PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Long and San Diego State

emoinwinter
4/2/2006, 05:55 PM
How will Chuck Long and San Diego State do this year? :-)

Thu 08/31/06 UTEP San Diego, Calif.
Sat 09/16/06 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis.
Sat 09/23/06 Utah* San Diego, Calif.
Sat 09/30/06 at San Jose State San Jose, Calif.
Sat 10/07/06 BYU* Provo, Utah
Sat 10/21/06 Air Force* San Diego, Calif.
Sat 10/28/06 Cal Poly San Diego, Calif.
Sat 11/04/06 Wyoming* Laramie, Wyo.
Sat 11/11/06 UNLV* San Diego, Calif.
Sat 11/18/06 TCU* Fort Worth, Tex.
Sat 11/25/06 New Mexico* Albuquerque, NM
Sat 12/02/06 Colorado State* San Diego, Calif.

Big Red Ron
4/2/2006, 06:00 PM
1-11

or

2-9

maybe

3-8

emoinwinter
4/2/2006, 06:07 PM
They finished 5-7 last year, but, of course, it seems like they have a tough schedule this season.

Big Red Ron
4/2/2006, 06:31 PM
I bet they're only favored in three games...looks tough, 'cept these games...

MikeInNorman
4/2/2006, 09:27 PM
1-11

or

2-9

maybe

3-8

I'm saving this thread. This will be fun to watch.

Jimminy Crimson
4/2/2006, 09:31 PM
7-5

FroggyStyle22
4/2/2006, 11:10 PM
For what it's worth SDSU had a lot of talent last year they just didn't play smart/ hard all year. I think they gave up on their coach. IF Long is able to motivate them I would not be suprised to see them get close to being bowl eligible.

Sooner24
4/2/2006, 11:12 PM
With the Big Word Guy as his top assistant coach I say 12-0 regular season. :lwm:

skanklor
4/3/2006, 04:00 AM
I just want to thank those guys for hiring him away.

yermom
4/3/2006, 04:38 AM
I bet they're only favored in three games...looks tough, 'cept these games...

i'd think Wyoming shouldn't be that tough

NM and CSU aren't exactly powerhouses either

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 05:12 AM
I think they lose UTEP, @Wisconsin, Utah, BYU, and TCU. The rest of their games are winnable. A lot will depend on how well Chuck prepares them and how they handle going 0-3 to start the season. If they can win one of the first 3 games they might do well.

UTEP is pretty good under Price
Wisconsin has more talent
Utah will have Tommie Grady under center
San Jose State should be winnable
BYU can play pretty well in Mormon country
Air Force can be tough when they want to be
Cal Poly is easily winnable
Wyoming is winnable
UNLV is winnable
TCU can be dangerous, as we found out last year
New Mexico is winnable
Colorado State could be tough, but they get them in San Diego

I'd say at least 5 wins. Bowl eligible with some breaks.

Scott D
4/3/2006, 11:41 AM
so Sapper, you are confident that Grady will beat out the incumbent starter who was a Sophomore last year?

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 12:00 PM
so Sapper, you are confident that Grady will beat out the incumbent starter who was a Sophomore last year?

Of course. Aren't you? The threeway QB battle at Utah this spring and summer will end with Grady at the helm. Mark it down.

Jason White's Third Knee
4/3/2006, 01:07 PM
I see 3-9 season. There are 4 more winnable games their, but te ball will have to bounce the right direction.

NickZeppelin
4/3/2006, 01:18 PM
I have no idea about SDSU's overall talent. I think they have a solid running back in Hamilton but outside of that I couldn't tell you anyone else on the team. So I'll guess 4 wins from the schedule. Chuck will make that offense tough to defend for anyone. I don't know if they'll have a defense though.

Vegas Sooner
4/3/2006, 01:21 PM
well UNLV looks Pretty terrible, so I'd pencil in a win there.

MikeInNorman
4/3/2006, 02:04 PM
Things at SDSU are being focused in a direction that is not exactly MWC and/or California-style. Out of 18 available scholarships in the most recent signing period, CL signed 10 OL and DL. Also, Bob Elliott of KSU is the new DC, so the defense will definitely be physical.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 11:04 AM
3-9. Anybody know what Chuckie's coaching staff looks like??? I figured he would be bringing in some IOWA boys with him.....

MikeInNorman
4/25/2006, 12:22 PM
3-9. Anybody know what Chuckie's coaching staff looks like??? I figured he would be bringing in some IOWA boys with him.....

There's definitely an Iowa connection, also KSU. As such, SDSU will not be a typical MWC team. CL spent the entire spring practice preaching toughness, finding out who wanted to play and who didn't. By all accounts, the California players had not been through a spring quite like that. CL also caused quite a consternation by banning the players from surfing. :D

One final thing: Heupel might not be at OU right now if CL hadn't offered him the SDSU QB coaching job. That gave Bob the excuse he needed to steal JH from Mike, since JH would have gone to SDSU if Bob hadn't come calling.

SDSU coaches:

Chuck Long - Head Coach
Bob Elliott - Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator (KSU, Iowa)
Del Miller - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (KSU, Aggy, Iowa)
Joe Bob Clements - Defensive Line (KSU)
Jonathan Himebauch - Offensive Line (High School, CFL, UNLV)
Larry Holton - Running Backs (various, Iowa)
William Inge - Linebackers (Colorado, Northern Iowa, Iowa)
Thom Kaumeyer - Defensive Backs (SDSU holdover, former DC)
LeCharls McDaniel - Wide Receivers (SDSU holdover)
Toby Neinas - Tight Ends/Special Teams (Temple, UAB, Missouri)
Brian Stark - Director of Football Operations (SDSU holdover)
Jon Francis - Strength & Conditioning Coach (SDSU holdover)
Rahn Sheffield - Speed & Conditioning (SDSU Head Track Coach)

soonersam
4/25/2006, 12:45 PM
11-0 and a NC in his first year..... and Gas prices will fall below 2.00 before I die...

OU4LIFE
4/25/2006, 12:52 PM
I have no idea

uh-huh.

shavedmarmoset
4/25/2006, 01:18 PM
There's definitely an Iowa connection, also KSU. As such, SDSU will not be a typical MWC team. CL spent the entire spring practice preaching toughness, finding out who wanted to play and who didn't. By all accounts, the California players had not been through a spring quite like that. CL also caused quite a consternation by banning the players from surfing. :D

Are you serious? That's unnecessary. How does that help them at football? If I played for SDSU I would be pi$$d.

SoonersEnFuego
4/25/2006, 01:20 PM
2 wins
San Jose
and Cal Poly

Sorry Chuck

Duke o Brewery
4/25/2006, 02:19 PM
5-7

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 08:53 PM
11-0 and a NC in his first year..... and Gas prices will fall below 2.00 before I die...

DDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :mad:

Just kidding. :)

aztecwilliam
4/26/2006, 12:03 AM
How will Chuck Long and San Diego State do this year? :-)

Sat 12/02/06 Colorado State* San Diego, Calif.

First of all, I hope you Sooner fans won't mind an S.D.S.U. grad's jumping in here. (By the way, that's our preferred abreviation. San Diego State University = S.D.S.U.) I feel somewhat less timid about doing so, since Oklahoma is about the only national football power that the Aztecs have broken even with on the gridiron.

Anyway, to answer your question, if the Aztecs win fewer than 6 games in '06, we will be sending Chuck Long back to you on the fastest plane we can find. If they win six, we may let him stay. Don't worry, though. Almost everyone here is impressed with Long and his staff. Furthermore, S.D.S.U. has a load of good players returning, plus some promising recruits.

The attitude that I have seen from some of the posts in this thread is what we are used to having to deal with. In short, we get little respect. The best we can do is point to how we almost beat Michigan and Ohio State in recent years. And I do mean almost. Had our starting QB not been injured, it's highly likely we would have beaten the Luckeyes...I mean Buckeyes a couple of years ago.

Anyway, here is the season as I see it. And to clarify my credentials, I have been an Aztec fan since the early sixties when Don Coryell was starting his terrific run as head coach. Okay....

-------------------------------------
This could be the most important game of the year. Win it, and the Aztecs will have a big leg up on becoming bowl eligible. The Minners used to be terrible; in fact, the Aztecs beat them 34-0 a couple of years ago in El Paso. Mike Price has done a great job there, but I am still picking S.D.S.U.

---------------------------------------
We can dream, can't we? The last time we won a big game was in '77 when we crushed Florida State 41-16. (We still got snubbed at bowl bid time, despite a 16th ranking and a 10-1 record; see, I told you we get no respect.) Let's just say a loss is probable.

-----------------------------------------
We beat them in Salt Lake City last year, so why shouldn't be beat them in San Diego? Could be a tough game, but the Utes aren't what they were in '04 I say a win.

------------------------------------------------
You may know that Bill Tomey is the new Spartan HC. I'm sure he is improving their program, but we scored 52 points on them last year, so I say a win

--------------------------------
Outside of Utah transplants, you will find, oh, say three or four football fans in San Diego who do not really dislike the Cougs. I changed my seats in the Q to the opposite side so I wouldn't have to sit next to the BYU fans. Well, we beat the hell out of them in '05, 31-10, but I will count this a loss so I won't appear too optimistic

Has Oklahoma ever played the flyboys? If you ever do, warn your coaches about their habit of using cut blocks. More than a few injuries have resulted from them. Air Force is well coached and very disciplined, but I think their overachieving has run out of gas. We win this one.

Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo) is an ancient foe from S.D.S.U.'s small college days. A good I-AA team which we will beat fairly easily.

--------------------------------------------
Wyoming can be tough in Laramie. My grandmother would be tough at that altitude if she lived there year-round. We took them last year and I say we do again in '06, but it could be a difficult game.

Twice in the last decade the Aztecs rolled over and played dead to the delight of absolutely horrible Rebel teams. (Have the Sooners ever lost to a winless team late in the season?) Not this year. It could be ugly.

--------------------------------------
You may know that, if the new BCS rules had been in place last season, the Horned Frogs would have been in a BCS bowl. A really good program. But, with a so-so team, we still lost by just 3 points last year here. I say a loss in a good game.

---------------------------------------------
New Mexico used to be an embarassment, as were Colorado State and UTEP. They have been playing well lately, and made us look stupid here last year. We haven't beaten them in several years, but I predict that to end in Nov.

Sat 12/02/06 Colorado State* San Diego,
------------------------------------------
As with Air Force, I think the Rams decade long run of excellence has lost steam. Sonny Lubick is a good coach who has done wonders in Ft. Collins. But we won there last year and should do so again.

That comes out to a 9-3 record. No, I have not been using controlled substances. San Diego State has had, year in and year out, athletes as good as or better than any in the conference. (Survey NFL rosters and you will find more former Aztecs than any Mountain West team with the possible exception of TCU. And I don't have to explain who Marshall Faulk is.)

The coaching has been suspect in many cases, though. That and being horribly overscheduled. And an Aztec curse seems to be developing , such as the "phantom fumble" that caused a loss in the last minute to Colo. St in '04.

We are enthusiastic about Chuck Long. The no-surfing edict has raised eyebrows, it's true, but overall Long and his staff seem to be off to a good start. Only the loss of two top TEs in spring drills has been a negative.

It's time for S.D.S.U. to at least reach their potential, if not over-achieve. The players are there. The coaches are there. I said 9-3. 7-5 is the poorest record which realistic Aztec fans will be satisfied with. I think they can and probably will do a bit better than that. Don't forget, we play in the Mountain West, not the Big-10 or Big-12.

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2006, 12:49 AM
First of all, I hope you Sooner fans won't mind an S.D.S.U. grad's jumping in here. (By the way, that's our preferred abreviation. San Diego State University = S.D.S.U.) I feel somewhat less timid about doing so, since Oklahoma is about the only national football power that the Aztecs have broken even with on the gridiron.

Anyway, to answer your question, if the Aztecs win fewer than 6 games in '06, we will be sending Chuck Long back to you on the fastest plane we can find. If they win six, we may let him stay. Don't worry, though. Almost everyone here is impressed with Long and his staff. Furthermore, S.D.S.U. has a load of good players returning, plus some promising recruits.

The attitude that I have seen from some of the posts in this thread is what we are used to having to deal with. In short, we get little respect. The best we can do is point to how we almost beat Michigan and Ohio State in recent years. And I do mean almost. Had our starting QB not been injured, it's highly likely we would have beaten the Luckeyes...I mean Buckeyes a couple of years ago.

Anyway, here is the season as I see it. And to clarify my credentials, I have been an Aztec fan since the early sixties when Don Coryell was starting his terrific run as head coach. Okay....

-------------------------------------
This could be the most important game of the year. Win it, and the Aztecs will have a big leg up on becoming bowl eligible. The Minners used to be terrible; in fact, the Aztecs beat them 34-0 a couple of years ago in El Paso. Mike Price has done a great job there, but I am still picking S.D.S.U.

We can dream, can't we? The last time we won a big game was in '77 when we crushed Florida State 41-16. (We still got snubbed at bowl bid time, despite a 16th ranking and a 10-1 record; see, I told you we get no respect.) Let's just say a loss is probable.

-----------------------------------------
We beat them in Salt Lake City last year, so why shouldn't be beat them in San Diego? Could be a tough game, but the Utes aren't what they were in '04 I say a win.

------------------------------------------------
You may know that Bill Tomey is the new Spartan HC. I'm sure he is improving their program, but we scored 52 points on them last year, so I say a win

--------------------------------
Outside of Utah transplants, you will find, oh, say three or four football fans in San Diego who do not really dislike the Cougs. I changed my seats in the Q to the opposite side so I wouldn't have to sit next to the BYU fans. Well, we beat the hell out of them in '05, 31-10, but I will count this a loss so I won't appear too optimistic

Has Oklahoma ever played the flyboys? If you ever do, warn your coaches about their habit of using cut blocks. More than a few injuries have resulted from them. Air Force is well coached and very disciplined, but I think their overachieving has run out of gas. We win this one.

Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo) is an ancient foe from S.D.S.U.'s small college days. A good I-AA team which we will beat fairly easily.

--------------------------------------------
Wyoming can be tough in Laramie. My grandmother would be tough at that altitude if she lived there year-round. We took them last year and I say we do again in '06, but it could be a difficult game.

Twice in the last decade the Aztecs rolled over and played dead to the delight of absolutely horrible Rebel teams. (Have the Sooners ever lost to a winless team late in the season?) Not this year. It could be ugly.

--------------------------------------
You may know that, if the new BCS rules had been in place last season, the Horned Frogs would have been in a BCS bowl. A really good program. But, with a so-so team, we still lost by just 3 points last year here. I say a loss in a good game.

---------------------------------------------
New Mexico used to be an embarassment, as were Colorado State and UTEP. They have been playing well lately, and made us look stupid here last year. We haven't beaten them in several years, but I predict that to end in Nov.

Sat 12/02/06 Colorado State* San Diego,
------------------------------------------
As with Air Force, I think the Rams decade long run of excellence has lost steam. Sonny Lubick is a good coach who has done wonders in Ft. Collins. But we won there last year and should do so again.

That comes out to a 9-3 record. No, I have not been using controlled substances. San Diego State has had, year in and year out, athletes as good as or better than any in the conference. (Survey NFL rosters and you will find more former Aztecs than any Mountain West team with the possible exception of TCU. And I don't have to explain who Marshall Faulk is.)

The coaching has been suspect in many cases, though. That and being horribly overscheduled. And an Aztec curse seems to be developing , such as the "phantom fumble" that caused a loss in the last minute to Colo. St in '04.

We are enthusiastic about Chuck Long. The no-surfing edict has raised eyebrows, it's true, but overall Long and his staff seem to be off to a good start. Only the loss of two top TEs in spring drills has been a negative.

It's time for S.D.S.U. to at least reach their potential, if not over-achieve. The players are there. The coaches are there. I said 9-3. 7-5 is the poorest record which realistic Aztec fans will be satisfied with. I think they can and probably will do a bit better than that. Don't forget, we play in the Mountain West, not the Big-10 or Big-12.

The surfing rule is probably a good one. I'm not the least bit familiar with your team, but when a new coach wants to step things up a notch and install some missing discipline it might not be such a bad idea to make the players focus solely on football for awhile.

GuyMo had a similar policy of banning almost all non-football related activities even taking away our players' playstations and cell phones. It's rough but if they're coached well it can pay off in spades in the long run.

soonerjoker
4/26/2006, 10:42 AM
aztecbill probably knows as much about sdsu as other posters on here.

Ewabeach
4/30/2006, 10:06 AM
Hiring Chuck was a square peg in a round hole. His first class was abominable even by SDSU standards. All their strength coaches are track guys as they moved their old coach over to other sports due to a spat between him and their old Coach. Too bad the guy was good Pete Carroll offered him the Job when he took over at USC,Mike Price offerd him a Washington State ans he was offerd at Ohio State as well.. I do not agree with Aztecwilliam,I am an old old Aztec fan.(Stevem) They have little talent lack speed, Lack toughness,and lack strength.Almost none of their returning players got any kind of all MWC honors. West Coast recruiting is an art in the mid majors,a balancing act between High School players with potential and getting quality JC players. I see Long back as a OC in the Big12/10 in three years as 50 % likely. They will win four games this year,maybe five.Long nees a Big12/10 style weight program and heavy JC recruiting in the line for next year,if he is going to reach a bowl game.If he can do that he cahn hang on a have Good run at SDSU. Then there si thelittle problem of the Stadium.:mad:

OUinFLA
4/30/2006, 07:23 PM
how many games can you win after all the opponents figure out it will be
run
run
pass
punt.

SoonersEnFuego
5/1/2006, 08:30 AM
Or it could be
run gain 6
run gain 9
run gain 5
run gain 8
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass
pass

Lose NC.

Boarder
5/1/2006, 10:16 AM
According to Jason White, the OU players aren't supposed to wakeboard. Probably due to possible injuries.

MikeInNorman
5/1/2006, 11:00 AM
I'll say this for my fellow Sooners.

They know how to hold a grudge to the total exclusion of all else.