PDA

View Full Version : The Rick Barnes/NC State Dance and It's Impact on Sooner Basketball

Sooner Among The Pack
4/5/2006, 09:28 PM
Reports coming in from WBT Radio in Charlotte, NC this evening that NC State has offered $2.2 million a season for Rick Barnes to leave Texas and join the Wolfpack. This is of great interest to me because I am an OU alum currently at NC State for grad school...and I see the potential to land a good coach in Barnes and in turn screw the shorthorns...which is most certainly the best double whammy out there. Hook 'em

Most "experts" feel that there is no way Barnes will leave Texas, but the $2.2 million mark is pretty close to what Texas was offering to restucture Barnes' deal. Barnes could also bring some of the talent he has recruited from Texas' over to NC State and possible open up a pipeline, which would also hurt the shorthorns. Hook 'em If Barnes were to leave Texas, however, it would open up another vacancy to potentially funnel good coaches away from Oklahoma....

In addition, there is an additional rumor tied to this report, where Barnes has suggested to Miami's Frank Haith to consider taking the Texas job over Oklahoma. This would assume Haith has been approached and possibly offered the job. This is a post from PackPride.com about this:

"(Assistant Coach from un-named college) just left my office and said
Rick Barnes to NC State was a done deal for $2 million a year...said
Frank Haith was offered the Oklahoma job, but Barnes called him and told
him he was leaving and that he would recommend him for the Texas
job...take it for what it is worth!"

Err, ya. Anyway, thought you guys might like to hear about this..it's fun and nerve-wrecking having your two school searching for a coach at exactly the same time! :(

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/6/2006, 12:24 AM
All I really ask is that the whorns stay far away from the sweet sixteen from here on in, no matter who their coach is.

OKC-SLC
4/6/2006, 12:37 AM
texas can suck my azz.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 12:58 AM
Should point out that the "rumor" was confirmed on all local TV markets and insider scoops related to NC State...wonder if the "OU job has been offered to Frank Haith" has the same merit?

KaiserSooner
4/6/2006, 01:33 AM
I don't see it. Why would Barnes leave UT for NC State? UT's resources are bottomless, and he doesn't have to compete against UNC and Duke.

I guess I just don't understand the excitement over this Haith dude at Miami. What has he done there? NIT? In any event, if UT were in need of a basketball coach, they sure as hell wouldn't be knockin' on this guy's door, and hope to God OU isn't knocking on his door, either.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 02:08 AM
Well, you can get into the argument that a ton of NC State fans would give you...primarly...

(1) Come home to Tobacco Road (where he grew up).
(2) Don't play second fiddle to football at UT.
(3) The passion of ACC basketball far exceeds that of the Big XII.
(4) Come compete and win titles over Coach K and Roy Williams.

Those four points are EXTREMELY debatable, and I'm not sold on any of them as actual draws.

What is clear: Barnes either has geniune interest in the State job or he's really milking the Shorthorns for all their worth, and he's going to get a huge contract bump out of it. Either way, he wins. Annoucement should come in next 24-48 hrs.

And Kaiser, I don't like Haith much more than the other names being thrown around today (Doherty would be a nightmare). I'd love to see us land Jay Wright or John Calipari, but...all in all, Haith might not be a bad fallback.

Big Red Ron
4/6/2006, 02:19 AM
WOW!

Sampson turned down NC STATE about ten years ago.

boomersooner28
4/6/2006, 03:53 AM
Texas can and will pay Barnes whatever any other school offers him, and why would he want to compete with UNC and Duke right down the street along with Wake?

This is a waste of my time.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 08:30 AM
I don't see it. Why would Barnes leave UT for NC State? UT's resources are bottomless, and he doesn't have to compete against UNC and Duke.

I guess I just don't understand the excitement over this Haith dude at Miami. What has he done there? NIT? In any event, if UT were in need of a basketball coach, they sure as hell wouldn't be knockin' on this guy's door, and hope to God OU isn't knocking on his door, either.

I don't think Haith would necessarily be a bad hire but I'm with you. I can't say I'd be too broken up by Barnes leaving to NCST and Haith going to Hook 'em (insane deer, taco meat).

The list of coaches that I would excited about coming to OU is pretty short and Haith wasn't on that list.

Harry Beanbag
4/6/2006, 09:22 AM
Haith and Barnes are both very dirty when it comes to recruiting. Kelvin gets busted for making a few phone calls, yet a blind eye gets turned to the really illegal crap going on.

And yes, it would be beneficial if Joe C. wraps this thing up before the Texas job opens, if it does.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 06:42 PM
Texas can and will pay Barnes whatever any other school offers him, and why would he want to compete with UNC and Duke right down the street along with Wake?

This is a waste of my time.

Because ACC Basketball is the equivalent to Big XII Football here in Raleigh...and he would be (and currently is) being worshipped by NC State fans like Stoops was/is viewed at OU. He is, and always will be, the "other" show in town in Austin.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 06:44 PM
Today's hot rumor is that NC State is ignorning overtures from John Calipari. Two possible reasons: (1) NCSU has Barnes in pocket or (2) Our AD is an idiot.

EDIT: And the answer is (2), Our AD is an idiot. Break in on local news say Barnes is staying at Texas . AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This reaffirms my never-ending and ever-lasting hatred for the University of Texas.

Sry to lead you guys down this path. I thought there for a few days that State had a chance at it.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 08:30 PM
I don't see why this was ever big news or why NC State fans were so confident about it.

boomersooner28 nailed it right on the head. It didn't really matter what NC State offered. They wouldn't be able to match a bidding war with Texas. Not to mention that he already left the ACC before because he didn't want to compete with Duke and UNC.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 08:36 PM
I don't see why this was ever big news or why NC State fans were so confident about it.

boomersooner28 nailed it right on the head. It didn't really matter what NC State offered. They wouldn't be able to match a bidding war with Texas. Not to mention that he already left the ACC before because he didn't want to compete with Duke and UNC.

It was never about the money from State's perspective..we knew we couldn't match Texas' pocketbook, so we sold it a different route. Barnes has said quite a few times that he loves the passion of ACC basketball and it's been well known that he would look into coming back to Tobacco Road if one of the major positions came open...he grew up in Hickory NC man, this is his home. Hey, so money and a cozy situation talks...who knew.

Your wrong about him not wanting to compete with UNC and Duke. He didn't have the rescources to do much at Clemson, and I think from a personal standpoint, he would love to come back and "prove" something to the ACC folks who thought he wasn't good enough.

If this was so silly, and NC State had NO chance to land Barnes, why do you think this has been going on for a week now? Barnes had asked for a restructure and a raise for his assistants...if it was in the bag from Texas' standpoint, why wasn't that done last week? Partly because he considered the job, and partly because he wanted to milk some $$$ from the Texas athletic department.

I still believe Barnes really considered taking the State job. That might be hard for you to understand, but it's true.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 08:58 PM
It was never about the money from State's perspective. Barnes has said quite a few times that he loves the passion of ACC basketball and it's been well known that he would look into coming back to Tobacco Road if one of the major positions came open...he grew up in Hickory NC man, this is his home.

Your wrong about him not wanting to compete with UNC and Duke. He didn't have the rescources to do much at Clemson, and I think from a personal standpoint, he would love to come back and "prove" something to the ACC folks who thought he wasn't good enough.

If this was so silly, and NC State had NO chance to land Barnes, why do you think this has been going on for a week now? Barnes had asked for a restructure and a raise for his assistants...if it was in the bag from Texas' standpoint, why wasn't that done last week? Partly because he considered the job, and partly because he wanted to milk some $$$ from the Texas athletic department.

I still believe Barnes really considered taking the State job. That might be hard for you to understand, but it's true.
I realize where he's from. But not once has he said that it was his dream to go back to coach in North Carolina. Heck, he was even quoted as saying this two weeks ago...
"Yes, I grew up in North Carolina, but I have no desire to coach anywhere else but Texas."

I think it took a week because Barnes has been going after a raise and it was being worked on. Just look at the note from Andy Katz yesterday...
Meanwhile, Texas coach Rick Barnes is awaiting a new deal with Texas after overtures from NC State. He hasn't had any formal conversations with the Wolfpack, but he was their No. 1 target. He's expected to stay in Austin with a serious bump in salary.

He just has it too good at Texas. He can make a ton of money, has some of the best facilities in the country, is in one of the best places to recruit in the entire country, and is able to be the top dog in his state by a longshot.

Just because a lot of NC State fans posted rumors on their board (odd how not a single Texas fan had heard a thing about Barnes possibly leaving until reading the NC State boards) doesn't mean that he actually considered it. It was much of the same from UVA fans last offseason. In the end, I'll take his word and the unbiased reports.

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:06 PM
I have no desire to coach anywhere else but Texas

ha, we heard Calvin say he wanted to retire on the OU bench..

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 09:06 PM
I realize where he's from. But not once has he said that it was his dream to go back to coach in North Carolina. Heck, he was even quoted as saying this two weeks ago...
"Yes, I grew up in North Carolina, but I have no desire to coach anywhere else but Texas."

Just because a lot of NC State fans posted rumors on their board (odd how not a single Texas fan had heard a thing about Barnes possibly leaving until reading the NC State boards) doesn't mean that he actually considered it. It was much of the same from UVA fans last offseason.

First, Andy Katz is a tool, and I don't put much stock in what he has to say. ;)

Second, We've heard that kind of banter (the quote about LOVING Texas) before from coaches..it doesn't mean they aren't being swooned from the sidelines. Very good sources (as good if not better than Katzy) confirmed that we offered at least $2.2 mil/yr with a $5 mil incentive package, which was as good as the extensions numbers from the Texas Athl. Dept.

Any Texas fan who beleives that Rick Barnes didn't HONESTLY consider the job is kidding themselves. It's nice to see that Hook 'em are just as arrogant with all matters, not just ones related to the Big XII. :mack:

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:07 PM
what do you mean considered. Last i checked that job was still open. has he said publicly he has taken his name out of consideration?

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 09:13 PM
what do you mean considered. Last i checked that job was still open. has he said publicly he has taken his name out of consideration?

The heavy courting that State did apparently didn't work, as all the local TV markets and sources reported tonight that he officially said "No Thanks" to our "unofficial" offer.

My dream of screwing Hook 'em and landing a much better coach than Herb Sendek has been thwarted. Now NC State will end up with somebody that the fan base has to be sold on...I hope this doesn't happen at OU too. :mad:

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:15 PM
if he said no thanks then he's as good as gone from sexat!

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 09:20 PM
The fat cats at State apparently have the "dirty program" issue with Johnny Cal., but he's really interested in our position. It's a shame that State is stupid, but there might be hope for the Sooners!

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:21 PM
calipari would be a great hire,, I wish joe would throw him some serious bucks.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 09:26 PM
Very good sources (as good if not better than Katzy) confirmed that we offered at least $2.2 mil/yr with a $5 mil incentive package, which was as good as the extensions numbers from the Texas Athl. Dept.

Any Texas fan who beleives that Rick Barnes didn't HONESTLY consider the job is kidding themselves. It's nice to see that Hook 'em are just as arrogant with all matters, not just ones related to the Big XII. :mack:
Nobody is denying the fact that NC State was offering him a ton of money. What's being denied is whether or not he actually had serious interest in the job.

If it makes me arrogant to not believe the rumors that NC State fans spat out the past few days and believe what Andy Katz reported on the situation, then I guess I'm just an arrogant Texan.

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:27 PM
I'm just an arrogant Texan.

well duh, you didn't even have to put it in type!

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 09:32 PM
Nobody is denying the fact that NC State was offering him a ton of money. What's being denied is whether or not he actually had serious interest in the job.

Katzy and others have reported that the only "issue" Barnes had with Texas is the fact that they can't sell out home games. This is an extension of the "second fiddle" routine he'll have to play to Mack until he brings a NC to Austin..and even then...Texas is a football school.

I guess I'm assuming your knowledgeable enough to know what ACC basketball is like and why it's so important to Barnes and NC State. State tried the softie approach, by trying to sell the "ACC" and "Backyard" talking points. If you REALLY believe he wasn't considering that, THEN you are MOST CERTAINLY an arrogant Texan.

RacerX
4/6/2006, 09:34 PM
I'm just an arrogant Texan.

Redundant.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 09:37 PM
Katzy and others have reported that the only "issue" Barnes had with Texas is the fact that they can't sell out home games. This is an extension of the "second fiddle" routine he'll have to play to Mack until he brings a NC to Austin..and even then...Texas is a football school.
Yep. And NC State has the same problem. Texas averaged over 13,000 per game last season. NC State averaged over 14,000.

During football season, Texas and NC State both averaged just over 10,000 in attendance.

Both sold out 3 games this year, I do believe.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 09:40 PM
Trust me dude, if you would have seen how pathetically boring our offense was (which you got a taste of in the 2nd round), it's easy to understand why we didn't sell out.

I think Barnes took more issue of the inability to sell the place out when big conference opponents come into town (Oklahoma, Kansas)...and I promise you, that's not an issue here in Raleigh.

There is no way you can argue with me about ACC Basketball "passion wise" compared to the Big XII.

oumartin
4/6/2006, 09:42 PM
that venue that the whorns play in is the absolute worst.

PrideTrombone
4/6/2006, 09:54 PM
that venue that the whorns play in is the absolute worst.

And our arena is a bad version of theirs.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 09:54 PM
I think Barnes took more issue of the inability to sell the place out when big conference opponents come into town (Oklahoma, Kansas)...and I promise you, that's not an issue here in Raleigh.
Texas has never had a problem filling the place against big name opponents, so I'm not real sure what you're talking about there.

It's the attendance against the Texas States of the world that annoys Barnes.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 10:03 PM
Texas has never had a problem filling the place against big name opponents, so I'm not real sure what you're talking about there.

Maybe you can supply the Big XII number from Texas for me since I am having a difficult time finding it online, but NC State's average ACC attendance for their 8 home games this year was ~18,900, and our capacity is I believe 19,287. State also has difficulty filling the seats when UNC-Asheville is in town, but there's no doubt the place is filled, loud, and rocking for ACC tilts.

Just because there are Hook 'em in the stands, it doesn't mean they are passionate about it, sans student section.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 10:09 PM

Here's a link to a reporter here in Raleigh, not just a "State fan message board", that should answer your question.

http://html.wral.com/sh/blogger/wralglenn.html

Quote from the ACC blog:

"Dodds and Barnes had a meeting Monday at which they discussed a raise for Barnes and raises for his assistants, among other matters related to the basketball program. The coach has said repeatedly that he's overwhelmingly happy with the Longhorns, but he also has complained about poor attendance at some important Big 12 home games."

NOT the Texas State's of the world.

AustinTXHorn
4/6/2006, 10:16 PM
Here's a link to a reporter here in Raleigh, not just a "State fan message board", that should answer your question.

http://html.wral.com/sh/blogger/wralglenn.html

Quote from the ACC blog:

"Dodds and Barnes had a meeting Monday at which they discussed a raise for Barnes and raises for his assistants, among other matters related to the basketball program. The coach has said repeatedly that he's overwhelmingly happy with the Longhorns, but he also has complained about poor attendance at some important Big 12 home games."

NOT the Texas State's of the world.
Good that an outsider from North Carolina thinks that, but that's just simply not the case.

Texas averaged 14,557 in an arena of 16,755 in conference games. The two lowest games of the conference season happened against Baylor on Valentines Day and against Nebraska on the same day that Texas played #1 Rice in baseball, a game that drew 27,000 fans.

If you don't want to believe me, then don't. Having 7,000 fans in the stands during football season against a small school is what gets Barnes. Having 14,000 show up against Colorado is far from being what ****es him off.

I never said Texas' passion was that of NC State's. The passion for basketball in North Carolina is much greater than Texas. But with that said, the donor money and attendance figures sure don't show it. It's not like NC State is known for having one of the best atmospheres in the country that you can't pass up.

Another thing that I just remembered was that Barnes publicly called out NC State fans for the way they had treated Herb Sendek just a few weeks ago. After seeing the way his good buddy was just treated at NC State, why would he want to go there?

Anyway, I'm going to end this here because Barnes is obviously staying at Texas.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 10:28 PM
Anyway, I'm going to end this here because Barnes is obviously staying at Texas.

That's great...I agree with you that Barnes is staying at Texas. Oh well, I guess the State nation will wish Rick the best at Texas. Oh wait, I'm a Sooner at heart..Hook 'em can suck it.

Glad to see this topic can end on a regularly accepted theme.

KaiserSooner
4/6/2006, 10:45 PM
There is no way you can argue with me about ACC Basketball "passion wise" compared to the Big XII.

No doubt, but can you honestly say NC State is a better job than Texas?

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 10:57 PM
Money? maybe not. Current success? Edge to Texas. But....

NC State has two national championships, Texas has none.

You can't become a coaching legend beating up on Baylor twice a year, but you can do it by winning at Cameron Indoor and the Dean Smith Center.

That's why the NC State job is better than the shorthorns.

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 11:14 PM
If Barnes leaves, oh well. Saxet is like OU guys. They're going to invest the bulk of their time and money into the universities respective "cow": Football. Let's just hope that Joe can hire someone other than Turgeon or another mvc/small conf. coach, unless it's Few of course.

Harry Beanbag
4/6/2006, 11:19 PM
No doubt, but can you honestly say NC State is a better job than Texas?

It was for 100 years, but at the present snapshot in time, probably not. It's interesting how the rise of Duke 20 years ago corresponds with the fall of NC State though.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/6/2006, 11:47 PM
It's interesting how the rise of Duke 20 years ago corresponds with the fall of NC State though.

Since the two NC State titles, Jimmy V ran things a little dirty, and thats no secret. Then State cleaned it up with Sendek, defintley his best quality. Now all the dirty laundry, wins, and NC's is over in Durham and Chapel Hill.

Thats why the NCSU faithful now want John Calipari, that'll get the dirty in here REAL QUICK!

TJKDone
4/6/2006, 11:55 PM

I guess I'm assuming your knowledgeable enough to know what ACC basketball is like and why it's so important to Barnes and NC State. State tried the softie approach, by trying to sell the "ACC" and "Backyard" talking points. If you REALLY believe he wasn't considering that, THEN you are MOST CERTAINLY an arrogant Texan.

Who is NC State pursuing now that Rick has turned them down?

Hook'em

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 08:29 AM
Since the two NC State titles, Jimmy V ran things a little dirty, and thats no secret. Then State cleaned it up with Sendek, defintley his best quality. Now all the dirty laundry, wins, and NC's is over in Durham and Chapel Hill.

Thats why the NCSU faithful now want John Calipari, that'll get the dirty in here REAL QUICK!

"The Dirty Calipari?" Are we back on the "Duke Women got hosed" thread?

TJKDone
4/7/2006, 08:41 AM
I love Rick Barnes. I hope UT has him coaching until he retires. He would have won more against UNC and Duke than in the past, but I don't think that NC State has the same caliber of programs as Duke and UNC, and never will with the current coaches. I don't think NC State will beat either of those teams consistently with Roy W and Coach K at the helms. It wouldn't matter who they hire.

Hook'em

GDC
4/7/2006, 08:45 AM
Hook'em

Why wasn't this changed to Hook 'em ? Bane him!!!:mad:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 09:04 AM
I love Rick Barnes. I hope UT has him coaching until he retires. He would have won more against UNC and Duke than in the past, but I don't think that NC State has the same caliber of programs as Duke and UNC, and never will with the current coaches. I don't think NC State will beat either of those teams consistently with Roy W and Coach K at the helms. It wouldn't matter who they hire.

I like midget porn

Fixed

TJKDone
4/7/2006, 09:20 AM
Fixed

Hook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emH ook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHo ok'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHoo k'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook 'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook' emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'e mHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'em Hook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emH ook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHo ok'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHoo k'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook 'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook' emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'e mHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'em Hook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emH ook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHo ok'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHoo k'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook 'emHook'emHook'emHook'emHook'em

Hook'em

Harry Beanbag
4/7/2006, 09:26 AM
I am a gay midget porn fluffer.

Fixed again.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 10:36 AM
That works.

Sooner in Tampa
4/7/2006, 10:41 AM
I am acting like a 5th grade yianch
Hook'em

FixedHook 'em

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/7/2006, 10:49 AM
Brokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBr okeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrok eback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeb ack'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokebac k'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback' emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'em Brokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBr okeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrok eback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeb ack'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokebac k'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback' emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'em Brokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBr okeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrok eback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeb ack'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokebac k'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback' emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'emBrokeback'em

Brokeback'em

Fixed

Herr Scholz
4/7/2006, 10:50 AM
You can't become a coaching legend beating up on Baylor twice a year, but you can do it by winning at Cameron Indoor and the Dean Smith Center.

That's why the NC State job is better than the shorthorns.
Interesting you pick the top two teams from the ACC that NC State plays and don't mention KU or OU for the Horns. Disingenuous much? Texas, OU and KU have all been to the Final 4 in recent years. The Big XII is a real basketball conference. I won't say it's as good as the ACC, but to insinuate that it's a podunk conference and a coach can't get famous here is just wrong.

As far as getting famous, Barnes could end up being THE coach for Texas basketball if he stays a long time. Who knows, he could end up getting his name on the court some day. That certainly would never happen at NC State living in Valvano's shadow.

And, no, the NC State job is not a better gig than Texas. NC State is the 4th best team in its own state.

AustinTXHorn
4/7/2006, 12:37 PM
Interesting you pick the top two teams from the ACC that NC State plays and don't mention KU or OU for the Horns. Disingenuous much? Texas, OU and KU have all been to the Final 4 in recent years. The Big XII is a real basketball conference.
Don't forget OSU.

Herr Scholz
4/7/2006, 01:01 PM
Don't forget OSU.
Right.

GDC
4/7/2006, 03:22 PM
It's so great for whorns to come here and talk to themselves.:twinkies:

Herr Scholz
4/7/2006, 03:49 PM
It's so great for whorns to come here and talk to themselves.:twinkies:
You always add so much. :rolleyes:

Again, a thread with Rick Barnes in the title might not be for you (and again, this thread was started by a Sooner). Maybe you'll understand these cogent facts sometime this century.

Harry Beanbag
4/7/2006, 04:00 PM
:twinkies: :twinkies: :twinkies: :twinkies: :twinkies:

I like the new smilie. :twinkies:

Sooner Among The Pack
4/8/2006, 06:14 PM
The Big XII is a real basketball conference. I won't say it's as good as the ACC, but to insinuate that it's a podunk conference and a coach can't get famous here is just wrong.

Remember I'm a Sooner, so I end up watching the same amount of Big XII basketball as I do in the ACC, thanks to ESPN Full Court. I wasn't putting down the caliber of basketball in the Big XII, but in terms of fan base enthusiasm, even the whorns admit that everything comes second to football. Not so much in the ACC.

And, no, the NC State job is not a better gig than Texas. NC State is the 4th best team in its own state.

As I've said before, it's not the case in the past 10 years. But, remind me how many national championships Texas has in Men's Basketball?

Sooner Among The Pack
4/8/2006, 06:15 PM
FWIW, now it seems that John Calipari may indeed be NC State's next coach with the next 48 hours.

PrideTrombone
4/8/2006, 06:25 PM
FWIW, now it seems that John Calipari may indeed be NC State's next coach with the next 48 hours.

If true, then Joe C. missed the boat.

Newbomb Turk
4/8/2006, 06:53 PM
If true, then Joe C. missed the boat.

or the boat doesn't want to come to Oklahoma.

PrideTrombone
4/8/2006, 07:01 PM
or the boat doesn't want to come to Oklahoma.

True, but I can't imagine NC State being any more attractive than OU.

oumartin
4/8/2006, 07:09 PM
but its the ACC! :D

Harry Beanbag
4/8/2006, 07:47 PM
True, but I can't imagine NC State being any more attractive than OU.

Or Indiana.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/9/2006, 01:45 AM
Apparently it was Calapri that initially contacted NC State about the vacancy, not the other way round. Speculation was that the "dirty" image many ppl have of Calapari scared the fat cats away. After we couldn't pry Barnes away from Texas, the fat cats wised up.