PDA

View Full Version : BBJ on newschannel 4 last night

oumartin
4/5/2006, 08:01 AM
said Wichita State is throwing more money at Turgeon, the Miami coach is happy where he is and that a new candidate has emerged. North Carolina assistant Holladay. Used to play at OU. Gosh this would be going from home run to bunt.

CobraKai
4/5/2006, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the baseball search. I guess it sounds like most of Joe C's hires, other than Stoops.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/5/2006, 08:24 AM
So you are saying that the rumor I'm about to start about Calipari being spotted in Goldies in Norman isn't true?

OklahomaTuba
4/5/2006, 08:30 AM
Maybe Joe C should hire the guy that found stoops again, instead of trying to do this on his own.

GDC
4/5/2006, 08:50 AM
Search continues for Sooner coach
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/5/2006

NORMAN -- Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione spoke with the media for 90 minutes last Wednesday, right before launching his quest to replace Sooner basketball coach Kelvin Sampson.

Then he vowed he was done talking about the issue until he could introduce the next coach and has said almost nothing publicly since then.

Castiglione has been so secretive that those inside both OU's athletic department and its basketball program have asked inquiring media what they know.

On the fringe, while rumors have run wild, solid information has gone dry. The World has reached just one supposed Sooner candidate directly, Wichita State coach Mark Turgeon, who was in Indianapolis for the Final Four.

Turgeon had little to say: "I don't want to comment on that right now."

Then he disappeared back into the Final Four frenzy, not to be heard from again. Not yet, anyway.

Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus told the Wichita Eagle he was encouraged by the talks he'd had with Turgeon over a contract extension. But then, as of late Tuesday, no extension had been signed.

Earlier Tuesday, sources close to Turgeon said the six-year Shocker coach was extremely

happy working for Schaus at Wichita State. However, they also said Turgeon would be extremely interested in OU, and guessed that if Castiglione hadn't made contact with Turgeon, he had with Roy Williams, the North Carolina coach who has known Turgeon since the two worked together on Williams' first Kansas staff in 1988, to gauge Turgeon's interest.

Where does that leave other potential candidates?

Villanova's Jay Wright, Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt, Miami's Frank Haith and Creighton's Dana Altman all told media outlets they were happy right where they were.

Of course, that's what Sampson said two weeks before packing his bags for Indiana.

Charlotte's Bobby Lutz and Oregon's Ernie Kent told their local papers they had not been contacted. No word yet on George Washington's Karl Hobbs. GW athletic director Jack Kvancz, who granted Cincinnati permission to speak to Hobbs about the Bearcats' recent vacancy, was out of the office Tuesday and did not return phone calls.

Then there is Memphis' John Calipari, whose reported interest in OU late last week revved up Sooner fans.

Sooner fans can see him, but they'll have to turn on Fox Sports' "Best Damn Sports Show" to do so. According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Calipari is scheduled to host the program Wednesday. Then he'll be off recruiting, and then, maybe, he'll visit Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson about fattening his $1.5 million-a-year contract.

And, the Commercial Appeal reported, Johnson has not taken a single call requesting permission to speak with his coach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

jk the sooner fan
4/5/2006, 08:55 AM
the DO mentioned the GaTech coach as an outside possibility

TopDawg
4/5/2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds like the baseball search. I guess it sounds like most of Joe C's hires, other than Stoops.

I think the general Sooner reaction when Stoops was hired was a resounding "errrm...who?"

Collier11
4/5/2006, 09:01 AM
So you are saying that the rumor I'm about to start about Calipari being spotted in Goldies in Norman isn't true?

I knew calipari loved that pickle bar!

Harry Beanbag
4/5/2006, 09:10 AM
Maybe Joe C should hire the guy that found stoops again, instead of trying to do this on his own.

I could have sworn he did that one on his own too...

oumartin
4/5/2006, 09:11 AM
oh, so its an actualy goldies with the plane through the roof in norman? cool.
yeah, that'll get calipari here for sure! :D

CobraKai
4/5/2006, 10:11 AM
I think the general Sooner reaction when Stoops was hired was a resounding "errrm...who?"

Indeed

CobraKai
4/5/2006, 10:13 AM
I could have sworn he did that one on his own too...

I thought Chuck Nienas worked with Joe on the Stoops hire.

SoonerShark
4/5/2006, 10:36 AM
said Wichita State is throwing more money at Turgeon, the Miami coach is happy where he is and that a new candidate has emerged. North Carolina assistant Holladay. Used to play at OU. Gosh this would be going from home run to bunt.

UNC Assistant Coach Joe Holladay played basketball for OU in the late 60s and was our team captain in 1969. He served as a coach and/or athletic director at several Oklahoma high schools. He met Roy Williams and Dean Smith in the 80s and coached with Coach Williams since the early 1990s.

Wasn't he a candidate when Kelvin was hired in 1994?

boomersooner28
4/5/2006, 10:50 AM
Indiana was so frickin secretive about hiring Sampson, Joe C. is trying to be MORE secretive...if possible.

Collier11
4/5/2006, 10:57 AM
Neinas helps broker the deal, im pretty sure Joe C finds who he wants first?

Jimminy Crimson
4/5/2006, 11:27 AM
Gosh this would be going from home run to bunt.

More like a foul bunt on a 3-2 count! :mad:

oumartin
4/5/2006, 11:31 AM
ah, or letting the pitcher swing away

TopDawg
4/5/2006, 12:36 PM
Neinas helps broker the deal, im pretty sure Joe C finds who he wants first?

I think it's the other way around. When you contact Neinas you tell him what you're looking for and he gives you a list of the top 10-15 candidates that meet that criteria and then maybe does some consulting along the way.

I think.

CobraKai
4/5/2006, 01:39 PM
I think it's the other way around. When you contact Neinas you tell him what you're looking for and he gives you a list of the top 10-15 candidates that meet that criteria and then maybe does some consulting along the way.

I think.

That is my understanding as well.

oumartin
4/5/2006, 01:42 PM
its time I told you guys this. I found bob stoops and If Joe would contact me again I'd land wright or calipari.

RacerX
4/5/2006, 02:16 PM

Everybody wanted Jim Donnan.....

Jimminy Crimson
4/5/2006, 02:26 PM
Everybody wanted Jim Donnan.....

Or Gary Barnett... :O

King Crimson
4/5/2006, 02:32 PM
Or Gary Barnett... :O

...or Fran.

GDC
4/5/2006, 02:51 PM
...or Fran.

or New-weasel

CobraKai
4/5/2006, 03:08 PM
or New-weasel

Or Shanahan

Harry Beanbag
4/5/2006, 03:11 PM
Or Shanahan

or Switzer...

OUstud
4/5/2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe hiring an assistant from a big school would be good...it worked last time. Of course, Holladay's age could be a factor.

GottaHavePride
4/5/2006, 05:53 PM
Bennie Seltzer for head coach!

;)

GDC
4/5/2006, 06:56 PM
Rabedeaux

Ruprecht
4/5/2006, 07:30 PM
A riddle: What happens when a pretty darn good basketball school continues to show a lack of support for its basketball coaches, makes it painfully obvious that football is the only sport that matters and gives them only a luke warm reception in the best of times, despite a good string of 24 win seasons, and instead of luading the with a laurel crown of achievement, saddles them instead with a thorny crown of unreasonable expectations?

Answer: No one wants the job.