4/10/2006, 09:32 PM
How is Texas an obviously better job (unless you ignore everything except the last 5 years)?

Texas is NOT a better job than Oklahoma in basketball. They have a great coach, and have some really solid success, but to say that a team that barely fielded a basketball team before Barnes arrived is now a better job...that is silly IMO. Put it another way...until Barnes arrived 10 out of 10 people would have said OU was a better job. Period. No question. Since Barnes arrived we are about even in the series, we have both been to a Final 4 and an Elite 8, we have won more Big 12 tourneys, they have won more outright titles, etc. But they are far from being a better job. They just have a better team than us right now.

Yeah, but "They're Texas", and they have more money in their endowment fund. :rolleyes:

Ruprecht
4/10/2006, 11:03 PM
Like all message boards, this one has more than its share of both witty posters and complete idiots.

Lots of talk here about OU not being a stepping stone and shots at WSU as if that is all that it is---all evidence to the contrary on both counts.

It appears that the OU coach is the one that left for greener pastures and it seems pretty obvious that the OU job doesn't have the college basketball world clammoring for a shot.

Is it just possible that the WSU job is a bit better than some of the posters here think and that the OU job is something less than what some of you want to believe?

No matter who you sign, that coach won't have anything on Mark Turgeon---as a player (Final Four experience) a coach (College and NBA) or a person. If you think that Turgeon didn't get everyone's attention and wasn't in the running for big time jobs, you either have not been paying attention or you have your head in the red dirt.

picasso
4/11/2006, 01:25 AM
Turgeon's a prick.