PDA

View Full Version : See? This is why guys should not to go to baby showers.

Howzit
4/6/2006, 07:59 AM
Someone will get shot, and the guest of honor will be beaten with a stick. (http://Someone will get shot, and the guest of honor will get beaten with a stick.)

Pregnant woman beaten at baby shower

Police: Fight escalated over whether woman gave 5-year-old beer

Wednesday, April 5, 2006; Posted: 6:00 p.m. EDT (22:00 GMT)

SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- An argument at a baby shower escalated into a brawl in which one man was shot and the pregnant guest of honor was beaten with a stick, police said.

Three people were arrested after the fight, described by police as a "baby shower gone bad."

Authorities said the shooting victim, Aristotle Garcia, got into a fight with a man who is dating his ex-girlfriend. The argument, over whether the woman let their 5-year-old daughter drink beer, escalated and drew in two other people -- Jazz Rivas and Juan Velazquez, said Police Lt. Cheryl C. Claprood.

When the baby shower's hostess tried to intervene, Rivas began hitting some of the guests, including the 22-year-old mother-to-be, with a large stick, she said.

Velazquez fired a gun in the air, then fired it into the crowd, hitting Garcia in the stomach, according to police. Garcia, 26, was in stable condition at Baystate Medical Center. The mother-to-be, who was seven months pregnant, was treated after the incident Saturday and released.

Velazquez, 19, was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday and was ordered held on $100,000 bail.

The man Garcia was initially fighting with, Antonio Santiago, 25, pleaded not guilty to similar charges Tuesday and was ordered held on $50,000 bail.

Rivas, 22, pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and one count of assault and battery on a pregnant female. His bail was set at $10,000.

GDC
4/6/2006, 08:07 AM
dang

Norm In Norman
4/6/2006, 08:20 AM
Ah yes - beaten with a stick.

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 08:30 AM
I went to one Sunday and was actually a little disappointed there was no mayhem, shootings and beatings.

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 08:32 AM
beer makes every occasion "good times".

4/6/2006, 08:32 AM
Did they play any silly party games?

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:35 AM
5 year olds got a lot of stress and need to relax. Get hammered, live a little

Beef
4/6/2006, 08:44 AM
Police showed up at a baby shower my friends and I threw. But it was just because it was 2 AM and we were being loud. The mother to be was still having a good time.

4/6/2006, 08:45 AM
I'll bet everyone was on the edge of their seat when they began counting limbs, fingers and toes.

mrowl
4/6/2006, 10:11 AM
I really hate couples showers. I told a best friend that I was going to be out of town during theirs. Stupid idea.

C&CDean
4/6/2006, 10:15 AM
WTF?

I have never even heard of a guy going to a baby or wedding shower. Some of you guys have actually been to one? Wow. I'd sooner crawl on broken glass and thumbtacks on my bare knees than go to a freaking shower. I've never even been invited, and would never consider going if I was.

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 10:20 AM
This story has the best names ever!

Aristotle Garcia
Jazz Rivas
Cheryl C. Claprood

Why can't all news stories have names like that? It would make things a lot more interesting. Hell, I bet even CSPAN would be watchable with names like Aristotle Claprood.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 10:41 AM
WTF?

I have never even heard of a guy going to a baby or wedding shower. Some of you guys have actually been to one? Wow. I'd sooner crawl on broken glass and thumbtacks on my bare knees than go to a freaking shower. I've never even been invited, and would never consider going if I was.

I wish I had that option. I hate those things with an unholy passion. Being stuck in a room with 30 women makes my skin crawl. But sometimes I'm... y'know... socially obligated and whatnot.

Don't get me started on dudes who participate in "couples showers."

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 10:42 AM
I really want to hear this one.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 10:44 AM
It almost rhymes with "Hussy Stripped."

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/6/2006, 10:47 AM
I wish I had that option. I hate those things with an unholy passion. Being stuck in a room with 30 women makes my skin crawl. But sometimes I'm... y'know... socially obligated and whatnot.

OMG - word.

Sometimes, I only go because of those little melty mints. I love those things.

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 10:49 AM
I went to my cousin's. I was guilted by family into going, but it really wasn't that bad. I don't remember much, though. Maybe I blacked out.

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 10:51 AM
This story has the best names ever!

Aristotle Garcia
Jazz Rivas
Cheryl C. Claprood

Why can't all news stories have names like that? It would make things a lot more interesting. Hell, I bet even CSPAN would be watchable with names like Aristotle Claprood.

Yeah, frikkin Irish troublemakers!

But seriously, folks, I am not surprised. In some quarters, assaults, batteries, mayhem, and murder occur with astonishing regularity at kids' birthday parties where the adults are boozing up. Of course, there are also usually some unconventional family arrangements at work -- like dads and moms not married (to each other, anyway), unsettled paternity issues, and more "fiancees," paramours, concubines, "inlaws" and "uncles" than ol' Rivas could swing his stick at.

OUDoc
4/6/2006, 10:51 AM
I'd sooner crawl on broken glass and thumbtacks on my bare knees than go to a freaking shower.
Had that been an option, I wouldn't have gone. :(

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 10:52 AM
Why would any guy want to go watch another guy open up a fondue pot or a blender? It's just so... I can't think of a better word than "ghey."

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 10:55 AM
Why would any guy want to go watch another guy open up a fondue pot or a blender? It's just so... I can't think of a better word than "ghey."

Does the blender come with margaritas? Does the fondue pot come with melted chocolate?

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 10:56 AM

Fondue pot
Blender

Damn, I wish someone would have given us those gifts.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 10:56 AM

Don't get me started on dudes who participate in "couples showers."I hate baby showers with a passion. Who the hell wants to play stupid games like guessing how big the momma's belly is. The best baby shower I ever attended was held at a bar where everyone besides the baby momma was drinking.

I also hate bridal showers where people feel compelled to pass around every toaster and towel set brought as gifts.

I would much rather attend a bachelorette party/personal shower. They usually involve liquor and are much more fun.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 10:58 AM
Why would any guy want to go watch another guy open up a fondue pot or a blender? It's just so... I can't think of a better word than "ghey."If it's a couple shower that is really like a party celebrating the upcoming wedding, and there is a cookout and booze involved, then I can see where it is fun.

Beef
4/6/2006, 10:58 AM
I always get invited to couples showers. Since I'm single, I'm pretty upfront and tell them I'm going to the bar to try to find a hawt, drunk, slutty chick. Thanks anyway.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 11:01 AM
OMG - word.

Sometimes, I only go because of those little melty mints. I love those things.

Yeah... I'm on board for melty mints too. I also give brownie points if the hostess makes the punch that's made with rasberry sherbet and 7-Up, as well as the strawberry dip made with cream cheese and marshmallow cream. Ummm. Good eats.

BSG and I can just make a plate and go hide in the bathroom.

4/6/2006, 11:01 AM
It's just so... I can't think of a better word than "ghey."

Ghey enough to clog a toilet.

Not sure what that means, but that's exactly how ghey it is.

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 11:02 AM
BSG and I can just make a plate and go hide in the bathroom.

Then what?

I mean, go on....

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 11:03 AM
BSG and VK,

Promise me that when I get married you won't host a lameass shower for me, ok? There will be no silly party games.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 11:12 AM
If it's a couple shower that is really like a party celebrating the upcoming wedding, and there is a cookout and booze involved, then I can see where it is fun.

They get the rehearsal dinner. They get the ceremony. They get the reception. They probably get some goddamned brunch the next day.

THEY DON'T NEED ANOTHER ****ING PARTY TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW ****ING HAPPY THEY ARE.

leavingthezoo
4/6/2006, 11:20 AM
i bet he thought if he swung hard enough, there might have been candy. like in a pinata.

(crazy, crazy world)

Pricetag
4/6/2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, frikkin Irish troublemakers!

But seriously, folks, I am not surprised. In some quarters, assaults, batteries, mayhem, and murder occur with astonishing regularity at kids' birthday parties where the adults are boozing up. Of course, there are also usually some unconventional family arrangements at work -- like dads and moms not married (to each other, anyway), unsettled paternity issues, and more "fiancees," paramours, concubines, "inlaws" and "uncles" than ol' Rivas could swing his stick at.
Hillbilly heaven!

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 11:26 AM
The one I went to on Sunday...I just wanted it to be over with. But, I know the people real well, and felt obligated.

Mrs. VJ does not understand why I am loathe to go to these events. Fortunately, most of the people we know are at the tail end of baby producing, so maybe there won't be too many more for a while.

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 11:28 AM
Okie shower: "the punch that's made with rasberry sherbet and 7-Up"
Coon@ss shower: A case of Bud Light and a box of wine
(Not that I've been to one; I just know)

1stTimeCaller
4/6/2006, 11:32 AM
If it's a couple shower that is really like a party celebrating the upcoming wedding, and there is a cookout and booze involved, then I can see where it is fun.

they can be but the couple getting married needs to let their friends know that their parents and their parents friends will be there and that they open the gifts in front of everyone....

Taxman71
4/6/2006, 12:06 PM
They get the rehearsal dinner. They get the ceremony. They get the reception. They probably get some goddamned brunch the next day.

THEY DON'T NEED ANOTHER ****ING PARTY TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW ****ING HAPPY THEY ARE.

In all fairness, that happiness may not last much longer. They should enjoy while they can.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 12:35 PM
Sounds to me like SBSB will attend about any function with booze.:D

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 01:01 PM
they can be but the couple getting married needs to let their friends know that their parents and their parents friends will be there and that they open the gifts in front of everyone....

Spill.

1stTimeCaller
4/6/2006, 01:23 PM
I went to my very first couple shower thingy in Ardmore a few years ago. The groom's dad is a judge, there were some of the high society folks in Ardmore there. I thought it was just gonna be friends of theirs that are our age. I brought three gifts. One on his list, one from hers and a little S&M starter kit thingy from Christie's Toy Box. There was a mad scramble when they made the announcement that the bride to be was going to start opening gifts. It worked out and I had to 'splain to the lady in charge of handing the gifts to the bride why I needed to remove one of the gifts. Poor lady.

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 01:30 PM
Aww... your stories suck like VK's. Make it spicier!

TexasLidig8r
4/6/2006, 01:48 PM
Even I won't go to a baby or couples shower...

(unless of course, I caused the baby!) :D

4/6/2006, 01:55 PM
Like THAT'S gonna happen.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 02:17 PM
Like THAT'S gonna happen.
http://www.davidgoldmanagency.com/goldman%20artwork/gld_art/nishan/NA=DGA-2%20Folder/HomeRun.jpg

4/6/2006, 02:29 PM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aabb020.gif

TexasLidig8r
4/6/2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.littlereaderbooks.com/images/t-ball%2001.jpg