PDA

View Full Version : Run-In With A Lady At Wal-Mart

VeeJay
3/31/2006, 10:07 AM
This morning I stop in at a Wal-Mart on the way to work. It's on University Drive in Miramar, close to Dolphins Stadium (Orange Bowl), so I figure 7 a.m., the crack lords will have been crashed and the petty criminals haven't begun plying their trade this early, either.

Wal-Mart is relatively quiet except for the floor cleaning people and a few harried clerks trying to get their stock put up, probably working off the clock, but that's for another thread.

I grab what I need, just a couple of things Mrs. VJ asked me to pick up, and go to the check out line. 20 registers at the front of the store, and one li'l old lady checking out a line that's snaking back through the store. I stand there 10 minutes and the person hasn't even gotten checked out yet. Suddenly, li'l old lady turns her light on Blink status, which means she needs a manager. Crowd including me is growing restless. Other employees are standing around. Blue vests, red vests, keys dangling, service pens adorning their vests, etc.

I put my crap down and walk out. On the way, past the service desk I see three more blue vesters standing around with the slogan "How May I Help You?" I say to one of 'em: "20 cash registers and there's only one open. You got people walking outta here. You got a problem."

Lady says "You need to tell the lady in the red vest at the podium. I'm just a nobody." Then, "I'm not trying to throw it off on them, but that's who needs to hear it. I'll go tell her. I'm just a nobody."

I'm thinking, "Yes, ma'am, this is your destiny in life. Any wonder why?Thanks for the help."

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 10:09 AM
yet ANOTHER reason I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in nearly 2 years.

Sooner in Tampa
3/31/2006, 10:10 AM
Don't get people started...it's Friday.

JohnnyMack
3/31/2006, 10:11 AM

spek.

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 10:13 AM

So that's why their sales have tanked. Oh. Wait. ;)

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 10:14 AM
I went there in college, cause things were usually cheaper. When I got out and got a J-O-B I swore I'd never go back. I'll gladly pay a few cents more and shop elsewhere.

I usually do my grocery shopping at Crest (It's worth driving to Moore) and if I just need something on a weeknight I'll go in Albertson's or IGA cause it's close. I also shop the Albertson's sale ad and might get a few of those things.
For other "stuff" I get it at Target usually.

yermom
3/31/2006, 10:14 AM
This morning I stop in at a Wal-Mart on the way to work. It's on University Drive in Miramar, close to Dolphins Stadium (Orange Bowl), so I figure 7 a.m., the crack lords will have been crashed and the petty criminals haven't begun plying their trade this early, either.

Wal-Mart is relatively quiet except for the floor cleaning people and a few harried clerks trying to get their stock put up, probably working off the clock, but that's for another thread.

I grab what I need, just a couple of things Mrs. VJ asked me to pick up, and go to the check out line. 20 registers at the front of the store, and one li'l old lady checking out a line that's snaking back through the store. I stand there 10 minutes and the person hasn't even gotten checked out yet. Suddenly, li'l old lady turns her light on Blink status, which means she needs a manager. Crowd including me is growing restless. Other employees are standing around. Blue vests, red vests, keys dangling, service pens adorning their vests, etc.

I put my crap down and walk out. On the way, past the service desk I see three more blue vesters standing around with the slogan "How May I Help You?" I say to one of 'em: "20 cash registers and there's only one open. You got people walking outta here. You got a problem."

Lady says "You need to tell the lady in the red vest at the podium. I'm just a nobody." Then, "I'm not trying to throw it off on them, but that's who needs to hear it. I'll go tell her. I'm just a nobody."

I'm thinking, "Yes, ma'am, this is your destiny in life. Any wonder why?Thanks for the help."

that's why you'll never make captain, Kiff

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 10:15 AM
So that's why their sales have tanked. Oh. Wait. ;)

yes, I am smart enough to realize they don't miss my money there, they have so many other people's. I just HATED going in there & fighting with the RUDE people & crowd to get my groceries. I can do without that, thanks.

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 10:17 AM

We've grown rather fond of Target.

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 10:17 AM
ME TOO!

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 10:18 AM

I'm going on 4 years myself. That place blows.

We've got two Super Targets within 5 miles of our house. That place rawks.

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 10:19 AM
I'm going on 4 years myself. That place blows.
We've got two Super Targets within 5 miles of our house. That place rawks.

oh wow. spek to you.

and I'm excited about the one being built in Norman.

OU Adonis
3/31/2006, 10:19 AM
But its French, people... come on!

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 10:23 AM
We hate Wal Mart so much, we drive to Slidell, LA (30 miles) to go to Target.

Wal Mart is the succ.

p.s. hopefully we get to move to Dallas much sooner than expected, and there are plenty
of Target stores there.

picasso
3/31/2006, 10:35 AM
I go to Wal-Mart, Sam's and Target. I don't discriminate. All 3 have stuff I need.
Target has some nicer things but I do like the Super Wally World's grocery section.

Osce0la
3/31/2006, 10:46 AM
It seems to me that every Wal Mart you go in these days is full of rude, ignorant people (customers and employees). Even one girl that I know that works at Wal Mart tends to be an *ss while she's working - and she's one of the nicest people I know when she's not at work. I try to stay away from Wal Mart as much as possible now, not only because of the rude employees/customers, but because of instances like that mentioned above- too many customers, too few check out lines, and then too many employees that have problems checking out and have to call for managers. Not to mention that it seems like the local Wal Mart parking lot here (it's sorrounded by other retailers and a movie theater) has become the hang out for teenagers...So once you get into the parking lot you have to deal with the loud music, and moronic driving of today's teens. I usually drive the extra few miles to Target.

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 10:48 AM
people that go on and on about hating WalMart remind me of the people in South Park that drive hybrids.

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 10:49 AM
My wal-mart experiences have drastically improved since the put in the 8 check yourself out lines. Plus, there's a nice one right by my place.

picasso
3/31/2006, 10:49 AM
I normally wait in line at Target just as long.

picasso
3/31/2006, 10:50 AM
people that go on and on about hating WalMart remind me of the people in South Park that drive hybrids.
oh snap!

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 10:50 AM

I agree. There are alot of people that have very vaild reasons not to like it, but others seem to just lump in with the "Wal-Mart is the Devil" theme. Like if Wal-mart didn't do what they do, someone else wouldn't have.

GDC
3/31/2006, 10:53 AM
I live in a small town and I hate having to spend two hours visiting with everyone I see that I know when I go in for what should be a ten minute trip.

Hamhock
3/31/2006, 10:56 AM
I love wal-mart.

that's all.

JohnnyMack
3/31/2006, 10:58 AM

I hate Wal-Mart. It's scummy. There, I judged.

Sooner in Tampa
3/31/2006, 10:59 AM
I hate Wal-Mart. It's scummy. There, I judged.:eek:

picasso
3/31/2006, 11:01 AM
anybody ever hit the new Super Wal-Mart right off the expressway near Rogers and Bentonville? I swear the place has marble floors.
it's the height and home of Wal-Martville. and nothing but sexy chicks walking about. it was quite an enjoyable experience.

XingTheRubicon
3/31/2006, 11:26 AM
This is the South Oval. Of course everyone hates Wal Mart. Whatever is most popular in any genre is the devil. That's the short cut to cool, apparently.

You can't drink Bud Light, only Anchor Steam from the gay hills of "the city."

and so on...

Nab'R
3/31/2006, 11:28 AM
I love Wal Mart
I hate Target.

Everything Target has seems cheap-o compared to Wal Mart. If that's possible. At least Wal Mart knows it has cheap-o stuff and doesn't try to be all haughty taughty.

JohnnyMack
3/31/2006, 11:28 AM
This is the South Oval. Of course everyone hates Wal Mart. Whatever is most popular in any genre is the devil. That's the short cut to cool, apparently.

and so on...

I drive an Accord, but I hate Wal-Mart.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

XingTheRubicon
3/31/2006, 11:29 AM
congrats on your Accord, bubble still in tact....

Osce0la
3/31/2006, 11:30 AM

and so on...

I prefer Budweiser anyway...

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 11:30 AM
I drive an Accord, but I hate Wal-Mart.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

I thought it was cool to hate GM and Ford and to love Honda and Toyota?

Looks like XTR's bubbel is intact. Hopefully it isn't like poor little Kaeru San's bubble.

XingTheRubicon
3/31/2006, 11:32 AM
No, it's a thick, vibrant bubble.

XingTheRubicon
3/31/2006, 11:35 AM
I prefer Budweiser anyway...

Yes, but you don't have a smart avatar with an equally smart matching caption, soooooooo.................

bubble at max gl2

NormanPride
3/31/2006, 11:36 AM
I don't want to hear ANY MORE about XTR's bubbel.

H.E.B. pwns the hell out of everything.

Case.

Closed.

Nab'R
3/31/2006, 11:39 AM
I refuse to buy groceries from a place with "butt" in it's name.

ultimatesooner1
3/31/2006, 11:44 AM
I live in a small town and I hate having to spend two hours visiting with everyone I see that I know when I go in for what should be a ten minute trip.

heh, the tahlequah wal mart.

gf & I stopped there one time when we went to Hulbert to see my cousin and she was like WTF, everyone stops to talk to everybody here and in OKC everyone tries to run you over to get out of there

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 11:50 AM
H.E.B. pwns the hell out of everything.

NRH > HEB

NormanPride
3/31/2006, 11:51 AM
NRH?

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 11:51 AM

Looks like XTR's bubbel is intact. Hopefully it isn't like poor little Kaeru San's bubble.

I have an Accord and an F150.

Not sure how that affects XTR's Mangino-like bubble though.

JohnnyMack
3/31/2006, 11:52 AM
congrats on your Accord, bubble still in tact....

I think Wal-Mart is skanky. Doesn't have anything to do with giving a **** what you or anyone else thinks.

I drive an Accord. Doesn't have anything to do with giving a **** what you or anyone else thinks.

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 11:53 AM
NRH > HEB

north richland hills?

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 11:54 AM
I have an Accord and an F150.

Not sure how that affects XTR's Mangino-like bubble though.

it makes it effervesce. I'm just guessing so I could be wrong.

TopDaugIn2000
I think Wal-Mart is skanky. Doesn't have anything to do with giving a **** what you or anyone else thinks.

I drive a CAMRY. Doesn't have anything to do with giving a **** what you or anyone else thinks.

Me too.

Harry Beanbag
it makes it effervesce. I'm just guessing so I could be wrong.

I wonder if you can have sex on it?

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 11:55 AM

I drive an Accord. Doesn't have anything to do with giving a **** what you or anyone else thinks.

quit trying to be cool;)

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 11:56 AM
I wonder if you can have sex on it?

I think TD2k did once...

slickdawg
3/31/2006, 11:57 AM
Here's what God thinks of Wal-Mart, he sent Hurricane Katrina shopping to
the one in Pass Christian, Mississippi.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1542/img4596large1sy.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
I think TD2k did once...

:mad:

(hey, it was good $$) :D

yermom

not everyone can drive a Subaru ;)

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 11:58 AM
NRH?

North Richland Hills--duh! Don't start with the Mid Cities smack unless you're ready to play tough in the paint. ;)

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 11:59 AM
anybody hear abou the über-walmart they're putting in Plano, TX? sounds gay.

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 12:02 PM
(hey, it was good $$)

Was this in the parking lot at work? Because if it was, the short hair and jeans aren't your only image problem.

TopDaugIn2000
3/31/2006, 12:02 PM

no, but the one being built in Purcell (HUGE eyesore along I-35, it's *** is right on the interstate basically) is ALL the talk down here in PV. :rolleyes:

NormanPride
3/31/2006, 12:03 PM
North Richland Hills--duh! Don't start with the Mid Cities smack unless you're ready to play tough in the paint. ;)

....? I've never been there, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

All I know is that I worked for H.E.B. in the central office, and it kicked the *** out of wal-crap.

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 12:03 PM

Dude!
http://66.34.250.71/forums/showpost.php?p=1277869&postcount=42

1stTimeCaller
3/31/2006, 12:04 PM
not everyone can drive a Subaru ;)
http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2005/subaru.outback/05.subaru.outback.f34.500.jpg

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 12:06 PM
not everyone can drive a Subaru

Less than 10% of the population, depending on whose numbers you believe.

walkoffsooner
3/31/2006, 12:32 PM
From what I understand from people that worked at walmart they are about to snap.Management believes in degrading people to get performance up from workers. I try not to go to store but when I do I move a few items around, it keeps a couple of people employed putting stuff back on correct shelves.

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2006, 12:38 PM

http://www.nbc5i.com/newsarchive/8161624/detail.html

I've been. I went because they redesigned the vision center and I work for a supplier of frames. Looks a lot better.

As for the rest of the store, everything on the shelfs is the same. The aisles are wider and have a hardwood floor laminate look. The pharamacy and the health and beauty sections are right by the grocery section. (opposed to all the way across the store at normal walmarts.

On the outside of the building the changed the names of the entrances.

"Food Center " is now "Market and Pharmacy Entrance"

"Retail Center" is now "Home and Living Entrance"

It was hilarious walking around because there were all these "non wal-mart" types talking on there cell phones. Few of the conversations I heard:

"No, no, it's really nice inside. Not dirty at all!"

"yeah the aisle are really nice and wide."

"They don't have any guns"

In the parking lot: "oh, I'm just headed into that new Wal-Mart. Gonna see what all the talk is about.

LilSooner
3/31/2006, 12:53 PM
I agree that HEB does indeed [paweorand (or however you guys are spelling it these days) ALL!

It was the one and only good thing about living in texass.

pb4ou
3/31/2006, 02:28 PM
Walmart gets the majority of my money.

GDC
3/31/2006, 02:31 PM
heh, the tahlequah wal mart.

gf & I stopped there one time when we went to Hulbert to see my cousin and she was like WTF, everyone stops to talk to everybody here and in OKC everyone tries to run you over to get out of there

Wal-Marts are the true social hubs of any small town that has one.

mdklatt
3/31/2006, 02:33 PM
I greatly prefer shopping at Albertson's to Wal-Mart, but not so much that I'm willing to essentially pay a $5-$10 cover charge for the experience. I can't wait for the Norman Super Target to open.

OUinFLA
3/31/2006, 03:41 PM
"yeah the aisle are really nice and wide."

this should be a resolution to my thread regarding body mass clogging up the aisles.
:D