PDA

View Full Version : Better TB duo in the country?

Blitzkrieg
4/2/2006, 06:53 PM
I'm not saying they are, but who's better than Patrick and AD?

Granted, our FB is a ? for the first time in 3 years, but big plays are more likely out of the one back set IMO because the field is that much more spread.

It might get interesting.

Big Red Ron
4/2/2006, 07:00 PM
Man you're really out on a limb here. ;)

Who's your pick for the BCS game? USC and Notre Dame? :D

Octavian
4/2/2006, 07:05 PM
Texas vs. tOSU will be hyped as one of the biggest non-conference games of early September

OUstud
4/2/2006, 08:00 PM
tOSU will tkick the tcrap out of Saxet.

sooner13f
4/2/2006, 08:58 PM
tOSU will tkick the tcrap out of Saxet.
That may be but with Oklahoma's pre season ranking we may very well need Texas to win that game, but since I hate them so much I really hope they get the crap kicked out of them.

NickZeppelin
4/2/2006, 09:35 PM
I don't know if there's a better tailback then Adrian Peterson but Allen Patrick is a bit hyped. He ran for 136 yards last year.

To give you an idea, Texas has 3 backs returning that ran for atleast 400 yards, 4 if Ramonce Taylor is able to return. Oklahoma State has 2 running backs returning that both ran for atleast 200 yards, Texas A&M has 3 returning rushers that all have atleast 200 yards, Colorado has 2 backs returning that had atleast 200 yards. I can go through the entire conference with backfields with better stats then AP had INCLUDING OUR OWN.

Patrick was behind Jacob Gutierrez and Rhett Bomar last year in rushing on his own team. I'm not saying Patrick is a bad back or anything but he still has a lot more to prove.

Jello Biafra
4/2/2006, 09:38 PM
I can go through the entire conference with backfields with better stats then AP had INCLUDING OUR OWN.

Please do. we're dying to hear what you have to say :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
4/2/2006, 09:41 PM
Nick..........I think the excitement over Patrick has more to do with the flash of talent he's shown, not his total yardage.

Just to give YOU an idea.

BASSooner
4/2/2006, 09:49 PM
I wish the administrator banned you for another week Nick...

Octavian
4/2/2006, 10:08 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3290/debbiedowner1bc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bigdsooner
4/2/2006, 10:16 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3290/debbiedowner1bc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D

SelmaBamaFan
4/2/2006, 10:25 PM
Bama should have a decent backfield overall next year. Our TB isnt as talented as AD, but we will have one of the best FB's in the nation next year. I dont know much about this Patrick guy, what number did he wear last year? I'm sure I saw him in some games, because I watched as much OU football as I could last year.

shavedmarmoset
4/2/2006, 10:27 PM
I don't know if there's a better tailback then Adrian Peterson but Allen Patrick is a bit hyped. He ran for 136 yards last year.

Did you watch the games last year? Patrick showed flashes of brilliance and it seems with spring practice, he has really stepped it up. Sure production matters, but he was behind the best RB in the country last year.

oumartin
4/2/2006, 10:28 PM
Nick is just a turd that hasn't been flushed yet.. and a stinky one at that...

shavedmarmoset
4/2/2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, sorry I was unaware.

sanantoniosooner
4/2/2006, 10:31 PM
Nick is just a turd that hasn't been flushed yet.. and a stinky one at that...
WE GOT A FLOATER!!!!!!!!

okienole3
4/2/2006, 10:32 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Nick here. :( To say that Patrick and Peterson are the best TB combo in the country is a bit of a stretch.

oumartin
4/2/2006, 10:33 PM
yes, but unlike nick you dont' sound like a total sheep humper or whorn fan.

sanantoniosooner
4/2/2006, 10:34 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Nick here. :( To say that Patrick and Peterson are the best TB combo in the country is a bit of a stretch.
That's wasn't the point of Nick's post.

His post was that Patrick was overhyped based on the number of yards he had last year.

SelmaBamaFan
4/2/2006, 10:36 PM
WHAT NUMBER WAS PATRICK FOR CHRIST SAKES!

heh :D

okienole3
4/2/2006, 10:41 PM
That's wasn't the point of Nick's post.

His post was that Patrick was overhyped based on the number of yards he had last year.

I think that was the main jist of Nick's post. He just feels the need to throw in statistical "evidence" when none is needed. AD is the best in the country, so having the best combo might not be too much of a stretch.

oumartin
4/2/2006, 10:41 PM
I think nick went to get breast fed and go night night..

SelmaBamaFan
4/2/2006, 10:45 PM
wtf is wrong with getting breast fed?

oumartin
4/2/2006, 10:47 PM
dent say there is anything wrong with it. but from his mom?

NickZeppelin
4/2/2006, 11:00 PM
Could Patrick be a star this year? Maybe but what he's done on the field doesn't warrent anyone calling our team the best TB duo in the country. Or even close. There is no better running back returning that gives you more then AD does. But there's probably a lot of backs that are as good or better then Patrick.

okienole3
4/2/2006, 11:06 PM
Could Patrick be a star this year? Maybe but what he's done on the field doesn't warrent anyone calling our team the best TB duo in the country. Or even close. There is no better running back returning that gives you more then AD does. But there's probably a lot of backs that are as good or better then Patrick.

Maybe he could be a star if AD weren't in front of him. Who knows? The question is, is AD so much better than everyone elses top guy that it doesn' matter who the number 2 guy is?

CatfishSooner
4/2/2006, 11:20 PM
Wasn't Patrick # 23? I'm not sure.....

I think Nick could be our back up and we would still have the best TB duo in the country based on AD...

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 06:50 AM
Wasn't Patrick # 23? I'm not sure.....

Yes. He wore 23 last season and in spring practice this season.

And Nick is, once again, going overboard to prove a point. We don't have the best backfield in the nation going into this season. We DO have the most talented RB in the country in our backfield. If one of the FBs steps up, we may have one of the best backfields in the country, because we have two TBs behind AD that have proven they are capable. Replacing JD will be tough, though.

SkipTracer
4/3/2006, 06:53 AM
You people should run these questions by Nick before you ask them. That way no one will look stupid. :D

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5381/texassignzepp26jm.jpg

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 07:03 AM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3290/debbiedowner1bc.jpg (http://http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3290/debbiedowner1bc.jpg)

[Nick Voice/Debbie Downer]Even if we do have AD, he'll probably get hurt before the season even starts.[/Nick Voice]

Wah-Wah

:D

TexasLidig8r
4/3/2006, 08:48 AM
Jamal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young.

Peterson is obviously a special talent, and if he stays healthy, your back up won't see much action.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 08:55 AM
Jamal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young.

That's a TRIO, lid. We're talking duo, here. ;)

Besides, Taylor is questionable whether he'll be back. Is that what you meant? Charles and Young? Is that the DUO?

I agree minus AD. With AD it's not even close and you know it.

TexasLidig8r
4/3/2006, 08:59 AM
Besides, Taylor is questionable whether he'll be back. Is that what you meant? Charles and Young? Is that the DUO?

I agree minus AD. With AD it's not even close and you know it.

Taylor is eligible right now. Was held out of spring practice to make sure he stays eligible. With summer school as well, it's not expected to be a problem.

Again, with Peterson, your back up won't see much work at all unless Peterson gets hurt again.

The huge question mark for you guys is the offensive line. Lack of depth and questions about quality will plague you in your first few games.

If your offensive line jells and Peterson stays healthy, Stoops will only need Bomar to not lose games for you.

BarryBnds
4/3/2006, 09:05 AM
That may be but with Oklahoma's pre season ranking we may very well need Texas to win that game, but since I hate them so much I really hope they get the crap kicked out of them.

Do you really want Texas to come into the game with the confidence of winning a "Big" game like that?

The VIIIth
4/3/2006, 09:14 AM
WE GOT A FLOATER!!!!!!!!
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0726/photo/pool.jpg

caphorns
4/3/2006, 09:36 AM
Taylor is elibobble right now. Was held out of spring practice to make sure he stays elibobble.

Fixed. You may have missed this lesson.

soonerinabilene
4/3/2006, 12:45 PM
considering patrick was a db at the start of the year, i think he did a darn-tootin good job.

BASSooner
4/3/2006, 03:42 PM
AD and AP is a better duo than jammal charles and selvin young. selvin is better than jammal but in my opinion(without being biased. I compared these 2 on television) Patrick is SLIGHTY better than selvin young.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/3/2006, 04:33 PM

The few times that I saw Patrick in, he looked great. He may be a gamer. With his perfomance in the Holiday Bowl, I'd say he looked extremely talented. With as few touches as he has had, he has made the most of them. I'd love to see what his YPC is.

What makes you think he isn't all that? I haven't seen a mediocre performance from him.

shavedmarmoset
4/3/2006, 04:35 PM
Didn't AP average around 5.4 last year? Anybody know?

MikeInNorman
4/3/2006, 04:37 PM
Why is having the best "duo" important?

That sounds so.....Aggy.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/3/2006, 04:45 PM
Why is having the best "duo" important?

That sounds so.....Aggy.

Hey, man. It's the off season. We're grabbing at straws here. Most people have migrated to SO or have even started working!

Octavian
4/3/2006, 05:15 PM
...or have even started working!

shudder.

kernalsanders
4/3/2006, 05:55 PM
Didn't AP average around 5.4 last year? Anybody know?
Yes it was. In 2004 i believe it was 5.7

NickZeppelin
4/3/2006, 06:01 PM
AP didn't play at OU in 2004. AP had 25 carries for 136 yards last year. 25 carries isn't enough to say he's gonna be a star or even a good tailback.

kernalsanders
4/3/2006, 06:33 PM
Woops, yeah those stats were for Adrian Peterson. Got the whole AD AP thing mixed up

tennsooner
4/3/2006, 06:57 PM
I'd love to watch Nick,Vinnie and a rock battle it out on a wonderlic and after Nick got disqualified , that my friends would be a duo.:D :D :D

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2006, 07:03 PM
It's a shame deranged people get protection under ADA or Nick would get banned.

sooneron
4/3/2006, 07:30 PM
I don't know who has the best DUO. I think to say duo, you are stating that both tbs are outstanding. I'll wait until Patrick gets some more carries to consider that distinction. We have the best RB in college football. Let it stand at that.

Gawd, I hate siding with you know.

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2006, 07:43 PM
Well.....I don't have to agree with the duo part to point out the faulty logic for Nick NOT agreeing with it.

soonerhubs
4/3/2006, 07:53 PM
Nick. You are to become Geisha!

KC//CRIMSON
4/3/2006, 07:56 PM
Nick. You are to become Geisha!

:D best one i've heard today.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/4/2006, 08:41 AM
AP didn't play at OU in 2004. AP had 25 carries for 136 yards last year. 25 carries isn't enough to say he's gonna be a star or even a good tailback.

Well, then 25 carries isn't enough to say to the contrary either. He looked pretty damned good on those plays though.

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2006, 08:47 AM
2477 posts is enough to say if Nick is going to be a star or not.

Coloradosker
4/4/2006, 08:50 AM

Granted, our FB is a ? for the first time in 3 years, but big plays are more likely out of the one back set IMO because the field is that much more spread.

It might get interesting.
Word is Florida's backs might give you a run for your money.:D

sooneriniowa
4/4/2006, 09:01 AM
I would have to say that YES we will have THE BEST DUO in the Nation. (As long as AP does his job of standing on the sideline and cheering for AD)

Jason White's Third Knee
4/4/2006, 09:17 AM
I would have to say that YES we will have THE BEST DUO in the Nation. (As long as AP does his job of standing on the sideline and cheering for AD)

You may have something there. Are we gonna run any 2 back sets? I haven't seen any of that in a long time.

But for arguements sake, we've got a ****load of nice backs now with AD, Patrick, Madu, Murray, and MexiQ(dinged up). None of them suck (although Nick might wax to the contrary). That's some depth and I might be missing someone.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/4/2006, 09:21 AM
Word is Florida's backs might give you a run for your money.:D

Right now the word is Thunderbird. Let's see what they do this year. I am not ready to hand the NC over to Urban and his hype machine just yet.

OUmillenium
4/4/2006, 10:06 AM

Awesome!

:mack: Where's Vinny?!?!?!?!

soonerfan247
4/4/2006, 02:25 PM
I am new to this board so hello to all the Sooner fans here.

Nickzepp, if you did not see the enormous potential and athletic ability of AP then you are truly delusional or you do not watch the games. AP carried the ball all of 25 times and scored 2 great TD's and made some other long runs to avg 5.5 yards per carry.

He did this while starting the year as a DB and did not get to touch the ball until a few games in the season. Tell me who out there has a better RB combo than OU?

I am sure you can name every school that has better LB's DS's and every other position for that matter can't you?

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2006, 02:27 PM
Anybody that kicks Nick in the groin with their first post gets positive spek from me, troll or not.

NickZeppelin
4/4/2006, 03:02 PM
I am new to this board so hello to all the Sooner fans here.

Nickzepp, if you did not see the enormous potential and athletic ability of AP then you are truly delusional or you do not watch the games. AP carried the ball all of 25 times and scored 2 great TD's and made some other long runs to avg 5.5 yards per carry.

He did this while starting the year as a DB and did not get to touch the ball until a few games in the season. Tell me who out there has a better RB combo than OU?

I am sure you can name every school that has better LB's DS's and every other position for that matter can't you?

He had only 25 carries though. That's like saying Birdine was great having only 1 start going into last year. It's stupid to compare someone with 25 carries and say they have a better duo then anyone in the country. If AP proves himself this year then you could say that but he's proven nothing so far.

Do we have the best tailback in the country? No doubt about that.

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2006, 03:05 PM
He had only 25 carries though. That's like saying Birdine was great having only 1 start going into last year. It's stupid to compare someone with 25 carries and say they have a better duo then anyone in the country. If AP proves himself this year then you could say that but he's proven nothing so far.

Do we have the best tailback in the country? No doubt about that.
Nick.

why don't you read the original post.

It didn't say we DID have. It asked WHO has a better duo.

soonerfan247
4/4/2006, 03:44 PM
just from the few posts I have read, Nick tries to find anything negative to say about the Sooners! Are you a closet OsU fan or what?

If you have THE best RB in the nation then you could put any other back on the team and have the best dou in the country.

Zepp, you also said in another thread that Stoops did not do a good job last year cause we should have lost 9 games but Sampson is a the best coach OU can every hope to get because he consistantly wins 20+games a year. Well, with your thinking he sucks too because he should have lost about 10 games last year with all those one point wins.

stoopified
4/4/2006, 04:47 PM
Poor Nick.

sooneron
4/4/2006, 05:26 PM
He had only 25 carries though. That's like saying Birdine was great having only 1 start going into last year.
Oh God, here we go again. That comparison is one of the stupidest I have ever seen you do on here.

And THAT'S saying a LOT.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 12:21 AM
He had only 25 carries though.

We've been through this. Look at it QUALITATIVELY, not QUANTITATIVELY. What did AP do with those 25 carries? Last year he was new to the position, having started at FS in JUCO. How much better might he be with a Spring and Summer under his belt? Or are you going to use that old tired argument that he may not improve in the offseason? The bottom line is we have THE BEST RB in the country on the 1 rung of the depth chart. We have TWO very competent backups on the 2nd and 3rd rungs of the DC. We have THREE highly touted and well accomplished RBs coming in this fall. It may be fairly presumptive on my part, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that out of the FIVE behind Peterson, at least ONE of them will be good enough to allow us to have the best DUO in the country.

RumbleBritches
4/5/2006, 12:35 AM
Tulsa's RB's are a little underrated IMO...Tarrion Adams, Brandon Diles, and now Courtney Tennial. Not even close to what OU/Tx has, but still pretty good for a program their size. Solid, not great....I think they'll raise some eyebrows though.

NickZeppelin
4/5/2006, 12:45 AM
Could AP be this great RB? Maybe. We'll see, but I think all of you saying we already have the best duo in the country with AD and AP are jumping the gun.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 12:46 AM
So where's your vote, Nick? WHO has a better RB duo?

NickZeppelin
4/5/2006, 12:52 AM
Arkansas, Georgia, and Texas off the top of my head. I'm sure there's plenty more around the country.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 12:57 AM
So which of your favorites are you going with? Do you like Ar-Kansas, UGA, or saxet? Or maybe you like one of the plenty more around the country? Which includes who? And 'off the top of your head', who are the RBs and what did they average in yards/carry? Just curious. Wouldn't want that big brain to go to waste.

soonerhubs
4/5/2006, 01:24 AM
Clemson, Weber State, and Texas Western off the top of my head. I'm sure there's plenty more around the country.
:eek: The nerve!!!

TexasLidig8r
4/5/2006, 09:54 AM
We've been through this. Look at it QUALITATIVELY, not QUANTITATIVELY. What did AP do with those 25 carries? Last year he was new to the position, having started at FS in JUCO. How much better might he be with a Spring and Summer under his belt? Or are you going to use that old tired argument that he may not improve in the offseason? The bottom line is we have THE BEST RB in the country on the 1 rung of the depth chart. We have TWO very competent backups on the 2nd and 3rd rungs of the DC. We have THREE highly touted and well accomplished RBs coming in this fall. It may be fairly presumptive on my part, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that out of the FIVE behind Peterson, at least ONE of them will be good enough to allow us to have the best DUO in the country.

Leaving the discussion regarding the number one running back aside (conceding that there really is no intelligent debate on that issue).. the other backs you have may have potential.. but...

Potential simply means you "ain't done it yet."

Now.. at the end of the year, that may very well change. At the start of the year though, based on past performance, OU's stable of backs, or duo of your choice, is not on a par with Texas' backs, Charles and Taylor [and Young].

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 10:03 AM
Leaving the discussion regarding the number one running back aside (conceding that there really is no intelligent debate on that issue).. the other backs you have may have potential.. but...

Potential simply means you "ain't done it yet."

Now.. at the end of the year, that may very well change. At the start of the year though, based on past performance, OU's stable of backs, or duo of your choice, is not on a par with Texas' backs, Charles and Taylor [and Young].

None of UTs backs would have any playing time at OU, either. You guys don't have a number one back to equal AD, so you'll continue the three back rotation, and all of your guys will look better than our backups. I'll give you that.

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 10:11 AM
UT has a better stable of backs. OU has the best RB.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 10:14 AM
UT has a better stable of backs.

More proven, maybe, but how can you know they're better if our backs haven't gotten all the PT that your three-deep have?

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 10:22 AM
More proven, maybe, but how can you know they're better if our backs haven't gotten all the PT that your three-deep have?
Maybe more proven? Ramonce Taylor, Jamaal Charles, Selvin Young, Henry Melton and Chris Ogbonnaya all have championship experience.

Not trying to argue here. I agree that AD is the best RB in the country and has a good shot at the Heisman if your OL play solidifies, but UT has more depth in quality RBs right now. To say that none of our guys would get PT at OU is also ridiculous.

sOOnerz311
4/5/2006, 10:50 AM
AD, AP, Gute > taylor, charles, young

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 11:00 AM
AD, AP, Gute > taylor, charles, young
Disagree strongly there.

Half a Hundred
4/5/2006, 11:35 AM
The moral of this thread:

Nick is a moron, and October 7th can't get here fast enough.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 12:02 PM
Or maybe it's just the gist of every other thread we have:

Hook 'em TUCK FEXASHook 'em

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 12:09 PM
PREACH ON BROTHER!!!

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 12:17 PM
Disagree strongly there.

Hmmmmm......Gute, who resemsbles greatly another OU RB that torched your asses a few years ago, isn't better than any of those three, huh? Interesting.

Now, I'm not saying that Gute is as good as Q, but he is the same kind of shifty, small back as Q. Does he have the potential....most definetly. Will he get the opportunity.....not so much running behind AD.

Maybe you guys are just still seeing flashbacks of all of his TD runs in that ONE game....

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 12:22 PM
To say that none of our guys would get PT at OU is also ridiculous.

O.K. - Taylor would probably be our third or fourth WR so he would see a little time on the field when Kelly/Iglesias/Johnson/Huggins needed a break. Chaarles would relieve AD after he got through with one of his regualr 20-30 yard runs, but still be dreamin' of being half as good as AD. Young or Melton would probably get to be the fullback for AD and that other Ooobbayanga or whatever would be waitin' witht the rest of 'em...

:texan: Hook 'em :mack: :texan: Hook 'em :mack: :texan: Hook 'em :mack:

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 12:32 PM
Gute, who resemsbles greatly another OU RB...
No where in Quentin's league. Gute is also not better than Charles, Taylor or Young. No way.

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 12:36 PM
Taylor...Charles...
Guess you forgot the 116 yards Charles put on OU's D last October. You might also have forgotten Taylor streaking around the corner for a 30-yard TD vs. SC in the national title game.