PDA

View Full Version : Early Heisman Fav's

boomersooner28
4/4/2006, 09:41 AM
Tuesday Question
Give five early Heisman favorites and one wacky choice

Pete Fiutak
Q: Give your top five Heisman candidates and one wacky, off-the-wall pick.

A: To be a true Heisman candidate you need to be a quarterback or a running back with three things. 1) Ridiculous stats, 2) a national-title caliber team to play on and 3) national attention that only comes from TV. You might assume that the last part automatically screws over players likely Cal's Marshawn Lynch, but it hurt Vince Young last year, too. How many were able to find Texas games on a regular basis on their local channels? With that in mind ...

5. QB Drew Weatherford, Florida State - It's a bit nutty, but the Heisman race usually is. Weatherford has been fantastic so far this spring and he should be in the hunt for ACC Player of the Year if Florida State plays as well as expected. A win over Miami in the season opener would set the Heisman wheels in motion.

4. QB Brian Brohm, Louisville - He has the schedule, he has the offense, he has the receivers, and he has two monster showcase games against Miami and West Virginia that'll have the entire college football world watching.

3. QB Mark Sanchez, USC - The only question for the starting USC quarterback is whether or not there will be a Trojan backlash after winning three of the last four Heismans. John David Booty should be back from his bulging disk surgery in time to roll for the start of the season, but it might be too late. Sanchez is a big-time talent with the nation's best receiving corps to throw to. 35 touchdown passes shouldn't be a problem, and neither should another good run for a national title. Put Booty in this spot if he ends up starting.

2. QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame - November 25th at USC. That will either make or break the Award for Quinn, who'll have several big chances to shine on a national stage early in the season against Penn State, Michigan, UCLA, and others. The skiy's the limit now that he knows what he's doing in the Charlie Weis offense.

1. RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma - He probably should've won it two years ago and voters will realize that now. Peterson might be one of the few players who doesn't need his team to go unbeaten to win the top prize as long as he flirts with the 2,000-yard mark and goes nuts against teams like Oregon and Texas.

(Note: No Troy Smith. Why? Average stats and a predicted loss at Texas. A win over the Longhorns puts him in the top three.)

My off-the-wall pick ... QB Zac Taylor, Nebraska - Getting chances to put up big stats won't be a problem in the Husker offense, even with more balance this year. If the Huskers beat USC at USC on September 16th, look for Taylor's profile to go through the roof.Have a TQ? E-mail us with your ideas.

Richard Cirminiello

A: 1. QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame – Let’s see. Notre Dame quarterback. Returning finalist for the award. Future high first-round draft choice. Second year in a fine-tuned offensive system. Favorite target is back. Yeah, the Irish Heisman machine is already hitting on all cylinders and has enough fuel to last the entire season.

2. RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma – We hope you got a good snapshot of Peterson’s brief bout with mediocrity in the first half of 2005. It may have been the final time we’ll see that until the tail end of his NFL career. Peterson is the best all-around college football player in America, but he still needs quarterback Rhett Bomar to elevate his game in order to keep opposing defenses from crowding the box to stop No. 28.

3. QB Chris Leak, Florida – Leak’s up-and-down 2005 season saw him account for 26 touchdowns, 3,000 yards and just a half-dozen interceptions. He should be much more comfortable in his second season in Urban Meyer’s offense, and if he winds up being downright cozy, look out.

4. QB Troy Smith, Ohio State – Few quarterbacks were better than Smith from the end of last September on, and if the Buckeyes are up to their lofty pre-season ranking, he’s a safe bet to be in the mix from start to finish. Like Vince Young last September, this fall’s game between Texas and Ohio State will be an early harbinger of Smith’s Heisman viability.

5. RB Michael Bush, Louisville – Bush and Heisman just seem to belong in the same sentence these days. Plus, Louisville just might wind up being the Beast of the East in 2006 that most of us thought they’d be a year ago. Bush scored 24 touchdowns in only 10 games last year, and as the focal point of the Louisville attack once again, will be equally prodigious.

Wacky, off-the-wall pick – QB Mark Sanchez, USC – These days, if you’re the starting quarterback at USC, you should automatically begin the Heisman race in the Top 20. Sanchez is a monster talent, and if John David Booty’s back problems linger, those skills could be on display as early as this fall. The redshirt freshman has never thrown a collegiate pass, but then again, neither did Matt Leinart the year before he went ballistic for 38 touchdowns and more than 3,500 yards.
John Harris

A: Last year, this one was easy, well, at least the top three anyway. This year? It ought to at least be interesting. “George Mason in the Final Four” interesting? Maybe not that steep, but ‘fun’ any way you slice it.

1. Troy Smith, Ohio State – Similar to the leverage that Vince Young used off of the Longhorns’ Rose Bowl victory over Michigan in 2005, Smith can utilize his dominating finish to 2005 to boost his stock in 2006. He’ll get the Texas game on the road early as Young did. Oh yeah, Vince didn’t win it, but then again, there’s no Reggie Bush to take it away from Smith.

2. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame – With a consistent senior year, Quinn will be in the mix. Shoot, with a less than dominating year, Quinn will be in the mix. But, he should have a year more toward the former, not the latter. With another strong year under Charlie Weis, a 3,800+ yard effort with 30 to 35 touchdowns is a definite possibility. Finish the season undefeated? It’s his.

3. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma – If healthy – heard that one before – he’s downright scary. With an improved Rhett Bomar able to keep 1,000 guys out of the box, Peterson should be on track to 1,900 yards in a 12 game season. What we saw in the Holiday Bowl, Peterson pimp slapping anything in a different color jersey :D , is what we should see throughout the 2006 season.

4. Steve Slaton, West Virginia – Since the Virginia Tech game last season, I’ve been on the Slaton bandwagon, but the bandwagon got a bit more cramped after the show that he put on in Atlanta against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. He’s as explosive as any back in the nation and the fact that he has QB Pat White to take some pressure off of him could keep running lanes wide open.

5. Jamaal Charles, ***** – This might be a little off the wall, before my off the wall candidate, but Charles, when healthy, was dominant last year. He has track star speed and doesn’t fear contact in the slightest. The loss of Vince Young may ultimately help him as he should get more carries, but that means seeing more guys in the box to stop him (and Ramonce Taylor when he plays RB).

Off the wall Heisman candidate – Derrick Williams, Penn State – Seems that health is a bit of a factor for a lot of these guys on the board and Williams was a guy who missed the last 1/3 of the season. Regardless, Williams makes the Nittany Lions’ offense such a different unit when he’s one of the eleven on the field. When he’s in the lineup, he’s Reggie Bush Lite, and Galen Hall and the offensive staff need to increase his touches throughout this season. When they do, there’s no question about what he can do – rushing, receiving and/or returning.

sooneriniowa
4/4/2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66020

BASSooner
4/4/2006, 09:45 AM
Mark Sanchez????? The kid hasn't even taken a snap yet...

soonertruth12
4/4/2006, 09:59 AM
yeah no kidding....Mark Sanchez.....dude cannot possibly win if he were that good then should just sit out until he is a junior and go pro....why bother even playing to show what you have....these people just gave him a heisman without even seeing the guy practice let alone play in a game

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 10:25 AM
I think it will end up being a race between AD and Troy Smith. The only reason being that tosu will kick Saxet like a rag doll w/out VY and Brady Quinn will drop off sooner than most think. Somebody's D will eat him up for a game and drop him out of the race.

If Troy can beat Saxet, even a big X loss to rival Penn State (too many players to distribute the ball here and there to have a heismanish, stand out type of player, but good enough to win the big X) will be okay for him, but in the end, AD will prevail with an undefeated team going to the Fiesta against Penn State or the criminoles (Weatherford will struggle some and in the end throw too many INT's to contend, plus, the schedule may get the best of them...AD can run the table which will give him lots of points w/voters, plus, he got ripped off 2 years ago and it's high time to reward argueably the best RB in OU FB history)

boomersooner28
4/4/2006, 10:34 AM
I am excited about the fact that I think KW will design plays/screens to get AD the ball out of the backfield. If he catches the ball out of the backfield and gets a full head of steam with a blocker or 2, look out! He could do some serious damage this year catching the football. In AD's case, the numbers will matter some, but I truly think people are just watching to see him mow down defenders, people love how he runs so hard and aggressive...he has an advantage because of this. His numbers don't have to be the best and he can still win the Heisman because he is a throwback, if you will, smashmouth runningback that people love to watch, and everyone already knows who he is.

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 11:09 AM
name recognition will carry him a long way and if those fockers at ESPN, May/Corso/Herby/Fowler/Holtz/Davis, will give us a little love....

sooneron
4/4/2006, 11:11 AM
Zac Taylor was another good WTF??? choice.

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry, but Zac Taylor isn't going to beat USC at LA and he won't beat us in the Big XII either....plus, he'll end up tossing too many int's to justify a heisman...

sdhskr
4/4/2006, 12:15 PM
Zac will have a better season the Bomar...take it to the bank

boomersooner28
4/4/2006, 12:25 PM
And monkeys fly outta my ***.

SoonerMooner
4/4/2006, 12:34 PM

Back away from the crack pipe. Bomar is going to explode and play with a chip on his shoulder and a mean streak that will blow people's mind. Look for Bomar as a fav in next year's heisman race. Yes, he's that good - and he wants it more than anyone on the planet.

And our o-line will be steamrolling people - too much talent and too much beef.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/4/2006, 12:50 PM
yeah no kidding....Mark Sanchez.....dude cannot possibly win if he were that good then should just sit out until he is a junior and go pro....why bother even playing to show what you have....these people just gave him a heisman without even seeing the guy practice let alone play in a game

This is the kind of **** that ****es me off about the Heisman. They say Mark Sanchez, and they are right! If he comes in and does a good job, his name will be mentioned with the Heisman, just like Carson Palmer and Matt Lienart.

That being said, why the hell does usc's qbs get a pass and TT's qbs are a product of the system? TT qbs always have better stats than usc's. One is a product and one isn't? What kind of **** is that?

SoonersEnFuego
4/4/2006, 01:05 PM
Ron Freeman "SoonersEnFuego"

1. Adrian Peterson, RB
2. Rhett Bomar, QB
3. Juaquin Iglesias, WR
4. Malcolm Kelly, WR
5. Joey Halzle, QB

Off-the-wall pick: Cody Freeby, P

sooneron
4/4/2006, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but Zac Taylor isn't going to beat USC at LA and he won't beat us in the Big XII either....plus, he'll end up tossing too many int's to justify a heisman...
Comprende???

By saying good wtf choice. That means I am saying it is a big WTF!! As in What the ****!!!

:rolleyes:

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/4/2006, 01:56 PM

And Nebraska will still lose 4-5 games

interesting....

TheGodfather889
4/4/2006, 02:16 PM
And the 72nd Heisman Trophy goes to.................Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma!

sdhskr
4/4/2006, 04:14 PM
I would take Taylor of Bomar at this point any day. It's funny how the shoe is on the other foot now. In 2001 I didn't believe your program would come back either.

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 04:17 PM
I would take Taylor of Bomar at this point any day. It's funny how the shoe is on the other foot now. In 2001 I didn't believe your program would come back either.

Go away troll...

Jello Biafra
4/4/2006, 04:19 PM
Mark Sanchez????? The kid hasn't even taken a snap yet...

buuuuuut...

he's dirty's brother. that dude was crazy good back in the 90s. if he inherited ANY skill from his brother at all.........

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 04:21 PM
Comprende???

By saying good wtf choice. That means I am saying it is a big WTF!! As in What the ****!!!

:rolleyes:

Ease up buddy I'm on your side... I was just stating what I think is a fact. I agree, Zac Taylor for Heisman has got to be the worst WTF pick by any of those jackasses. A good off the wall pick would be someone like Derrick Williams of Penn State or Chad Henne at Michigan, or that QB from Michigan State, someone that's clearly not a favorite at all, but has the possibility of emerging as a front runner if X happens and then Y.... These guys need to be a little more realistic with their picks, even if they are off the wall picks.

Jello Biafra
4/4/2006, 04:30 PM

annnnnd azzhole pogi has a pretty good shot at winning the golden arm award at uco............

pudpounder

RedstickSooner
4/4/2006, 05:14 PM
Notre Lame has a history of ****in' in our cornflakes. Hence, if anyone ruins it for AD, my money is on Brady Quinn.

However, if AD has a great year (in other words, if he don't get hurt), I don't see how he could *not* win the Heisman.

shavedmarmoset
4/4/2006, 05:16 PM
Notre Lame has a history of ****in' in our cornflakes. Hence, if anyone ruins it for AD, my money is on Brady Quinn.

However, if AD has a great year (in other words, if he don't get hurt), I don't see how he could *not* win the Heisman.

I agree. Just playing for ND behind a coach of Weis' caliber makes people take him more seriously as a Heisman candidate. I say he gets second behind AD when all is said and done. For third? Prolly Troy Smith.

sooneron
4/4/2006, 05:32 PM
I think for Quinn to win it, it will take about 3600 + yards and a 34-8 td int ratio.
For AD to win it, it will take about 1950 + yards and about 5.7 + YPC. Not to mention some real highlight runs in the big games and later in the season.

I think AD will have around 1800 or a bit more going into the Big XII game. He can win it that night.

Of course, we have to get there.
Of course, I could be wrong and AD could have 2200 yards by that point and around a 7 YPC, for all I know.

Big Red Ron
4/4/2006, 05:51 PM
I would take Taylor of Bomar at this point any day. It's funny how the shoe is on the other foot now. In 2001 I didn't believe your program would come back either.WOW, considering that in 2001 we had just won the 2000 National Championship, you must be stupid or something.:rolleyes:

goingoneight
4/4/2006, 09:08 PM
Ease up buddy I'm on your side... I was just stating what I think is a fact. I agree, Zac Taylor for Heisman has got to be the worst WTF pick by any of those jackasses. A good off the wall pick would be someone like Derrick Williams of Penn State or Chad Henne at Michigan, or that QB from Michigan State, someone that's clearly not a favorite at all, but has the possibility of emerging as a front runner if X happens and then Y.... These guys need to be a little more realistic with their picks, even if they are off the wall picks.

I don't think ZT is all that bad. You all just don't like him because he plays for Nebbish, and has an offensive strategy as dull as Chuck Long's 05 scheme.

The guy REALLY surprised me with his spiral and his direct-hit ability. That last TD pass in the Alamo Bowl was absolutely beautiful. Given a few years in a better offensive set, he could really be something special for Corncob Calahan. People at OU used to say Vince Young sucked as a QB, and obviously it takes some talent to carry a team on your back to an MNC. He may not be quite as smart as a rock, but the dude could tote the rock any day of the week. Even in his worst hour (2003 RRS), he dazzled the crowd with his running style and moves. ZT is no jitter-bug QB, but he has had to do much the same as Bomar at OU did in 2005. They both had a weak line, young talent across the board, and an OC who believed three plays would do.

ZT= good pocket passer, fast runner, reads D's so-so, pretty passes all day long. rate him 6/10, not a Heisman, but definitely one of two preseason BIG 12 QB fav's.

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 10:45 AM
ZT= good pocket passer, fast runner, reads D's so-so, pretty passes all day long. rate him 6/10, not a Heisman, but definitely one of two preseason BIG 12 QB fav's.

I'll give you that, but my god, who else would you put in at number 2 in the Big XII? The dude from Baylor? I think, or hope, Rhett will break out of his shell this year and live up to the hype he rode in on. He's going to have to if we want any kind of a chance at a NC. There has to be another weapon on our O besides AD and the answer is not AP, it HAS to be Bomar. We've got the WR's, I think the OL is going to step up much bigger this year, and a new OC that isn't afraid to throw on first down....the potential is there. The hopes and dreams of the sooner nation lie in the hands of one Rhett Bomar this year, which should make us all a LITTLE nervous.....