PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owls

VeeJay
4/5/2006, 11:36 AM
I got a pair of them that's done gone and dug up a tunnel in my front yard.

According to the innerwebs, they're a protected species, so I can't go and "harass" them, meaning evict them off my place, play rock music in front of their nest, or crack jokes about them, I reckon.

What I should do is invite Lady Asshat over and then ask her to watch while I dynamite the hole

Anyway, it's kind of cool. Everything I found about the little critters online is exactly what I've seen them doing so far. The internets say there should be eggs and new owls with in 4-6 weeks. Last night, I saw one standing over the hole and the other'n in a newly planted tree in front of the house.

Pics later.

Howzit
4/5/2006, 11:42 AM
About 10 or 15 years ago the company I worked for was going to expand a frozen foods warehouse out around the Bay area. It was discovered that there were burrowing owls in the field that would be dug up, and we could not even break ground until every single one was re-located to the satisfaction of both local and state of California officials. And you ain't lived until you try and pacify state of CA officials when it comes to protected species.

It ended up delaying the project a year and a half, and we were afraid to even estimate how many $.

The end.

Jimminy Crimson
4/5/2006, 11:46 AM
Just go put a sprinkler and hose out in the general vicinity.

I mean you're just watering your yard, right? :texan:

Fugue
4/5/2006, 11:47 AM
I got a pair of them that's done gone and dug up a tunnel in my front yard.

According to the innerwebs, they're a protected species, so I can't go and "harass" them, meaning evict them off my place, play rock music in front of their nest, or crack jokes about them, I reckon.

You're gonna be upset when you find out later that it's just a local owl sh*thole. :eddie:

Mjcpr
4/5/2006, 11:48 AM
About 10 or 15 years ago the company I worked for was going to expand a frozen foods warehouse out around the Bay area. It was discovered that there were burrowing owls in the field that would be dug up, and we could not even break ground until every single one was re-located to the satisfaction of both local and state of California officials. And you ain't lived until you try and pacify state of CA officials when it comes to protected species.

It ended up delaying the project a year and a half, and we were afraid to even estimate how many $.

The end.

Shoulda built it in Oklahoma. In fact, we've got a fancy, unoccupied warehouse just waiting for you at Admiral and 145th E Ave.

Happy 11k!

Howzit
4/5/2006, 11:52 AM
Shoulda built it in Oklahoma. In fact, we've got a fancy, unoccupied warehouse just waiting for you at Admiral and 145th E Ave.

Happy 11k!

Eh, that company went belly-up anyway. I think the ex-officers are still blaming it on the damn owls.

BoogercountySooner
4/5/2006, 11:56 AM
WWDD?

sooneron
4/5/2006, 11:56 AM
Eh, that company went belly-up anyway. I think the ex-officers are still blaming it on the damn owls.
but not their expense accounts or paid for golf club memberships, right?

Howzit
4/5/2006, 12:00 PM
but not their expense aanesccounts or paid for golf club memberships, right?

NO!!! I SAID IT WAS THE OWLS!!!

:D

And they're damn lucky this was pre-Sarbanes-Oxley or some of those owls may have done time.

handcrafted
4/5/2006, 12:03 PM
Mustard gas is always an option.

crawfish
4/5/2006, 12:37 PM
"Burrowing Owls" would be a great name for a band!

GDC
4/5/2006, 01:57 PM
When you see an owl, someone's gonna die.

Hamhock
4/5/2006, 02:17 PM
I've heard that saying. Fortunately, I've had a gun with me when I saw an owl. It was either me or him...

BoogercountySooner
4/5/2006, 02:50 PM
WWDD What would Dean Do?

VeeJay
4/5/2006, 02:53 PM
Just go put a sprinkler and hose out in the general vicinity.

I mean you're just watering your yard, right? :texan:

The automatic sprinkler is on the blink, so there are some patches where the grass ain't looking too good. It's dry as a bone here, too. We need some hurricanes for the rain so's the owls will go someplace else.