PDA

View Full Version : Good Music Store in Tulsa?

NormanPride
4/3/2006, 05:54 PM
Particularly one with a good shop. I'm planning on getting the 'ol trumpet refurbished in time for a little gig at a church. Any suggestions as to who will do the best job/screw up the least?

GottaHavePride
4/3/2006, 06:10 PM
No clue. All the guys I know ship their trumpets out for valve alignments. And they tend not to need any other work on their trumpets. I'll either take my trombone to Bruce Kitzel (with apologies to BobbyTrain and apusooner) in Norman if I need a quick fix or ship it to either Nebraska or Atlanta for slide tune-ups.

NormanPride
4/3/2006, 06:14 PM
No clue. All the guys I know ship their trumpets out for valve alignments. And they tend not to need any other work on their trumpets. I'll either take my trombone to Bruce Kitzel (with apologies to BobbyTrain and apusooner) in Norman if I need a quick fix or ship it to either Nebraska or Atlanta for slide tune-ups.

Yeah, well... this was my marching (read: only) horn, so it's a bit... worn. Yeah. Let's go with "worn". Because "Moon-like" is just a bit too harsh.

I really just want it cleaned up and re-oiled. Dents build character. :D

mdklatt
4/3/2006, 06:15 PM
I'm planning on getting the 'ol trumpet refurbished

:eek:

for a little gig at a church

:eek: :eek:

handcrafted
4/3/2006, 06:16 PM
Is Saied's (sp) still there? It's on the south side, either Yale or Sheridan I think.

PrideTrombone
4/3/2006, 06:16 PM
Saied's on Yale south of 31st, I believe. Probably your best bet.

mdklatt
4/3/2006, 06:18 PM
YeahI really just want it cleaned up and re-oiled.

Don't forget the slide grease. :texan:

NormanPride
4/3/2006, 06:18 PM
Much thanks!

GottaHavePride
4/3/2006, 06:19 PM
If you just want it cleaned and re-oiled, can't you do it yourself? A bathtub and a pipe snake (pause for chuckling...) will do it. Scrub it out once with a mild detergent, then once with regular white vinegar. Pull the valves out and give them the same vinegar treatment (the vinegar will take off any built-up organic (read: old oil and/or food gunk) material. Then re-oil. Should work great.

handcrafted
4/3/2006, 06:23 PM
Much thanks!

Also: http://www.saiedmusic.com/

OUTromBoNado
4/4/2006, 02:17 AM
There used to be an old guy that worked at The Music Store that died a back in the '90s. That guy was the best repairman that's ever touched either of my trombones.

pb4ou
4/4/2006, 02:47 AM
I just love the sound of a trumpet. Especially in Jazz.

apusooner
4/4/2006, 03:47 AM
how about advice from a trumpet player? take your valves out and put them in laquer thinner for a couple of minutes. get some CLR and dilute it 1:20 with water. That's one part CLR for 20 parts water in case you were confused. you never know. it's really potent stuff. before all of this you should snake it out with some mild dish soap, then do the above. try not to stick anything that will scratch inside the valve casings, or it will need to go to the shop. it works, and saves some money. when you get time, you should take it into the shop and have them put it in the acid vat, if they don't have one, they don't know what they are doing. your welcome:)

apusooner
4/4/2006, 03:48 AM
I just love the sound of a trumpet. Especially in Jazz.

you should check out wayne bergeron

yermom
4/4/2006, 07:27 AM
Is Saied's (sp) still there? It's on the south side, either Yale or Sheridan I think.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f2/180px-Lost-sayid.jpg

:confused:

it's across the street from Egg Roll Express just South of the BA on Yale

mmm... Egg Roll Express...

GDC
4/4/2006, 07:45 AM
Starship Records and Tapes

yermom
4/4/2006, 08:25 AM
Starship Records and Tapes

yeah that was my first thought when i saw the title

i don't even know where they moved to, i loved that place

handcrafted
4/4/2006, 09:58 AM
Heh. I musta lived at Starship in H.S. Half my vinyl collection is from there. Back then I spent a ton of money on obscure European imports of bands nobody's ever heard of. Yeah, I like to be different. :D

yermom
4/4/2006, 10:05 AM
i wasn't ever into buying vinyl, but their imports and stuff were cool to look at

they had about any CD you ever heard of there though, i never went there looking for something they didn't have. prices weren't bad either

handcrafted
4/4/2006, 10:17 AM
i wasn't ever into buying vinyl, but their imports and stuff were cool to look at

they had about any CD you ever heard of there though, i never went there looking for something they didn't have. prices weren't bad either

Heh. Not "into buying vinyl" huh?

Dude, I was in H.S. before they had CDs. I had to buy vinyl. I remember seeing one of the first commercial CD players in 1984 at the Gramophone in Tulsa. It was made by Yamaha and it cost $5000. At the time only Jazz and Classical music was being released on CD, with a few exceptions. The guy demoed the CD player for us with "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen.

GDC
4/4/2006, 10:22 AM
Heh. Not "into buying vinyl" huh?

Dude, I was in H.S. before they had CDs. I had to buy vinyl. I remember seeing one of the first commercial CD players in 1984 at the Gramophone in Tulsa. It was made by Yamaha and it cost $5000. At the time only Jazz and Classical music was being released on CD, with a few exceptions. The guy demoed the CD player for us with "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen.

I go back all the way to 8-tracks.:(

handcrafted
4/4/2006, 10:23 AM

I had an 8-track player on the stereo in my room, and one in my car.

I had about 20 tapes, too. First copy of Moving Pictures that I bought was on 8-track.

GDC
4/4/2006, 10:27 AM
I had an 8-track player on the stereo in my room, and one in my car.

I had about 20 tapes, too. First copy of Moving Pictures that I bought was on 8-track.

My first Moving Pictures was vinyl, and I still have it. I was going through some stuff when moving the other day and found a Bachman-Turner Overdrive 8-track, that made me feel really old.

IB4OU2
4/4/2006, 11:33 AM

I go back all the way to 45 rpm records. :(

yermom
4/4/2006, 11:38 AM
they were still around when i was a kid

my dad had that weirdo Yes album that was shaped like an oval

TheBobbyTrain
4/4/2006, 01:10 PM
GHP - you're dead to me.