PDA

View Full Version : Best Poor Man's food

soonerhubs
4/6/2006, 12:06 AM
I'm thinking this is a good thread since I'm chowing down on some Beanie-Weanies.

I also like Chili-Mac.
Any other favorites?

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 12:09 AM
frozen burritos

they're a little rough on the GI tract

picasso
4/6/2006, 12:10 AM
hot dogs, pop tarts, pb & j (gotta have milk).

yermom
4/6/2006, 12:11 AM
i've rediscovered PB&J lately

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 12:11 AM
Ramen

yermom
4/6/2006, 12:13 AM
i've never had to sink that low

IronSooner
4/6/2006, 12:22 AM
PB&J rawks. I always use different flavored jelly though, not grape.

Ramen goes well in those skillet sensations if you don't put the flavoring in it. I think it's the potroast one I use...toss in some ramen and it's a solid meal for $6.

I just discovered how cheap and fat-free blackeyed peas are. Good eats there.

Jimminy Crimson
4/6/2006, 12:25 AM
Chicken in a Biskit!

Bacon is good stuff. It works for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. :D

bigdsooner
4/6/2006, 12:28 AM
tuna surprise
tuna, croissants and creme cheese. put the tuna & creme cheese in croissants, heat in the oven for 10 minutes or so

goes great with tea, mt dew or beer

Jimminy Crimson
4/6/2006, 12:31 AM
A brick of cream cheese, pour salsa on top, tortilla chips to dip.

Doesn't get much better than that! :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 01:13 AM
PB&J rawks. I always use different flavored jelly though, not grape.

Ramen goes well in those skillet sensations if you don't put the flavoring in it. I think it's the potroast one I use...toss in some ramen and it's a solid meal for $6.

I just discovered how cheap and fat-free blackeyed peas are. Good eats there.Yeah I like apricot preserves and crunchy PB the best.

My mom has a cole slaw recipe that she puts raw ramen in. Pretty tasty. I only eat ramen now if I am sick, not sure why.

Those KFC snackers for 99 cents make a good meal if you are out and can only scrounge together 107 pennies.

Jimminy Crimson
4/6/2006, 01:32 AM
Those KFC snackers for 99 cents make a good meal if you are out and can only scrounge together 107 pennies.

So they're not really 99 cents! :mad:

AllAboutThe'O'
4/6/2006, 01:56 AM
One word: Triscuits

BoogercountySooner
4/6/2006, 05:05 AM
Beans, Cornbread and fried taters!

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 05:12 AM
Fried baloney -- "feeding poor Okies for 100 years"

BoogercountySooner
4/6/2006, 05:14 AM

Geeze Homey it's Bologna at least to the sophisticated poorman!:D :D

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 05:19 AM
Geeze Homey it's Bologna at least to the sophisticated poorman!:D :D

not in Carter County by gawd.

BoogercountySooner
4/6/2006, 05:38 AM
not in Carter County by gawd.

Now thats Baloney!:)

4/6/2006, 05:52 AM
Back in the day, I lived an entire year on eggs, rice, bread and oats. And LOOK AT ME NOW!! The incredible, eatable egg is very cheap, high in protein and quite tasty. Bread and oats are great for "feeling full."

You might also check out your local grocer's frozen pizza stash. The cheap pizza isn't good, but it sure is cheap.

Also, God gave us the Tortilla for a reason. Some times, it is just fine without a filling, stuffing or topping.

(And yes, I capitalized "Tortilla" on purpose.)

Chuck Bao
4/6/2006, 06:00 AM
Chicken on a stick - shot chicken with pellet gun. Dress it and stick it on a small stick, firmly implanted in the ground. Put a large tin can over it and cover that with hay. Light the hay on fire and wait about two hours for the chicken to cook.

Of course, that wouldn't work too well with the burn ban. But, if you're really hungry it doesn't matter.

4/6/2006, 06:03 AM
Good Holy Crap, Bao... your career really HAS gone bad.

Chuck Bao
4/6/2006, 06:09 AM
Oh yeah, in Marshall County, its baloney.

Fried baloney steak is a whole food group.

Chuck Bao
4/6/2006, 06:11 AM
Good Holy Crap, Bao... your career really HAS gone bad.

But not yesterday. Yesterday, my stock rose 11%. I'm ordering McDees delivery tonight.

Okieflyer
4/6/2006, 06:54 AM

Man that brings back horrible memories. :( Naw just kidding, I actually liked it back then. But we also ate those Bad T.V. dinners.

Are they any better today?

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 07:18 AM
MACARONI & CHEESE

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 07:30 AM
MACARONI & CHEESE

In the flippin' blue box thankyouverymuch.

IB4OU2
4/6/2006, 07:54 AM
Potted meat on whitebread and a hunk a longhorn cheese. That's a hillbillies lunch when he's out in the sticks..........

GDC
4/6/2006, 08:02 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/misterbisson/Dumbkins/viennasausage.jpg

4/6/2006, 08:03 AM
Snob.

OUDoc
4/6/2006, 08:07 AM
MACARONI & CHEESE
24 posts before anyone mentioned mac and cheese? What a sad time we live in.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 08:08 AM
...it's a solid meal for $6.

What the hell kinda silver spoon were you born with, boy? This is the poor man's food thread, not the country club kids' food thread. Now go back to squiring debutantes and quit making the rest of us feel like Oliver Twist.

Poor man's food nostalgia. Remember when Taco Bell has the 49-cent menu? Ummm. Bean Burrito + Cheesarito= Many a VK lunch back in the day.

On payday I would splurge and pony up the extra 20 cents for sour cream on the bean burrito.

IB4OU2
4/6/2006, 08:10 AM
I can't believe Poke Salat hasn't been mentioned.......?

4/6/2006, 08:13 AM
I think cow face is cheap. You can find it at your local butcher shop.

Raw generic oats and milk. You'll be full before you realize just how bad it is.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 08:15 AM
In the flippin' blue box thankyouverymuch.cheaper homemade with the commodity cheese that RMFO and a package of generic macaroni.

Surprised no one has mentioned Swanson pot pies or Hamburger Helper.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:21 AM
When we first got married, my wife fix mac and cheese for a record 152 straight meals.

It's been over a decade since I touched it and I may never again.

Vaevictis
4/6/2006, 08:24 AM

Mac and Cheese is no longer poor mans food. Have you seen the bloody prices on those things? Even the rediculously nasty off-brand stuff is in the $1 range now, and you still have to add milk and butter to it.

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 08:26 AM
People who don't like mac and cheese aren't really Americans.

C&CDean
4/6/2006, 08:26 AM
It's obvious to me that none of you ****in' hillbillies have ever truly been poor and hungry - with the exception of gdc.

It is common knowledge in poor/hungry circles that Vienna Sausages - and if you really wanna splurge, some saltine crackers is the food du jour of poor hungry bastages.

I used to steal a bottle of tabasco and A-1 from the mess hall so I'd have something to put on my Vienna Sausages. Good times.....

4/6/2006, 08:27 AM
Milk and butter are for snobs.

4/6/2006, 08:27 AM
Who can afford Vienna Sausages?

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 08:29 AM

Word. Weiners of the Gods they call them.

sooneron
4/6/2006, 08:39 AM
Chicken Pot Pie
Hamburger Helper RMFO!

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 08:48 AM
Poor man's snack - sardines in mustard sauce.

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 08:49 AM
Poor man's food nostalgia. Remember when Taco Bell has the 49-cent menu? Ummm. Bean Burrito + Cheesarito= Many a VK lunch back in the day.

On payday I would splurge and pony up the extra 20 cents for sour cream on the bean burrito.

Bean burritos. And to think, you were the one who recently had the thread about something stinky in the house. Oh, the irony.

:D

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 08:51 AM
Lonely man's snack - sardines in mustard sauce.
fixed

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 09:00 AM

one can feeds a family of 6.

oh, and no one will be fat.

One can goes with me when Im out fishing. Pop the top, slap them out into the palm of my hand and eat lunch in about 30 seconds. Back to fishing.
Sometimes Ill even warsh my hand off in the ocean first. Y'all know it's clean and pure.

OUDoc
4/6/2006, 09:04 AM
It's obvious to me that none of you ****in' hillbillies have ever truly been poor and hungry - with the exception of gdc.

It is common knowledge in poor/hungry circles that Vienna Sausages - and if you really wanna splurge, some saltine crackers is the food du jour of poor hungry bastages.

I used to steal a bottle of tabasco and A-1 from the mess hall so I'd have something to put on my Vienna Sausages. Good times.....
Look who's eating imported European stuffed-meat products. Elitist. ;)
Ramen's got to be cheaper, doesn't it? Nothing's cheaper than Ramen noodles.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/6/2006, 09:20 AM
Ramen's got to be cheaper, doesn't it? Nothing's cheaper than Ramen noodles.No joke. Can't you buy Ramen for 10 pkgs for $1 or something?

Oh and I know of what VK speaks. Except I used to go to Bueno and get a party burrito.

picasso
4/6/2006, 09:22 AM
Back in the day, I lived an entire year on eggs, rice, bread and oats. And LOOK AT ME NOW!! The incredible, eatable egg is very cheap, high in protein and quite tasty. Bread and oats are great for "feeling full."

You might also check out your local grocer's frozen pizza stash. The cheap pizza isn't good, but it sure is cheap.

Also, God gave us the Tortilla for a reason. Some times, it is just fine without a filling, stuffing or topping.

(And yes, I capitalized "Tortilla" on purpose.)
I eat the heck outta eggs. make 'em into burritos mostly.

anyone ever mix up the pb & j before putting on the bread? it makes an ugly purple brown stuff but tastes wonderful.

oh yeah, and a tortilla with cheese and jalapenos ain't too shabby.

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 09:30 AM
this thread will probably be merged with this thread soon:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66115

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 09:34 AM

And you don't even have to be dirt poor to enjoy them. I've had more than a few "soccer practice suppers" that consisted of a can of those and a 24 oz Busch beer. Good times!

(Sadly, my usual source, Lakeview Fine Foods, was flooded out. But it will be back.)

GDC
4/6/2006, 09:35 AM
Word. Weiners of the Gods they call them.

:D

IB4OU2
4/6/2006, 09:38 AM

Pffft.........Vienna sausages was a delicasy. I was eaten s**t on shingle long before you were breathen on this good earth. :eddie:

Soonrboy
4/6/2006, 09:40 AM
anyone ever cook up some hamburger patties and then cover them in mushroom soup gravy? with some mashed potatoes...man, that's some comfort eating.

GDC
4/6/2006, 09:53 AM
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/images/items/Large/HFSO507.jpg

SoonerWood
4/6/2006, 09:53 AM
This stuff is awesomely delicious and easily good for two meals

http://www.tonychachere.com/store/i/products/b/dinner-red-beans.jpg

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 09:54 AM
Weiners ala mode:

Make up some mashed potatoes (instant or the real thing), split open the hot dog, put a couple spoonfulls of mashed pataters on the hot dog, sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake for 10 minutes. Delicious. $1.50 for a package of hot dogs, 5# of potatoes for $1.50 and $2 for a bag of cheese and you can feed a family of four (with leftovers) for about $3 and have much of the cheese and some potatoes left for other fine dishes.

C&CDean
4/6/2006, 10:01 AM
Ramen's got to be cheaper, doesn't it? Nothing's cheaper than Ramen noodles.

Ramen?

Back in the day, they hadn't even invented that crap. And who the hell could afford a stove for cooking it up?

Like I said, y'all don't know poor. Or hungry. All the hamburger helper, SOS, Ramen, eggs, etc. require cookage. Poor bastages don't have stoves, and back when I was one, they hadn't even invented microwaves yet.

And for you sardine eaters I've only got this to say: I'd rather starve to death than eat bait. Sardines are nasty.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 10:05 AM
All the hamburger helper, SOS, Ramen, eggs, etc. require cookage.

Says who?

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 10:06 AM
Says who?

Rich folk, that's who.

IB4OU2
4/6/2006, 10:07 AM
Says who?

I heard you could make a grill cheese sammich with a curlin' iron.

4/6/2006, 10:09 AM
If it isn't a rock with dirt on top of it, you aren't poor.

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 10:17 AM
If it isn't a rock with dirt on top of it, you aren't poor.

you had dirt?

pffft..........rich folk.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 10:19 AM
Dean had to steal packets of catsup to give his rocks some flavor.

picasso
4/6/2006, 10:23 AM
next time drop an egg in the Ramen whilst it's cooking.

Hamhock
4/6/2006, 10:26 AM
next time drop an egg in the Ramen whilst it's cooking.

go on...

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 10:36 AM
Are people forgetting raw vegetables? I think I lived off of carrots once. Carrots, bread, and butter. That was rough.

frankensooner
4/6/2006, 10:49 AM
Fried squirrel, that was good.

When I was a kid we lived off of brown beans and cornbread for a year straight. It was a family thing, we would sit around at night and sort the beans before mama would put them in to soak for the next night.

We also lived in a one bed one bath duplex. (this is when both of my sisters were at OU at the same time and my folks were paying for both on teachers salaries)

ultimatesooner1
4/6/2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.spam.com/assets/hp/GoodGone3_animation.gif

leavingthezoo
4/6/2006, 11:26 AM
please. cheapest meal is your own fingernails. and if you're really hungry, you won't even think about the creepy crud all caught up underneath 'em. :dean:

picasso
4/6/2006, 11:31 AM
please. cheapest meal is your own fingernails. and if you're really hungry, you won't even think about the creepy crud all caught up underneath 'em. :dean:
that's a last resort. remember there's always crumbs in the sofa.

SCOUT
4/6/2006, 12:05 PM
Dean: ...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
H.I.: You ate what?
Dean: We ate sand.
[pause]
H.I.: You ate SAND?
Dean: That's right!

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.spam.com/assets/hp/GoodGone3_animation.gif

we were too poor for Spam. We had Treet.:(

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 12:13 PM
This stuff had meatlike substance AND taters. The fried egg was optional.

I would rather starve than ever be subjected to this stuff again. Sticks to the ribs, but will bind you up worse than a gut full of concrete mix.

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/2537/aaahfso1245yq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 12:16 PM
I do, however, still enjoy the occasional plate of SOS.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2488/aaaashiiteonashingle8rg8rq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Pricetag
4/6/2006, 12:25 PM

The cheap stuff doesn't taste like real pizza, but I wouldn't say it isn't good.

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 12:27 PM
That's nasty, Homey.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 12:29 PM
That's nasty, Homey.
I'd put that fork in my own temple before eating that.

olevetonahill
4/6/2006, 12:32 PM
eggs and grits , biscuits and gravy , and if yer a rich folk some side meat
Beans ,taters ,corn bread , Poke salad .
No can be so poor they cant slap an old fridge shelve over some rocks and build a fire
Now about those sardines its been said any one who eats em will eat "anything "

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 12:34 PM
What did you kill to make that? Catbread?

Vaevictis
4/6/2006, 12:34 PM

It looks suspiciously as if you already ate that. No speculation on my part as to which end it came out of; the picture is inconclusive.

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 12:37 PM

SOS in an underrated and unfairly maligned food.
But I had to delete the pic because it looked like dog vomit.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2006, 12:40 PM
What... dog vomit not good enough for the likes of you, Richie Rich?

Pricetag
4/6/2006, 12:41 PM
Sardines--yuck. How can so much smell come out of such a tiny can?

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 12:42 PM
SOS in an underrated and unfairly maligned food.
But I had to delete the pic because it looked like dog vomit.

Word. I've eaten SOS but it was like white gravy.....the **** in that pic is pink.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 12:42 PM
Sardines--yuck. How can so much smell come out of such a tiny can?
<letting someone else swing at the softball>

SoonerInKCMO
4/6/2006, 12:52 PM
When I was a kid we lived off of brown beans and cornbread for a year straight. It was a family thing, we would sit around at night and sort the beans before mama would put them in to soak for the next night.

That brings back some memories - Gubmint beans in the pressure cooker and Jiffy brand cornbread in the oven.

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 12:54 PM
<letting someone else swing at the softball>

It's at times like these that you feel sorry for the pitcher. It'd be mean to swing.

Okla-homey
4/6/2006, 12:56 PM
What... dog vomit not good enough for the likes of you, Richie Rich?

There are starving pygmies in New Guinea who would kill for a plate of dog vomit.

Just saying.

Vaevictis
4/6/2006, 01:04 PM
There are starving pygmies in New Guinea who would kill for a plate of dog vomit.

Personally, I'd rather just kill the person with the dog vomit and eat them instead.

NormanPride
4/6/2006, 01:12 PM
If we can handle the Ryan's story and all the others, then we can handle this.

Two men are lost in the Sahara, wandering aimlessly from dune to dune in hopes of finding some oasis. Both men are starving, and are beginning to feel weak from hunger and the heat.

With an amazing stroke of luck, they happen upon a dead vulture, lying alone in the desert, freshly croaked from some unknown cause. "Amazing!" says the first, "We can eat now!" The second looks queasy and defers, saying "I'll catch the next one, thanks. This one looks a bit off." The first looks at the second as if he's insane, then chows down.

Still hungry, the two make another lucky find a few hours later in the form of a deceased camel. The camel, unlike the bird, has been there awhile, and smells a bit after baking in the sun. The first man, however, is undeterred in his quest for food.

"I can eat all I want now! You sure you don't want any, man?" The second again waves the first on, saying he's allergic to camel. The first replies "Whatever!" and feasts on the beast until he can hold no more.

Not too long after leaving the dead animal behind, the first man pauses in mid-step, complaining that his stomach is killing him. Stopping completely, the man doubles over in pain, finally upchucking all his food onto the hot sand at his feet. The second man, ecstatic, exclaims:

"Finally! A warm meal!"

OhU1
4/6/2006, 01:14 PM
Please see:
http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php

Prison beer, breast milk, corn fungus, and much more!
Good eatings!

GDC
4/6/2006, 03:36 PM
http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/pottedmeats.jpg

Mjcpr
4/6/2006, 03:37 PM
What does 'potted' mean anyway?

GDC
4/6/2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.thescallywags.com/treet.jpg

GDC
4/6/2006, 03:40 PM
What does 'potted' mean anyway?

beats me

Howzit
4/6/2006, 03:48 PM
'Vienna Sausages?'

Please. A real hillbilly knows it's pernounced 'Vie-eeney Weenies.'

Jimminy Crimson
4/6/2006, 03:54 PM
http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/pottedmeats.jpg

Karl: I reckon it tastes alright.
Frank: You really think it's got peckers in there?
Karl: You know better than that. You ought not say that word.
Frank: It smells funny.
Karl: Yeah, it's pretty loud. Looky there. I believe you right. I believe I see one right in there.

MmmmHmmmm! :texan:

dolemitesooner
4/6/2006, 07:19 PM
i've rediscovered PB&J lately
LATLEY ...TAHTS ALL YOU EAT....WTF

C&CDean
4/6/2006, 07:29 PM

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2488/aaaashiiteonashingle8rg8rq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I've probably injested a 55-gallon drum of SOS in my lifetime. Good stuff.

dolemitesooner
4/6/2006, 07:30 PM
tHAT **** IS GOOD