PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Chaney

GDC
4/4/2006, 07:49 AM
Chaney's challenge
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
4/4/2006

BTW product shines in Monday practice, but has work ahead of him.
NORMAN -- The towering pass dropped straight down into the end zone at Oklahoma's practice field last week.

Starting cornerbacks D.J. Wolfe and Reggie Smith waited for it while bracketing reserve wide receiver Quentin Chaney.

Only, there wasn't much they could do when the 6-foot-5 spring-legged Chaney decided to go up and claim one of the highlight-reel catches of OU's spring.

"When it's coming your way, it's you and the ball. You can't worry about where the DB is," Chaney said. "You can worry about all that after you make the catch."

Welcome to the continued education of the former Booker T. Washington standout.

"Quentin Chaney, definitely, each day has been making more plays," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "It's been pleasing. We need him to step up like that."

Chaney has been a Sooner for two years.

He redshirted the first, then caught two passes for 26 yards the second.

The entire time, he has teased coaches with natural gifts some of his fellow wideouts simply do not possess.

"He's got a wealth of talent," said

Kevin Sumlin, who moved to wide receivers coach when Darrell Wyatt joined the Minnesota Vikings staff last Januarly.

"He's a big, strong guy that can change direction, with good hands. He can jump and make plays," Sumlin said.

"But he has to come on and play the way he's capable of playing."

In that regard, Sumlin picks up where Wyatt left off.

"I had a rough season last year," Chaney said.

It started with a dropped would-be touchdown pass at UCLA in game three, then tailed off from there as Chaney vanished from the depth chart. He wasn't strong enough to squeeze Rhett Bomar's pass in Pasadena, nor strong enough to easily shake it off.

"We need him to be physically and mentally tougher," Sumlin said.

Chaney hears the message, he just has to apply it.

"I'm trying to stay on my blocks more, and be more physical in my routes," he said. "When the DB is on you, I've got to get him off. I wasn't consistent with that (last season)."

It is a work in progress. While Chaney did make that leaping, contested grab in practice, he also made just one catch for six yards in OU's two spring scrimmages combined, while being bothered by a sore ankle.

The most encouraging sign, perhaps, is that Chaney recognizes there is progress to be made, and that he plans on making it.

"Last year wasn't what I had hoped, but I'm really looking forward to this one," he said. "I've kind of left that one behind and I'm going after a fresh, new start."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

GDC
4/4/2006, 07:50 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060404_B3_Chane637_b3chaney4.jpg

OU practice report
4/4/2006

On the move: Oklahoma's offense hasn't undergone major surgery under the direction of new coordinator Kevin Wilson this spring. Wilson has his quarterbacks on the move more than old coordinator Chuck Long did.

Other than that, however, the change is subtle. It's more about pace than plan.

And it's taking some time to set in.

"We're trying to get our guys to learn to be an attacking offense," Wilson said. "We want them to be aggressive, but be smart. Right now we're a long way from being smart.

"We need to learn how to do that through this spring and early preseason, or we'll bring (the of fense) back into more of a shell."

Bit of a dropoff: The Sooners anticipate a helpful junior year out of Joe Jon Finley next fall. For one thing, he caught 13 passes for 150 yards last year. For another, he'll head into the season as OU's only tight end with any game experience whatsoever.

So how's it going this spring?

"He's been good, but I think he can play better," OU coach Bob Stoops said. "He's been a little inconsistent catching the ball, which isn't like him. I'd like to see him finish (spring practice) a little stronger

because I think he's capable, and I believe he will."

Nickel back: The Sooners practiced their five-defensive back nickel package some on Monday.

Reggie Smith, who has looked very good since sliding from safety to cornerback before the spring, slid back to safety in the alignment, playing the spot OU calls "Roy" after former All-America Roy Williams.

Lendy Holmes, who has played well since moving from wide receiver to cornerback before spring ball, came in at corner opposite D.J. Wolfe when Smith moved to safety.

Legends Lobby closed: The Legends Lobby inside OU's Barry Switzer Center will be closed Thursday as the exhibits are updated. It is expected the facility will reopen Friday in anticipation of Saturday's Red / White Game..

JohnnyMack
4/4/2006, 09:30 AM
I used to watch Cheney in high school and although he was gifted athletically, his work ethic and toughness were often questioned. Doesn't look like too much has changed. If this d00d ever plays up to his potential, he'll be very hard to stop.

gh55
4/4/2006, 10:14 AM
I think he had shoulder surgery in high school and again after he
came to OU that may have slowed him, so maybe he will still live
up to what the coaches saw in him.

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 10:29 AM
Another thing about Chaney is that it seems to me that he might have been reading the papers a little too often when he was coming to OU from high school. The guy has a pretty big ego from what I've heard and seen outside the Switzer Center. He has wayyyy too much physical talent not to be a great WR. I always thought he could be OUr version of Jarrett or M Williams from SUC, but he's got to get his act together first....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/4/2006, 10:42 AM
I used to watch Cheney in high school and although he was gifted athletically, his work ethic and toughness were often questioned. Doesn't look like too much has changed. If this d00d ever plays up to his potential, he'll be very hard to stop.

describes about 90% of the guys that come out of btw ;)

SoonersEnFuego
4/4/2006, 01:08 PM
I was huge on this guy last year.
Then he played in the games and dropped passes left and right. You're not going to get many chances if you do that damn near every time the ball is thrown your way. I just hope he can put it all together during a game and show his true potential. He's kind of a big deal.

goingoneight
4/4/2006, 09:38 PM
Chaney's uncle lives next door to me, he says things look as great as the media has been saying for QC.

Joe-John dropping passes... never surprising. Move him somewhere else on the OL KW!!! Good blocker, bad reciever.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/4/2006, 10:10 PM
Chaney's uncle lives next door to me, he says things look as great as the media has been saying for QC.

Joe-John dropping passes... never surprising. Move him somewhere else on the OL KW!!! Good blocker, bad reciever.

Big problem.....He's about 60 pounds underweight

Collier11
4/4/2006, 10:18 PM

Actually youve got that backwards bud, joe jon is a great pass catcher, has had problems with blocking cus he is more of a trent smith type te, thats what bubba played so much last year, he could block better

Egeo
4/4/2006, 11:33 PM
Actually youve got that backwards bud, joe jon is a great pass catcher, has had problems with blocking cus he is more of a trent smith type te, thats what bubba played so much last year, he could block better

qft - joe john's talent was obvious as early as march 2004

GDC
4/6/2006, 10:01 AM
OU practice report
4/6/2006

Catching on: Oklahoma should have one of the most talented groups of wide receivers in the Big 12 heading into next year. One of the youngest, too. Sophomores Malcolm Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias and Manuel Johnson combined to make 62 catches for 931 yards and five touchdowns last year. Sophomores Quentin Chaney and Fred Strong have shown signs of coming on this spring. And redshirt freshman Eric Huggins was rated the No. 8 high school receiver nationally coming out of Conway, S.C.

OU appears stocked with ability, but the trick will be to develop it.

"What we're looking for is what we can count on, not what we hope for," OU wide receivers coach Kevin Sumlin said. "As coaches, that's the biggest thing: 'What can we count on out of you?'

"That's part of the maturity level. Being consistent. Not coming in here today and making one play and screwing up a couple times, but rather giving us something we can count on all the time."

Some spring break: The youngest Sooner at spring practice is Chad Roark, the 17-year-old Ada product who enrolled at OU at the semester to get a jump on the rest of the freshman class. So far, it appears the decision has paid off. With centers Jon Cooper

and J.D. Quinn missing spring practice while recovering from surgery, Roark has started both scrimmages.

"For a high school senior who should probably be on spring break right now, or getting ready for the prom, he's doing a great job," offensive line coach James Patton said. "Chad is a tough guy. He's got a lot of pride. He just needs to grow."

Right now, the 6-2 Roark tips the scales at 290 pounds.

Sign them up: Those interested in autographs before Saturday's Red/White Game should note that there will be a tent set up just north of Owen Field as part of FanFest. Scheduled to sign from 11 a.m.-noon are former Sooners Jimbo Elrod, Tinker Owens, Steve Zabel, Leon Cross and Uwe von Schamann.

Spring practice schedule
Date Time
Thursday 3:30 p.m.
Saturday Red / White Game* 1 p.m.
Monday 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday 3:30 p.m.
* On ESPN cable 25
2006 SCHEDULE
Sept. 2 Alabama-Birmingham
Sept. 9 Washington
Sept. 16 at Oregon
Sept. 23 Middle Tennessee State
Oct. 7 Texas (at Dallas)
Oct. 14 Iowa State
Oct. 21 Colorado
Oct. 28 at Missouri
Nov. 4 at Texas A&M
Nov. 11 Texas Tech
Nov. 18 at Baylor
Nov. 25 at Oklahoma State.

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 01:04 PM
Roark is a work horse. I saw him after last weeks scrimmage and his hands were cut to hell and he was bruised up like a mo-fo. The coaches have said that he's not afraid to go up against anyone and he just gets after it like a crazy man out there. It's good to see these in-state kids that really WANT to play for OU like Chad.