PDA

View Full Version : Golfing

royalfan5
4/6/2006, 03:59 PM
So I am going to pick my clubs up for the first time in five years to golf in out Student Ag-business tourney. The golf course borders a major street in Lincoln, last time I golfed there I hit a moving vehicle. Anyway what are some basic golf tips that would help me avoid completely embarrising myself. TIA

sooneron
4/6/2006, 04:02 PM
Don't go.

royalfan5
4/6/2006, 04:03 PM
Don't go.
There will be booze and a decent looking ratio of attractive women to men. I don't think I can afford not to go.

sooneron
4/6/2006, 04:04 PM
Seriously, I am no Eldrick myself, but I see too many people "endangering" others and myself by heading out there and not having been to the range any time recently.

Swing easy and follow through. Take more club if you're in doubt and let gravity do the work at the top of your backswing.

OU Adonis
4/6/2006, 04:05 PM
I bought a set of starter clubs last year in hopes of getting into golf. Never went even 9 rounds, and only spent about 5-6 times at the driving range. :(

sooneron
4/6/2006, 04:05 PM
Oh yeah, and head still!

royalfan5
4/6/2006, 04:06 PM
Seriously, I am no Eldrick myself, but I see too many people "endangering" others and myself by heading out there and not having been to the range any time recently.

Swing easy and follow through. Take more club if you're in doubt and let gravity do the work at the top of your backswing.
When I last golfed I had intermitted bouts of decent play, mixed in with having no idea where the ball is going. I think I am going to go out a couple times before hand if I can work in the time.

sooneron
4/6/2006, 04:07 PM
Any average to poor golfer should be at the range 2 times (at least) for every round.

Lessons are a good accessory to starter clubs.

Scott D
4/6/2006, 04:07 PM
So I am going to pick my clubs up for the first time in five years to golf in out Student Ag-business tourney. The golf course borders a major street in Lincoln, last time I golfed there I hit a moving vehicle. Anyway what are some basic golf tips that would help me avoid completely embarrising myself. TIA

driving range...a couple of hours a day until that day comes. It's likely that your arms and shoulders will be sore those first couple of days, but the repetition will wear that off soon enough.

handcrafted
4/6/2006, 04:36 PM
Keep your head down and your eye on the ball. Seriously. Don't even think about looking up until your follow through is done.

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 04:59 PM
Anyway what are some basic golf tips that would help me avoid completely embarrising myself. TIA

Be the ball.

Cam
4/6/2006, 08:26 PM
Grip it and rip it.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:28 PM
Keep your hands on your own balls.

Stanley1
4/6/2006, 10:34 PM
Swing easy and follow through.

Don't swing easy. Don't over-swing, but take a full swing. I used to "shorten up" cause I couldn't hit it straight, and that just made it worse.

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 11:00 PM
Chain smoke like John Daly.

You'll be surprised at how fast you finish your round.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2006, 11:34 PM
Take along Hairy and Pat to distract everyone with their shenanigans, so they don't notice your incompetence. It worked for me. :D

oumartin
4/7/2006, 12:35 AM
its very important to try and kill the ball. a nice, smooth & easy swing are over-rated and for losers

GottaHavePride
4/7/2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, and swing the club like a baseball bat. That works great.

oumartin
4/7/2006, 01:07 AM
YEAH, 10 finger grip!
oh, and if you see any hot women playing golf don't try to hit on them. They're not interested unless you're a woman

OUTromBoNado
4/7/2006, 02:37 AM
On a side note, in 2009, they are having the U.S. Amateur Public Links at Jimmie Austin in Norman. The winner qualifies for the Masters.

BoogercountySooner
4/7/2006, 05:43 AM
Don't Clean your balls to much!

Write Bill Clinton on your Golfballs, this could get you off the hook if you hit said moving vehicle!

jk the sooner fan
4/7/2006, 07:10 AM
i'm playing hooky from work today, headed out to Coyote Ridge....

Howzit
4/7/2006, 08:30 AM
royalfan, 7-iron and putter. I's all you'll need.

And at the end you'll remember why you quit golfing in the first place.

Mjcpr
4/7/2006, 08:31 AM
I know somebody that shot a 167 (no, it wasn't me). We hardly ever laugh about it so you're probably good, royal.

:D

Howzit
4/7/2006, 08:32 AM
I know somebody that shot a 167 (no, it wasn't me). We hardly ever laugh about it so you're probably good, royal.

:D

jk said he wouldn't tell!!!!

:mad: