PDA

View Full Version : NO TURGEON!

Vegas Sooner
4/5/2006, 11:21 AM
.......NO! Come on Joe--We are a better program than that. Please, no MVC coaches.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/5/2006, 11:43 AM
.......NO! Come on Joe--We are a better program than that. Please, no MVC coaches.

Not that I necessarily disagree but John Wooden coached at Indiana St.

I am somewhat ambivalent toward Turgeon. I think we can do better but we can definitely do worse. If we don't get a big name like Calipari, Wright or maybe Hobbs then I think Turgeon would be a decent hire.

oumartin
4/5/2006, 11:49 AM
you guys know that calipari has only been to the NCAA tournament 8 out of his 14 years as a college coach. I love the guy but just sayin' I heard this today..

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/5/2006, 11:54 AM
you guys know that calipari has only been to the NCAA tournament 8 out of his 14 years as a college coach. I love the guy but just sayin' I heard this today..

True, but he did turn around Memphis almost immediately and they won the NIT and are now a top 5 team. I think he is one of the few coaches that could win a NC at OU. I think his offensive style is pretty much a variation of streetball but it works.

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 12:25 PM
I think I would like to have:

1. Wright
2. Calipari
3. Hewitt
4. Skinner
5. Haith
6. Montgomerry
7. Hobbs

after that....we should start to worry.

oumartin
4/5/2006, 12:33 PM
montgomery already said he has no interest. he left a better job back at stanford than oklahoma

C&CDean
4/5/2006, 01:16 PM
Like I said before, you "Sampson Sucks" dweebs will be pining for Kelvin when it's all over with.

Jimminy Crimson
4/5/2006, 01:20 PM
I think I would like to have:

1. Wright
2. Calipari
3. Hewitt
4. Skinner
5. Haith
6. Montgomerry
7. Hobbs

after that....we should start to worry.

I like the list, minus Haith. Good job.

Jimminy Crimson
4/5/2006, 01:21 PM
Like I said before, you "Sampson Sucks" dweebs will be pining for Kelvin when it's all over with.

I wonder how long it will take for Sampson's legacy to surpass that of Billy's. The previous basketball coach at OU is held in the same regard as the backup quarterback. :cool:

oumartin
4/5/2006, 01:21 PM
I thought we quit talking about sampson

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/5/2006, 01:51 PM

A metaphor that an MU fan used after KSU got Huggins was that KSU was "banging the hot skank while MU couldn't even hook up with the fat chick."

NormanPride
4/5/2006, 01:57 PM
I thought we quit talking about sampson

Oh HELL no. We're rubbin' this **** in ALL day. You ran that muhfugga off, and we're gonna let you know.

:D

GDC
4/5/2006, 02:04 PM

As usual, Dean is probably right about this.

oumartin
4/5/2006, 02:07 PM
while its true I arranged the KS to IU thing and its true I had them freeze his salary and its true Joe and I were gonna squeeze him outta norman I'm a bit upset that you guys are still hanging on

Vegas Sooner
4/5/2006, 02:17 PM

I have always supported Kelvin,...and I have been saying this all along too. Now we have to here about coaches like Turgeon????????????????? :mad:

OUstud
4/5/2006, 03:47 PM
Hobbs, Hewitt, Pelphry, Haith, or Johnny Dawkins. Outside of those, I'll be worried.

Vegas Sooner
4/5/2006, 04:17 PM
..just no turgeon

GottaHavePride
4/5/2006, 05:46 PM
I guess I don't get the dislike for Turgeon. He's done a really good job turning Wichita State's program around.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/5/2006, 06:06 PM
Some crazy people think that OU should be in the running for the Roy Williams, Coach K's, and Phil Jackson's of the world. You can argue Calipari is taking a step down by coming to OU. You could argue Villanova is a better job as well. IT doesn't make much sense for an up and coming coach to move laterally at this point.

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:15 PM
well we are better than a MVC coach!

crawfish
4/6/2006, 03:22 PM
Where, exactly, should a coach go to prepare to be the HC for a school like OU?

He took a MVC team to the SWEET 16. Something Sampson couldn't do at OU for five years. That's qualification enough for me.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/6/2006, 03:30 PM
He took a MVC team to the SWEET 16. Something Sampson couldn't do at OU for five years. That's qualification enough for me.

Well if it were up to me I'd say a few years at Memphis would do. :D

Vegas Sooner
4/6/2006, 03:32 PM

B/c I feel like we would be settling for a coach. Joe should be going after coaches like Wright or Skinner.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, because an MVC coach is clearly unqualified to replace the coach we picked up from the Big Sky conference...

PrideTrombone
4/6/2006, 04:52 PM
Yes, because an MVC coach is clearly unqualified to replace the coach we picked up from the Big Sky conference...

We got Kelvin from the Pac 10, didn't we?

GottaHavePride
4/6/2006, 05:23 PM
My bad. I had multiple confusions running. Washinton State, Montana State, Montana Tech... whatever.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/6/2006, 06:07 PM
Well these people that didn't like Sampson and think that Sampson was the worst coach ever aren't going to be happy regardless of what happens. We aren't going to get Calipari or anyone that has had success at any power conference. They are going to say why does OU have to settle for Tom RinkyDink from Popcorn U. Then we can rewind to 1999 and hear their voices saying why is our program hiring some rinky dink cordinator from Florida. Then they will say something like why can't we get Parcells or Jimmy Johnson or someone.

GDC
4/6/2006, 06:34 PM
Sherri came from a high school, this doesn't wash.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/6/2006, 08:50 PM
Billy Tubbs came from Lamar and he is the greatest coach to ever end up back at Lamar!!!

OUstud
4/6/2006, 10:28 PM
Consider: Calvin led Wazzu to 1 NCAA appearance, in his last year.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/7/2006, 08:25 AM
Well these people that didn't like Sampson and think that Sampson was the worst coach ever aren't going to be happy regardless of what happens. We aren't going to get Calipari or anyone that has had success at any power conference. They are going to say why does OU have to settle for Tom RinkyDink from Popcorn U. Then we can rewind to 1999 and hear their voices saying why is our program hiring some rinky dink cordinator from Florida. Then they will say something like why can't we get Parcells or Jimmy Johnson or someone.

Hammer meet nail.

I don't understand why we can't talk Coach K out to the plains. Let's just offer him $5 mil a year. Of course, he lost to a lower seeded team this year so he's really not that good.

soonervegas
4/7/2006, 10:35 AM
Turgeon is really a win-win for the OU fans.

If it works he could take us to the next level as a program (more NCAA tourney success)

If it doesn't, 4 years from now we get to see clever signs like at the LNC like:

Joe C-

Make sure you don't forget to flush your Tur(d)geon.

Sincerely,

C&C Dean

Vegas Sooner
4/8/2006, 07:26 PM
...no he is not--he sucks. Dude--I bet you dont even live here.

toast
12/8/2010, 04:50 PM

I don't know exactly who the KS bashers were, but after reading 04's thread today I remembered this post from Dean. Don't know if I'm "pining" for Kelvin yet, but Capel is making him look better right now.

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 04:59 PM
Sampson was a fantastic coach, but he cheated. I do not want him back.

Boomer.....
12/8/2010, 05:03 PM
He seemed to be a consistent good coach but could never go much further than that. (Yes, I know he went to the Final 4 with Price)

badger
12/8/2010, 05:05 PM
Sherri came from a high school, this doesn't wash.

Sherri also cried after the many losses her early teams endured. It took players like Stacey Dales, LaNeisha Caufield and Roz Ross to turn our brink-of-elimination womens program around.

It might be too much to ask Jeff Capel to cry after losses, but it'd be something.

...sooner
12/8/2010, 05:24 PM
Sampson was a fantastic coach, but he cheated. I do not want him back.

--this

He seemed to be a consistent good coach but could never go much further than that. (Yes, I know he went to the Final 4 with Price)

--this.

also if you want to bash capel for his players leaving i remember a good amount of players that left under sampson... maybe capel ran some of those kids off ex: allen/willis but sh*t heads like tiny & tmg youre pretty much screwed.
mckenzie.. alexander.. turner just 3 off the top of my head are ones that left with sampson.

im not on the "fire capel" bandwagon juuust yet. he needs a couple years to turn this thing around. if he doesnt then give him the boot but at least let him get some more talented guys in here & see what happens. im just glad we were able to get people on our team this year. & these guys may not be the best on the court but so far they all seem to have the heads on straight & arent going to be an embarrassment to the school like some were last year. ive heard nothing but positive things about washington, blair, obviously davis, neal.