PDA

View Full Version : Here's the part I don't get...

Okla-homey
4/4/2006, 02:27 PM
If the below is true, and these migrant d00ds can make a living in NOLA, why can't able-bodied former residents who have headed out and are awaiting further "assistance" do so? Makes you go, "hmmmm?"

Migrants Find a Gold Rush in New Orleans

Word spread to Latino laborers as Katrina's floodwaters ebbed: There is work with good money and no questions about papers.

By Sam Quinones, LA Times Staff Writer
April 4, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — As the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina receded in September, roads filled with residents leaving the city, their cars, SUVs and moving vans jammed with what they had salvaged of their lives.

But another mass movement was taking place on the other sides of the highways.

Thousands of men from Mexico and Central America were driving into the city. Word had spread throughout the Latino immigrant diaspora in America that the city had plenty of work, construction wages had doubled to $16 an hour and no one was asking for papers.

"It was like a Gold Rush," said Oscar Calanche, a Guatemalan immigrant who lived in New Orleans before the storm and returned as soon as the waters receded. "In one car there'd be three up front and three or four in the back, with suitcases and tools on top. It looked like a river of people from our countries."

Latino workers have gutted, roofed and painted houses and hauled away garbage, debris and downed trees. Undocumented workers have installed trailers to house returning evacuees at New Orleans City Park, their pay coming from FEMA subcontractors.

"It's all illegals doing this work," said Rey Mendez, a FEMA trailer subcontractor from Honduras.

No one knows how many Latino immigrants are here, but John Logan, a Brown University demographer who has studied the city since Katrina, says "there must be 10,000 to 20,000 immigrant workers in the region by now, and the number is going to grow."

As the Senate debates new immigration laws and marchers demonstrate across the country, these immigrants offer another reminder of the country's reliance on undocumented labor from Latin America.

As New Orleans redefines itself after Katrina, the influx of large numbers of Latino immigrants is another jolt for a city that has historically thought of itself as black and white.

A port town owned at times by three different countries, New Orleans once absorbed immigrants.

While the South's feeble economy, racism and xenophobia kept out new people and influences, New Orleans took in waves of newcomers — Italians, Greeks, Germans and Irish — in the decades before World War I. Later arrivals came from Honduras, Cuba and Vietnam.

But beginning in the 1970s, the port downsized, businesses left town, wages fell, welfare rolls and crime rose as the public education system collapsed. A black underclass took low-skilled, low-wage jobs. Fewer immigrants moved to town.

The rest of the South, meanwhile, became what New Orleans had been: Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville and Charlotte saw tens of thousands of Mexicans arrive, taking jobs in hotels, restaurants, construction and landscaping. Mexicans slaughtered pigs in Guymon, Okla., and made carpeting in Dalton, Ga. Historians call their arrival the largest influx of foreign workers to the South since the days of slavery.

But New Orleans' listless economy was hardly a magnet for such workers.

According to the 2004 U.S. Census, New Orleans had 1,900 Mexicans. Nashville had 80,000 Mexican immigrants by 2000, city officials there estimated.

Before Katrina, the Latinos in New Orleans, mostly middle class, made up about 3% of the population.

"We were the first melting pot city in America," said Lawrence Powell, a Tulane University historian. "It's striking that those great waves of immigration from Mexico passed us by."

But that changed in September.

Leonel Santos was working in Virginia when a New Orleans roofing contractor he knew from his hometown of San Francisco del Mezquital, in Mexico's Durango state, called. The contractor sent a car that picked up Santos and seven other workers in Virginia and North Carolina and brought them to New Orleans.

"We were packed like matchsticks," Santos said.

yermom
4/4/2006, 02:28 PM
because they do the jobs the blacks don't even want

IronSooner
4/4/2006, 02:31 PM
So does that make NOLA a milk chocolate city now?

Jimminy Crimson
4/4/2006, 02:32 PM
The people who aren't going back and living off of gov't handouts more than likely weren't employed earlier and sucking off the gov't teet to begin with. :mad:

yermom
4/4/2006, 02:33 PM

more of a Cafe Mocha

Jimminy Crimson
4/4/2006, 02:35 PM

ˇAhora con Límon!

yermom
4/4/2006, 02:36 PM
:confused:

jeremy885
4/4/2006, 02:37 PM
construction wages had doubled to $16 an hour

Seems like a good hourly wage to me.

33K a year

IronSooner
4/4/2006, 02:37 PM

While Fox and others have taken a little heat for saying this, there's no doubt it's the case. Look at construction and landscaping and dishwashing.

Harry Beanbag
4/4/2006, 02:43 PM
While Fox and others have taken a little heat for saying this, there's no doubt it's the case. Look at construction and landscaping and dishwashing.

It's not that Americans won't do these jobs, it's that companies won't pay Americans a fair wage in order to live their American lifestyle when they can pay people much less who won't be buying houses and new cars and paying taxes and other normal American things like that. It's a vicious circle that is getting worse every day.

BeetDigger
4/4/2006, 02:44 PM

33K a year

Which puts them into the highest of the high income bracket in Mexico. They work for three years, living miserly here and saving every peso they can, and then they go back to Messico and buy a farm and live happily ever after.

Osce0la
4/4/2006, 02:48 PM
Which puts them into the highest of the high income bracket in Mexico. They work for three years, living miserly here and saving every peso they can, and then they go back to Messico and buy a farm and live happily ever after.

Exactly...Work hard and save $$$ here (at the cost of a few years of crummy living) and head back to Mexico and live like royalty...The problem with New Orleans is the people that did live there want it rebuilt, but they don't want to have part in any of the rebuilding. As one person already stated, most that are still living off the government elsewhere were already living off the government when they were in NOLA.

jeremy885
4/4/2006, 02:48 PM

I was talking about for the residents of NOLA.

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 02:52 PM
Don't you think the construction job market is a little better now than before Katrina?

Okla-homey
4/4/2006, 02:53 PM

Mi amigo,

33K would put a guy into the high income bracket in my hometown of Ardmore and definitely in Marietta OK.

just saying.

IronSooner
4/4/2006, 03:10 PM
It's not that Americans won't do these jobs, it's that companies won't pay Americans a fair wage in order to live their American lifestyle when they can pay people much less who won't be buying houses and new cars and paying taxes and other normal American things like that. It's a vicious circle that is getting worse every day.

My full point was that Americans won't take those jobs at the pay rates that come with them. Messicans will, and will be damn glad for the opportunity, because as has been stated a few times already, that makes you rich in Mexico. That's why I don't expect there to ever be some kind of mass deportation. Businesses like the cheap labor far too much and have no incentive to change.

slickdawg
4/4/2006, 03:12 PM
this is because most of the lazy f**kers that left NOLA don't want to work.

They love LBJ's "great society" and expect it to completely take care of them.

Harry Beanbag
4/4/2006, 03:21 PM
My full point was that Americans won't take those jobs at the pay rates that come with them. Messicans will, and will be damn glad for the opportunity, because as has been stated a few times already, that makes you rich in Mexico. That's why I don't expect there to ever be some kind of mass deportation. Businesses like the cheap labor far too much and have no incentive to change.

We have laws against hiring people who aren't allowed to work in this country. Perhaps they should be enforced.

Jimminy Crimson
4/4/2006, 03:23 PM
We have laws against hiring people who aren't allowed to work in this country. Perhaps they should be enforced.

But that discriminates! :rolleyes:

yermom
4/4/2006, 03:28 PM
yeah, it discriminates against the Americans now

i wish my employer could pay me under the table and i didn't have to report my income

Beef
4/4/2006, 03:29 PM
Look at construction and landscaping and dishwashing.
I washed dishes in college and I'm not Mexican. Of course, my wages went straight back to my employer for my bar tab.

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 03:29 PM
yeah, it discriminates against the white guys now

i wish my employer could pay me under the table and i didn't have to report my income

You'd work for $20/day?

yermom
4/4/2006, 03:30 PM
no, but "requiring papers" being "discriminatory" is bull

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 03:32 PM
no, but "requiring papers" being "discriminatory" is bull

Oh, I didn't see that. Yeah, that's bull.

Beef
4/4/2006, 03:36 PM
yeah, it discriminates against the Americans now

Stan would turn you in.

yermom
4/4/2006, 03:37 PM
Stan would turn you in.

not if i shanked him

NormanPride
4/4/2006, 03:40 PM
Here's what would happen if we kicked all the illegals out, in general terms.

Businesses are forced to hire legal workers at much MUCH higher rates, thus increasing their cost of business. This forces them to raise prices in order to maintain current earnings/simply stay afloat. Higher prices raise the cost of living for everyone, and push some people out of the market.

Businesses fail. Companies are forced to merge to stay alive. In the end, you get a more divided wealth base, where most of the nation is poor, and a few business owners are very rich.

Basically, no illegals = higher cost of living and fewer small businesses. That's exactly what everyone wants, right? :D

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 03:42 PM
Stan would turn you in.

yermom can just turn his Oklahoma-license-having *** in for retaliation.

TUSooner
4/4/2006, 03:50 PM
I belive that's wrong. They are working at "decent" semi-skilled and skilled jobs, not the lowest of menial labor.
I think the answer is much simpler:
It's...
[ http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/5764/krebs31cd.gif ] WORK!?! [/ http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/5764/krebs31cd.gif ]

For you young whippersnappers, that is the original TV beatnik, Maynard G. Krebs.

1stTimeCaller
4/4/2006, 03:51 PM
I would have to assume that that $16/hr rate would be for unskilled labor. Not bad, especially for unskilled labor.

I have a friend that went to work down there for a while. He ran a few crews running bobcats that pushed the debris from yards into the streets where another company with larger equipment would haul it off. He said that for every bobcat he needed 3 people; an operator and two flagmen. He said that the flagmen did nothing all day other than to stand in the street and make sure the bobcat didn't hit any other construction equipment. To his knowledge this requirement for the flagmen was from either FEMA or the Corps of Engineers.

TUSooner
4/4/2006, 03:51 PM
The people who aren't going back and living off of gov't handouts more than likely weren't employed earlier and sucking off the gov't teet to begin with. :mad:
Could be.... but isn't that a RACIST thing to say?!
;)

Harry Beanbag
4/4/2006, 04:01 PM
You'd work for $20/day?

Out here, illegal Mexicans earn $12 an hour as a starting wage to frame houses, which is only a couple bucks less than a legal person would earn. Of course Phoenix is an anomaly and not really comparable to most places right now.

Stoop Dawg
4/4/2006, 06:19 PM

33K a year

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're talking about working, what, 40 hours a week? C'mon man, nobody's gonna go for that. How about you pay me double and I stay home? Deal?

OUHOMER
4/4/2006, 06:53 PM
Here's what would happen if we kicked all the illegals out, in general terms.

Businesses are forced to hire legal workers at much MUCH higher rates, thus increasing their cost of business. This forces them to raise prices in order to maintain current earnings/simply stay afloat. Higher prices raise the cost of living for everyone, and push some people out of the market.

Businesses fail. Companies are forced to merge to stay alive. In the end, you get a more divided wealth base, where most of the nation is poor, and a few business owners are very rich.

Basically, no illegals = higher cost of living and fewer small businesses. That's exactly what everyone wants, right? :D

Dont know if that is a true. I have a friend in concrete biz.. he charges the same for every job.. so much a yard... But hes sayes he makes a lot more cash with the mexicans...

SoonerInKCMO
4/4/2006, 07:41 PM

Exactly. Last week when the protests were going on, the KC Star interviewed a few protestors and what one of the guys (from Mexico) said kind of stuck with me. "America isn't where you live, it's where you work. You work here for a few years and then go home and relax." Kind of explains why many illegals don't want to bother with assimilating or even becoming legal - they're just visiting.

Not that much different in concept than engineers and geologists from here that go to the Middle East for a couple of years of six-figure salary before coming back home. Well, except for the illegal part.

NormanPride
4/4/2006, 08:00 PM
Dont know if that is a true. I have a friend in concrete biz.. he charges the same for every job.. so much a yard... But hes sayes he makes a lot more cash with the mexicans...

Interesting. I imagine there are cases like this out there...

The other extreme to my argument is that if we lost all the illegals, we just wouldn't have enough manpower to run the country. The assumtion being that the people who want to work are working already, and an increase in the need for jobs won't get the others off their lazy asses.

TUSooner
4/4/2006, 08:04 PM
***[A]n increase in the need for jobs won't get the others off their lazy asses.

Hear him !! Hear! HEAR!

Wisdom of the ages, right here.