PDA

View Full Version : What happened to run-n-gun basketball?

jkjsooner
4/3/2006, 10:19 PM
Whatever happened to run-n-gun basketball? I'm talking about the go all out, full court press most of the time, scores in excess of 100 type of game.

It doesn't seem like there has been any high profile teams in the last 10 years who played like the old OU, UNLV, Arkansas, and Loyola Marymount teams.

I wonder if playing that style lost it's competitive recruiting advanage. I also wonder if the teams of today are just more used to handling pressure so it's just not as effective.

Did run-n-gun go the way of the wishbone or the run-n-shoot offenses in football?

I always thought that Tubbs led OU's teams of were a little bit suspect when they ran against a well coached team who could force them into a slower half court game (like UNC did in '90). The '88 team was talented enough to win running or

OUstud
4/3/2006, 10:39 PM
I agree, and I wish I was alive during the heyday of the run-n-gun. I've grown up with Calvinball.

NUSooner
4/3/2006, 10:43 PM
The game is rougher now in terms of what isn't called a foul now. Also, the emphasis has gone more to the three pointer, which isn't really part of run-n-gun style of play. I still think it could work, but maybe not when you run into refs who let everything go under the basket, but not in the open court where you'd get called for a touch when you trap.

SoonerDood
4/3/2006, 10:53 PM
why exert yourself for a layup when you can work 1/2 as hard and get an open 3?

GottaHavePride
4/3/2006, 11:39 PM
See? That's the problem with this country. People are just lazy!

;)

Scott D
4/4/2006, 12:03 AM
run-n-gun basketball died from the following causes.

1. Emphasis on defense because it's easier to teach to defend than it is to consistently hit a 12-17 foot jumper.

2. Reason given in #1 leads to having a chance to win a little more meaning a coach is more likely to keep his job by NOT taking chances.

3. NBA having no testicular fortitude in preventing anyone younger than a college junior from being eligible to be drafted.

4. See #3

OUTromBoNado
4/4/2006, 01:03 AM
There's also the fact that big men can run the floor now and shoot the three-ball. Used to be the big guy came lumbering up the court while the point guard was setting up the half-court offensive.

There's just more fast, strong, physical, big (not necessarily 7'0) players now. There are many teams out there that basically start 4 power forwards. The physical style of defense causes the offense to slow down.

And that's not the mention the fact that nobody can shoot the ball anymore. The art of the intermediate jumper is lost. 90% of shots taken are either within 5 feet of the hoop or beyond the three-point line.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/4/2006, 08:33 AM
run-n-gun basketball died from the following causes.

1. Emphasis on defense because it's easier to teach to defend than it is to consistently hit a 12-17 foot jumper.

2. Reason given in #1 leads to having a chance to win a little more meaning a coach is more likely to keep his job by NOT taking chances.

3. NBA having no testicular fortitude in preventing anyone younger than a college junior from being eligible to be drafted.

4. See #3

Especially #1 I think. UCLA made it all the way to NC game and LSU to the Final 4 with teams that couldn't outshoot some high school teams. The game is physical and the key to winning is to take away lay-ups and open three point shots. The best teams still are able to play up tempo but there are as many of more games played in the 60's now than played in the upper 80's or 90's.

Plus scholarship limits have spread talent over more schools now so even some of the top teams can't go 9-10 deep anymore. When Duke has trouble going more than 7 deep, parity is king.

Scott D
4/4/2006, 10:32 AM
Especially #1 I think. UCLA made it all the way to NC game and LSU to the Final 4 with teams that couldn't outshoot some high school teams. The game is physical and the key to winning is to take away lay-ups and open three point shots. The best teams still are able to play up tempo but there are as many of more games played in the 60's now than played in the upper 80's or 90's.

Plus scholarship limits have spread talent over more schools now so even some of the top teams can't go 9-10 deep anymore. When Duke has trouble going more than 7 deep, parity is king.

I don't think the scholarship thing is as bad as you might think. But, if you get say 7 of the top 12 high school players going pro instead of going to college on a yearly basis that's going to water down the game. Then you get to combine that with those same players not getting the kind of reps that they need to get in a college coaching environment.

Now coaches have to worry about that top notch player they recruit to do a Carmelo Anthony 'one and done' kind of deal. Ironically, the early entries are hurting both the college game and the pro game, because none of those kids are 'finishers'. Most of the time Lebron James passes up taking that final shot in a game, whereas a Dwayne Wade has never had any problem being the guy who takes that shot. The difference is that Wade has a few years of college game experience in tight situations.