PDA

View Full Version : Delay is gone...

OklahomaTuba
4/3/2006, 10:12 PM
Very good news imo.

Okla-homey
4/3/2006, 10:14 PM
Very good news imo.

Love the new avi OT. Is that Buckwheat or his little sis Farina?;)

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2006, 10:16 PM
Delay isn't gone.....

just late.

OklahomaTuba
4/3/2006, 10:17 PM
Well, he will be taking his time.

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2006, 10:18 PM
I hear he procrastinates.

SicEmBaylor
4/3/2006, 11:23 PM
THANK GOD!
That's one SOB down about 400 left to go.
(I assume I can find at least 30 or so who are decent enough but that's a liberal number)

SeattleOUstudent
4/3/2006, 11:31 PM
Delay isn't gone.....

just late.

I think Im the only one that got that....but I did chuckle

Ike
4/3/2006, 11:45 PM
THANK GOD!
That's one SOB down about 400 left to go.
(I assume I can find at least 30 or so who are decent enough but that's a liberal number)

I call fuzzy math.

Scott D
4/4/2006, 12:04 AM
thank god, I was tired of that 5 second delay on all of that so called 'live' television programming :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/4/2006, 12:50 AM
I'm quite surprised. just recently, it was announced he had a big lead in his district.

4/4/2006, 12:52 AM
I think Im the only one that got that....but I did chuckleWhy do you think you're the only one that got that joke? This isn't an aggy board, you know.

Vaevictis
4/4/2006, 01:06 AM
I'm quite surprised. just recently, it was announced he had a big lead in his district.

He might just be taking one for the party. He's been an albatross around their necks these past few months, and the whole "culture of corruption" label/thing is hurting the Republicans a bit. Losing Delay can only help on election day '06.

And if you think about it, it's really not that much of a hit. You don't have to be an elected Congressman to be a powerbroker if you already have the people and connections in place like Delay does.

4/4/2006, 01:34 AM
He might just be taking one for the party. He's been an albatross around their necks these past few months, and the whole "culture of corruption" label/thing is hurting the Republicans a bit. Losing Delay can only help on election day '06.

And if you think about it, it's really not that much of a hit. You don't have to be an elected Congressman to be a powerbroker if you already have the people and connections in place like Delay does. I'm just tired of the dims and their media smearing pubs and the pubs not having the ca*ones to take it(although I know I wouldn't want my own self to have to go through anything like the bull**** DeLay has had to deal with). I think you are right, that he got talked into or blackmailed into quitting. But,I honestly think the repubs would look stronger, and FARE BETTER if they didn't always make their people under attack quit their jobs. It's giving the dims what they want.

Okla-homey
4/4/2006, 05:38 AM
But,I honestly think the repubs would look stronger, and FARE BETTER if they didn't always make their people under attack quit their jobs. It's giving the dims what they want.

I hear you, but its the stand-up, grown-up thing to do. That matters to the GOP base. The other side just cites "vast right-wing conspiracy" or throws the race card. IMHO, that's why they aren't in power anymore.

Rogue
4/4/2006, 08:18 AM
In keeping with the theme, it's a day late and a fortune short.

A "stand up guy doesn't go with the "it's legal and if it isn't, I was not involved" weak sauce defense.

Prosecutors charge the transfers were nothing more than a scheme to circumvent a Texas law banning corporate donations to political campaigns. But DeLay's attorneys have insisted the transfers were legal and that, even if they weren't, DeLay was not directly involved in making them

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/04/delay.election/index.html

FaninAma
4/4/2006, 09:47 AM
It's funny how the GOP jettison their problem children but the Democrats circle the wagons and fall on their swords for their corrupt politicians.

The GOP is a party of politicians in the classic sense....everyone looking out for their own self-interest. The Democratic Party, OTOH, reminds me of a cult.

TUSooner
4/4/2006, 11:02 AM
Delay isn't gone.....

just late.
I TRIED to ignore that. Oh, how I really, really tried.

:rolleyes:

:D

TheHumanAlphabet
4/4/2006, 11:20 AM
I'm glad. I would not have voted for him. Nor would I have voted for the dim running...I hope his strategery works in keeping the seat with the repubs...

4/4/2006, 12:07 PM
I'm glad. I would not have voted for him. Nor would I have voted for the dim running...I hope his strategery works in keeping the seat with the repubs...If I was in his district, I would have voted for him. It's pathetic that such a *rick as Ronnie Earl can so brazenly destroy someone by just charging them with something. I think the Republicans are fools here. They are just trying to silence the dims and their media, and SHOULD KNOW THAT SACRIFICING THE TARGET WON'T WORK. It never has before. In fact, this will embolden the dims. They will have a big victory party, and move on to destroy their next political target.

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 12:15 PM
It's pathetic that such a *rick as Ronnie Earl can so brazenly destroy someone by just charging them with something.

Yeah, and Marion Barry was just an innocent victim of The Man.

4/4/2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, and Marion Barry was just an innocent victim of The Man.I hope your joke is just that, and that you aren't seriously comparing the two.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2006, 12:25 PM
As conservatives we need to be able to be objective enough to realize that there are corrupt bastars on both sides of the aisle and having that litlte (R) next to your name doesn't make you a saint.

DeLay is a personal bastard; he is corrupt; he is also not all that great a conservative.

As majority leader he shares a lot of the blame for the outrageous growth of government during the Bush Administration. The way in which he strong armed and manipulated principled conservatives in the House to support the medicare drug entitlement program is just disgusting and unbecoming of a member of the House especially majority leader. He threatened their NRCC money, he threatened their committee assignments, and he even threatened to find primary opponets to run against them if they didn't support expanding the Federal government.

Thank God he's gone.

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 12:25 PM
I hope your joke is just that, and that you aren't seriously comparing the two.

Yes, that was a joke, but there is no doubt in mind that Delay is dirty, dirty, dirty.

Okla-homey
4/4/2006, 12:27 PM
If I was in his district, I would have voted for him. It's pathetic that such a *rick as Ronnie Earl can so brazenly destroy someone by just charging them with something. I think the Republicans are fools here. They are just trying to silence the dims and their media, and SHOULD KNOW THAT SACRIFICING THE TARGET WON'T WORK. It never has before. In fact, this will embolden the dims. They will have a big victory party, and move on to destroy their next political target.

The TX dems hate that guy with the white hot hate of a thousand suns because he engineered the re-districting (aka: gerrymandering...you say potato, I say potatoe) down there. Anyhoo, you struck a chord in me as well when you cited his opponent's "just charging him with something."

Unfortunately we live in a world now where the seriousness of the charge makes the weight of the evidence irrelevant...at least where public figures are concerned. Kinda explains why lots of good people refuse to enter politics these days.

4/4/2006, 12:58 PM
As conservatives we need to be able to be objective enough to realize that there are corrupt bastars on both sides of the aisle and having that litlte (R) next to your name doesn't make you a saint.

DeLay is a personal bastard; he is corrupt; he is also not all that great a conservative.

As majority leader he shares a lot of the blame for the outrageous growth of government during the Bush Administration. The way in which he strong armed and manipulated principled conservatives in the House to support the medicare drug entitlement program is just disgusting and unbecoming of a member of the House especially majority leader. He threatened their NRCC money, he threatened their committee assignments, and he even threatened to find primary opponets to run against them if they didn't support expanding the Federal government.

Thank God he's gone.As with the POTUS, I don't agree with everything DeLay has done. However, he has been an extremely effective majority leader. he pulls power plays, and that gets him hated by the dims. So what. Just a taste of their own medicine. It's why they hated him so much. His attributes far exceed the negs, imo. I certainly don't agree that he "is a personal bastard or corrupt". We will see how the Ronnie Earl charges play out. If DeLay is convicted, I will be surprised, and would apologize for defending him.
Right now, I think it's a loss to the country, and a mistake on the part of the Republicans.

TheHumanAlphabet
If I was in his district, I would have voted for him. It's pathetic that such a *rick as Ronnie Earl can so brazenly destroy someone by just charging them with something. I think the Republicans are fools here. They are just trying to silence the dims and their media, and SHOULD KNOW THAT SACRIFICING THE TARGET WON'T WORK. It never has before. In fact, this will embolden the dims. They will have a big victory party, and move on to destroy their next political target.

Delay's problems go beyond Austin politics for me. I have never really liked him as he just seemed way to imperial for me. He was a strong advocate for the district, but I got tired of the holding my nose for the vote. A couple of good people were in the primary running against him. I voted for one of those, hope they choose to look into this race now...

Herr Scholz
The TX dems hate that guy with the white hot hate of a thousand suns because he engineered the re-districting (aka: gerrymandering...you say potato, I say potatoe) down there.
And he broke election laws by using corporate money for campaigns in order to do so.

Broke election laws-gave dirty money to Republicans running for the Texas House, Texas House gets a majority, Redraw US Congressional districts in Texas, US House gets a Republican majority. Ronnie Earl should be prosecuting this guy.

4/4/2006, 01:40 PM
And he broke election laws by using corporate money for campaigns in order to do so.

Broke election laws-gave dirty money to Republicans running for the Texas House, Texas House gets a majority, Redraw US Congressional districts in Texas, US House gets a Republican majority. Ronnie Earl should be prosecuting this guy.Your lawyer hero Earl got his prize. Who's next, dim?

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 01:44 PM
Your lawyer hero Earl got his prize. Who's next, dim?

So, Delay was found innocent?

4/4/2006, 01:49 PM
So, Delay was found innocent?You are convinced of his guilt, so why even wait for the legal proceedings to conclude?:P

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 01:58 PM
You are convinced of his guilt, so why even wait for the legal proceedings to conclude?:P

Delay can huff and puff about being railroaded out of office, but if he really thought he was going to be vindicated in court don't you think he would have hung on? He won his primary handily, after all. Wouldn't the pubz love to wave a not guilty verdict in the libz' faces on this? He knows he's guilty, and the pubz know he's guilty.

soonerscuba
4/4/2006, 02:05 PM
I for one, will be amazed if the Republicans can find a bigger dickface to put into office, so good riddance.

Vaevictis
4/4/2006, 02:46 PM
A savvy political party *should* drop-kick their people when they let themselves get caught in positions like these. For a person in a position of power, the mere appearance of impropriety can present major problems.

The Republican party (Dems too) as currently constituted lives and dies by their get-out-the-vote effort, of which a major part is what is called the "moral majority." You don't energize the "moral majority" with leadership that appears corrupt; you just won't get "values" voters to the polls if they don't feel you're on the right side of their values.

With Bush's polling (to whom the fate of the party is currently tied) at all time lows, and the Dem base energized by their absolute hatred of Bush and his crew, the Republican party just can't afford the appearance of impropriety being a drag on their own get out the vote effort.

Delay's resignation may not be enough, but it was a necessary step in the right direction.

(And as I said, it doesn't actually prevent Delay from performing the same behind-the-scenes role he's always played. You don't have to be a Congressman to be a powerbroker in DC.)

Herr Scholz
4/4/2006, 02:57 PM
Your lawyer hero Earl got his prize. Who's next, dim?
Should be Karl Rove for the Valerie Plame incident.

How can you sit there with a straight face and act like Delay isn't guilty? The corporate check went through his fundraising organization to the Republican national committee to Texas Republicans. Whether Earl could prove that Delay had knowledge of this in court is a separate matter. If you think he didn't know about it, you're just being overly partisan.

slickdawg
4/4/2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, and Marion Barry was just an innocent victim of The Man.

Damn straight!

FaninAma
4/4/2006, 03:07 PM
I for one, will be amazed if the Republicans can find a bigger dickface to put into office, so good riddance.

Yeah, they'd have to recruit a Democrat to switch parties to do that.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/4/2006, 03:12 PM
Should be Karl Rove for the Valerie Plame incident.

Why, common knowledge in the D.C. circuit was she was a spy and also been pulled from the field. No harm-no foul...Worst have been done to CIA people with no consequences...

How 'bout that ole dim operative in FL, just happen to be driving around and recording people's cell phones and got a tape of Gingrich....right....He wasn't prosecuted for wiretapping, but seems the Washington congressman isn't out of the woods...Hard to believe that!

4/4/2006, 03:27 PM
Why is this board graced with dims WHO ARE ALSO WHORNS? Herr, I ALMOST feel sorry for you.

4/4/2006, 03:29 PM
I for one, will be amazed if the Republicans can find a bigger dickface to put into office, so good riddance.So what's this? you're hoping for success for the Repubs? Go figure.:)

soonerscuba
4/4/2006, 04:41 PM
So what's this? you're hoping for success for the Repubs? Go figure.:)

America won today with DeLay's fall. Hell, it's Houston, of course a Republican is going to win. I don't hate Republicans, I hate dickfaces.

Politically, it was the wisest possible move, he is right, that election would have been a national election based on his character while he is under indictment. I wouldn't be shocked if the RNC told him they were going to endorse someone else.

4/4/2006, 04:51 PM
Sadly, if you read through his laundry list of "legal" spending, you realize just how much lobbyist, campaign contributors and federal allowances these guys blow on luxury vacations, golf outings, fundraisers, etc... on a weekly basis.

And that is just their "legal" stuff.

No wonder so many want to be in office for such an ordinary salary.

mdklatt
4/4/2006, 04:55 PM
Sadly, if you read through his laundry list of "legal" spending, you realize just how much lobbyist, contributors and federal allowance these guys blow on luxury vacations, golf outings, fundraisers, etc... on a weekly basis.

It's enough to make a Nigerian soccer referee blush.

Hamhock
4/4/2006, 04:59 PM
Hell, it's Houston, of course a Republican is going to win. .

I wish you would tell that to Sheila "we walked on mars" jackson lee.

Vaevictis
4/4/2006, 05:00 PM
My favorite is how frequently DC politicians (on both sides of the aisle) somehow manage to find real estate that is:
1. Sold to them for $200k-$300k less than the previous owners paid for it... in the last year.
2. ... and subsequently appraised at $200k-$300k more than they paid for it.