PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget - Daylight Savings Time goes into effect on Sunday

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 12:38 PM
Move your clocks ahead 1 hour on Sunday.

You can thank Jorge Boosh for f***ing all of this up, starting in 2007.
Part of his Energy Bill that passed last year changed DST as we have known
it for decades, for no logical reason.

Currently, daylight time begins in the United States on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October. On the first Sunday in April, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the last Sunday in October, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time.

These dates were recently modified with the passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Pub. L. no. 109-58, 119 Stat 594 (2005). Starting in March 2007, daylight time in the United States will begin on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November.

Not all places in the U.S. observe daylight time. In particular, Arizona and Hawaii.

In 2005, daylight time begins on April 3 and ends on October 30.

In 2006, daylight time begins on April 2 and ends on October 29.

In 2007, daylight time begins on March 11 and ends on November 4. [New law goes into effect.]

Beef
3/31/2006, 12:43 PM
More Americans should save more than they currently do.

Rhino
3/31/2006, 12:46 PM
You can thank Jorge Boosh for f***ing all of this up, starting in 2007.
Part of his Energy Bill that passed last year changed DST as we have known
it for decades, for no logical reason. It's actually pretty logical.

People like sunlight.

Okla-homey
3/31/2006, 12:51 PM
Just buy clocks with the built-in linky to the National Atomic Clock provided via GPS signal. They're cheap and no clock-setting hassles evar.

You're welcome

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 12:53 PM
fock you Ben Franklin!!!!

just kidding, I love DST after the first week.

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 01:05 PM
It's actually pretty logical.

People like sunlight.

Yes, I do too! But the thought that extending DST is going to
solve our energy crisis in any way is insane.

We need more nuclear power plants
We need to drill the **** out of the Gulf of Mexico for our own oil
We need to develop alternatives, such as hydrogen fuel cell vehicles

With more "daylight" available, that will encourage people to be out more
often and do more things, consuming more energy, that's why I don't think
it is logical at all.

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2006, 01:16 PM
In particular, Arizona and Hawaii.

PSA: I will be posting two hours later instead of one hour later than you f'n hillbillies.;)

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 01:18 PM
People like sunlight.

I'm not a big fan of it myself.

Sooner in Tampa
3/31/2006, 01:19 PM
You know what we do at my house...when the papers remind us to reset our clocks we do it. It just ain't that big of a deal. Life is too short to be worrying about little **** like this.

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, I do too! But the thought that extending DST is going to
solve our energy crisis in any way is insane.

We need more nuclear power plants
We need to drill the **** out of the Gulf of Mexico for our own oil
We need to develop alternatives, such as hydrogen fuel cell vehicles

With more "daylight" available, that will encourage people to be out more
often and do more things, consuming more energy, that's why I don't think
it is logical at all.

spek for the bold part.
as for the next paragraph, I used to feel the same way, but last year, I read an article which brought forth more benefits than I had imagined. Ill try to find it again.
One interesting fact is that crime seems to decrease under DST as it gets darker later. It was kinda weird but the logic was backed by factual data.

Then again most city riots have happened during the summer, I dont know how that figures into the crime statistics.

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 01:24 PM
You know what we do at my house...when the papers remind us to reset our clocks we do it. It just ain't that big of a deal. Life is too short to be worrying about little **** like this.

Ill just have to remember to use the spoiler tags on my posts about tv shows so Harry Beanbag doesnt throw another hissy fit.

Sooner in Tampa
3/31/2006, 01:30 PM
Ill just have to remember to use the spoiler tags on my posts about tv shows so Harry Beanbag doesnt throw another hissy fit.HEH

Hamhock
3/31/2006, 01:41 PM
I'm tired today. Somebody please figure out and post here: Does this help or hurt my early season bowhunting?

TIA

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 01:48 PM
Ill just have to remember to use the spoiler tags on my posts about tv shows so Harry Beanbag doesnt throw another hissy fit.

:mad: ;)

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 01:50 PM
People like sunlight.

Only if they're not in Oklahoma or Texas in June, July, or August.

Temperatures of 90+ at 10 pm succs.

olevetonahill
3/31/2006, 01:52 PM
The lazy one at 1tcs work " Great now my clocks will show the correct time for the next 6 months " the lazy one at 1tcs work
Oh wait thats My clocks :)

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 01:54 PM
spek for the bold part.
as for the next paragraph, I used to feel the same way, but last year, I read an article which brought forth more benefits than I had imagined. Ill try to find it again.
One interesting fact is that crime seems to decrease under DST as it gets darker later. It was kinda weird but the logic was backed by factual data.

Then again most city riots have happened during the summer, I dont know how that figures into the crime statistics.

Please do see if you can find it, I would be interested in trying to understand
the thought process for this.

ooooooooooooooohhhhhh, spek, that makes me happy in a special way. ;)

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 02:05 PM
Please do see if you can find it, I would be interested in trying to understand
the thought process for this.

During the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo, Congress placed the United States on an extended Daylight Saving Time for two years. In 1974 it lasted ten months and in 1975 for eight months. Afterwards, a myriad of studies revealed that Daylight Saving Time had these positive advantages. 1) Energy savings – during 1974-1975 months of Daylight Saving Time 10,000 barrels of oil were saved each day for a total of 600,000 in each of those years. 2) Daylight Saving Time prevents traffic accidents and saves lives – time for traveling to and from school and work was done during daylight. Fewer accidents happen during daylight hours. 3) Crime decreased – more errands and chores were completed during daylight hours and seemed to reduce exposure to various crimes that are more commonly committed in darkness than in daylight.

Time is money and turning it back and forth has impact on many industries. Candy industry associations have been lobbying to extend Daylight Saving Time past October 31, Halloween. Halloween is one of the biggest candy-giving holidays. An extra hour of daylight could result in millions of extra dollars in candy sales. The Barbecue Industry Association estimates that the extra hour of sunshine for a few weeks each year is worth over $30 million each year in sales. Organization fighting blindness supports more daylight because an extra hour of daylight is one more hour of eyesight.

A final note, Daylight Saving Time is singular not plural (Daylight Savings Time). Daylight is being saved therefore it is singular.

One of the biggest reasons we change our clocks to Daylight Saving Time (DST) is that it saves energy. Energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. Bedtime for most of us is late evening through the year. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights and TV.

In the average home, 25 percent of all the electricity we use is for lighting and small appliances, such as TVs, VCRs and stereos. A good percentage of energy consumed by lighting and appliances occurs in the evening when families are home. By moving the clock ahead one hour, we can cut the amount of electricity we consume each day.

Studies done in the 1970s by the U.S. Department of Transportation show that we trim the entire country's electricity usage by about one percent EACH DAY with Daylight Saving Time.

Daylight Saving Time "makes" the sun "set" one hour later and therefore reduces the period between sunset and bedtime by one hour. This means that less electricity would be used for lighting and appliances late in the day.

We also use less electricity because we are home fewer hours during the "longer" days of spring and summer. Most people plan outdoor activities in the extra daylight hours. When we are not at home, we don't turn on the appliances and lights. A poll done by the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated that Americans liked Daylight Saving Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings."

While the amounts of energy saved per household are small...added up they can be very large.

Note: by the time you finish reading this, it will be time to turn off your power consuming computer and go to bed.

Good night.

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2006, 02:17 PM
Fla, you go live in PHX some summer.

You pray for the sunset so it will get down to a cool 105 degs.

SoonerBorn
3/31/2006, 02:31 PM
Oh, heck, let's just switch to Swatch Internet Time (http://www.swatch.com/internettime/) and be done with it...

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 02:35 PM
Fla, you go live in PHX some summer.

You pray for the sunset so it will get down to a cool 105 degs.

Oh great, now you will bring out the Global Warming thread jackers.
Thanks again Flag!

:)

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 02:36 PM
Only if they're not in Phoenix in May, June, July, August, September, or October.

Temperatures of 100+ at 10 pm succs.

Fixed. And werd. :mack:

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 02:39 PM
Fixed. And werd. :mack:

But you don't have DST. :confused:

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 02:41 PM
But you don't have DST. :confused:

No, thank God.

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2006, 02:43 PM
Oh, heck, let's just switch to Swatch Internet Time (http://www.swatch.com/internettime/) and be done with it...Not enough party time.

olevetonahill
3/31/2006, 03:03 PM
Oh great, now you will bring out the Global Warming thread jackers.
Thanks again Flag!

:)
Speaking of Global Warming has anyone else noticed it starting to get very warm now ? whats up with that shat ? Thanks

Stoop Dawg
3/31/2006, 03:15 PM
A final note, Daylight Saving Time is singular not plural (Daylight Savings Time). Daylight is being saved therefore it is singular.

Note to the author: The days aren't actually longer!

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 03:15 PM
Speaking of Global Warming has anyone else noticed it starting to get very warm now ? whats up with that shat ? Thanks

It's Spring. You're welcome.

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 03:18 PM
Note to the author: The days aren't actually longer!

I cant believe you even read all that drivel.
I just cut and paste. :D

Stoop Dawg
3/31/2006, 03:22 PM
If I were opposed to reading drivel, would I be on the SO? ;)

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2006, 03:42 PM
WELCOME TO STOOLWATER, SET YOUR WATCHES BACK 70 YEARS!

http://amranshriners.us/images/photos/hillbillies/Hillbillies2.jpg

ChickSoonerFan
4/2/2006, 12:03 AM
Bump

Spring Forward everyone.

And good luck getting to work and the kids to school on time Monday...going to be tough in my house.

Newbomb Turk
4/2/2006, 12:05 AM
I hate losing an hour of my weekend. :mad:

soonerbrat
4/2/2006, 12:08 AM
i'm just glad my daughter's team didn't lose any games today...that means we don't have to be there at the 7:45 game

ChickSoonerFan
4/2/2006, 12:14 AM
i'm just glad my daughter's team didn't lose any games today...that means we don't have to be there at the 7:45 game

:eek:

That would be terrible! Your body would think it was 6:45!

soonerbrat
4/2/2006, 12:19 AM
yep...right now they're in 1st place in their group. they won 4-1 and tied 0-0 today..the team they tied played the team they beat and won 3-1..does that make sense? so they had 1 more point and that put them in 1st place

PhxSooner
4/2/2006, 01:15 AM
Just buy clocks with the built-in linky to the National Atomic Clock provided via GPS signal. They're cheap and no clock-setting hassles evar.

You're welcome
I thought it would be so great to have one of those. But I haven't figured out a way to let my atomic clock know that we don't observe DST, so it will be the only clock in our house that changes.:rolleyes: :mad:

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2006, 01:38 AM
Hooray Daylight Saving Time. Literally, it's about time.

olevetonahill
4/2/2006, 03:45 AM
WELCOME TO STOOLWATER, SET YOUR WATCHES BACK 70 YEARS!

http://amranshriners.us/images/photos/hillbillies/Hillbillies2.jpg
Now Im pizzed :mad: Flag I sent ya my pic as a friend and then ya fark it into an aggie pic . Now take My pic out ( im the one on the far left ):D

olevetonahill
4/2/2006, 03:47 AM
see my willie hanging out my overalls ?

BoogercountySooner
4/2/2006, 06:37 AM
I'm tired today. Somebody please figure out and post here: Does this help or hurt my early season bowhunting?

TIA You will be able to sleep in a little later because of the 2 week addition.:)

Okla-homey
4/2/2006, 06:56 AM
I thought it would be so great to have one of those. But I haven't figured out a way to let my atomic clock know that we don't observe DST, so it will be the only clock in our house that changes.:rolleyes: :mad:

There is a switch for DST and/or your time zone on the clocks. If you live somewhere which doesn't observe DST, you just switch off DST when you buy the clock and you're all set.

BajaOklahoma
4/2/2006, 08:51 AM
I will give you a count on the number of students who forgot to change their clocks and arrive late to school on Monday.

You have today to be late to stuff. By tomorrow, you should be back on schedule, unless you are a critter. My dogs will be confused for a week, then back to the normal wake me up before the alarm clock does.

I remember the hassle of trying to get the clocks set that first year. Now we are down to just a few clocks - the grandfater clock and the oven/microwave. And the cars.

Flagstaffsooner
4/2/2006, 08:55 AM
Why is everything on TV an hour earlier?;)

slickdawg
4/2/2006, 09:30 AM
During the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo, Congress placed the United States on an extended Daylight Saving Time for two years. In 1974 it lasted ten months and in 1975 for eight months. Afterwards, a myriad of studies revealed that Daylight Saving Time had these positive advantages. 1) Energy savings – during 1974-1975 months of Daylight Saving Time 10,000 barrels of oil were saved each day for a total of 600,000 in each of those years. 2) Daylight Saving Time prevents traffic accidents and saves lives – time for traveling to and from school and work was done during daylight. Fewer accidents happen during daylight hours. 3) Crime decreased – more errands and chores were completed during daylight hours and seemed to reduce exposure to various crimes that are more commonly committed in darkness than in daylight.

Time is money and turning it back and forth has impact on many industries. Candy industry associations have been lobbying to extend Daylight Saving Time past October 31, Halloween. Halloween is one of the biggest candy-giving holidays. An extra hour of daylight could result in millions of extra dollars in candy sales. The Barbecue Industry Association estimates that the extra hour of sunshine for a few weeks each year is worth over $30 million each year in sales. Organization fighting blindness supports more daylight because an extra hour of daylight is one more hour of eyesight.

One of the biggest reasons we change our clocks to Daylight Saving Time (DST) is that it saves energy. Energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. Bedtime for most of us is late evening through the year. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights and TV.

In the average home, 25 percent of all the electricity we use is for lighting and small appliances, such as TVs, VCRs and stereos. A good percentage of energy consumed by lighting and appliances occurs in the evening when families are home. By moving the clock ahead one hour, we can cut the amount of electricity we consume each day.

Studies done in the 1970s by the U.S. Department of Transportation show that we trim the entire country's electricity usage by about one percent EACH DAY with Daylight Saving Time.

Daylight Saving Time "makes" the sun "set" one hour later and therefore reduces the period between sunset and bedtime by one hour. This means that less electricity would be used for lighting and appliances late in the day.

We also use less electricity because we are home fewer hours during the "longer" days of spring and summer. Most people plan outdoor activities in the extra daylight hours. When we are not at home, we don't turn on the appliances and lights. A poll done by the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated that Americans liked Daylight Saving Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings."

While the amounts of energy saved per household are small...added up they can be very large.

Note: by the time you finish reading this, it will be time to turn off your power consuming computer and go to bed.

Good night.

Thank you for posting "thier side", I can certainly agree with the Halloween logic, but in this 24x7 world, I don't know that this will make much difference
today. 1974 does not equal 2006 in society terms.

soonerjoker
4/3/2006, 10:53 AM
are they're really more "day light hours" during DST ??
i bet farmers don't care whether they're on DST or standard time,
they still work from dawn till dusk.

OUinFLA
4/3/2006, 11:43 AM
are they're really more "day light hours" during DST ??
i bet farmers don't care whether they're on DST or standard time,
they still work from dawn till dusk.

This is true, and in the summer, I miss Survivor cause it is still light out.