PDA

View Full Version : Capilari's Website

OUGreg723
4/1/2006, 07:13 PM
My top two choices for our coach would be Jay Wright or John Capilari..

This would be a nice bonus with Capilari--HIS AWESOME WEBSITE!

We need something like this! It ROCKS!!

http://www.coachcalipari.com/calipari/main.aspx

Newbomb Turk
4/1/2006, 07:17 PM
pretty cool - takes a bit to load though.

OUGreg723
4/1/2006, 07:18 PM
I dont think we get Calipari though. I wouldnt ever leave those INCREDIBLE facilities!!

Ours are good, but not THAT good. Fed Ex Forum...Now that's what we need. That place is a PALACE.

Newbomb Turk
4/1/2006, 07:22 PM
I don't know why he'd leave there either.

boomersooner28
4/1/2006, 07:25 PM
He's probably going to try to use us to get a pay raise. I would like to see Jay Wright on OUr sideline next season, but that is a long shot as well.

OUGreg723
4/1/2006, 07:28 PM
I say we just knock the noble down after next year and Build the most beautiful 11-13 seat complex you ever saw. Bring the Campus feel inside the place. Build it out of redbrick and glass (Memorial Stadium BBALL style).

We never sold out Owen Field before we won championships, but Bud made an effort to expand seating. He had a vision. That's what we need in basketball. It only takes one championship. I think Coach Cal could give us that if he came. Just look at the heights he's brought MEMPHIS. We have 10x the moeny and recources that memphis has.

If you build it, they will come...

boomersooner28
4/1/2006, 07:58 PM
That'd be nice, but it isn't going to happen now, since they spent all kinds of money on the new facilities (practice facility and locker rooms), and the renovation of Lloyd Noble. We are stuck with LN for a while.

Newbomb Turk
4/1/2006, 08:00 PM
It's not the facility, as much as it is the seating/ticket philosophy.

OUstud
4/1/2006, 10:35 PM
Why don't we play a couple of home games at the Ford Center, Villanova/St. John style?

stoopified
4/2/2006, 12:08 AM
Why don't we play a couple of home games at the Ford Center, Villanova/St. John style?Sounds good to me.Better yet play half our home games there.Yeah I know,Blazers and Hornets have first dibs but it sounded good( in my head anyway).:D

azfanIV
4/3/2006, 03:37 AM
If Calipari isn't hired it'll be a travesty. This is OU's chance to put men's basketball back on the map for a long time to come. I couldn't imagine getting rid of dip**** and then getting this guy in his place. That would be way too much good Karma in OU's favor.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 06:01 AM
We're a FOOTBALL SCHOOL. Calipari wouldn't be stepping up to come here. It would be like Bob Stoops taking the head coaching job at North Carolina. Sort of doesn't make sense. We need some unproven superhero to come here and make stuff happen. If we get Calipari, though, Joe C is the man.

okienole3
4/3/2006, 08:06 AM
We're a FOOTBALL SCHOOL. Calipari wouldn't be stepping up to come here. It would be like Bob Stoops taking the head coaching job at North Carolina. Sort of doesn't make sense. We need some unproven superhero to come here and make stuff happen. If we get Calipari, though, Joe C is the man.

So, you are saying that Memphis basketball is equivalent to OU football or that North Carolina football is equivalent to OU basketball? Neither makes sense.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 08:21 AM
So, you are saying that Memphis basketball is equivalent to OU football or that North Carolina football is equivalent to OU basketball? Neither makes sense.

Memphis basketball has nothing to do with it, except that it is not one of the established superpowers of basketball.

Under Mack Brown, North Carolina Football had some similarities to the caliber of OU Basketball. The point being that OU is a football school. UNC is a basketball school. Basketball will never be king at OU any more than Football will be king at UNC. Therefore, a coach that wants to move UP instead of laterally will go to a school that is big in the sport he wants to coach.

If it were Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, or UCLA trying to get Calipari, they would probably be able to. We are not one of those schools. And like I said before; if Joe C pulls it off, he's the man.

okienole3
4/3/2006, 08:29 AM
My point is that saying Stoops going to UNC is equivalent to Calipari coming here doesn't make sense. Obviously that would be a step down, not even close to being lateral. Calipari here makes sense to me. Look at where he has coached before, UMASS and Memphis. This would be the most high profile job that he has had. I think that if he can do what he did with those two teams, he could very well take OU to the next level. I think it will all come down to $$$. It would be the kind of splash hire that I think we need right now.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 08:49 AM
I think it will all come down to $$$. It would be the kind of splash hire that I think we need right now.

I agree with these two statements. Obviously Stoops taking the job at UNC is a HUGE step down. My point is that OU is very much a football school just like UNC is very much a B-Ball school. OU and Memphis are about on-par in my estimation as far as B-Ball and not much else. Coming here would be a lateral move for Calipari. I don't see the big step up in profile, but I do see a big step up in pay, which is what it may come down to. If somebody were to come here and win a championship or two, then the profile would increase. Until then, we are not the force in the b-ball world you are making us out to be. We are an average b-ball school. In the late '80s Billy had a chance to make us what you are talking about, but Danny Manning erased that chance. I hope we get Calipari, but I'm not holding my breath.

BarryBnds
4/3/2006, 09:03 AM
I don't see the UNC football/OU basketball equivalent. OU has been very successful in basketball over the history of the program and won numerous conference championships over the past 25 years. UNC had a good run with one coach but still never won the ACC. We play in an elite conference and Memphis plays in a mid major. That's considered stepping up. If Mark Few came to OU it would be stepping up IMHO because Gonzaga wasn't anything but John Stockton before he went there. And the second he leaves it will return to the mid major it is. The same for Calipari. Memphis was awful when he got there and it would go back to that after he left.

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 09:14 AM
Memphis BBALL and North Carolina Football is a better comparison. Elite 8 and Mack had UNC in the top 10.

Memphis had a couple of really solid teams in the 90s- and the last two years under Calipari. OU is a step up for Calipari- question is- would it be a big enough step up & would you take him for 5-7 years and two final fours before he bolted for the NBA or an Elite JOB Nationally if one should open up.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 09:24 AM
Easy, everybody. I was just making an analogy. An analogy that apparently didn't sit well. I think our program has done some great things (including championships, an appearance in the NC game, and a recent final four appearance), but it doesn't really matter what any of us think about the program. It matters what Calipari thinks. If he sees it as a career move and/or big money move, we get him. If not, well...I'm just not sure anybody but us sees us as a big-time basketball program. But then, nobody saw Duke as being big until Krzyzewski got there. Now they are one of the premier teams in the country. Could be we need a guy like Calipari to elevate our program.

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 09:40 AM
Does anybody know what Calipari Makes now and if we can beat a counter offer- I mean if he is making a million and we are offering 1.2 - I see Memphis going ahead and anti up the extra 2 bills.

I would like to know what we could offer and how much Sampson made on endorsements- does anybody have an idea? I think 1.2 million was his base or run rate.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/3/2006, 10:02 AM
Well the Memphis rivals site is pretty well deserted so there is no news, rumor to get from it. Anyone know of a Memphis message board where we can see what the prevailing Tiger opinion is?

oumartin
4/3/2006, 10:07 AM
i think he makes 1.5

okienole3
4/3/2006, 10:24 AM
i think he makes 1.5
From the Memphis Rivals Board.

Cal will make 1.5 mill this year at Memphis. He has fantastic facilites and civic support. The city of Memphis loves its basketball and can provide him with talent. Cal can win national championships at Memphis.

Can he do that at Pitt? Does the city hindge on Pitt basketball? Memphis Tiger basketball is the biggest sports story in this city... I don't think Pitt basketball enjoys that same status.

I believe if Cal ever left Memphis, then it would be for a program like Indiana, Kentucky or Kansas. I don't see how Pitt could keep Cal... if the school could not hold onto Jaime Dixon. Arizona State is not a choice basketball school, yet they had more allure than Pitt...for Dixon. Why?

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 10:29 AM
Doh,

I don't think we are going to pony up 2 million for him- although I would think getting him would be worth it...

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 10:31 AM
Calipari has told insiders he'd like to work for Castiglione, and he doesn't mind operating in the shadow of OU's football program because he's a big admirer of coach Bob Stoops.

He also reportedly isn't that concerned about money. He has plenty from when he left the NBA (a $6 million buyout), and has indicated he'd be willing to sign an incentive-based contract with OU because he's confident he could succeed with the Sooners like he has everywhere else.

OU desperately needs someone like the charismatic and savvy Calipari to solve several problems that emerged during Sampson's 12 seasons.

From the other coach hunt board.

oumartin
4/3/2006, 10:33 AM
1.51 million would be more than he's making there. might be equivalent to more money living in norman

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 10:35 AM
Memphis is atleast 20% higher cost of living than Norman.

How much money does a school get for sweet 16 and elite 8?? If it is incentive based- and he could earn up to 3-4 million- for a guy like him I am sure he would prefer incentive based!