PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma's new BBall Coach

theshocker
4/6/2006, 11:22 AM
For all of you in Oklahoma who are wondering when your coach is going to be named, I don't think you are going to hear anything until next Tuesday. I believe that Mark Turgeon is your new coach and has already accepted the position. He has a huge event here on Monday that would be very awkward for him to walk out on. I believe after that event he will make the announcement that he has accepted the position. Our assistant coach Tad Boyle, has taken his name out of the running for the position at Northern Colorado. This only makes a stronger case that Turgeon is going to OU. If Turgeon was leaving then Tad was interested in being the successor here in Wichita. I can tell you one thing about Mark Turgeon, he will have Norman rocking and you will notice a difference in the atmosphere very soon if he is coming. Don't be a hater. Be proud that you may be getting a good coach that 500,000 people up in Wichita will be disappointed to see leave.

oumartin
4/6/2006, 11:31 AM
thanks for your input.. I'm sure we would be a fine hire but not necessarily the home run people are expecting. we shall wait and see if you are correct.

Newbomb Turk
4/6/2006, 11:34 AM
single up the middle.

OUGreg723
4/6/2006, 12:32 PM
I will be content with MR. T

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 12:45 PM
For all of you in Oklahoma who are wondering when your coach is going to be named, I don't think you are going to hear anything until next Tuesday. I believe that Mark Turgeon is your new coach and has already accepted the position. He has a huge event here on Monday that would be very awkward for him to walk out on. I believe after that event he will make the announcement that he has accepted the position. Our assistant coach Tad Boyle, has taken his name out of the running for the position at Northern Colorado. This only makes a stronger case that Turgeon is going to OU. If Turgeon was leaving then Tad was interested in being the successor here in Wichita. I can tell you one thing about Mark Turgeon, he will have Norman rocking and you will notice a difference in the atmosphere very soon if he is coming. Don't be a hater. Be proud that you may be getting a good coach that 500,000 people up in Wichita will be disappointed to see leave.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Turgeon as a HC. It neither excites, nor depresses me. I think he has done a very good at WSU and I think he is a "solid" hire at OU. His style probably works best with the personnel we have. What I wanted, and I think many others was for Joe C to make a home run hire like Calipari, Hobbs or Wright. We could certainly do I lot worse but I think it is a lot more like a double.

I think by and large if Turgeon is our new coach he will get support. I think that it is at least a slight step back from our last 2 coaches and frankly we've been spoiled the last 25 years.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 12:55 PM
IMO Turgeon would be a nice hire.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 12:56 PM
single up the middle.

I'd call it a double to the left-center gap.

boomersooner28
4/6/2006, 12:57 PM
Homerun, no. BUT, I would be suffice with Turgeon. Can't wait to hear what Mr. Eschback has to say about this.

Norman Sooner
4/6/2006, 12:59 PM
I dont know what i call it, but its better than brasky playing with my emotions like he did the other day....

Crimsontothecore
4/6/2006, 01:02 PM
So what is Sampson to Indiana? Foul ball?

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 01:06 PM
I dont know what i call it, but its better than brasky playing with my emotions like he did the other day....

:D

Sorry?

Half a Hundred
4/6/2006, 01:06 PM
So what is Sampson to Indiana? Foul ball?

No, I think it's more like A-Rod slapping the ball out of that first baseman's hand.

sooneron
4/6/2006, 01:10 PM
I will be content with 20+ wins and occaisional success in the NCAA.

Oh wait a tic!

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 01:12 PM
theshocker is right about the Monday event.

about halfway down on http://www.goshockers.com/

Basketball Postseason Celebrations
Men's Basketball Celebration- April 10th, Free Sweet 16 posters for the first 5,000 fans
Women's Banquet- April 8th

Men's Basketball
Wichita State's annual celebration event to end the 2005-2006 season has been set for Monday, April 10th at Charles Koch Arena.

Help Wichita State and the Wichita community celebrate the Shockers' 2006 Sweet 16 appearance, its best record since 1981, the 2006 Valley regular-season title, Mark Turgeon's Valley Coach of the Year honor, as well as several individual players honors.

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. A meet and greet with the coaches and players will begin at 6:30 p.m., and the program, including a highlight video, will begin at 7 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. The souvenir shop and concession stands will be open during the celebration.

Women's Basketball
The Wichita State women's basketball program will host its annual postseason banquet at 5 p.m., Sat., April 8 inside Charles Koch Arena on Devlin Court.

Cost for the dinner is $20 for adults and $13 for kids ages 2-12. Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston will be the featured guest speaker Head coach Jane Albright will speak to the audience about the season, the team will honor its award winners and the postseason video will be shown as well.

Fans can contact the Shocker Ticket Office at 316-978-3267 for more information or to make reservations.

does this mean that Turgeon will be announced shortly thereafter?

Stay Tuned. Brasky's got you covered.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 01:23 PM
I think that it is at least a slight step back from our last 2 coaches and frankly we've been spoiled the last 25 years.

I disagree RHCF. Turgeon is all about basketball and player development. Remember him as a player? He was solid. A very smart and fundamental team player. Those kinds of players make great coaches.

Wichita State made the Sweet 16. Wichita State. And Turgeon led them.

crawfish
4/6/2006, 01:37 PM
He would be a stronger hire than Kelvin was.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 01:43 PM
I disagree RHCF. Turgeon is all about basketball and player development. Remember him as a player? He was solid. A very smart and fundamental team player. Those kinds of players make great coaches.

Wichita State made the Sweet 16. Wichita State. And Turgeon led them.

I was young but I remember not liking him when he played for KU. He was definitely a smart player.

I think he is solid x and o guy. I'm concerned with recruiting after this year and I know that he coached under Brown and Williams at KU but I don't think his style is not all the different from KS, not that it is a problem. I think Tennessee was the shakiest #2 seed in the history of forever but WSU did have a very good team this year. I just don't see Turgeon having as much long term success as Tubbs or Sampson. Not to mean that as an indictment of Turgeon. If he is our guy I'll certainly support him.

I'm still holding out for Calipari right now.

soonervegas
4/6/2006, 01:52 PM
I don't care is Carrottop is named the next coach. Let's just get to the Sweet 16 4-5 times every 10 years and I will be a happy camper.

But I think we can all agree we will NOT be getting a big name at this point.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 01:56 PM
He would be a stronger hire than Kelvin was.

Indeed.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think his style is not all the different from KS

I disagree.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2006, 02:06 PM
Turgeon's teams at WSU seem to play smart ball, and win a lot of games on fundamentals that you maybe wouldn't expect them to. (see this year's tourney.) I'd be interested to see what he would do with the athletes we have here if he gets the job.

Oh, and he's way, WAY better at attracting a fanbase then Kelvin. Before Turgeon showed up in Wichita, no one went to WSU games, either. Now they have a renovated stadium and big crowds.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 02:13 PM
Turgeon's teams at WSU seem to play smart ball, and win a lot of games on fundamentals that you maybe wouldn't expect them to. (see this year's tourney.) I'd be interested to see what he would do with the athletes we have here if he gets the job.

Oh, and he's way, WAY better at attracting a fanbase then Kelvin. Before Turgeon showed up in Wichita, no one went to WSU games, either. Now they have a renovated stadium and big crowds.

the one big thing I noticed (I only saw a few Shocker games) was their offensive floor spacing. KS's teams were always bunched up near the lane. Wichita State seemed to be spread out much more creating driving lanes and room for their post men to maneuver.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 03:00 PM
the one big thing I noticed (I only saw a few Shocker games) was their offensive floor spacing. KS's teams were always bunched up near the lane. Wichita State seemed to be spread out much more creating driving lanes and room for their post men to maneuver.

By style more like KS I meant that Wichita State was more of a halfcourt tempo team then a team like Roy Williams had (who Turgeon coached under) where after a made basket the ball is inbounded immediately and pushed up the floor for early offense. Plus quite a few of their games were played in the 50's, low 60's. I don't have a problem with it and I can't argue with his success and the fact that WSU had good attendance (although they don't have a lot of options). If it works I'm fine with it but I wonder if the anti-KS crowd would make the distinction.

Newbomb Turk
4/6/2006, 03:05 PM
I'd call it a double to the left-center gap.

OK - I'll buy that. But I think it's a slide into 2nd base - not a stand-up double.

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:14 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 03:29 PM
By style more like KS I meant that Wichita State was more of a halfcourt tempo team then a team like Roy Williams had (who Turgeon coached under) where after a made basket the ball is inbounded immediately and pushed up the floor for early offense. Plus quite a few of their games were played in the 50's, low 60's. I don't have a problem with it and I can't argue with his success and the fact that WSU had good attendance (although they don't have a lot of options). If it works I'm fine with it but I wonder if the anti-KS crowd would make the distinction.

I would bet that Turgeon would like to push the ball and be in attack mode if that would be a strength of the personnel. Jeez, I'm starting to sound like KS. ;)

He did assist under Roy and played and assisted under Brown (was an assistant when they beat us in '88, so there's a strike against him in my book ;) ). Those coaches like to get up and down the floor. I would think Turgeon would too.

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 03:32 PM
OK - I'll buy that. But I think it's a slide into 2nd base - not a stand-up double.

Still a double. And you get your Uni dirty.

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:33 PM
NO TURGEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUstud
4/6/2006, 03:37 PM
OK, I shared Vegas' attitude at first about this, but the more I read it, and the more that I realize he is an energetic, young coach who would "get Norman rocking" and that he has a spread out offense, the more excited I am. WTH, go for Turgeon!

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:44 PM
OK, I shared Vegas' attitude at first about this, but the more I read it, and the more that I realize he is an energetic, young coach who would "get Norman rocking" and that he has a spread out offense, the more excited I am. WTH, go for Turgeon!

.....Dont do it!...Dont listen to them!

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 03:46 PM
Who do you want as new coach Vegas?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 03:49 PM

He (Turgeon, not Vegas) reminds me a little bit of that sidekick that got picked on in Baseketball.

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:50 PM
1-Wright
2-Skinner

william_brasky
4/6/2006, 03:54 PM
I like both of those guys Vegas, but I don't think they'd leave their situations.

OUstud
4/6/2006, 04:53 PM
He (Turgeon, not Vegas) reminds me a little bit of that sidekick that got picked on in Baseketball.

Squeak "Little B*tch" Scholari? Red flag. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 04:58 PM
Squeak "Little B*tch" Scholari? Red flag. :D

That's him. If we don't win the NC then maybe we can win the Denslo Cup.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/7/2006, 07:53 AM
My take, no one heard of Tubbs at Lamar before he came to OU
No one heard of Sampson at WSU before he came to Norman...

Why should everyone expect to land a BIG name to come to OU...I would not necessarily call OU a 1st tier program, a bottom 1 or a top 2 IMO. We just have too much football on the mind. Look at the people posting in the threads, even in off season, the football board has more readers...

Any way, I am not familiar with Turgeon, what is his style of play and what are his teams like? TIA!