PDA

View Full Version : I guess they decided it might help "switching"

OUstudent4life
4/5/2006, 12:56 PM
and they might take a bite out of Dell (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html)

I wonder what bigtime Intel Macs will have in the way of video cards/drivers?

And I wonder what this is going to do to the push for more software for Macs...

Partial Qualifier
4/5/2006, 01:01 PM
We had a dual-boot Linux & Apple system here in our testing area for awhile but beyond similiarly obscure implementations . . . What the hell would be the point of that?

Partial Qualifier
4/5/2006, 01:03 PM
Oh and Gates' $800 million "donation" to Apple several years ago is starting to pay off! ;)

mdklatt
4/5/2006, 01:07 PM
Isn't a Mac running Windows basically an overpriced Dell? The only reason I would get a Mac is to run MacOS. How is this Boot Camp thing different from VirtualPC? I guess it gives you a true dual boot option.

yermom
4/5/2006, 01:31 PM
you don't have to reboot for Virtual PC

i'd be happy if they could just make a decent Outlook version for OS X

OUstudent4life
4/5/2006, 01:32 PM
Virtual PC runs inside MacOSX, right?

I guess this will be running on its own, so maybe there's an increase in speed?

I still probably wouldn't do it, though, since it would open up the computer to easy hacking/viruses...maybe. I'm just worried the software companies will stop developing Mac programs, since you could just buy the windows version.

...even though the mac versions work better :D.

mdklatt
4/5/2006, 01:35 PM
I guess this will be running on its own, so maybe there's an increase in speed?

Yeah, it sounds like just a boot loader, not an emulator. Which is probably why they're willing to give it away for free.

OUstudent4life
4/5/2006, 01:38 PM
as an aside to the computer heads out there...what is the difference between BIOS and EFI?

Heck, what ARE BIOS and EFI?

mdklatt
4/5/2006, 01:46 PM
as an aside to the computer heads out there...what is the difference between BIOS and EFI?

Heck, what ARE BIOS and EFI?

BIOS = Built-In Operating System, which is built into the hardware. The user OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.) runs on top of the BIOS. When you turn on the computer the BIOS starts up first.

EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection?

OUstudent4life
4/5/2006, 01:56 PM
EFI = Extensible Firmware Interface

But I have no idea why it's "better" than BIOS...

The quotes on Apple's Boot Camp page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) are funny in a nerdish apple elitist way:

...Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries...

...Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world...

yermom
4/5/2006, 03:15 PM
anyone want to see what it looks like installed?

http://www.dealcatcher.com/forums/m_402248/tm.htm

mdklatt
4/5/2006, 03:30 PM
The quotes on Apple's Boot Camp page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) are funny in a nerdish apple elitist way:

That is exactly why I hate Apple and its evangalizers.

The mouse is so much better than a keyboard! Who needs to right-click when you can just use a keyboard shortcut?

MacOS 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 is the greatest thing ever! Until version 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/X comes out and we finally admit what a buggy piece of crap the previous version was.

Can you belive that Windoze still has a command prompt?! OS X--now with an all-powerful command prompt!

Intel chips are power-hungry and slow! Unless they're installed in a Mac.

Windoze is the debil! But here's a boat loader you can use to install it on our newest computers.

Think different! Did you know we now sell Intel machines that can run Windows?

mrowl
4/5/2006, 03:41 PM
This is a great move for apple. It allows the new intel macs to run that specialized software more easy with a windows supported mac.

It opens the doors to thousands of businesses that need windows, but want a mac.

And we are getting closer and closer to the Bluetooth Video Ipod! :D

SoonerInKCMO
4/5/2006, 04:55 PM

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster I want those freaks to shut the **** up about their stupid Macs.

yermom
4/5/2006, 05:02 PM
it's getting out of hand, they are popping up all over

i have a Powerbook and a Lattitude, and i use the Apple a TON more than the Dell

and the touchpad kills now, i almost never use a mouse anymore, but they will use a regular two button PC mouse

49r
4/6/2006, 04:16 PM

i have a Powerbook and a Lattitude, and i use the Apple a TON more than the Dell

and the touchpad kills now, i almost never use a mouse anymore, but they will use a regular two button PC mouse

Man, you got that right! I got a PowerBook this Christmas and now that I've gotten used to the scrolling touchpad on it, everything else (including the Dell Latitude that work forces me to use) is teh succ.

People that complain about how cruddy Macs are have obviously never used them...or at least, they haven't used 'em lately...

My only issue with OS X as it is right now is the clunky way it deals with Windows networks. Hopefully this latest move will inspire the two platforms to play together a little better.

OU Adonis
4/6/2006, 04:21 PM
Not to nitpick, but BIOS actually stands for Basic Input/Output System

mrowl
4/6/2006, 04:38 PM

I am going to pull the trigger on an Intel Powerbook when they are released. It will be awesome.

yermom
4/6/2006, 05:04 PM
i think they are having problems with the first run of them, i'm hearing recall

the next ones should be better

sooneron
4/6/2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I always wait until after the first run on any new tech. Macs esp.

mrowl
4/6/2006, 05:31 PM
i think they are having problems with the first run of them, i'm hearing recall

the next ones should be better

thats the Macbook Pro (heat problems), the powerbook is suppose to be out in the summer.

yermom
4/6/2006, 05:33 PM
i had no idea they were still doing Powerbooks, i thought they were just replacing them with the Macbook Pro, since you can't buy the 15" Powerbooks anymore