PDA

View Full Version : Iguana eggs

VeeJay
4/5/2006, 07:40 PM
What I thought earlier was a burrowing owl digging gopher holes in my yard, apparently has turned out to be an iguana female trying to dig out a place to stash some eggs.

I got one hole in the front yard, and two have appeared against my patio since Sunday. This afternoon, I saw the eggs. The reason I suspect they're iguana eggs is because Mrs. VJ said she saw an iguana scratching out some dirt yesterday against the patio. After the hurricanes last year, we had the patio screen completely removed and had the patio itself re-surfaced. I haven't re-sodded the yard yet, so apparently my backyard is prime hatching ground for an iguana. I counted 30 eggs in this spot:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/279/279949/pages/734728/Nest54-05-06(Custom).jpg

OUHOMER
4/5/2006, 07:43 PM
do they taste like chicken?

VeeJay
4/5/2006, 07:49 PM
You'd be surprised if you google "Iguana eggs" at the recipes rather than information on how many of the li'l fuggers actually survive.

OUinFLA
4/5/2006, 07:56 PM
Im confused how you couldnt tell the difference.
One has feathers, one does not.
Perhaps pics will help you out:

Burrowing owl
http://www.cerc.cr.usgs.gov/FRS_Webs/Gulf_Coast/PortAMar2001-s.jpg

Iguana
http://www.grizzlyrun.com/Pets/Reptiles/iguana/iguana.jpg

VeeJay
4/5/2006, 08:11 PM
All's I seen was holes in the yard.

Until today - then I seen the eggs.

My book learnin' smarts told me 30 elliptical shaped eggs nearly the size of a ping pong ball couldn't have possibly come from a 9" tall owl.

Again - that's all's I know's as a dude who drives to an office every day, comes home and drinks bourbon at night.

GottaHavePride
4/5/2006, 08:16 PM
There's the problem. You need to be drinking the bourbon out of Ziploc baggies. Then you would have known.

GDC
4/5/2006, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to breed leopard geckos, no luck so far.

BeetDigger
4/5/2006, 08:47 PM
And I'm bitching about the rabbits digging holes in my yard.

sanantoniosooner
4/5/2006, 09:03 PM
And I'm bitching about the rabbits digging holes in my yard.
So a BeetDigger is complaining about RabbitDiggers in an IguanaDigging thread.

Typical.

OUinFLA
4/5/2006, 09:15 PM
VeeJay, Im emailing you a complimentary gift certificate to Holiday Inn Express. We need to raise the intelectual level around here some more.

goodonya
4/6/2006, 08:01 AM
gdc, try a little wine, soft lights and a GEICO commercial to get her in the mood.

GDC
4/6/2006, 08:04 AM
gdc, try a little wine, soft lights and a GEICO commercial to get her in the mood.

http://www.goldengategeckos.com/images/Leopard%20Gecko.jpg

This is all critical_phil's fault.:D

1stTimeCaller
4/6/2006, 08:15 AM
VeeJay, WTF do you live? Is this a 'wild' iguana or someone's pet that is loose?

goodonya
4/6/2006, 08:18 AM
gdc, my bad. You meant that you were trying to get THEM to breed. I've gotta' read slower.

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 08:20 AM
No, they're the real deal. All over the place around here. There's a huge live oak behind our house - there are always a couple in the tree. But this is the first time I've seen them digging nests and laying eggs.

We live in South Florida - as I said, we have quite a few of them. We're a little farther south than OUinFLA - I think they have more goats and pigs and what not up around his parts.

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 08:22 AM
VeeJay, Im emailing you a complimentary gift certificate to Holiday Inn Express. We need to raise the intelectual level around here some more.

Could ya make it Marriott? I need some additional Rewards points.

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 08:48 AM
We live in South Florida - as I said, we have quite a few of them. We're a little farther south than OUinFLA - I think they have more goats and pigs and what not up around his parts.

Hey! I dont live in Stillwater!
:mad:

I live in Lakeland. We are infested with gators and snakes.
quit whinning about those little lizards, worry about the big ones.

Actually Iguanas are becoming quite a pest in some areas of Florida.
On Boca Grand, which is an island on the SW coast where land sells for about $100K per square inch and condos start in the $1.5 mil range, they are so infested that they have encouraged residents to shoot them.

This in turn outraged some the PETA libz on the island to the point they demanded that trappers be hired to remove them rather than shoot them. So, trappers have been hired to eradicate the animal, and guess what they do after they trap them? Yep, they kill them. much better than having a bunch of rich-to-dos running around armed and dangerous shooting the lizard pests.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/6/2006, 10:06 AM
Okay, Iguanas are not native to FL. How in the hell did they become a pest?

What PETA doesn't know won't hurt 'em... Yeah, "humane" trapping...Until you are down the street...;)

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 10:14 AM
they have populated Florida from some person who had them as a cute pet when they were about 8 inches long.
Once they reach about 2 feet long, start eating 3 pounds of fresh fruit a day, become mean and nasty, start whipping you with their tail, people tend to not want them anymore. No one wants them any more. Sooooooooooooo, they let them go in their back yards to fend for themselves. And they do quite well. Just ask Veejay.
At 30 eggs per clutch, and being loose in So. Fla for about 30+ years, you do the math.

VeeJay
4/6/2006, 10:19 AM
I haven't been whipped with one of their tails yet, but it looks like it'd hurt like hell.

Sometimes, when I'm cutting the grass in the back, they won't move out of the way.

I'm thinking about putting the eggs in Lady Asshat's yard.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 10:20 AM
My aunt had to have plastic surgery on her nose when her iguana decided it looked tastey.

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 10:22 AM
Iguana burgers, that's the answer.

sanantoniosooner
4/6/2006, 10:25 AM
I wish I was in Tiajuana eating bbq iguana......

BeetDigger
4/6/2006, 10:51 AM
My aunt had to have plastic surgery on her nose when her iguana decided it looked tastey.

Rule #1 for Iguana owners: Don't try to kiss the iguana.

TUSooner
4/6/2006, 11:05 AM
Iguana Soup
1 Iguana
1 1/2 quarts of iguana broth (or chicken broth)
2 Chicken bouillon cubes
1 Clove of garlic
1 Leek
1 Tomato, coarsely chopped
1 Onion, studded with 3 cloves
1 Green Pepper, quartered
1/4 small Cabbage
1 tsp Cumin
1 dash Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper
2 oz Vermicelli
Kill, clean, skin and cut the Iguana into serving pieces.

Prepare chicken broth in heavy kettle, add garlic, leek, tomato, onion, green pepper and cabbage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for thirty minutes. Add the iguana, and simmer an additional half hour, or until the meat is tender. Remove from the fire. Strain broth, discarding vegetables. Bone the iguana and set the meat aside.

Return the broth to the fire and add cumin, nutmeg, vermicelli and salt and pepper. Simmer for about five minutes until the vermicelli is tender. Add the iguana and heat thoroughly. Serve piping hot with Funchi (Corn meal mush).

Yield: 6 servings

OUinFLA
4/6/2006, 11:26 AM
But........but.........but.......Daddy! Is that Bobo on the dinning table???

:( :( :(